29 March 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO Sets Up Information Warfare HQ in Latvia Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- The Latvian capital of Riga has recently become the new home of a branch of NATOChannel, a media content provider creating, video, audio, and internet content for the alliance, Latvian media reports.
- Arab leaders agree to form joint military force: Egypt's Sisi Press TV 29 Mar 2015 -- Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi says the Arab League member states have agreed in principle to form a joint military force to deal with what they described as security threats.
- Arab League Summit Agrees on Unified Military Force Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- The leaders of the Arab League have announced the establishment of a unified military force during their summit, which is now under way in Egypt.
- Egypt's Sissi: Arab Leaders Agree to Joint Military Force VOA 29 Mar 2015 -- Arab leaders have agreed to form a joint military force in the face of the 'challenges' facing the region, Egypt's president announced on the final day of a two-day Arab summit.
- RAF Holds Biggest Drills in 13 Years to Counter 'Russian Attacks' Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- British Royal Air Force held first such large-scale air combat exercises in 13 years to prepare for any mass enemy attack on the United Kingdom, including "Russian attacks," The Sunday Times reported.
- Saudi Arabia-led Coalition Intensifies Airstrikes Against Houthis in Yemen Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- A Saudi-Arabia led coalition intensified its airstrikes against the Houthi rebels' positions in Yemen, Sky News Arabia reported Sunday.
- Warplanes raid Yemen's capital as airstrike enters fourth day People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- Warplanes of Saudi-led Arab coalition forces raided Yemen's capital of Sanaa on Saturday, as the airstrikes against the Shiite Houthi group enters the fourth day.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Air Strikes on Sanaa Kill 15 and Disable Airport Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- An attack by a coalition of Arab countries on rebel targets in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, have left 15 soldiers dead and crippled the country's international airport.
- Yemeni President to Stay in an Arab Capital Until Situation Settles Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi will stay in one of the Arab capitals until conditions in Yemen allow him to return there, Yemen foreign minister Riyadh Yassin said on Saturday.
- Syrian troops reposition in Idlib suburbs after city falls Press TV 29 Mar 2015 -- Syrian military forces have regrouped in the suburbs of the northwestern city of Idlib a day after the city fell into the hands of al-Qaeda-linked terrorists.
- Assad: Support for Islamic State Has Expanded in Syria Since US-Led Airstrikes VOA 29 Mar 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says support for Islamic State has expanded since the United States-led coalition began airstrikes on militant targets in Syria.
- Sudanese rebels allege capturing army garrison, killing dozens Press TV 29 Mar 2015 -- Rebel forces in Sudan say they have taken control of a military garrison in the North African country's conflict-ridden southern state of South Kordofan, but government forces have dismissed the claim.
- Suspected Boko Haram Militants Kill 41 People in Nigeria Amid Election Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- At least 41 people have been killed by suspected Boko Haram militants in Nigeria, where millions of voters earlier lined up to cast their ballots.
- White House: Success of talks depends on Iran Press TV 29 Mar 2015 -- The United States says it is optimistic that Iran and the P5+1 can reach a nuclear deal as a self-imposed end-March deadline approaches, but success of talks depends on Tehran.
- Iran denies Western media report on enrichment constraints Press TV 29 Mar 2015 -- A senior Iranian nuclear negotiator has dismissed a report by the Associated Press on the possibility of Tehran's acceptance of new constraints on its uranium enrichment program during the ongoing sensitive talks between Iran and the P5+1 group.
- Iran, Powers Explore Compromises As Nuclear Talks Intensify RFE/RL 29 Mar 2015 -- Representatives of Iran and six world powers are intensifying talks in Switzerland, as a deadline to reach a deal on Tehran's nuclear program looms.
- Iran Says Political Accord Highly Likely At Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 29 Mar 2015 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has said that there is a "90 percent probability" Tehran and six world powers will adopt a political declaration in their negotiations before an end-of-March deadline.
- Iran Talks Get Tougher as Deadline Looms VOA 29 Mar 2015 -- Two top foreign ministers helping to negotiate a nuclear deal with Iran are sounding confident that an agreement can be reached by Tuesday's deadline.
- Uzbeks Vote In Heavily Criticized Presidential Election RFE/RL 29 Mar 2015 -- Uzbekistan has voted in a presidential election all but certain to secure incumbent Islam Karimov a fourth term in office.
- Technical Problems Mar Nigerian Election; Voting Extended Into Sunday VOA 29 Mar 2015 -- Voting in Nigeria's national elections resumes Sunday for an unplanned second day after officials held up polling in some areas Saturday because of technical glitches and long delays.
- Polls Close in Nigeria Election After Technical Glitches Extend Voting VOA 29 Mar 2015 -- Election workers across Nigeria labored Sunday to tally millions of votes from the country's closely watched national elections, after some polls that were kept open an extra day by technical problems finally closed.
- China eyes more maritime cooperation with ASEAN People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- China hopes all-round maritime cooperation with the ASEAN will become a model for building the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, Chines State Councilor Yang Jiechi said here on Saturday.
- China welcomes Denmark, Australia to AIIB People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- China's Ministry of Finance on Sunday welcomed the decisions of Denmark and Australia to apply to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- New Chinese Bank Becomes Major Headache For U.S. RFE/RL 29 Mar 2015 -- Another day, it seems, brings another new member to China's latest big international initiative: a new development bank for Asia. Russia became the latest country to announce it would join the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), to be based in Beijing.
- DPRK denounces new UN resolution on its human rights People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Saturday slammed a new UN resolution on its human rights record, calling it a 'farce staged at the UN human rights arena as a product of the U.S. hostile policy' toward Pyongyang.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|