20 April 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 20 Apr 2015 [PDF]
- Military Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL in Ramadi, Beiji AFPS 20 Apr 2015 -- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's tentacles are spreading beyond Iraq and Syria to Afghanistan and Libya, but the pressure of coalition air and ground power has weakened the terrorist group, a Defense Department official said here today.
- USS Theodore Roosevelt Operating in the Arabian Sea NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- The aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), escorted by the guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60), transited the Strait of Hormuz from its station in the Arabian Gulf to the Arabian Sea, April 19.
- US warships dispatched near Yemen Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- The United States has dispatched its warships near Yemen as Saudi Arabia's aggression continues against the Arab world's poorest country.
- U.S. Aircraft Carrier Sent To Yemen Amid Reports Of Iranian Arms Convoys RFE/RL 20 Apr 2015 -- The U.S. Navy has sent an aircraft carrier and a guided-missile cruiser toward Yemen.
- US Navy Sends Aircraft Carrier 'Theodore Roosevelt' to Waters of Yemen Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The two warships will join seven US warships in the area and come as Iran said it had dispatched nine warships toward Yemen.
- Clash of terrorists: ISIL vs. Taliban in Afghanistan Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- ISIL Takfiri militants and the Taliban terrorist movement have allegedly declared war against each other in Afghanistan, a recent report says.
- Gunmen Storm Afghan Police Station RFE/RL 20 Apr 2015 -- Insurgents stormed a police station in Afghanistan's southern city of Lashkar Gar late on April 19.
Defense Policy / Programs
- AF realigns B-1, LRS-B under Air Force Global Strike Command AFNS 20 Apr 2015 -- The Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force have directed the realignment of the Air Force's B-1 bomber fleets and Long Range Strike-Bomber program from Air Combat Command to Air Force Global Strike Command, effective Oct. 1.
- AF acquisition: Investing now to win the high-end fight of the future AFNS 20 Apr 2015 -- How does Dr. William LaPlante, the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, apply his 29 years of defense technology experience to improve a $32 billion research, development and acquisition portfolio? That is the question he sought to answer.
- Gunfighter Flag 15-2: Bringing deployments home AFNS 20 Apr 2015 -- Airmen from the 366th Fighter Wing and the 266th Range Squadron teamed up with Sailors, Marines and Army National Guardsmen for combat training scenarios during Gunfighter Flag 15-2.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan DoD 20 Apr 2015
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting with German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen DoD 20 Apr 2015
- Carrier Strike Group 8 Changes Command, Continues Deployment Preparation NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8 held a change of command ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station, April 17.
- Comfort Completes First CP-15 Mission Stop in Belize NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) departed Belize City April 19. This marks the completion of the first mission stop for Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15).
- Comfort Completes Medical Care in Belize during CP-15 NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- Medical professionals embarked aboard the Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) worked alongside Belizean medical professionals to provide medical care at the Hattieville Government School, Independence High School and aboard Comfort April 10-18 during the humanitarian assistance mission Continuing Promise 2015 (CP-15).
- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 49 Detachment 4 Returns Home NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- The 'Scorpions' of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 49 hosted a welcome home ceremony for Detachment 4 at Naval Air Station North Island (NASNI) April 17 following the detachment's seven-month deployment aboard USS Gary (FFG 51) to the U.S. 4th and 3rd Fleet areas of operation.
- Blue Ridge Arrives in Zhanjiang to Promote Maritime Cooperation NNS 20 Apr 2015 -- U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) arrived in Zhanjiang April 20 for a port visit building relationships and reinforcing positive navy-to-navy exchanges with the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLA(N)) South Sea Fleet.
- Military Exercises Begin in Ukraine, Philippines AFPS 20 Apr 2015 -- Military training exercises begin today in Ukraine for Fearless Guardian, and in the Philippines for the 31st iteration of Exercise Balikatan, a Pentagon spokesman said today.
- 31st iteration of Balikatan kicks off USMC News 20 Apr 2015 -- Government officials and senior military leaders of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and U.S. Armed Forces announced the opening of Exercise Balikatan 2015 at Camp Emilio Aguinaldo, Republic of the Philippines, April 20.
- Philippines, U.S. hold 'Shoulder to Shoulder' military exercises People's Daily 20 Apr 2015 -- The 'Shoulder to Shoulder' (Local name: Balikatan) exercises begins in locations in five provinces of the Philippineson Monday, involving 11,500 Filipino and U.S. military personnel.
- Philippine, US Open Joint Military Exercises Amid China Concerns VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- Joint military exercises involving a larger than usual number of United States and Philippines troops get underway in the Philippines today amid concerns about China's expansive reclamation work in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- NATO Secretary General stresses importance of defending democratic values in visit to Copenhagen NATO 20 Apr 2015 -- In a visit to Denmark on Monday (20 April 2015) NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg commended the Danish people for the way they stood up for open democratic societies after February's Copenhagen attacks, adding that it was "more important to defend our values as we face a dramatically changed security environment in Europe and right on Europe's borders."
- Russia's Military Activity in Arctic Fully Transparent - Official Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has said that Moscow's military activity in the Arctic is absolutely transparent and that the militarization of the region is out of the question.
- Second Shipment of S-400 Missile Systems Arrives in Russia's Far East Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The second of five deliveries of S-400 (SA-21 Growler) missile defense systems has arrived to Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula, the Russian Pacific Fleet's press service said Monday.
- Second train with S-400 missile systems arrives in Russia's Kamchatka TASS 20 Apr 2015 -- The second of the total five trains with equipment of S-400 Triumph antiaircraft missile systems has arrived in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in Russia's Far East, the press service of the Eastern Military District reported on Monday.
- Prototype of new RS-26 ICBM to be shown to US side by year end TASS 20 Apr 2015 -- A prototype of the RS-26 new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) will be demonstrated to the American side within the framework of the implementation of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START-3), says tender documentation posted by the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) on the public procurement website on Monday.
- Xi's Visit to Pakistan Brings Pledges of Cooperation on Security VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's meetings in Islamabad are planned to largely focus on broadening deep economic relations, but Pakistani officials say civilian and military leaders will also brief him on the progress in counter-militancy operations and efforts to promote peace in neighboring Afghanistan.
- Indian Navy Launches First Missile Destroyer of Own Design Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The Indian Navy has launched its first guided-missile destroyer of Indian design and construction, the country's Defense Ministry said in a statement Monday.
- Iran, Azerbaijan serious to expand defensive, security cooperation IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan and his Azeri counterpart Zaker Hassanov in Baku on Monday underlined expansion of Tehran-Baku defensive and security cooperation.
- Defense minister: Iran keen on defense cooperation with Azerbaijan IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan in a meeting on Monday with his Azeri counterpart General Zakir Hasanov discussed issues of mutual interests, regional and global developments.
- U.S., Kyiv Launch Joint Training Exercises In Western Ukraine RFE/RL 20 Apr 2015 -- U.S. and Ukrainian troops have begun joint training exercises in western Ukraine in a bid to strengthen government forces that are fighting Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Lebanese Army Receives First Batch of Military Aid From France Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The first delivery of weapons and other military aid from France arrived in Lebanon on Monday, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported.
- Algerian Air Force Plane Crashes in Country's South, Both Pilots Dead Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- An Algerian Air Force plane has crashed in the country's south killing both pilots, an Algerian military source told Sputnik on Monday.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 4/20/2015 The White House 20 Apr 2015
- April 20, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Apr 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for April 20, 2015
- Financial Problems With Sukhoi Superjet-100 to Lead to New Company Merger Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- Russian and Italian shareholders of the two ventures responsible for the production and promotion of Russia's regional airliner, the Sukhoi Superjet-100 (SSJ), might merge the two companies into one; the new business model should be ready by the time the Paris Air Show starts in Le Bourget in June.
- 20 April 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Apr 2015
- Yemen Brings US, Iran Closer to Naval Face-off VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- Rising tensions over the conflict in Yemen appear to be pitting the United States against Iran in a sensitive showdown in the Gulf of Aden.
- Saudi-led Airstrikes Hit Yemen's Houthi Rebels VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- A Saudi-led coalition launched more airstrikes overnight in Yemen, including one that caused a giant explosion, with reports of at least 25 people killed.
- Yemenis will never surrender to aggression: Ansarullah leader IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Condemning Saudi Arabia's aggression against his country, leader of Yemen's Ansarullah movement Abdul-Malik al-Houthi said the Yemeni nation is seeking its rights and will never surrender.
- At least 40 killed in Saudi raids on Yemeni capital Sana'a Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- At least 40 people have been killed and 547 more injured as Saudi jets target a missile depot in the Yemeni capital city of Sana'a.
- Zarif: Iran to spare no effort to end bloodshed in Yemen IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday expressed Iran's deep worry on ruthless massacre of defenseless, innocent Yemeni citizens and destroying of their country's infrastructures, repeating Iran's resolve to do all its best to end bloodshed.
- Documents Show Former Saddam Spy Was Islamic State Mastermind Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- The mastermind behind the rise of the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq was one of Saddam Hussein's former intelligence officers, who had been angered by the nature of the US-led invasion of Iraq, a new report suggests.
- Iraqi displaced blocked from Baghdad IRIN 20 Apr 2015 -- Thousands of Iraqis fleeing the so-called Islamic State are being prevented from entering Baghdad and other cities because local officials fear IS sleeper cells could be among them.
- Syria army cuts off key militant supply route near Jordan Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- Syrian government forces have cut off a key supply route of foreign-backed militants in southern Syria used to transport arms and ammunition from neighboring Jordan.
- Security Council 'deeply concerned' about humanitarian situation for refugees in Yarmouk camp UN News 20 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has today expressed deep concern about the grave humanitarian situation in Yarmouk refugee camp, located on the outskirts of the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Europe Increasingly Accepting Assad in IS Fight VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- European politicians and delegations are appearing increasingly in Damascus, and recently a group of Belgian lawmakers met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Militants, Russia Say Caucasus Insurgent Leader Kebekov Dead RFE/RL 20 Apr 2015 -- Russian authorities and militant websites say Aliaskhab Kebekov, the leader of the Caucasus Emirate insurgent group, has been killed in Daghestan.
- North Caucasus Terrorist Leaders Killed in Special Operation in Dagestan Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- Following an anti-terrorism operation that began Sunday in Dagestan's Buinaksk, at least three bodies were recovered Monday.
- UN condemns 'horrific' attack that killed four UNICEF staff in Somalia UN News 20 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations has strongly condemned this morning's attack on a UN vehicle in north-eastern Somalia, which killed four UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) workers and seriously injured four others when a roadside bomb exploded alongside the minibus in which they were riding.
- Number of Ukraine IDPs tops 1.2 million: UN Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Ukraine has exceeded 1.2 million, the United Nations says as the crisis in the country's eastern parts enters its second year.
- Analysts Weigh Role of Chinese Peacekeepers in S. Sudan VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- China dispatched 130 additional troops to South Sudan on April 8 to fulfill a United Nations peacekeeping pledge to help secure the restive nation, which has been wracked by civil war.
- Myanmar Clashes Continue Despite Peace Talks VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- Fighting between the Myanmar army and Kachin rebels broke out Saturday and continued until Monday, according to the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO). KIO liaison officer, Colonel Zaw Taung, told VOA Burmese government troops attacked a rebel outpost Monday in Hukawng valley.
- Former top negotiator hails nuclear negotiations achievements IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Iran's former nuclear negotiator Hossein Mousavian on Monday hailed achievements made in nuclear talks with the western governments.
- Supreme Leader's guidelines are reference to nuclear talks IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Borujerdi said on Monday that the Supreme Leader's guidelines are the reference to the nuclear talks.
- No limitations acceptable on Iran nuclear industry: Spokesman IRNA 20 Apr 2015 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Bahrouz Kamalvandi said there are no limitations acceptable for Iran's nuclear industry.
- Iran Charges Washington Post Reporter With Espionage Sputnik 20 Apr 2015 -- Iranian authorities charged The Washington Post's Tehran bureau chief Jason Rezaian with espionage after being detained in Iran for nearly a year, according to US media outlets.
- Iran Charges US Reporter With Spying VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- A U.S. reporter jailed in Iran is being charged with four crimes, including espionage.
- China's Xi Gets Warm Welcome in Islamabad VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- China's president is in Islamabad for a two-day visit focusing on energy and infrastructure projects. In his meetings with top Pakistani leaders, he is also discussing militancy issues and Afghanistan.
- Senior leader of Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group killed: Source Press TV 20 Apr 2015 -- A high-ranking leader of the so-called Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group has been killed in the Pakistan's port city of Karachi, a major blow to terrorists operating across the Pakistani-Iranian border.
- S.Korea, DPRK still in deadlock on wage hike for economic zone People's Daily 20 Apr 2015 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is still in deadlock on the issue for wage hike of DPRK workers in the joint industrial complex in the DPRK's border town of Kaesong.
- US Charges 6 for Conspiring to Provide Material Support to IS VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- U.S. officials in Minnesota charged six men Monday for attempting to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State militant group.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|