09 August 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US deploying warplanes in Turkey to fight ISIL in Syria Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- The US Air Force has deployed a fleet of six F-16 fighter jets in a military base in Turkey in order to fight the ISIL terrorist group in Syria, according to the US mission to NATO.
- Aviano F-16s deploy to Turkey AFNS 09 Aug 2015 -- The U.S. Air Force deployed a small detachment -- six F-16 Fighting Falcons, support equipment and about 300 personnel -- to Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, in support of Operation Inherent Resolve.
- US Deploys Six F-16 Jets to Turkey as Part of Anti-ISIL Campaign Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- The US Air Force is deploying six of its F-16 fighter jets to the southern Turkish base of Incirlik for its ongoing campaign against the Islamic State jihadist group, the US Mission to NATO announced Sunday.
- US Sends F-16s to Turkish Air Base for Anti-IS Efforts VOA 09 Aug 2015 -- The US military said it has deployed F-16 fighter jets to a Turkish air field, as coalition air strikes continue against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.
- Coalition Continues Anti-ISIL Airstrikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 12 killed in US drone strike in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- At least a dozen people have lost their lives in a strike carried out by a US unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
- 22 Killed In Taliban Attack In Kunduz RFE/RL 09 Aug 2015 -- Afghan police say at least 22 people were killed in the northern province of Kunduz on August 8 when a Taliban suicide bomber drove a vehicle loaded with explosives into a group of pro-government militia and detonated it.
- Security Council deplores latest terrorist attacks in Afghan capital UN News 09 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council on Sunday strongly condemned the series of terrorist attacks that have taken place in the Afghan capital, Kabul, since last Thursday and resulted in hundreds of casualties and at least 70 deaths, including children.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility for Suicide Bombing VOA 09 Aug 2015 -- The Taliban has claimed responsibility for another deadly suicide car bombing in Afghanistan, a day after a series of terrorist blasts killed more than 50 in and near Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran's 4th naval zone hosts Russian naval fleet IRNA 09 Aug 2015 -- A Russian naval fleet comprised of two warships entered Iranian territorial waters on Sunday and docked at the fourth naval zone of the Iranian Navy, according to Public Relations Department of the Navy.
- Russian Stealth Supersonic Aircraft PAK FA Revolutionizes Aviation Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- The PAK FA is a single-seat, twin-engine jet fighter, and the first operational aircraft in Russian service to use stealth technology.
- Unique Capabilities of PAK FA Pilot's Gear Unveiled Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- A special suit for pilots who will fly the newest Sukhoi PAK FA (also known as T-50) jet fighter has been developed by Russian engineers and scientists.
- Bundeswehr Suffers Military Equipment Deficit, Borrows Tanks Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- Military equipment deficiencies in the German Bundeswehr seem to be worse than previously reported, the German newspaper Das Bild wrote.
- Yemen: UN official calls for scaling up efforts to meet 'staggering' humanitarian needs UN News 09 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen is appealing for significant contributions to scale up efforts to meet the "staggering" needs across the country, where some 21 million people, or 80 per cent of the population, require live-saving assistance.
- Saudi friendly fire kills 20 allies of Riyadh in Yemen: Report Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- At least 20 militants loyal to the regime in Riyadh have reportedly been killed in a Saudi airstrike on Yemen.
- Saudi Arabia keeps bombing Yemen, kills 5 in Amran Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Saudi Arabia continues its deadly aggression against Yemen, killing at least five civilians in its latest airstrikes in the province of Amran.
- Houthi Rebels Declare State of Emergency in Yemeni Capital Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- The Shiite Houthi movement that had captured parts of Yemen over the past months declared a state of emergency in the capital city Sanaa, media reports suggested Sunday.
- Airstrikes kill about 400 PKK members: Turkey media Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Some 400 fighters belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have reportedly been killed in Turkey's airstrikes in northern Iraq over the past two weeks.
- Saddam-era officers dominate high ranks of ISIL: Report Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Officers serving under the rule of Iraq's former dictator Saddam Hussein are reportedly in charge of top positions in the ranks of the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group.
- ISIL leaders in Iraq's Anbar escape to Nineveh, Syria Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Security officials in Iraq say dozens of ISIL senior leaders have escaped from the Anbar province to Nineveh province and Syria due to the "significant progress" of Iraq's army in the region.
- ISIL steals medical equipment worth over $16 million in Diyala Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Members of the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group have reportedly stolen medical equipment worth millions of dollars in Iraq's eastern province of Diyala, as they continue to plunder public assets in areas under their control.
- Syria ready to join international anti-ISIL bid: Russia Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Damascus would agree to be a part of the international coalition against ISIL Takfiri terrorists in case it receives such a request.
- Syria army kills 30 Daesh militants in Homs Province Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Syrian military airstrikes have killed at least over two dozen Takfiri Daesh militants in the central Homs Province.
- Russia dismisses 'unfounded accusations' about chemical weapons in Syria Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has warned against making 'unfounded accusations' regarding undeclared chemical weapons in Syria.
- Death toll from militant mortar attacks on Damascus jumps to 11 Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Security officials in Syria say the death toll from recent mortar attacks by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants on residential areas in the country's capital city of Damascus has climbed to 11.
- Syrian Forces Kill Scores of ISIL, Nusra Front Insurgents Nationwide Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- The Syrian army made advances against militants in provinces outside the capital city Damascus and near the Turkish border, Syrian state television reported Sunday.
- OSCE Monitoring Mission Vehicles Destroyed In Donetsk RFE/RL 09 Aug 2015 -- Four armored vehicles belonging to the Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) were destroyed during the night in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk.
- OSCE Vehicles Torched in Eastern Ukraine VOA 09 Aug 2015 -- Four vehicles belonging to the OSCE monitoring mission to Ukraine were set on fire outside their hotel overnight in the rebel-controlled Donetsk, the observers said.
- Central African Republic: UN investigating incident leading to death of five blue helmets UN News 09 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations mission in the Central African Republic (CAR) has launched an investigation into an incident on Saturday in which a Rwandan peacekeeper shot dead four of his colleagues and wounded eight others before he also died.
- JCPOA balanced, victory for both sides: Iran FM Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran's nuclear agreement with six world powers is a 'balanced' deal satisfying both parties to the accord.
- Iran top cmdr. supports JCPOA, UNSC resolution Press TV 09 Aug 2015 -- A top Iranian military official has enumerated over a dozen positive points of the nuclear conclusion reached between Iran and the P5+1, and the related UN Security Council (UNSC) Resolution 2231, despite voicing concerns about possible "misinterpretations."
- Obama Brushes Off Attacks on Iran Deal VOA 09 Aug 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is brushing off taunts from Iran and political complaints in the United States about the deal to restrain Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iraqi PM Proposes Major Reforms In Response To Protests RFE/RL 09 Aug 2015 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has proposed major governmental reform in response to a wave of massive protests in recent weeks.
- Iraqi PM Proposes Cutting VP, Deputy PM Positions VOA 09 Aug 2015 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi announced what he called "sweeping" political reforms after a Cabinet meeting Sunday, in what is being billed as an attempt to stamp out corruption.
- Commemorating Nagasaki bombing, Ban lauds efforts to achieve nuclear-weapon-free world UN News 09 Aug 2015 -- In a message commemorating the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today paid tribute to all those in the Japanese city and around the globe who are striving to rid the world of nuclear weapons.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|