14 July 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 14 Jul 2015 [PDF]
- Stop Attacking Afghan Civilians, UN Envoy Begs VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations has called for an immediate end to attacks targeting civilians in Afghanistan, where at least 45 have been killed and dozens more wounded in the past two days.
- Afghanistan: UN condemns 'cynical, cowardly' attack targeting civilians at a mosque UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- Offering deep condolences to the victims' families and a speedy recovery for those injured in the latest attack in Afghanistan targeting civilians, the top United Nations official in the country, Nicholas Haysom, condemned the attack, which targeted people gathered for Iftar at the Grand Mosque in Pul-e-Khomri, in the northern Baghlan province.
- Government, UN and donors examine Organization's work in Afghanistan UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), senior Afghan Government officials and representatives from the international donor community have gathered today in Kabul for the first of three meetings aimed at examining the role of UN entities in the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, South Korea pilots soar at Buddy Wing 15-6 AFNS 14 Jul 2015 -- F-16 Fighting Falcon pilots from the 80th Fighter Squadron at Kunsan Air Base, South Korea, practiced combined flying operations alongside counterparts from the South Korean air force's 19th Fighter Wing at Jungwon AB during Buddy Wing 15-6, July 7-10.
- Harrigian cites sustainment center's F-35 support AFNS 14 Jul 2015 -- The head of the Air Force's F-35 Lightning II integration team cited the Air Force Sustainment Center's overall joint strike fighter support during a visit to the center's headquarters here July 10.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the Iran Deal DoD 14 Jul 2015
- The U.S. and Australia Team Up as a Combined Task Force During Talisman Sabre NNS 14 Jul 2015 -- For two years service members from both the U.S. and Australian Navies have prepared for a complex amphibious assault scenario taking place on the shores of the Northern Territory of Australia during Talisman Sabre 2015.
- Farragut Departs Abu Dhabi NNS 14 Jul 2015 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut completed a scheduled port visit in Khalifa Port, Abu Dhabi, July 9.
- Russia's Next-Gen Strategic Bomber to Make Maiden Flight in 2023-2024 Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- PAK DA, Russia's fifth generation long-range bomber powered by a new engine (both in development), is expected to make its maiden flight in less than a decade, United Engine Corporation's (UEC) CEO Vladislav Masalov said.
- Russia Developing Powerful Engine for Russian-Chinese Heavy Helicopter Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- An advanced heavy transport helicopter, jointly developed by Russia and China, is expected to be equipped with a Russian-built engine most likely designed on the basis of the PD-14, United Engine Corporation's (UEC) CEO Vladislav Masalov said.
- Russia to Develop All-New Electronic Warfare System for Mistral Replacement Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- Russian Conglomerate Radio-Electronic Technologies, or KRET, has offered to develop state-of-the-art defensive electronic warfare systems for an amphibious assault ship Russia could build as a substitute for the two Mistral helicopter carriers France failed to deliver under a $1.3 billion deal.
- Russian Tu-95 Bear Strategic Bomber Crashes in Khabarovsk Region Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- A Russian Tu-95 Bear strategic bomber has crashed in the Siberian region approximately 50 miles from the city of Khabarovsk, the Russian Defense Minister said Tuesday.
- Two pilots of crashed Russian bomber died - Russian Defense Ministry TASS 14 Jul 2015 -- Two pilots of Russia's Tu-95MS strategic bomber that crashed in the far eastern Khabarovsk Territory, died, a Russian Defense Ministry source told TASS on Tuesday.
- Strategic bomber crashes in Russia's Far East during training flight - Defense Ministry TASS 14 Jul 2015 -- A Tupolev Tu-95MS strategic bomber crashed in the Khabarovsk Territory in the Russian Far East during a training flight, the Defense Ministry said on Tuesday.
- US Considering Plans to Expand Ukrainian Troop Training Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- The program will focus on basic tactical activities, with focus on life-saving techniques and operations in highly contested areas, US Lieutenant General Ben Hodges said.
- U.S. Eyes Stepped-Up Plan To Train Ukrainian Army Soldiers RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- The United States is considering plans to train soldiers in the Ukrainian army in the next few months, in a move that risks heightening tensions with Russia.
- US, Singapore Naval Forces Launch Joint Maritime Exercise Near S China Sea Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- On July 13, the US and Singapore naval forces began a joint maritime exercise at Changi Naval Base located in Singapore Strait, which is situated close to the South China Sea. The area holding potentially significant oil and gas reserves, is the subject of a territorial dispute between several regional countries.
- Latvia, Lithuania Mull Joint Air Defense Acquisition Program Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- The Latvian and Lithuanian leaders considered the purchase of medium-range air defense systems.
- Nuclear deal has no impact on Iran's defensive capability, commander IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- Armed forces spokesman said on Tuesday that the nuclear deal with Group 5+1 has no affect on Iran's defensive capability.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Philadelphia, PA, 7/14/2015 The White House 14 Jul 2015
- 14 July 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 14 Jul 2015
- Yemen: UN agencies deliver life-saving medicines and domestic supplies amid ongoing fighting UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- With an expected humanitarian pause failing to take hold in crisis-torn Yemen over the past weekend, the United Nations said today that four out of five people in the country rely on some type of assistance, and the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that it has been able to deliver urgently needed supplies to the port city of Aden.
- Saudi warplanes launch fresh raids across Yemen Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- Fresh Saudi airstrikes have reportedly pounded different areas across Yemen in a blatant violation of a UN-sponsored ceasefire in the Arabian Peninsula country.
- Iraqi Forces Pound IS Militants Near Ramadi VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Iraq's army and allied paramilitaries attacked Islamic State group positions Tuesday around Ramadi in their latest push to recapture the Anbar capital from the jihadists, commanders said.
- Syria, Hezbollah retake key neighborhood in Zabadani Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- Syrian armed forces and fighters of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah have retaken a key residential area in the southwestern town of Zabadani.
- Two top ISIL leaders killed in airstrikes in Syria: Monitor Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- Two senior leaders of the ISIL Takfiri group have been killed in the eastern and northeastern parts of Syria, a monitoring group says.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 14 militants near Afghan border Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- The Pakistani military says its forces have killed 14 pro-Taliban militants in airstrikes near the country's border with Afghanistan.
- Ukraine: UNICEF appeals for help to restore damaged water facilities for 1.3 million people UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- With only 60 per cent of the pre-conflict water supply capacities still functioning in Ukraine, some 1.3 million people are struggling to cope with a "serious water crisis" because of damaged or destroyed water lines, forcing many families to travel with buckets to working wells in neighbouring villages, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) warned today.
- Ukraine: Push Launched for MH17 Tribunal VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Ukraine says it and four other countries have launched a push for the creation of an international criminal tribunal to bring to account those responsible for the downing one year ago of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine.
- Success of UN DR Congo mission hinges on 'constructive partnership' with Government, Security Council told UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- The capacity of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) to fulfil its mandate rests on "persistent engagement" with the authorities, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of the Mission, Martin Kobler, told the Security Council today.
- Security Council extends UN peacekeeping force in Abyei through December 2015 UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has extended the mandate of the Organization's interim peacekeeping force in Abyei – a resource-rich area contested by Sudan and South Sudan – as part of ongoing efforts to maintain peace and protect civilians in the disputed territory.
- Statement by PM Netanyahu 14.7.15 Prime Minister Netanyahu 14 Jul 2015 -- "The world is a much more dangerous place today than it was yesterday. The leading international powers have bet our collective future on a deal with the foremost sponsor of international terrorism. They've gambled that in ten years' time, Iran's terrorist regime will change while removing any incentive for it to do so. In fact, the deal gives Iran every incentive not to change."
- Press Availability on Nuclear Deal With Iran US Dept. of State 14 Jul 2015 -- Press Availability by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Statement by the President on Iran The White House 14 Jul 2015 -- "Today, after two years of negotiations, the United States, together with our international partners, has achieved something that decades of animosity has not -- a comprehensive, long-term deal with Iran that will prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon."
- Key Excerpts of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) The White House 14 Jul 2015
- Readout of the President's Call with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel The White House 14 Jul 2015
- Background Conference Call on Iran The White House 14 Jul 2015
- IAEA Director General's Statement and Road-map for the Clarification of Past & Present Outstanding Issues regarding Iran's Nuclear Program IAEA 14 Jul 2015
- Director General's Statement on the Announcement by the E3/EU + 3 and Iran on the Agreement of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action IAEA 14 Jul 2015
- President says Iranians' wish for good deal realized IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that Iranians' wish for a good nuclear accord has materialized.
- Zarif calls nuclear deal 'a new chapter of hope' IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called nuclear deal between Iran and P5+1 'a new chapter of hope'.
- President Rouhani: Iran, IAEA to speed up cooperation IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have agreed to speed up cooperation in a bid to fully settle all previous issues.
- Historic nuclear deal reached; Iran no longer under sanction IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran and the world powers reached a final nuclear agreement after two years of relentless efforts which put an end to more than a decade of disputes.
- Summary of provisions of the CJPOA IRNA 14 Jul 2015 -- After 22 months of intensive talks, Iran and G5+1 on Tuesday signed the Comprehensive Joint Plan of Action to remove all misunderstandings on Iran's peaceful nuclear program and simultaneous termination of unfair economic sanctions on Iran.
- Iran, G5+1 finalize text of agreement ISNA 14 Jul 2015 -- A text of agreement known as "Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action" (JCPOA) was obtained after 22 months of serious and intensive talks between Iran and G5+1 is a political and international document which includes 100 pages for the main text and 5 pages for annexes.
- Contents of agreement text signed by Iran, G5+1 in Vienna ISNA 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany have signed a text of agreement in Vienna that will include the following points.
- Zarif: We reach solution ending unnecessary crisis ISNA 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran and G5+1 won a win-win solution which ends an unnecessary crisis and is a new horizon to deal with ongoing issues, said Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif in Iran-G5+1 meeting in Vienna on Tuesday.
- Historic Iranian nuclear deal reached People's Daily 14 Jul 2015 -- A historic agreement has been reached over the Iranian nuclear issue between Iran and six world major countries, a diplomatic source confirmed on Tuesday.
- Iran nuclear deal 'historic mistake': Israeli PM People's Daily 14 Jul 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu slammed on Tuesday the nuclear deal reached between the world powers and Iran, calling it a 'historic mistake.'
- Israel not bound by deal with Iran: Netanyahu Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- In the wake of the conclusion of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that the Tel Aviv regime will not "be bound by this deal."
- Iran achieved all long-sought objectives in nuclear talks: Rouhani Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic achieved all four objectives it was seeking throughout intensive nuclear talks with six world powers.
- Obama: Iran 'deal' has backing of international community Press TV 14 Jul 2015 -- US President Barack Obama says the conclusion of nuclear talks with Iran has the backing of the entire international community.
- 'Historic' Iran Nuclear Deal Sealed After Marathon Talks RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran and major global powers sealed a landmark deal to curb Tehran's nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, taking a giant step to end a confrontation that has poisoned ties, isolated the Islamic nation, and raised the specter of a new war in the Middle East.
- Iran Deal: Access To Military Sites Still A Potential Sticking Point RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- The Iranian nuclear deal appears to have been unable to put one key issue fully to rest, leaving it to be worked out in practice despite the risk it could severely test the agreement's viability.
- Russia And Iran Are Trading Places RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- After decades as an isolated rogue state, Iran appears to be finally coming in from the cold. And after decades of pretending to be a partner to the West, Russia has gone rogue.
- US Congress Needs to Comb Through Iran Deal - Senate Committee Chairman Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will conduct a review of the agreement once President Barack Obama provides the agreement to the Committee in full.
- Iranian President Rouhani Says Nuclear Deal is 'Win-Win' For All Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday referred to the dispute over the country's nuclear energy program as an 'unnecessary crisis', the resolution of which would bring about new opportunities.
- US Can Snap Back Iran Sanctions in Case if Nuclear Deal Violated - Treasury Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- The United States will reinstate sanctions on Iran if the nuclear agreement is not implemented.
- Iran's Arak Heavy Reactor Will Not Produce Weapon Grade Plutonium - Kerry Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran will not use its Arak nuclear facility to produce heavy water and will only use the plant for peaceful purposes, US Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday.
- Iran Nuclear Deal Ends Decade-Long Standoff - Mogherini, Zarif Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- After over two weeks of strenuous talks the Iran's nuclear deal was reached. It envisages that the UN arms embargo against Iran will remain for another five years. US missile sanctions will stay intact for another eight years. In compliance with a 'snapback' plan, sanctions may be renewed within 65 days if Iran violates the agreement.
- Putin: World Breathes Sigh of Relief Over Iran Nuclear Deal Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin welcomed the agreement on the Iranian nuclear program and called on all parties to fully implement its provisions.
- UN applauds 'historic' deal on Iranian nuclear programme UN News 14 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations has welcomed the agreement reached between international negotiators and the Government of Iran as the two parties pave the way for a viable solution on the Gulf country's nuclear programme and towards possible peace in the region.
- Historic Iran Nuclear Agreement Reached VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- World powers have reached a deal with Iran that will limit the country's nuclear program in exchange for eased economic sanctions, ending more than a decade of tempestuous negotiations.
- Obama: Iran Nuclear Deal Makes World Safer VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Months of international negotiations and years of sanctions targeting Iran's nuclear program led up to this one moment. In the early hours of July 14, U.S. President Barack Obama made his way down a long red-carpeted hallway in the White House to announce a historic agreement.
- US Congress Reacts to Nuclear Deal with Iran VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Early Congressional reaction to the landmark nuclear agreement, signed with Iran, appears to be largely split down party lines with Democratic lawmakers appearing cautiously optimistic and Republicans questioning whether the U.S. gave too many concessions to reach a final accord.
- US Presidential Candidates on Iran VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Most Republicans running for their party's nomination in the 2016 presidential election have been strongly opposed to the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Iran Nuclear Pact Faces US Congressional Votes VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- A landmark nuclear accord between Iran and the international community that was the product of years of diplomacy and marathon negotiations has additional hurdles to clear in Washington: tough votes in both houses of the Republican-led Congress.
- Israel Rejects, UN Hails Nuclear Deal VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- The news that major world powers and Iran reached a historic deal aimed at ensuring that Iran does not obtain the nuclear bomb was met with condemnation by Israel but hailed by the United Nations and Tehran's regional neighbors.
- Analysts Have Mixed Reaction to Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 14 Jul 2015 -- Iran and major world powers have reached a long-sought deal to scale back Tehran's nuclear program in exchange for relaxing the sanctions that have devastated its economy. Reactions to the deal vary wildly. Some say the agreement will prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb and will reintegrate it into the global community. Others warn it will leave Tehran as a nuclear threshold state and could spark a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.
- Reports Say Historic Nuclear Deal Reached With Iran RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- News agencies are quoting Western and Iranian diplomats as saying Tehran and six major powers have reached a historic nuclear deal in Vienna.
- Iran Nuclear Talks Extended As Signs Of Agreement Emerge RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- Nuclear negotiations between Iran and six major world powers continued into the wee hours of July 14, amid signs that a final deal could soon emerge.
- S Korea Willing to Improve Ties With N Korea Despite Nuclear Program Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- South Korea is prepared to start talks with North Korea as it does not see North Korea's denuclearization as a prerequisite for better inter-Korean ties, Seoul's Minister Hong Yong-pyo said Tuesday.
- Right Sector Will Not Lay Down Arms by Poroshenko's Order Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- Right Sector is not an illegal armed formation, but a 'volunteer corps which protects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Ukrainian nation', Artyom Skoropadsky, press secretary for the organization, claimed.
- Biden: Russia Seeking Ukraine's Economic 'Collapse' RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has accused Russia of trying to destabilize Ukraine "by any means it can," saying the Kremlin wants to see the economy of its ex-Soviet neighbor crumble.
- Burundi crisis gets serious for regional leaders IRIN 14 Jul 2015 -- Burundi's political crisis is centred on a leader who is refusing to leave office after almost 10 years. The man sent in to mediate has been in power for almost 30. Apart from that irony, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's arrival in Bujumbura underlines just how high the stakes are for regional leaders.
- Russian Troops Demarcate Part Of Georgian Oil Pipeline RFE/RL 14 Jul 2015 -- Georgian authorities have expressed concern over recent demarcation activities by Russian troops in Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia that appear to leave a 1,605-meter portion of the strategic Baku-Supsa oil pipeline outside Tbilisi's control.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|