23 November 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 23 Nov 2015 [PDF]
- US Pushes for More Support in IS Fight, Big Increases Called Unlikely VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- The U.S. has vowed to work with its allies to ramp up efforts to destroy the Islamic State following a string of attacks outside the group's base in Syria and Iraq, but a significant amount of additional aid from European partners is 'unlikely,' a U.S. defense official told VOA.
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Special Forces Going Into Syria 'Very Soon' VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- The special U.S. envoy to the global coalition to counter the Islamic State group (IS/ISIL) said dozens of U.S. special operations forces will be deployed 'very soon' in Syria to work with Arab forces trying to isolate the group's self-proclaimed capital and end terrorist plots.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 23 Nov 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Problems Mount for Beleaguered Afghan Government VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- As winter approaches in Afghanistan, the Taliban offensive continues with a much greater intensity than it has previously at this time of year. The ongoing hostilities coupled with deepening economic troubles, unemployment estimated at around 24 percent and governance issues have brought President Ashraf Ghani's government under mounting opposition and public pressure.
- AF captain helps Afghan meteorologists forecast weather changes AFNS 23 Nov 2015 -- Building the Afghan air force from the ground-up takes time, equipment, and capable and professional people to sustain it.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Dutch Minister of Defense Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert DoD 23 Nov 2015
- U.S. Marines, Malaysian soldiers complete MALUS AMPHEX 15 USMC News 23 Nov 2015
- Stethem Joins with PLA(N) to Conduct Exercise NNS 23 Nov 2015 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) joined with People's Liberation Army-Navy PLA(N) guided-missile frigate Xuzhou (FFG 530) to practice the Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea (CUES) and conduct a search-and-rescue (SAR) exercise, Nov. 20.
- Arlington Hosts Reception in Jordan NNS 23 Nov 2015 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) hosted distinguished visitors in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan during a reception in port Aqaba, Jordan, Nov. 19.
- Ike Begins TSTA/FEP with CSG-10, CVW-3, DESRON-26 NNS 23 Nov 2015 -- The aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) (Ike) departed its homeport of Norfolk to begin Tailored Ship's Training Availability/Final Evaluation Problem (TSTA/FEP) Nov. 21.
- Total Loss: USAF Scraps 'Brand-Spanking-New' AC-130J Ghostrider Gunship Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- The US Air Force (USAF) has lost one of its brand-spanking-new AC-130J Ghostrider Gunships, which had to be scrapped after a test-flight went horribly wrong: the crew lost control and "momentarily inverted", losing approximately 5,000ft (1,500 m) of altitude. No one was killed during the crash, but the asset suffered $115 million worth of damage.
- Russia to Conduct a Surveillance Flight Over Norway Under Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Russian military experts will fly over the territory of Norway between November 23-27, acording to the National Nuclear Risk Reduction Center.
- Removal of Russian Equipment From Mistrals Completed Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- The removal of Russian radio-electronic systems from the French-built Mistral-class helicopter carriers commissioned but not received by Moscow is completed, a shipbuilding company DCNS spokesperson said Monday.
- Russian Eastern Military District Receives World's Heaviest Mortars Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- According to Russia's Eastern Military District spokesman, the world's most powerful self-propelled mortars have entered into service with artillery units in Primorsky Territory.
- Old Dog Learns New Tricks: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Keeps Evolving Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Russia's only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, will be modified in order to better accommodate the new aircraft it will be carrying, a representative of the Russian Navy said.
- Russia to Begin New Su-35 Communication Equipment Supplies to China in 2016 Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- According to Russia's United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation press service, UIMC will begin supplying China with state-of-the-art communication systems for its newly purchased jet fighters next year.
- Statement from Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the United Kingdom's Strategic Defense and Security Review DoD 23 Nov 2015
- Strategic Defence and Security Review: £178bn of equipment spending UK MOD 23 Nov 2015 -- Today (November 23) the Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) has been published, outlining investment in the RAF, Navy and Army to deter threats, protect the UK and its allies, and improve the ability to respond to crises.
- UK Defense Budget Invests in Anti-ISIL Chemical Weapons Defense Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Announcing its five year defense budget, the UK government said that some groups such as ISIL and al-Qaeda will try to carry out attacks using chemical, biological and radiological weapons.
- Britain Searches for 'Russian Submarine' Amid Defense Budget Talks Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- British and French forces are looking for what the UK media has termed a 'Russian submarine' as the country's navy calls for budget increases.
- UK to Spend $300Bln Over 10 Years on Strengthening Defense Capabilities Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- David Cameron said that London will allocate $300 billion over the next ten years to strengthen its defense capabilities.
- Britain's Cameron to Seek Parliamentary Approval for Airstrikes Against IS VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron offered France new assistance Monday for its airstrikes against Islamic State insurgents in Syria and said he would ask the British parliament later in the week for approval to join the fight against the jihadists.
- Iran Navy unveils new defense achievements ISNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Iran unveiled the newest achievements of the Navy in a ceremony on Monday attended by Army Deputy Commander-in-Chief Abdol-Rahim Mousavi and Iranian Navy Commander Habibollah Sayyari.
- 37th flotilla of Iran navy to be sent to Gulf of Aden soon ISNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Iranian Navy plans to send its 37th flotilla to the Gulf of Aden on December 1st, said Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari.
- Iranian Navy unveils new defense achievements Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- The Iranian Navy has unveiled new domestic achievements in another display of the country's naval defense capabilities.
- Russia Begins Securing Iranian Skies With S-300 Missile Deliveries Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Russia began deliveries of S-300 air defense systems to Iran, Iranian Ambassador to Russia Mehdi Sanai said Monday, as quoted as saying by the Tasnim news agency.
- S.Korea stages firing exercises in western islands near DPRK People's Daily 23 Nov 2015 -- South Korea's military on Monday staged its maritime firing exercises in northwestern islands near the sea boundary with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Yonhap news agency reported citing a military official.
- South Korea stages major drill near sea border with North Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- South Korea has begun a major live-fire military drill near the disputed sea border with North Korea, amid warnings of a "merciless" retaliation by Pyongyang.
- U.S. Begins Second Phase of Ukrainian Training, Equipping Mission AFPS 23 Nov 2015 -- The United States has begun the second phase of its Fearless Guardian mission to train and equip Ukrainian forces, Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis said today.
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 11/23/15 The White House 23 Nov 2015
- November 23, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 23 Nov 2015
- 23 November 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 23 Nov 2015
- China Wants US to 'Stop Provoking Trouble ' Over Spratly Islands Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- At the 10th East Asia Summit in Malaysia on Sunday, China's deputy foreign minister told dignitaries including US President Obama that the facilities being built on islands in the South China Sea have a civilian purpose, and warned other countries not to provoke China.
- At least 15 killed in fresh Saudi attacks on Yemen Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- Saudi fighter jets have carried out a new round of attacks on residential areas in four provinces in northern Yemen, killing more than a dozen people.
- Readout of the Plenary Meeting of the Global Coalition to Counter-ISIL US Dept. of State 23 Nov 2015
- French nuclear Carrier Charles de Gaulle joins operations against ISIS People's Daily 23 Nov 2015 -- The French Navy's Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier which sailed last Wednesday from Toulon naval base, south of France, to the eastern Mediterranean will officially join the fight operations against ISIS in today.
- Kremlin: Putin, Khamenei Agree On Syria RFE/RL 23 Nov 2015 -- Iran's supreme leader has praised Moscow's regional role - particularly in Syria - as 'effective' during a meeting with the Russian president in Tehran on November 23.
- Syrian army liberates more towns from Daesh in Homs Province Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- Syrian army has recaptured several towns from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists, following intense battles in the central part of the country.
- Russian airstrikes hit over 470 Daesh targets across Syria Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- Russia's Air Force has bombed more than 470 positions of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group across Syria over the past 48 hours, the Russian Defense Ministry says
- Another Day, Another Anti-Terror Barrage: Syrian Army Reports More Gains Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- The Iranian Fars news agency has reported the last 24 hours of the Syrian army's anti-terror operations, carrying out massive military operations in Aleppo, Dara'a, Idlib, Homs, Hama and Damascus.
- Russia Will Use Caspian Airspace Against ISIL as Long as Necessary - Putin Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Russia will use the airspace over the Caspian Sea to carry out its airstrikes against Islamic State militants in Syria as long as it's necessary, Putin noted.
- Gatecrashers: Russian Helicopters, Syrian Troops Poised to Retake Palmyra Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Buttressed by Russian air support, the Syrian Army stands poised to rid the ruins of Palmyra of its latest ruiners.
- HRW: Turkey Closing Border for Syrian Refugees VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- Turkey has all but closed its borders to Syrian refugees, according to a report by U.S.-based Human Rights Watch. The group accuses Ankara of pushing refugees into the arms of smugglers as Russia intensifies its bombing campaign in Syria.
- Supreme Leader: US pursuing goals in Syria, shifted tactics IRNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Monday that the US is pursuing its abortive goals in Syria through politics and negotiations.
- Iran's Zarif offers framework for Syria solution ISNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif proposed a framework for the resolution of the Syrian conflict mainly based on the non-interference of foreign players in Syrian internal affairs.
- Nigeria's Military Vows to Destroy Boko Haram as Attacks Continue VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- Nigeria's military is again vowing to destroy Boko Haram by the end of the year, even as the terrorist group Sunday launched another deadly attack in the northeast of the country, killing around eight people.
- Ukraine Suspends Cargo Traffic To Crimea Amid Blackout RFE/RL 23 Nov 2015 -- Ukraine has temporarily suspended cargo traffic to the Crimean Peninsula as the territory illegally annexed by Russia continues to deal with a power blackout after electricity pylons were destroyed by explosions over the weekend.
- Ukrainian Interior Minister Says Too Dangerous To Repair Damaged Power Towers RFE/RL 23 Nov 2015 -- The Ukrainian Interior Minister says just one of the four damaged transmission towers carrying electricity to Crimea can be repaired at the moment.
- Recent floods damage supply routes, vital infrastructure in Somalia, UN relief wing warns UN News 23 Nov 2015 -- The floods caused by recent heavy rainfalls in South Central Somalia have led to an interruption of humanitarian aid delivery, an escalation of local commodity prices, and an epidemic in water-borne diseases, the United Nations relief wing has warned in the latest situation update on the country.
- Old problems in Jerusalem's Old City IRIN 23 Nov 2015
- Amid violence, 'glaring lack of hope,' UN deputy chief urges action to break Israeli-Palestinian impasse UN News 23 Nov 2015 -- Nearly 12 months after the launch of the International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People with the aim of generating global engagement on 'the Question of Palestine,' security and hope in Gaza and in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, remain at a "very low point," observed UN Deputy Secretary-General, Jan Eliasson today.
- Belgium Detains Five More Suspects RFE/RL 23 Nov 2015 -- Police in Belgium have conducted more raids, detaining five more people as they continue their hunt for a fugitive suspect in the Paris attacks.
- Europe's Most Wanted Man Eludes Massive Dragnet VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- Suspected Paris attacker Salah Abdeslam evaded a massive manhunt Sunday night involving raids in Brussels and its suburbs, but security forces Monday were also focusing on towns in eastern Belgium, suggesting police fear Europe's most wanted man might be trying to flee to neighboring Germany.
- Obama, Hollande to Meet in Wake of Paris Attacks VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- Less than two weeks after the deadly attacks in Paris, U.S. President Barack Obama welcomes his French counterpart, Francois Hollande, to the Oval Office for talks that are expected to go beyond America showing solidarity for its oldest ally - a grieving France.
- Hollande, Obama to Focus on Islamic State and Syria VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande will meet Tuesday with U.S. President Barack Obama as part of a multi-nation tour seeking to spur action against Islamic State militants and push for a political settlement to Syria's civil war.
- Kerry Says He Has 'No Doubt' IS Will Be Defeated VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday there is a united front against the Islamic State (IS) group and that he is absolutely convinced the militants will be defeated.
- Mali: UN Police help Mali Government probe of deadly terrorist attack UN News 23 Nov 2015 -- United Nations police are providing Mali with support and technical expertise in the investigation of Friday's deadly terrorist attack on the Radisson hotel in Bamako, the West African country's capital.
- Mali Attackers Threaten International Involvement VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- When armed gunmen barged into the Radisson Blu in Bamako last week it was not just an attack on a luxurious hotel in the Malian capital. The target the attackers chose symbolizes regional and international interests in Mali, a move that threatens foreign investments, stability and peace.
- Cameron Says UK to Develop Emergency Action Plan in Case of Terror Attacks Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- UK Prime Minister David Cameron said that the United Kingdom will soon have rapid response operational brigades that can quickly strengthen law enforcement in case of a terrorist attack.
- Transforming the Iranian Arak Nuclear Reactor US Dept. of State 23 Nov 2015
- US hails release of document outlining modernization of Iran's Arak reactor Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- The administration of US President Barack Obama has welcomed the release of a document by Iran describing the role of the P5+1 group of countries in modernizing the Arak reactor.
- Redesigning Arak Reactor lasts for 5 years ISNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Spokesman of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said the period of redesigning Arak heavy reactor would last for 5 years.
- Putin lifts ban on exports of uranium enrichment hardware to Iran ISNA 23 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree lifting the ban on supplying Iran with equipment for uranium enrichment, Russia's RT said.
- Russian President, Iranian Supreme Leader Hold 'Constructive' Talks Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Vladimir Putin and Ali Khamenei held a constructive conversation on bilateral relations, the Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.
- Putin Lifts Delivering Technology Ban for Modernizing Iran's Fordow Plant Sputnik 23 Nov 2015 -- Vladimir Putin has lifted the ban on delivering technology for modernizing Iran's Fordow nuclear facility and reactor in Arak
- UN seeks common European strategy on health care for refugee and migrant influx UN News 23 Nov 2015 -- As the unprecedented influx of refugees and migrants into Europe strains host countries' medical resources, the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) opened a high-level meeting in Rome today to draft a common strategy on health care for the newcomers, ranging from prompt vaccination against measles and polio to dealing with childbirth complications.
- ASEAN states create community larger than EU Press TV 23 Nov 2015 -- Southeast Asian nations have created a unified economic community larger than the European Union and North America.
- At Least 100 Dead In Landslide at Myanmar Jade Mine VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- At least 100 bodies have been recovered and rescue workers in northern Myanmar are pulling more bodies from the rubble Monday, two days after a massive landslide near a jade mine.
- Myanmar's New Ruling Party Looks to Agriculture for Growth VOA 23 Nov 2015 -- The incoming government of Myanmar, led by the National League for Democracy (NLD), is expected to focus on improving the country's agricultural sector and building on reforms launched by the government of President Thein Sein.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|