22 July 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 22 Jul 2015 [PDF]
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Jul 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US military drone crashes in Iraq: Pentagon Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- A US military drone flying a combat mission has crashed in Iraq after losing communication, the US Defense Department has confirmed.
- U.S. Air Strike Kills Top Al-Qaeda Operative In Syria RFE/RL 22 Jul 2015 -- A longtime Al-Qaeda operative who plotted terrorists attacks against the West from a base in Syria was killed in a U.S. air strike two weeks ago, the Pentagon said July 21.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New AFMC mission, vision statements emphasize agility AFNS 22 Jul 2015 -- New mission and vision statements are the foundation of a new command strategy designed to push Air Force Materiel Command to be more agile as it delivers war-winning support to the warfighter.
- USS Chancellorsville Begins Patrol Providing Maritime Security to Indo-Asia-Pacific Region NNS 22 Jul 2015 -- The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG 62) departed Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka, for an Indo-Asia-Pacific region patrol, July 22.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Advisor to His Majesty the King for Military Affairs and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Jordan Armed Forces Gen. Mash'al al-Zaben and His Royal Highness Lt. Gen. Prince Faisal bin Hussein DoD 22 Jul 2015
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with King Salman, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, and Deputy Crown Prince and Minister of Defense Mohammed bin Salman of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia DoD 22 Jul 2015
- Media Availability With Secretary Carter in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia DoD 22 Jul 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Higgins to Provide Maritime Security in the Indo-Asia- Region NNS 22 Jul 2015 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins (DDG 76) entered the U.S. 7th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), July 22 after departing their homeport of San Diego, California, July 6.
- Russia Presents Threat to U.S., Army General Says AFPS 22 Jul 2015 -- Russia is the only country on Earth that presents a nuclear existential threat to the United States, the commander of U.S. Army Forces Command told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee here yesterday.
- Experts Call for Expansion of US-Philippines Defense Treaty VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- More prominent security experts are joining the call for the U.S. to extend its security treaty with the Philippines to the defense of shoals and islands currently controlled by the Philippines in the disputed area of the South China Sea.
- NATO-Georgia Commission discusses state of partnership, welcomes Georgia's reform progress NATO 22 Jul 2015 -- Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow welcomed His Excellency David Usupashvili, Chairman of the Georgian Parliament, to NATO headquarters on Wednesday (22 July 2015) for talks on the important relationship between the Alliance and Georgia.
- Russia's Western Military District gets newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launchers TASS 22 Jul 2015 -- More than 20 units of the newest Tornado-G multiple rocket launch system (MRLS) have entered service with the Taman motorized infantry division and the Kantemirovskaya tank division of the Western Military District, stationed in the Moscow region, district spokesman Colonel Oleg Kochetkov told reporters on Wednesday.
- Navy starts exercise in S. China Sea People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- The Chinese navy announced 10 days of military training in the waters near eastern Hainan Island in the South China Sea starting on Wednesday, amid heightened tensions in the region.
- DPRK erects taller launch pad for long-range rocket: Yonhap People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) erected a taller launch pad for long-range rocket at a rocket base near the west coast, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported Wednesday citing a government official.
- North Korea Reportedly Builds Long-Range Missile Pad Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- North Korea has erected a launch pad capable of firing long-range missiles larger than those of the past, South Korean media reported on Wednesday.
- S-300 not subject to Security Council resolution IRNA 22 Jul 2015 -- Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi said here on Wednesday that the S-300 air defense system is not subject to Security Council resolution.
- Iran's missile capability not included in UNSC Resolution 2231: Araqchi IRNA 22 Jul 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Wednesday that Iran's missile capability is not included in Resolution 2231 adopted by the United Nations Security Council on July 20.
- Iranian missiles not designed for carrying N. warhead, says senior official ISNA 22 Jul 2015 -- A senior Iranian official said that the country does not have any plan to carry nuclear warheads.
- S-300 Defense System Excluded From UNSC Resolution on Iran Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- The S-300 air defense system is not subject to the United Nations Security Council resolution, said Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi on Wednesday.
- No mention of Russian S-300 missile supplies to Iran in UN SC resolution - official TASS 22 Jul 2015 -- The UN Security Council resolution on Iran's nuclear program deal does not cover Russia's supplies of S-300 surface-to-air missiles to Iran, Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi told a press conference on Wednesday.
- Backgrounder: Japan's defense white paper strays farther away from peaceful development People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- The Japanese cabinet on Tuesday released a defense white paper for 2015, which gave a significant portion to hyping up 'China's military threat.'
- As Japan Pushes Forward Expanded Defense Bill, Protests Follow VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- The Japanese government is moving forward with a controversial security bill that would authorize the military to fight abroad for the first time since World War II.
- Top U.S. General Backs Giving Lethal Weapons To Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Jul 2015 -- The United States should "seriously consider" providing Ukraine with lethal weapons and putting U.S. air strike controllers near combat areas in Iraq, a top general said July 21.
- Lebanon - TOW 2A Missiles DSCA 22 Jul 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Lebanon for TOW 2A Missiles and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $245 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 21, 2015.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 7/22/2015 The White House 22 Jul 2015
- July 22, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for July 22, 2015
- India, China, Iraq Largest Importers of Russian Military Equipment - Report Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- Asian countries have become the main importers of Russian military equipment amid sanction imposed by the US.
- Xinjiang invests 10 billion yuan to build helicopter manufacturing base People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps cooperates with China Helicopter Industry Development Association (CHIDA) and the United States and China Foundation (USCF), signing the agreement framework of building a large helicopter manufacturing base in Xinjiang.
- 22 July 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Jul 2015
- China has drilling rigs near disputed islands: Japan Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- Tokyo says China has stationed 16 drilling rigs near its de facto maritime border with Japan in the South China Sea amid the escalation of a territorial dispute between the two East Asian countries.
- Yemen War Continues to Take Heavy Toll on Civilians VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- United Nations aid agencies report intense fighting in Yemen continues to take a heavy toll on civilians.
- Yemeni forces target Saudi bases in retaliatory strikes Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- The Yemeni army, backed by the popular committees loyal to the Ansarullah movement, have targeted several military bases in Saudi Arabia in retaliation for Riyadh's ongoing aggression against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- Crisis-torn Iraq still needs 'continuous and massive' international support, Security Council told UN News 22 Jul 2015 -- With Iraq facing "one of the most difficult phases in its modern history," the Government, its leadership and, most of all, Iraqis themselves, will need "continuous and massive" support and assistance from the international community, the top United Nations official in the country told the Security Council today.
- 34 killed in air strikes, clashes against IS militants in Iraq People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- A total of 34 people were killed and 51 wounded on Tuesday in clashes with Islamic State (IS) militants, U.S.-led coalition air strikes and a suicide car bomb attacks in central and western Iraq, security sources said.
- 88 Takfiri ISIL terrorists killed in Iraqi army operations Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- More than 80 Takfiri ISIL terrorists have been killed in operations conducted by Iraqi army soldiers backed by allied fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units across the country.
- ISIL commanders flee from Iraq's Fallujah to Turkey: Local source Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- The commanders of the Takfiri ISIL terrorist group in the Iraqi city of Fallujah have reportedly fled to Turkey as Iraqi forces close in on the militants in the western restive province of Anbar.
- Syria: UN special envoy deeply concerned over 'unprecedented' assault on Zabadani UN News 22 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, has expressed deep concern at the plight of civilians in Zabadani, in the wake of credible reports that overnight, a large number of barrel bombs were dropped on the north-western city.
- US Lawmaker Calls for Multinational Ground Force in Syria VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- The chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives' Homeland Security Committee has urged President Barack Obama to form a multinational coalition to build a ground force that can destroy the Islamic State "terrorist sanctuary" in Syria.
- Syria, Hezbollah tighten noose on Takfiris in Zabadani Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- Syrian troops and Hezbollah resistance fighters have tightened their siege on terrorists holed up in the southwestern town of Zabadani, purging the Takfiri elements from their last positions in the area.
- Syria army fighting to liberate Jisr al-Shughour Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- Syrian government forces are engaged in heavy exchanges of gunfire with foreign-sponsored militants in Jisr al-Shughour as they are set to liberate the strategic northwestern city from Takfiri terrorists, Press TV reports.
- Four facts you might not know about housing demolitions by Israel IRIN 22 Jul 2015 -- The small Palestinian village of Khirbet Susiya in the Israeli-occupied West Bank has been drawn into the international spotlight this week, as the US, the UK and the EU condemned plans by the Israeli army to demolish it. The US State Department said its destruction would be "harmful and provocative."
- Donetsk Completes Removal of Weapons From Line of Contact Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- The military units of the Donetsk People's Republic completely withdrew their armored vehicles with weapons with caliber less than 100mm from the contact line, the republic's defense ministry said.
- South Sudan troops 'deliberately' attacked civilians, HRW says Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused South Sudanese government soldiers of carrying out "deliberate attacks on civilians" during the country's 19-month conflict.
- Top UN relief official in Central African Republic urgently appeals for halt in attacks on aid workers UN News 22 Jul 2015 -- The top United Nations humanitarian official in the Central African Republic (CAR) condemned today the surge in violence against aid workers in the country and appealed to all belligerents to allow them to do their jobs safely, particularly in the wake of a recent attack against a UN food convoy on a major supply route killed its driver.
- Carter: Saudi Leaders Support Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that Saudi Arabian leaders have assured him they support the historic accord to restrain Iran's nuclear program.
- Turkey Allegedly Had Role in Helping Iran Dodge Sanctions VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- More details are emerging about the role Turkey has allegedly been playing in assisting Iran to dodge international sanctions involving the trading of gold by an Iranian businessman that Turkey's president once dubbed a philanthropist.
- Iran's Arak Heavy Water Reactor to be modernized ISNA 22 Jul 2015 -- Spokesperson of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said Arak Heavy Water Reactor would be modernized.
- Iran does not expect change in US behavior following talks: Araqchi ISNA 22 Jul 2015 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Iran does not expect a change in the behavior of the United States following the successful conclusion of the talks between the Islamic Republic and the G5+1 group of countries, except in the area of Iran's nuclear program.
- UNSC has acknowledged Iran's right to enrichment: Rouhani Press TV 22 Jul 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has unequivocally recognized the Islamic Republic's right to enrich uranium.
- China to Build Two Nuclear Power Plants in Southern Iran Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- China will build two nuclear power plants for Iran on the Makran coast neighboring the Gulf of Oman, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, Ali Akbar Salehi, announced on Wednesday.
- Ukraine Again Relies on Foreigners for Leadership Help VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- As Ukraine is struggling to reform and survive during war, it is relying on a cohort of accomplished foreigners for leadership.
- Obama's Visit to Kenya Spotlights Regional Security VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama visits Kenya this week, his first trip to his father's homeland as a sitting president.
- In latest update, UN health agency reports no new Ebola cases in Liberia UN News 22 Jul 2015 -- No new cases of Ebola were reported in Liberia nor in recent hotspots in West Africa with half the 26 cases in this week's update from the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) coming from the capitals of Guinea and Sierra Leone, bringing the number of people who have died of the disease to 11,269.
- New Maldives Law Lets Foreigners Own Land VOA 22 Jul 2015 -- In a move that could help China establish a foothold in the Indian Ocean region, the Maldives has passed a law allowing foreigners to own land.
- Need asylum in South Africa? Pay a bribe IRIN 22 Jul 2015 -- In South Africa, asylum seekers and refugees in need of documentation often have no choice but to pay for it. So says a new report exposing how corruption and bribery have permeated nearly every level of the country's asylum system: from border crossings, to queues outside refugee reception offices, to what takes place inside those offices.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|