09 November 2014 Military News
- Obama Touts 'New Phase' in Fight Against IS Group VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says his decision to double the number of American forces in Iraq signals a new phase in the campaign to defeat radical Islamic militants who have seized large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria. Obama made the remarks in a rare Sunday appearance on a U.S. television news program.
- Iraqi Ministers: Islamic State Leader Wounded in Airstrike VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- Senior Iraqi officials are reporting that the leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has been wounded in an airstrike, but the Pentagon says it has no such information.
- ISIL leader injured in US-led airstrikes in Iraq Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi Interior Ministry has confirmed that the leader of the ISIL Takfiri group, Ibrahim al-Samarrai aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has been injured in the latest airstrikes by the US-led coalition.
- U.S. Targets IS Leaders In Iraq RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- The U.S. military says it has targeted Islamic State leaders in Iraq. Senior U.S. defense officials said a series of air strikes destroyed a convoy of 10 vehicles near the northern city of Mosul on November 7.
- Iraq Investigates Possible Death of IS Chief Commander After Airstrikes RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- The fate of the IS chief commander Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is currently unknown, as rumors are circulating that he was injured or even killed during a recent US-led airstrike in Iraq, which targeted a group of jihadist leaders near the city of Mosul, AFP reported on Sunday.
- British Military Officer: Loss of IS Leader Would Not Be Deathblow VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- Britain's senior military officer is warning that the militant Islamic State group will regenerate its command even if it turns out that an American airstrike in Iraq killed key jihadist leaders.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Rodney M. Davis Arrives in Brunei for CARAT Brunei 2014 NNS 09 Nov 2014 -- The Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided-missile frigate USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG 60) arrived Nov. 9 to participate in the 20th iteration of the Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise with the Royal Brunei Navy (RBN).
- India successfully test-fires nuclear capable ballistic missile Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- The Indian army has successfully test-fired its medium-range nuclear-capable Agni-II (Fire-II) missile with a range of more than 2,000 kilometers (1,242 miles) in India's eastern state of Odisha.
- Brazil to Hold Military Drills Aimed at Protecting the Amazon Sputnik 09 Nov 2014 -- Brazil plans to hold military exercises in the Amazon aimed at preparing soldiers to protect the region from foreign invasion, New York Times reports.
- US Alarmed Over Reports of Russian Buildup in E. Ukraine VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- The White House voiced "grave concern" Sunday over reports of military reinforcements pouring into eastern Ukraine from neighboring Russia, including the cross-border transfer of heavy weapons and tanks.
- EU Says Reports Of Convoys In Ukraine 'Very Worrying' RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- The European Union has expressed deep concern over reports of military convoys moving westward on rebel-controlled territory in eastern Ukraine and urged Russia to withdraw any troops or weapons under its control from the neighboring country.
- President Poroshenko Promises Not to Allow Ukraine's Division on Linguistic Grounds RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko has stated on his Facebook page Sunday, he will not allow the division of the country on linguistic grounds, though he still intends to keep the Ukrainian language as the only state language.
- Donetsk Militia in East Ukraine Reports Intense Fighting Along Engagement Line RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- Intense exchanges of artillery fire resumed Sunday morning near the Donetsk airport in eastern Ukraine, with thundering blasts heard as far as the city center, a RIA Novosti correspondent said.
- OSCE Reports Convoys In East Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- The OSCE says it is 'very concerned' after its monitors witnessed columns of military equipment moving through territory in east Ukraine controlled by pro-Russia separatists.
- Lebanese army arrests Syrian militants' commander in Arsal Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- The Lebanese army has reportedly arrested a commander of the so-called Free Syrian Army (FSA) near Lebanon's border town of Arsal.
- Over 1,000 killed since ISIL launched Kobani attack: Report Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- More than 1,000 people have reportedly been killed in the Syrian Kurdish city of Kobani since ISIL Takfiri militants launched their offensive on the border city.
- Iraqi military troops reach Baiji city center Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi military forces have reportedly advanced to the center of Baiji as part of efforts to put an end to the ISIL Takfiris' siege of an oil refinery on the outskirts of the strategic northern city.
- IS Militants Extracting Oil From Kirkuk Fields, Iraq: Finance Ministry RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- The Islamic State (IS) militants have advanced further into the oil-bearing Kirkuk province in Iraq and seized several oilfields, the head of the Debt management office of the Iraqi Ministry of Finance, Mowafaq Taha Al-Hoori told RIA Novosti Sunday.
- China, neighbors vow to strengthen connectivity, deepen cooperation People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- China and its neighbors pledged on Saturday to enhance connectivity and deepen practical cooperation to seek Asia's common development.
- China, Japan agreement 'major step' in relations: Chinese FM People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- The four-point principled agreement reached Friday between China and Japan is 'a major step' toward the improvement of bilateral relations, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Saturday.
- Al-Qaeda-linked commander surrenders in Yemen Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- In Yemen, a commander of al-Qaeda-linked militants has turned himself in to members of the country's Shia Houthi movement's Ansarullah fighters.
- South Sudan rebels accuse government of breaching truce Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- South Sudan's rebels have accused the government in Juba of violating the recent ceasefire deal aimed at ending hostilities in the country.
- DR Congo: UN official applauds sentencing of militia leader for war crimes UN News Centre 09 Nov 2014 -- The head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) – also known by its French acronym MONUSCO – has welcomed the sentencing of a former commander of a militia group accused of war crimes as a step towards reinforcing the rule of law in the war-torn African nation.
- Germany Marks The Fall Of The Berlin Wall RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says the fall of the Berlin Wall a quarter of a century ago sends a message of hope to oppressed people around the world today.
- Germans Mark 25 Years Since Fall of Berlin Wall VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- Germans are celebrating the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- Chinese president proposes Asia-Pacific dream People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping called for efforts to create and fulfill an Asia-Pacific dream here Sunday, saying China's economy will bring huge opportunities and benefits to the region and the world.
- Obama in Beijing for Summit, State Visit VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has arrived in Beijing on what is expected to be a polite but difficult three-day visit as tensions simmer between the two Pacific powers.
- China's Xi Supports Democracy for Hong Kong "Within the Law" RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- Mainland China's leader Xi Jinping during a meeting with Hong Hong's Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying expressed support for the city's democratic aspirations "within the law", while the "Occupy Central" street protest enters its seventh week.
- Obama: 'Big Gap' In Iran Nuke Talks RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says there is a 'big gap' between Tehran and international negotiators over Iran's nuclear program and that a deal to end a decade-long standoff could be out of reach.
- Iran Nuclear Talks to Continue a Second Day VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- Talks between Iran, the United States and the European Union were extended for a second day as a deadline for a comprehensive nuclear agreement approaches.
- Araqchi: Leaders support for nuclear negotiating team very effective, promising IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- Senior member of Irans nuclear negotiating team Abbas Araqchi says the Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khameneis support for the negotiators has been very effective and promising.
- G5+1 should take a brave decision in talks with Iran: Official IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- G5+1 should take a brave political decision to resolve nuclear dispute with Iran, spokesman of Iran Atomic Energy Organization Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Sunday.
- Iran determined to resolve nuclear issue: FM IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- Iran is committed to resolving nuclear issue, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday.
- EUs new sanctions questionable move: Afkham IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham here on Sunday called the recent sanction imposed by the European Union on some Iranian institutions was an unusual measure and a questionable move.
- Iran nuclear capability irreversible, official IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- Senior Iranian nuclear negotiator Majid Takht-e Ravanchi said Irans nuclear capabilities can not be reversed.
- FM warns West not to raise fabricated redlines in nuclear talks IRNA 09 Nov 2014 -- Visiting Foreign Minister of Iran Mohammad Javad Zarif has warned Western parties at the nuclear talks not to invent redlines and instead try to find necessary political understanding for reaching a comprehensive nuclear deal with Iran.
- Iran resolute on final deal based on full nuclear rights: Zarif Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed the Islamic Republic's firm determination to reach a final agreement with the P5+1 group of world powers which will fully safeguard the country's nuclear rights.
- Iran rejects US think tank claim on nuclear activities Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has rejected claims by a US think tank that the Islamic Republic has violated the terms of the November 2013 interim nuclear agreement.
- 2 American detainees released by North Korea Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- North Korea has released the last two American nationals who were serving prison sentences in the Asian country a few weeks after the release of another American.
- Ebola: UN chief hails progress in fight against virus, urges intensified response UN News Centre 09 Nov 2014 -- The world is on the "right track" to defeating Ebola as the infection rate of the deadly virus shows some signs of slowing in West Africa's most affected areas, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon declared today as he urged the international community to remain constant in fighting the disease until it is completely extinguished.
- Azerbaijani Opposition Rallies Against Crackdown RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- Thousands of opposition supporters have protested against the Azerbaijani government, demanding the release of 'political prisoners' in the oil-producing nation and calling for an end to President Ilham Aliyev's 11-year rule.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|