01 August 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 01 Aug 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- New Afghan Taliban leader urges unity, continued militancy Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- The new leader of Afghan Taliban has made his first public announcement, calling for unity among the members of the terrorist group, while vowing to continue its campaign across Afghanistan.
- Taliban Denies Reports That Haqqani Network Founder Is Dead RFE/RL 01 Aug 2015 -- An official Taliban statement on August 1 denied reports by Pakistani media that the founder of the Haqqani network - a militant group affiliated with the Taliban and Al-Qaeda that is blamed for some of Afghanistan's deadliest suicide attacks - died about a year ago.
- New Taliban Leader Says Insurgency Will Continue VOA 01 Aug 2015 -- The Taliban has released an audio message from new leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor, intended to reassure Taliban leaders, elders, clerics and scholars that the Taliban jihad will continue until the Islamic system is brought to Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Sea Knight's final flight USMC News 01 Aug 2015 -- The Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight conducted its first flight August 1962 and on August 1, 2015 the Sea Knight made its final flight to the Smithsonian Institution National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, in Chantilly, Virginia.
- Fire Aboard USS Mount Whitney; No Injuries NNS 01 Aug 2015 -- A fire broke out on board USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20) while the ship was in Viktor Lenac Shipyard (Rijeka, Croatia) July 31, 2015.
- U.S. and Indonesia strengthen maritime partnerships during CARAT 2015 NNS 01 Aug 2015 -- A U.S. Navy task group comprised of ships, aircraft, Sailors and Marines arrived in Indonesia to commence the 21st annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Indonesia 2015, Aug 3.
- 'On a Mission to Defend Freedom' - USS John Warner is Commissioned NNS 01 Aug 2015 -- The Virginia-class attack submarine USS John Warner (SSN 785) was commissioned during a ceremony attended by more than 2,500 in its future homeport of Naval Station Norfolk, Aug. 1, 2015.
- Minister pledges to keep PLA clean People's Daily 01 Aug 2015 -- Defense Minister Chang Wanquan pledged intensified efforts in running the armed forces with 'strict discipline and in accordance with the law' on Friday in Beijing amid China's sweeping anti-graft campaign.
- Commander lauds Navy's achievement in building missile-launchers, submarines ISNA 01 Aug 2015 -- Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari reiterated that the country has made good progress in building naval equipment including missile-launchers, destroyers and submarines.
- Egypt extends role in Saudi aggression against Yemen Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Egypt has decided to extend its participation in the Saudi aggression against Yemen for another six months.
- Yemeni army forces storm military base in SW Saudi Arabia Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Yemeni army troopers have launched a retaliatory attack on a military base in southwestern Saudi Arabia as Riyadh presses ahead with a military campaign against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- Exiled Yemen Vice President Returns to War-Torn Aden VOA 01 Aug 2015 -- Yemen's exiled prime minister Khaled Bahah made a brief but important visit to the newly-liberated southern city of Aden Saturday.
- Turkey aerial warfare kills some 260 PKK members: Agency Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Turkey's state news agency has alleged that the country's week-long aerial warfare against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) has killed around 260 members of the outlawed group.
- Violence in Iraq kills over 1,300 in July: UN Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations (UN) says over 1,300 people were killed in acts of violence in Iraq in July, as the country attempts to tackle a crisis caused by Takfiri ISIL terrorists.
- Iraq forces inflict heavy losses on ISIL Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Iraqi Army and popular forces battling the ISIL terrorist group have inflicted heavy losses on its members and purged some areas in the country of its presence.
- Iraq's Kurdistan urges end to Turkey's anti-PKK airstrikes Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region has called on Turkey to halt its airstrikes against the bases of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) on its territory, urging a negotiated settlement to the decades-long Ankara-PKK conflict.
- Barzani Calls On PKK Rebels To Leave Iraq's Kurdish Region RFE/RL 01 Aug 2015 -- Masud Barzani, the president of Iraq's Kurdish region, has called on militants in the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) to leave northern Iraq in order to prevent Turkish air strikes from causing civilian casualties.
- Syria army kills 19 terrorists in Hama Province Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Syrian forces have killed several militants during an operation in Hama Province in the west-central part of the Arab country, a report says.
- Syrian troops kill over 125 terrorists in Daraa, Aleppo Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Syrian armed forces have killed more than 125 foreign-backed terrorists in clashes with Takfiri militants in the southwestern city of Daraa and the northern city of Aleppo.
- Two Ukrainian soldiers killed in east Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Fighting between Ukrainian soldiers and pro-Russia forces has left two soldiers dead in the war-ravaged eastern part of Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Rivne Region Might Start Uprising Against Kiev Sputnik 01 Aug 2015 -- Ukraine's Rivne Region is on the brink of war with the government in Kiev, said Yevhen Deidei, a Ukrainian soldier who fought in Donbass and is also a member of parliament in the Verkhovna Rada, according to TV Channel Zvezda.
- Malaysia Hopeful for South China Sea Code of Conduct Ahead of ASEAN Meeting Sputnik 01 Aug 2015 -- Claimants to the disputed South China Sea are on track to finalize the territory's code of conduct (CoC), Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said as quoted by local media Saturday.
- India, Bangladesh End Limbo For Thousands VOA 01 Aug 2015 -- Indians and Bangladeshis are celebrating the end of a 68-year state of limbo for tens of thousands of people living along the porous border joining the two nations.
- Nuclear deal does not require Majlis approval IRNA 01 Aug 2015 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said on Friday that since the nuclear deal between Tehran and P5+1 group of world powers in not an international agreement, it does not need to secure approval of Majlis (Parliament).
- Iran's Zarif calls for global nuclear disarmament ISNA 01 Aug 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has called on nuclear weapons states across the world to give up their nuclear stockpiles.
- Iran warns IAEA against leakage of confidential data to US Senate Press TV 01 Aug 2015 -- Iran has warned the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) of the repercussions of disclosing to the US Senate the confidential data on the recently signed roadmap between Tehran and the UN nuclear agency.
- Majlis ratifies Terrorist Financing Convention bill IRNA 01 Aug 2015 -- Iran's Majlis (parliament) ratified the International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism bill on Saturday morning.
- IMF Approves $1.7 Billion Loan To Ukraine After 'Strong Start' On Reforms RFE/RL 01 Aug 2015 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved a second installment of loans for Ukraine despite uncertainties raised by the country's heavy debts and conflict with Russian-backed separatist forces.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|