Militants attack NATO convoy in Afghanistan East
Iran Press TV
Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:59PM GMT
Militants have attacked a convoy of NATO forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
The provincial police spokesperson, Hazrat Hosein Mashraqiwal, said the explosion, which happened in the province's Bihsud district on Thursday, left at least one civilian dead and another one injured.
It is yet unclear whether the NATO-led coalition forces suffered casualties in the incident.
The attack on the NATO-led convoy was the second in the eastern province on Thursday. Earlier in the day, an assailant tried to strike another NATO convoy with a bomb at the same location but he was allegedly killed by the foreign troops before reaching the target.
"No other casualties were reported" in that attack, Mashraqiwal said.
Taliban has claimed responsibility for the two incidents. The militant group's spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the convoy of the US forces was targeted in the attack.
Nangarhar a relatively volatile province in Afghanistan where militants are actively operating in a number of its districts.
On November, 12, a mortar attack killed one civilian and injured 9 others in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar Province. The attack came a day after an explosion left at least three policemen killed.
Attacks on foreign forces are still commonplace across Afghanistan over 13 years into the U-S-led occupation of the country.
The number of militant attacks has increased in the war-torn country since Afghanistan signed a controversial security pact, which allows US troops to stay in the country beyond the 2014 withdrawal deadline.
The US and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of the so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but the country is still gripped by insecurity.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|