27 November 2015 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Iraq AFPS 27 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US deploys dozens of ground troops to Syria Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- The United States has deployed dozens of ground troops to Syria claiming they will assist Kurdish forces in their battle against Daesh (ISIL) terrorists, sources say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Bob Work's Visit to Djibouti and Qatar DoD 27 Nov 2015
- Atlas V booster lands at Vandenberg AFNS 27 Nov 2015 -- One of the world's largest cargo aircraft recently delivered an Atlas V booster to Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- Lithuania Leads Calls for NATO Build-Up in Baltic States Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Lithuania's Defense Minister, Juozas Olekas, has called on NATO to deploy more troops in the Baltic region, following a meeting with the Supreme Allied Commander of the US European Command, Philip Mark Breedlove, in Vilnius.
- China, NATO Hold First Joint Anti-Piracy Drills in Gulf of Aden Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- The joint drills were intended to enhance bilateral communication and cooperation, and ensure peace and stability in the Gulf of Aden, Beijing said.
- NATO Aims for Containment Policy Toward Russia – Russian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- NATO has once again set the course to 'contain' Russia and alter the balance of power in Europe to its advantage, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
- Russia Respects Romania's Decision to Deploy US Missile Defense Systems Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Moscow respects the decision of Bucharest to deploy the elements of the US global missile defense system on its territory, Russian lower house speaker Sergei Naryshkin said Friday.
- Moscow slams Poland for backing NATO's anti-Russia stance Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- Russia accuses NATO member Poland of supporting the Western military alliance's 'desire' to contain Moscow's military might.
- Poland Budges on Purchase of Anti-Russia Missiles From US Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Poland's new defense minister Antoni Macierewicz announced that the government is suspending its agreement with the US defense contractor Raytheon for Patriot missiles, complaining that the contract's cost is too high while the term of delivery is too long.
- Russia, France to Boost Military, Intelligence Contacts - Kremlin Aide Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Russia and France will boost bilateral military and intelligence communications and monitor their effectiveness.
- Russia to Develop New Armored Vehicle Evacuation Equipment by 2019 Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Next year's plans include developing reconnaissance vehicles, unified evacuation vehicles based on the Tornado truck, as well as tracked evacuation and repair vehicles.
- Russian Military Holds Large-Scale Anti-Terrorist Drills in Amur Region Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Anti-terrorism units in Russia's Eastern Military District have conducted large-scale exercises to repel terrorist attacks in the Amur Region, the district's spokesman said Friday.
- Beijing confirms military support facilities in Djibouti People's Daily 27 Nov 2015 -- Beijing confirmed on Thursday its construction of 'military supporting facilities' in Djibouti, the first of its kind for China in Africa.
- China's peace commitment unchanged after military reshuffle People's Daily 27 Nov 2015 -- China's plan to reorganize its military administration structure and command system will not affect the country's defense policy, which is 'defensive in nature,' a spokesman for the Ministry of National Defense said on Friday.
- China conducts military exercise in Western Pacific Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- China's air force has again conducted military drills in the West Pacific in an attempt to scale up its air security and bolster its capabilities.
- India Successfully Tests Nuclear-Capable Agni-I Missile Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- India's Agni-I medium range ballistic missile was test launched successfully from the Abdul Kalam Island off India's shores on Friday, local media reported Friday.
- Canada to Supply Ukraine With $2.5Mln-Worth Military Equipment Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Canada will provide Ukraine with $2.5 million worth of demining equipment.
- Iran Navy prepared to strongly repel threats: Cmdr. Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the country's naval forces are prepared to strongly counter any threat against the country.
- U.S arms sales to Taiwan necessary: ex-AIT director CNA 27 Nov 2015 -- The United States has never said that it will stop selling weapons to Taiwan, William Stanton, former director of the Taipei Office of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), said Friday, adding that U.S. arms sales to Taiwan are necessary.
- China opposes to U.S. arms sale to Taiwan: Defense Ministry People's Daily 27 Nov 2015 -- China is resolutely opposed to any country's arms sale to Taiwan, said a spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense (MND) commenting on reports of U.S. upcoming announcement of $1 billion arms sale to Taiwan.
- German Air Force Involvement in Anti-ISIL Operations in Syria is Risky Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Berlin acknowledges that the participation in the anti-terror fight in Syria poses a risk, the German defense minister said.
- Corbyn expresses his opposition to Syria airstrikes Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- Britain's opposition Labour party remains divided over a proposed parliament vote on the UK military action in Syria.
- Russia Sanctions Turkey as Syria Coalition Efforts Fizzle VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- Russia is preparing sanctions against Turkey and stepping up military strikes over the downing of a Russian bomber along the Syrian border.
- France FM says okay for Syrian gov't forces to partake in anti-Daesh fight Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- In what appears to be a shift of position on the Syrian government by Paris, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius has said he believes it is okay for Syrian government forces to participate in the campaign against the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in Syria.
- Paris: Cooperation With Syrian Army Possible If Power Transition Guaranteed Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Friday he regarded cooperation with the Syrian army in fight against the Islamic State terrorists as an option if the guarantees of political power transition in Syria were provided.
- Lack of US-Led Coalition Strikes in Syria 'Unrelated' to S-400 Deployment Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- The absence of US-led coalition airstrikes against the Islamic State in Syria is not related to Russia's deployment of an advanced S-400 Triumf air defense system.
- Only Syrian Army Can Fight Terrorists in Syria on Ground - Kremlin Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian Armed Forces are the only real power that can tackle the Islamic State jihadist group and other terrorist organizations operating in Syria in ground operations, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday.
- Syrian Army Advances, Beats Back Terrorist Counterattack Near Palmyra Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian army has thwarted terrorists' attempt to counterattack near Palmyra as it continues its offensive south and east of the western province of Homs, the Syrian army spokesman told reporters.
- Russia conducts airstrikes near Turkish borders with Syria People's Daily 26 Nov 2015 -- Russia carried out 33 airstrikes Wednesday on militant positions in Syria's northern province of Aleppo near the Turkish borders, pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV said Thursday.
- Erdogan warns Russia not to 'play with fire' Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Russia not to "play with fire" amid ongoing tensions between the two countries over Ankara's recent downing of a Russian military aircraft over Syrian skies.
- Turkish President Says Putin's Remarks 'Unacceptable' RFE/RL 27 Nov 2015 -- Turkey's president has said Russian President Vladimir Putin's comments after he met in Moscow with French President Francois Hollande were 'unacceptable.'
- Turkish Pilots Informed Air Force Commander Before Downing Russian Su-24 Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- On Tuesday, a Russian Su-24 jet crashed in Syria. Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the plane was downed by an air-to-air missile launched by a Turkish F-16 jet over Syrian territory, falling 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) from the Turkish border.
- Turkey, Russia Continue War of Words VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- The war of words between Russia and Turkey over the downing of a Russian warplane continued Friday, with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warning Moscow not to 'play with fire.'
- UN agencies concerned about worsening humanitarian conditions of displaced Iraqis in Kurdistan UN News 27 Nov 2015 -- A recent assessment conducted by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) and REACH initiative found that the humanitarian situation of Iraqis displaced in the Kurdistan region of Iraq is worsening due to limited access to jobs and economic opportunities, forcing many to resort to negative coping mechanism to meet their basic food needs.
- Joint Statement on the South Sudan Peace Process US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2015
- Sudan: Ban condemns deadly attack in Abyei, urges swift action to bring perpetrators to justice UN News 27 Nov 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has strongly condemned the attacks last night by unknown assailants on the residence of the Ngok Dinka Paramount Chief in Abyei town, during which one Ethiopian peacekeeper from the UN Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and a young girl were killed.
- 21 killed in bomb attack on Shia Muslims in Nigeria Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- More than 20 people have been killed in a bomb attack targeting Shia Muslims during an annual religious procession in the northern Nigerian state of Kano.
- Joint Statement on Libya US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2015
- Use Pope's visit to restore peace, UN refugee agency tells Central African Republic's warring sides UN News 27 Nov 2015 -- The United Nations refugee agency called on warring groups in the Central African Republic (CAR) today to use Pope Francis's visit this weekend to rebuild national reconciliation after renewed violence since September triggered an 18 per cent increase in internally displaced persons (IDPs) to 447,500.
- ODNI Announces Transition to New Telephone Metadata Program Director of National Intelligence 27 Nov 2015 -- In January 2014, in a speech at the Department of Justice to address domestic and international concerns regarding U.S. intelligence activities, President Obama announced that the Intelligence Community would end the NSA bulk telephony metadata program conducted under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- IS Attacks Raise Odds of Closer International Cooperation VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- A new wave of Islamic State (IS) group terror attacks has exposed the vulnerability of countries across Europe and the Middle East, forcing governments to reconsider existing policies and raising the possibility of new alliances against the organization.
- EU Gun Dealers Go Dark, Sell Trafficked Firearms to Terrorists Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- As authorities in Germany confirm the arrest of a 34-year-old man, suspected of dealing in illegal weapons which have been linked to the November 13 Paris atrocities, questions are being asked about the extent of firearms trafficking in Europe.
- Serbian Arms Maker Says His Plant Made Guns Used In Paris Attacks RFE/RL 27 Nov 2015 -- The director of a weapons plant in Serbia has confirmed that at least two of the assault rifles used by Islamic militants during the Paris terrorist attacks on November 13 were manufactured by his company in the early 1990s.
- At Paris Memorial, Hollande Vows to Crush 'Army of Fanatics' VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande vowed Friday to crush the 'army of fanatics' who carried out this month's deadly terror attacks in Paris, as he presided over a national memorial service for the victims.
- Report: IS Claims Bangladesh Mosque Attack VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for an attack on worshippers at a Shi'ite mosque in northern Bangladesh that killed one and wounded three others, the U.S.-based monitoring organization SITE Intelligence Group said Friday.
- Syrian Migrants: Germans Still Welcoming After Paris Attacks VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- Syrian migrants living in a camp in the German town of Giessen say the Paris attacks have not changed the attitudes of local Germans toward them.
- US Backers of Syrian Refugees Step Up Campaign VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- U.S. advocates for Syrian refugees are intensifying a campaign to boost public support for resettling them in the United States, as opinion polls suggest more than half of U.S. citizens oppose the resettlement program.
- West Africa cannot recover from Ebola epidemic on its own – senior UN health official UN News 27 Nov 2015 -- Following the flare-up of Ebola in Liberia 77 days after the outbreak was declared over, the region's top coordinator of the United Nations response to the epidemic said the three West African countries most affected by the deadly disease cannot recover from its ravages on their own.
- Tsai registers for 2016 presidential election CNA 27 Nov 2015 -- A three-way race in Taiwan's next presidential election formally took shape Friday as Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairwoman Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and her running mate Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) registered to become the third set of presidential and vice presidential candidates.
- EU says charges against Turkey journalists 'worrying' Press TV 27 Nov 2015 -- The European Union (EU) has expressed concern over the arrest of two Turkish journalists on "espionage" charges after reports by the pair blew the lid off Ankara's arms delivery to the Takfiri terror groups operating in neighboring Syria.
- Russia's Rosatom Ready to Work With Japanese NPP Equipment Suppliers Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Russia's state nuclear energy corporation Rosatom is ready to develop cooperation with Japanese equipment suppliers to construct nuclear power plants, Rosatom's first deputy CEO for international business and development said Friday.
- Burkina Faso Heads to Elections Sunday VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- Politicians in Burkina Faso are in the homestretch ahead of general elections Sunday, when the country will choose a new president and parliament.
- Xi Jinping's 10 Key Remarks on Developing China-Africa Relations People's Daily 27 Nov 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping will attend and chair the Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) in early December in Johannesburg, South Africa. The remarks on developing China-Africa relations Xi delivered in recent years point the way for people to better understand China- Africa relations.
- New measures on the way for China-Africa cooperation People's Daily 27 Nov 2015 -- China will announce new measures to promote cooperation with Africa at an upcoming summit, said Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Thursday.
- China Releases Journalist Gao Yu for Declining Health VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- Imprisoned veteran Chinese journalist Gao Yu, 71, was released on medical parole on Friday, one day after Beijing's high court ruled to reduce her sentence from seven years to five years on appeal, according to her lawyer Shang Baojun.
- Chinese Activist Sentenced to 6 Years for Protesting Censorship VOA 27 Nov 2015 -- China has sentenced three human rights activists to harsh prison terms for participating in an anti-censorship protest in 2013.
- Kyiv Says Russia Cuts Coal Deliveries To Ukraine RFE/RL 27 Nov 2015 -- Ukraine's energy minister has told the parliament in Kyiv that Russia has begun to restrict coal supplies to Ukraine, days after the Kremlin threatened to punish Kyiv for a power blackout of Russian-annexed Crimea.
- Crimea Boiler Stations to Get Diesel Generators Amid Blackout - Crimea Head Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Boiler stations in the Republic of Crimea will be equipped with diesel generators amid electricity shortages caused by Crimea having been cut off from electricity supplies from Ukraine, the republic's head Sergey Aksyonov said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|