29 September 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 29 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Sep 2015 -- Yesterday, U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US, Russian Militaries Communicating on Anti-IS Fight in Syria VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has directed the Pentagon staff to communicate with Russia about coalition activity in Syria, in order to avoid any mistaken encounter between coalition and Russian forces there.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 29 Sep 2015 -- Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Pentagon: U.S. Forces Conduct Airstrike After Taliban Take Kunduz AFPS 29 Sep 2015 -- U.S. forces conducted an airstrike today on the outskirts of Kunduz, a provincial capital in northern Afghanistan that was taken yesterday by Taliban forces, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.
- Afghan Forces Battle Taliban to Retake Kunduz VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Heavy fighting raged near Kunduz City Airport Tuesday as Afghanistan national security forces, backed by U.S. airstrikes, engaged in a counteroffensive to wrest control of the northern city, taken by the Taliban the day before.
- Afghan president vows to retake Kunduz from Taliban Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- The Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani, has pledged to recapture the northern city of Kunduz from the Taliban as government troops launch a counter-offensive to drive out the militants.
- Afghan forces launch operation to retake Kunduz from Taliban Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- Afghan security forces have launched a counter-attack against Taliban militants, shortly after they gained control over the country's strategic northern city of Kunduz.
- Afghan Forces Launch Counterattack In Kunduz RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- Afghan security forces on September 29 launched an operation to retake the northern provincial capital of Kunduz from the Taliban, a day after Islamic militants from the movement seized the city from government troops.
- Voices From Kunduz: Fear, Disbelief As Taliban Controls City RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- It took only a few hours for the Taliban to seize much of the northern city of Kunduz in a lightening offensive that left the city in a state of stunned disbelief.
- Taliban Controls Afghan City of Kunduz Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- The Taliban's latest advances toward the provincial capital of Kunduz in Afghanistan resulted in the freeing of 900 prisoners, widespread theft within state and foreign institutions and fires set in their buildings.
- In wake of Taliban attack, UN rights chief urges protection of civilians in Afghan city of Kunduz UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Following yesterday's attack by the Taliban in the Afghan city of Kunduz, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights today urged both parties to the conflict to take all measures to protect civilians from harm.
Defense Policy / Programs
- RPA maintainers accomplish mission despite low retention AFNS 29 Sep 2015 -- The constant and insatiable demand for remotely piloted aircraft airpower places stressors on nearly every career field within the RPA enterprise. For some Airmen of the 432nd Maintenance Group, the fast-paced deployment rotation, constant shift work, time away from family, limited assignment options and struggle of daily process changes, are more than enough to make some choose not to re-enlist.
- Defense, Intel Leaders: Cybersecurity Priorities are Defense, Deterrence AFPS 29 Sep 2015 -- Defense and deterrence are two of the highest priorities for bolstering the nation's cybersecurity capabilities, top officials from the Defense Department and the intelligence community told a Senate panel.
- US bomber fleet unifies under 8th Air Force, Air Force Global Strike Command leadership AFNS 29 Sep 2015 -- BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFNS) -- Two bomb wings from the Air Combat Command ceremonially realigned Sept. 28 to Global Strike Command's 8th Air Force, bringing all of the service's bomber fleet under a single command.
- Georgia Joins NATO Rapid Response Force Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- Georgian Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili said that Georgian contribution to the NATO Response Force (NRF) includes 130 soldiers.
- France to Lose 250 Million Euros on Mistral Resale Deal With Egypt Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- Only last week, French president Hollande said the deal would not entail any financial costs for his country.
- France to Invest $4.5Bln in Indian Defense Under Rafale Deal Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- France will invest $4.5 billion in India's defense sector in a form of offset obligations under a contract for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets, The Economic Times reported Tuesday, citing sources familiar with the deal.
- Breakthrough needed to ensure nuclear-test-ban treaty enters into force - UN chief UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Lamenting the fact that nearly two decades after its negotiation the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) has still not entered into force, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged world leaders gathered at the United Nations to demonstrate the necessary political will to usher in a nuclear-weapon-free world.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Washington, D.C., 9/29/2015 The White House 29 Sep 2015
- 29 September 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Sep 2015
- Vietnamese President Challenges China's Xi Over Spratly Islands VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Vietnam's President Truong Tan Sang has publicly rejected sovereignty claims by Chinese President Xi Jinping over disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- At UN, President of Yemen decries civilian toll of country's conflict, appeals for more humanitarian aid UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Appealing for more relief aid for Yemen's beleaguered civilian population, President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, told the United Nations General Assembly today that he had recently returned from the war-ravaged coastal city of Aden, which nevertheless was experiencing "great joy as it has been liberated from the Houthis militia."
- UN: Civilian Death Toll Spirals in Yemen VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Civilian casualties in Yemen continue to spiral, largely due to relentless Saudi-led airstrikes against Houthi rebels, the U.N. Human Rights office reported Tuesday.
- Remarks by President Obama at the Leaders' Summit on Countering ISIL and Violent Extremism The White House 29 Sep 2015
- Obama Calls For Coordinated Global Fight Against Islamic State RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has called for renewed effort to stem the radicalizing networks that are attracting recruits to the radical Islamic State (IS) militant group, whose ranks have been bolstered by tens of thousands of foreigners in Syria and Iraq.
- Growing threat of violent extremism demands unified response, UN chief tells summit UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Addressing the growing threat posed by violent extremist groups such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also known as Da'esh, goes to the heart of the mission of the United Nations and requires a unified response, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed today at a high-level event held in New York.
- Global Efforts Failing to Stem Flow of Foreign Fighters VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Slow progress in the U.S.-led effort to ultimately destroy the Islamic State terror group is being mirrored by equally sluggish progress in the attempt to stem the flow of foreign fighters to the combat zones in Syria and Iraq.
- US Sanctions IS Backers, Targets Finances VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- The United States on Tuesday announced financial sanctions against major Islamic State leaders and financial figures and designated additional individuals and groups as foreign terrorist fighters.
- Obama: Defeating IS 'Will Take Time' VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- A year after issuing a call to world leaders to come up with concrete steps to defeat the Islamic State militant group, U.S. President Barack Obama was back Tuesday at the United Nations, with a progress report and a message that the fight will be neither easy nor short.
- Iran, Russia must be part of Syria solution: France ISNA 29 Sep 2015 -- French President Francois Hollande said Iran and Russia must be part of a resolution of the crisis in Syria while maintaining his stance on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- U.S. says ready to work with Russia, Iran to resolve crisis in Syria People's Daily 29 Sep 2015 -- The United Statesis prepared to work with any nation, including Russiaand Iran, to resolve the conflict in Syria, U.S. President Barack Obamasaid Monday.
- Syrian soldiers kill 30 Nusra Front terrorists in, around Aleppo Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- At least 30 al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front militants have been killed in a series of mop-up operations by the Syrian army across the country's embattled northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Obama, Putin fail to agree on Assad's fate Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- President Barack Obama and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have discussed the crisis in Syria, but failed to reach an agreement on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's fate.
- Putin Rules Out Russian Ground War Against IS; Air Strikes Possible RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he has ruled out sending Russian ground troops into Syria to fight Islamic State (IS), but he is open to joining an air campaign against the militant group.
- Most Russians Oppose Sending Troops To Syria: Poll RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- More than two-thirds of Russians oppose sending troops to Syria to prop up President Bashar al-Assad's government, while a majority approve of Moscow's use of diplomatic and political channels to help its embattled ally in the Middle East, according to a respected independent pollster.
- Russian Aid to Syria Aims to Counter Terrorism - Assad Adviser Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad's political adviser Bouthaina Shaaban said that airstrikes conducted by a US-led coalition against ISIL positions in Syria only increase bloodshed and expand terror threats from Syria to the region and the world.
- Rohani: Iran Ready To Tackle Terrorism, Bring Democracy To Syria RFE/RL 28 Sep 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani says Tehran is prepared to 'eradicate terrorism' in the Middle East and help bring democracy to war-torn Syria and Yemen.
- Turkey kills over 30 PKK militants in cross-border raid: Erdogan Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says over 30 militants from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed in a cross-border offensive by the country's army.
- 22 militants killed in Turkey-PKK clashes in Sirnak: Turkish officials Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- At least 22 militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed in clashes with Turkish security forces in eastern Turkey over the past few days, Turkish officials say.
- 36 killed in CAR violence, 1000s displaced: UN Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- The United Nations (UN) says a recent wave of violence in the Central African Republic (CAR) has claimed the lives of nearly 40 people, and forced tens of thousands to flee their homes.
- UN stresses need for access to thousands affected by Central African Republic violence UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- United Nations officials continued to voice their concern today over the situation in the Central African Republic (CAR) – where more than 30 people have been killed, over 100 have been wounded and thousands are seeking shelter amid the recent upsurge in violence – and stressed the need for free movement for aid workers to reach those in need.
- Concerns Grow Over Latest CAR Violence VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- U.N. agencies are warning of a resurgence in widespread ethnic and religious fighting in Central African Republic, following the recent outbreak of fighting which has left dozens dead and scores injured in the capital, Bangui.
- Poroshenko: Russia Uses UN Veto As 'License To Kill' RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko delivered a scathing denunciation of Russian expansionism before the United Nations, accusing Moscow of exploiting its veto power on the UN Security Council as a 'license to kill' by stymying international action to punish Moscow for its 'aggression.'
- At General Assembly, Ukrainian President says country suffering 'brutal violation' of UN Charter UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Ukraine is suffering from a brutal violation of the fundamental norms and principles of the United Nations Charter, President Petro Poroshenko told world leaders today at the annual General Assembly debate.
- With South Sudan at crossroads, Ban urges parties to reaffirm commitment to peace UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Citing a new window of opportunity for peace in South Sudan, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all parties to demonstrate a genuine commitment to the peace agreement signed last month, including by immediately halting military operations and forming the Transitional Government of National Unity.
- Is the Philippine army turning a blind eye to murder? IRIN 29 Sep 2015 -- Has the Philippine army been in cahoots with armed groups accused of murdering civilians in the southern region of Mindanao? That's the focus of an investigation the government has finally agreed to undertake.
- President of Guyana urges UN to protect small States from foreign aggression UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Reaffirming his country's commitment to international law and the primacy of the decisions of the United Nations, the President of Guyana today called on the world body to stand by its commitment to protect small States from foreign aggression, in this case, attempts by Venezuela to "unravel borders which have been undisturbed for decades."
- Iranian Hard-Liners Criticize Zarif's Handshake With Obama RFE/RL 29 Sep 2015 -- Hard-liners in Iran are criticizing a handshake and encounter between U.S. President Barack Obama and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif that, according to a senior White House official, lasted less than one minute.
- Iran, P5+1 FMs discuss steps to implement JCPOA ISNA 29 Sep 2015 -- The foreign ministers of Iran and the P5+1 group of countries have met in New York for the first time since the conclusion of a nuclear agreement between the two sides in July to discuss ways of implementing the accord.
- Iran, P5+1 FMs discuss steps to implement JCPOA Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- The foreign ministers of Iran and the P5+1 group of countries have met in New York for the first time since the conclusion of a nuclear agreement between the two sides in July to discuss ways of implementing the accord.
- President Rouhani: No power can affect Tehran-Beijing relations/Xi: Iran is China's strategic partner Iran Presidency 29 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani sat down with the Chinese President Xi Jinping late on Monday in New York and talked about Tehran-Beijing ties, as well as China's significant role in reaching the nuclear agreement.
- President Rouhani: JCPOA gained with common determination/Cameron: We are committed to JCPOA Iran Presidency 29 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani sat down with the British Prime Minister David Cameron late on Monday in New York and talked about the need to fully implement the JCPOA, including the lift of sanctions.
- Rouhani: Iran-Russia cooperation strategic for security and stability in the region/Putin: Russia stresses full sanction lift Iran Presidency 29 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani met with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin late on Monday in New York on the side-lines of the annual session of the General Assembly and said that mutual attempts and close coordination between Tehran and Moscow had pivotal role in reaching the JCPOA.
- China to set up $1b peace fund People's Daily 29 Sep 2015 -- China will establish a $1 billion 'China-UN Peace and Development Fund' to support the United Nations' multilateral cooperation and boost world peace, President Xi Jinping said on Monday.
- Urging global assistance for Syrian refugees, European Union at UN says 'everyone can offer help' UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- With Europe confronting its worst refugee crisis since World War II, the continent's leaders mounted the podium of the United Nations General Assembly today to call for global action to end the conflict in war-torn Syria and elsewhere that has sent hundreds of thousands of people fleeing to their shores.
- Obscure Turkish Law Draws Focus Ahead of November Vote VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- A little-used Turkish law against insulting the president is gaining new life. Well-known journalists and, increasingly, ordinary citizens, are being prosecuted and even jailed under the law.
- Romania Denies Complicity With CIA-Led Secret Detention Program Sputnik 29 Sep 2015 -- The Romanian government has agreed to co-operate with a European Parliament investigation into the CIA-led extraordinary rendition and secret detention program and its serious human rights violations, despite denying complicity.
- Burkina army surrounds coup plotters barracks Press TV 29 Sep 2015 -- A major airport is shut in the Burkina Faso capital Ouagadougou as soldiers lock down an area around the barracks of an elite unit involved in a short-lived coup after they refused to disarm.
- Presidents of Sierra Leone and Liberia outline post-Ebola recovery plan in addresses to UN Assembly UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- In their respective statements to the United Nations General Assembly, the leaders of Sierra Leone and Liberia, among the countries hardest hit by the Ebola outbreak, discussed their subsequent recovery efforts, and also spoke about the need for the reform of UN bodies.
- Thai Leader Urges Patience for Democracy's Return VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Thailand's prime minister insists he supports democracy and urges patience as a new constitution is being developed for the Southeast Asian country, weeks after an earlier draft's rejection.
- Fighting terrorism and drug trafficking are key priority's for Tajikistan, President tells UN Assembly UN News 29 Sep 2015 -- Taking the podium at the United Nations General Assembly today, Emomali Rahmon, the President of Tajikistan stressed that combating terrorism and extremism, and curbing drug trafficking are some of the top priorities for his country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|