13 November 2014 Military News
- Hagel: ISIL Degraded But Remains Dangerous AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- United States and coalition forces have made progress in recent months against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, but the campaign will be "a long and difficult struggle," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told Congress here today.
- Dempsey Urges 'Strategic Patience' in Anti-ISIL Campaign AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- The campaign against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is just entering its fourth month, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff urged Congress and the American people to develop the strategic patience needed to see the effort through.
- Pentagon Chief: Coalition Airstrikes Against IS to Intensify VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says the U.S.-led airstrikes against Islamic State militants will intensify in the future as Iraqi ground forces work to become more effective.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 13 Nov 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Ebola-zone Troops' Health Remains Top Concern, Official Says AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- Ensuring that U.S. personnel dispatched to West Africa to help stop the spread of Ebola don't contract the deadly disease remains the U.S. military's top priority, a senior Defense Department official said today, as the first group of military personnel deployed to Africa as part of Operation United Assistance were set to return to the United States.
- USAID Administrator Praises DoD Effort in Ebola Fight AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- Against the largest and most protracted Ebola outbreak in history, the U.S. military has made a Herculean effort and helped accelerate the critical response in Liberia, Administrator Rajiv Shah of the U.S. Agency for International Development told a House panel today.
- Militants attack NATO convoy in Afghanistan East Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- Militants have attacked a convoy of NATO forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Providing a FAST deployment role AFNS 13 Nov 2014 -- (This feature is part of the 'Through Airmen's Eyes' series on AF.mil. These stories focus on a single Airman, highlighting their Air Force story.)
- Pentagon calls for end to its budget cuts Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- US Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work has warned American lawmakers against the continuation of across-the-board spending cuts for the Pentagon, which he described as total "madness."
- USS Ingraham Decommissioned after 25 years of Service NNS 13 Nov 2014 -- Sailors and guests bade farewell to Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS Ingraham (FFG 61) as the ship concluded 25 years of naval service during a decommissioning ceremony on Naval Station Everett (NSE), Washington, Nov. 12.
- Successful International Mine Countermeasures Exercise Concludes NNS 13 Nov 2014 -- This year's International Mine Countermeasures Exercise (IMCMEX) concluded in Bahrain Nov. 13, after nearly three weeks of seminars and training maneuvers.
- New maintenance team focuses on launch control centers AFNS 13 Nov 2014 -- Repairs at the 341st Missile Wing's 15 launch control centers (LCCs) are being attended to more expediently and thoroughly now, thanks to a specialized team recently created within the 341st Maintenance Group.
- Focused on the future, force improvement marks progress AFNS 13 Nov 2014 -- Over the past few months, many changes have come to Air Force Global Strike Command. What started as a grass-roots effort has become a monumental effort by Air Force leaders and Airmen to foster positive changes within the command.
- US Fighter Jets Begin Exercises Over Estonia: Estonian Defense Forces Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Two US Air Force F-16 fighter jets are scheduled to start military drills in Estonian airspace Thursday, the country's Defense Forces announced.
- Most Guantanamo Prisoners Have No Intention to Return to Battlefield Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- More than 90 percent of Guantanamo Bay detainees have no intention of returning to the battlefield, US Defense Secreatry Chuck Hagel said Thursday.
- Assault on Sailors Highlights Turkish Anger at US VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Prosecutors in Turkey released a dozen nationalist protesters Thursday who attacked three American sailors in Istanbul the day before.
- Opening remarks by NATO Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow at the 2014 NATO Industry Forum, Croatia NATO 13 Nov 2014 -- Authorities in Azerbaijan's breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region have dismissed a statement by Baku warning that it declared the airspace over the territory closed.
- NATO and the OSCE exchange views on situation in Ukraine NATO 12 Nov 2014 -- The Secretary General of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Ambassador Lamberto Zannier, visited NATO HQ on Wednesday 12 November.
- US Warns Russia Over Military Flights Near American Shores VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- The United States has expressed renewed concern about Russian military flights near U.S. borders and has warned Moscow to abide by international law.
- Russian bomber patrols to extend to vicinity of US Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- Russia's military says it plans to expand regular patrol missions by its long-range bombers to the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Russian Caspian Flotilla Conducts Anti-Terrorism Drill: Internal Ministry Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Ships and coastal troops of the Russian Caspian Flotilla ran a series of counter-terrorism drills Thursday, the Southern Army Command for Internal Ministry press service stated.
- Russian Warships Near Australia in Line With Int'l Law: Australian FM Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Foreign Minister of Australia Julie Bishop has said that Russia's sending warships to international waters near Australia on the eve of the G20 summit is consistent with international law, The Australian reported Thursday.
- Russian Army to Receive Upgraded Flame Weapons: RChBD Troops Head Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Flame units of the Russian Troops of Radiological, Chemical and Biological Defense (RChBD) will soon receive upgraded flame weapons, head of the RChBD troops Maj. Gen. Eduard Cherkasov said Thursday.
- Russian Army to Modernize 70% of Equipment by 2020: RChBD Troops Head Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- The Russian Troops of Radiological, Chemical and Biological Defense (RChBD) will have 70 percent of its weaponry and equipment modernized by 2020, head of the RChBD troops Maj. Gen. Eduard Cherkasov said Thursday.
- Pakistan tests launch of nuke-capable missile People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- Pakistan on Thursday conducted a successful training launch of an intermediate range nuclear-capable ballistic missile, the military said.
- Pakistan test-fires nuclear capable ballistic missile Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- The Pakistani army has successfully test-fired an intermediate-range missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- Iraqi PM Shakes Up Military In Push Against Graft RFE/RL 13 Nov 2014 -- Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has conducted a major shakeup of Iraq's military in an anticorruption drive.
- India, China to Hold Counter-Terror Drill VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Hundreds of Indian and Chinese soldiers met in a tense standoff on their disputed border just two months ago. This Sunday, the two countries will carry out counterterrorism exercises -- together.
- China, India to hold anti-terror training drill People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- The Chinese and Indian armies will hold a joint counterterrorism military training drill in the near future, a source with the Chinese military said on Thursday.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest and Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes, 11/13/14 The White House 13 Nov 2014
- November 13, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2014
- DoD News: Contracts for November 13, 2014
- Russia to Build First Hypersonic Missiles by 2020: Missiles Corporation Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- The first air-launched hypersonic missiles could be produced in Russia within the next six years, Boris Obnosov, general director of the Tactical Missile Systems Corporation, stated Thursday.
- Pentagon Signs $306Mln Drone Deal: Northrop Grumman Corporation Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- The US Department of Defense signed a $306 million contract to continue logistics and sustainment services for the RQ-4 Global Hawk, an advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance unmanned aircraft, defense contractor Northrop Grumman has said.
- 13 November 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Nov 2014
- Analysis: Refugee or IDP - does it really matter? IRIN 13 Nov 2014 -- At Harsham camp on the northern edge of Erbil, internally displaced Iraqi families who fled Mosul and its surrounding villages to escape Islamist militants stock their tents with donated blankets and warm clothes in preparation for the fast-advancing winter.
- US Analysts See Situation in E. Ukraine as Very Dangerous VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- The conflict in eastern Ukraine is intensifying. Russian military forces concentrated along the border and frequent violations of the cease-fire agreement reached in September between Kyiv and Moscow-backed separatists, lead many American experts to believe the situation in the region has become very dangerous.
- Obama Calls on Russia to Respect Ukraine Cease-fire VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has called on Russia to honor a September cease-fire between Kyiv and pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine Future Clouded After Two 'Elections' VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- After the recent completion of elections in Ukraine there was hope the conflict in the east would ease, but that has not happened. Military convoys from Russia are flowing into rebel-controlled areas again, raising fears of a new offensive and a long-term conflict.
- Under Fire In Ukraine, OSCE Questions Its Worth RFE/RL 13 Nov 2014 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, fighting back against mounting allegations of pro-Russian bias in its mission in Ukraine, has gone on the offensive, calling for stronger support and better access to the porous Ukraine-Russia border.
- Russia Denies Ukraine Presence As Fighting Persists RFE/RL 13 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's military and pro-Russian separatists have reported new casualties amid growing fears of an escalation of the conflict that has shattered ties between Moscow and the West, while Russia firmly denies it has any soldiers in eastern Ukraine.
- Russian Troops Never Crossed Ukrainian Border: Foreign Ministry Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Russian troops have never crossed the border with Ukraine, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich told reporters Thursday.
- Obama seeks new Syria strategy to oust Assad, defeat ISIL: Report Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has asked his national security team to review US strategy toward Syria after concluding that the ISIL terrorist group may not be defeated with Bashar al-Assad in power, officials say.
- Obama Hopes to Review Syria Strategy, Oust al-Assad: CNN Report Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has asked his national security team to review the US strategy in Syria after determining it is not possible to confront the IS militants without removing Syria's current president, according to a CNN report which was published early on Thursday.
- UN mission condemns bombings in Libya, calls for accountability, dialogue UN News Centre 13 Nov 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly condemned the rising violence in eastern and western Libya, including the bombings this morning in Tripoli of the embassies of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, as well as the ongoing fighting in the city of Benghazi and in Jabal Nafusa, reminding all parties to respect international law.
- Bombs Target Egypt, UAE Missions in Libya VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Amid sporadic fighting between Islamist militias and Libya's official armed forces, several bomb attacks were reported in the capital Tripoli against the embassies of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. Both Egypt and the UAE have expressed strong support for the Libyan military against the Islamists.
- Kerry: 'Firm Commitments' to Restoring Status Quo at Al-Aqsa Mosque VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Israeli, Palestinian, and Jordanian leaders have all agreed on steps to reduce tensions surrounding worshippers at Jerusalem's al-Aqsa mosque. Those steps include Israel lifting restrictions that barred Muslim worshippers under the age of 35 from the mosque.
- US, Israel, Jordan Leaders Discuss Easing Jerusalem Tensions VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry mounted a diplomatic push Thursday to calm rising tensions in Jerusalem with talks in Amman with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Jordan's King Abdullah.
- DPRK denounces Hoguk military drills in S.Korea again People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday again condemned South Korean authorities for conducting the largest ever 'Hoguk' military drills that started Monday despite Pyongyang's effort to improve north-south relations.
- NPCK Spokesman Denounces Hoguk Drills in S. Korea KCNA 13 Nov 2014 -- The spokesman for the National Peace Committee of Korea (NPCK) Thursday made public a statement in denunciation of the largest-ever 2014 Hoguk drills kicked off by the south Korean puppet group on Monday.
- Rodong Sinmun on Purpose of S. Korean Warmongers' Hoguk Drills KCNA 13 Nov 2014 -- The north-targeted Hoguk drills which the south Korean puppet army kicked off together with U.S. imperialist aggressor forces on Monday involve over 330,000 troops of the south Korean army, U.S. forces, at least 23,000 mobile equipment, over 60 warships and various type aircraft.
- 7 soldiers convicted for killing civilians in Indian-controlled Kashmir People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- The Indian army Thursday convicted seven soldiers, including two officers, sentencing them to life imprisonment for a staged killing of three Kashmiri Muslim civilians and passing it off as an anti-terrorist operation for rewards in 2010, said local media.
- Breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh Dismisses Baku's Airspace Warning RFE/RL 13 Nov 2014 -- Authorities in Azerbaijan's breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region have dismissed a statement by Baku warning that it declared the airspace over the territory closed.
- US Official Says Islamic State Overreaching on Finances VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Islamic State terrorists have made unparalleled efforts to finance their activities without relying on donations, and some U.S. lawmakers are wondering whether efforts to cut off the group's funding are falling short.
- US Strengthens Ties with EU to Combat Foreign Fighters VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- The United States and the European Union are strengthening ties in an effort to crack down on foreign fighters returning from Syria intent on carrying out terrorist attacks in their home countries.
- Islamic State Commander Threatening to Invade Russia Dead: Chechen Leader Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- A national of Chechen origin from the post-Soviet republic of Georgia, considered to be a senior commander of the Islamic State (IS), has been killed, the head of Russia's Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov wrote in his Instagram account Thursday.
- Defeating Ebola, 'a fearsome,' elusive enemy, requires scaling up response on the ground - UN UN News Centre 13 Nov 2014 -- There has been important progress made in the global fight against Ebola but a scaling-up in the overall response remains necessary if the deadly outbreak is to be fully stopped, top United Nations officials told the General Assembly today as they cautioned against complacency in tackling the disease.
- Obama Administration Asks Congress for $6B to Fight Ebola in Africa VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- The administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Rajiv Shah and other senior U.S. officials testified before a congressional panel Thursday about the international reaction to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Shah called on Congress to approve President Obama's request for $6.2 billion in emergency funding to combat the deadly disease.
- Liberia halts emergency state over Ebola outbreak Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- Liberia has lifted a state of emergency declared three months ago in the West African country following the outbreak of Ebola.
- Liberia Lifts Ebola State of Emergency: President Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- Liberia's president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, announced on Thursday the end of the state of emergency in the country imposed amid the Ebola virus outbreak in August.
- Liberian President Ends State of Emergency VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is ending the state of emergency she instituted because of the Ebola crisis.
- Briefing by official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia Alexander Lukashevich, 13 November 2014 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 13 Nov 2014
- IAEA corrects data on size of Iran's uranium stockpile Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has corrected its previous estimate of the size of Tehran's uranium stockpile.
- Moscow Says Lavrov, Kerry Agree Iran Nuclear Deal Needed Soon RFE/RL 13 Nov 2014 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. counterpart John Kerry have reportedly called for an agreement to be reached as soon as possible on a permanent nuclear deal with Iran.
- Myanmar opposition seeks constitutional change on presidency bid Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- Myanmar's opposition has called on the parliament to ignore those parts of the constitution that prohibit the opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, from running for president.
- Obama to Meet With Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama holds talks Friday with Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, as questions in the Southeast Asian nation mount over the direction and pace of democratic reforms ahead of 2015 elections.
- US Envoy: No Rewards Offered for N. Korean Release of Americans VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- The United States says it did not offer any rewards to North Korea in return for Pyongyang's releasing two American detainees last week.
- China, Russia ink energy agreements People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- Gas import from Russia via the western route will hit 30 billion cubic meters per year and last for three decades, according to the China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) on Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|