04 November 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 04 Nov 2014 [PDF]
- DOD, Coalition Working Out Details for Syrian Opposition Training Program AFPS 04 Nov 2014 -- The Defense Department is progressing toward the establishment of a program to train and equip moderate Syrian opposition forces, the Pentagon press secretary said today.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 04 Nov 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Rear Adm. Kirby in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 04 Nov 2014 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Phone Call With the Norwegian Minister of Defense Ine Eriksen Søreide DoD 04 Nov 2014
- Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2 Hunt for Live Ordnance NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- When members of Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU) 2's Area Search Platoon (ASP) participated in a controlled exercise with Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 12, EOD technicians were able to execute their mission in a fraction of the time.
- Scheduling Demands Force Hagel to Postpone Asia Trip AFPS 04 Nov 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel remains committed to the rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region despite scheduling demands that forced him to postpone an upcoming trip to Vietnam and Burma, the Pentagon press secretary told reporters today.
- Greenert Discusses U.S. Maritime Strategy Shift AFPS 04 Nov 2014 -- The Chief of Naval Operations discussed the U.S. rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region during a presentation at the Brookings Institution here today.
- Navy Seabees Stand Up Forward Operating Base During Exercise Bold Alligator NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- Seabees from Explosive Ordnance Disposal Expeditionary Support Unit (EODESU) 2 showcased their unique brand of craftsmanship in an expeditionary capacity during Bold Alligator 2014 (BA14), a training exercise that runs through Nov. 10.
- Bold Alligator 14 'Weathers' the Storm NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) has headed south, but is still 'making waves.'
- George H.W. Bush Departs Marseille, France NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- Aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) departed Marseille, France, after completing a scheduled port visit, Nov. 4.
- Gettysburg Partners with SERMC to Increase Readiness NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- Sailors aboard guided-missile cruiser USS Gettysburg (CG 64) kicked off a partnership with Southeast Regional Maintenance Center (SERMC) Oct. 27.
- BA 14: US and Mexican Sailors Participate in MIO Exercise NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Navy and Mexican Sailors conducted a maritime interdiction operation (MIO) during exercise Bold Alligator 2014 (BA 14), an amphibious exercise consisting of 19 coalition partners performing crisis response operations, Oct. 31.
- Lincoln Leaves Drydock NNS 04 Nov 2014 -- Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) was returned to the water Nov. 3, nearly two years after entering the dry dock at Newport News Shipyard, Va.
- More US forces needed in Europe due to 'revanchist Russia': Gen. Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- The top US general in Europe has announced that American troops should remain in Europe and additional rotational forces are also needed as the region is threatened by "revanchist Russia."
- NATO Secretary General holds first meeting with EU High Representative NATO 04 Nov 2014 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with the new EU High Representative Federica Mogherini at the headquarters of the European External Action Service in Brussels today (Tuesday 4 November).
- France, Saudi Arabia Sign Agreement on Weapons Supply to Lebanon - French Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- France and Saudi Arabia have signed an agreement on the supply of weapons for the Lebanese Armed Forces, French Foreign Ministry said in an official statement Tuesday.
- MOD offers managed service provider contracts UK MOD 04 Nov 2014 -- The MOD has offered a set of managed service provider contracts to provide private-sector expertise to support the transformation of DE&S.
- Irans Navy fleet off to Aden Gulf IRNA 04 Nov 2014 -- The 32nd mission of the Islamic Republic of Irans Navy fleet set out on Tuesday by leaving Navy ducks in this port city to the Gulf of Aden.
- Iran Navy's 32nd fleet sets off for Gulf of Aden Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- The 32nd fleet of the Iranian Navy has left the country's southern port of Bandar Abbas for the Gulf of Aden to provide security for shipping lines in the region.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 11/4/2014 The White House 04 Nov 2014
- November 4, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Nov 2014
- 4 November 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Nov 2014
- 4 November 2014 - Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for November United Nations 04 Nov 2014
- Ban spotlights role of UN-OSCE partnership in addressing regional challenges UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- As civil conflicts, terrorism, illegal drug trafficking, a rise in divisive politics, and health crises such as Ebola continued to transcend borders and threaten millions of people worldwide, United Nations partnerships with regional organizations were ever more vital to deal with and adapt to such challenges, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today as he addressed the Permanent Council of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) in Vienna, Austria.
- Heavy Fighting Between Kurds, IS Continues in Kobani VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- Gunfire and explosions were audible from the Syrian-Turkish border region near Kobani on Tuesday, indicating little respite from intensive clashes between Kurdish forces, backed up by Syrian rebels, and Islamic State militants.
- HRW: Islamic State Group Tortured Children in Syria VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- A Human Rights Watch report says Kurdish children between the ages of 14 - 16 were tortured and abused while detained by the Islamic State militant group in Syria.
- US not responsible for Iraq gains against ISIL: Abadi Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi says the recent military gains against the ISIL Takfiri militants have been achieved by Iraqi forces and not through US airstrikes.
- Iraq: as cold weather hits displaced persons, UN steps up humanitarian appeal UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- As temperatures plummet across Iraq amid a steadily advancing cold season, humanitarian resources are urgently required in order to satisfy the needs of over 1 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) scattered across the country, a senior United Nations official in Iraq warned today.
- NATO, EU Press Russia on Ukraine VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- NATO has observed Russian troops moving closer to the Ukraine border. Speaking in a news conference with EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the alliance has seen the recent troop movements as Moscow continues to support separatists with equipment and special forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine Rebel Leader Sworn In After Disputed Election VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- A pro-Russian rebel leader was sworn in as the head of a self-declared 'people's republic' in eastern Ukraine on Tuesday, following elections rejected by Kyiv as illegitimate.
- Russia blocks UNSC draft statement on eastern Ukraine Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- Russia has blocked a UN Security Council draft statement that criticizes presidential and parliamentary elections held by pro-Russia forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Kyiv Authorities Slam Separatist Courts Handing Down Summary Death Sentences RFE/RL 04 Nov 2014 -- Officials in Ukraine say residents in the separatist east may be subject to criminal prosecution for participating in so-called 'people's tribunals' that have handed down at least one death sentence.
- Poroshenko, Security Chiefs To Review Peace Accord With Rebels RFE/RL 04 Nov 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is meeting with his security chiefs to reexamine the peace accord with pro-Russian separatists two days after they staged elections he has dismissed as a 'farce.'
- Ukraine's Poroshenko To Meet Security Chiefs RFE/RL 04 Nov 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko meets his security chiefs on November 4. They are due to discuss the government's commitments to a September 5 truce after controversial elections in the east by pro-Russian separatists.
- Ukraine's Foreign Ministry Sends Note of Protest Accusing Moscow of Aiding Donbas Forces RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- Ukraine's Foreign Ministry has submitted a note of protest to Russia's Foreign Ministry, accusing Moscow of providing military aid to independence supporters in the Donbas, the Ministry's spokesperson said Tuesday.
- DPR Welcomes Kiev's Plans to Abolish Law on Donbas Special Status, Reveal Real Intentions RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- The self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) welcomes the plans of Ukraine's authorities to abolish the law on the special status of Donbas, as this law was nothing more than a cover for Kiev's aggressive plans , Donetsk Deputy Prime Minister said Tuesday.
- Draft Law to Abolish Donbas Special Status Under Consideration: Ukrainian Parliament RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- A draft law proposed by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and aimed to abolish the Donbas Special Status has been submitted to the Ukrainian parliament, the Verkhovna Rada's official website stated Tuesday.
- Ukraine's Foreign Minister Says West Should Toughen Sanctions Against Russia RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- The West should toughen its sanctions against Russia over the Ukrainian crisis, Ukraine's Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said in an interview with the Bild newspaper on Tuesday.
- Ukrainian Security Forces Use Incendiary Weapons in Donetsk: DPR Commander RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- Ukrainian forces used incendiary weapons as fighting resumed Monday night near the Donetsk airport, deputy commander of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) militia Eduard Basurin told RIA Novosti Tuesday.
- Sixth Russian Humanitarian Aid Convoy Awaits Green Light to Go to East Ukraine RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- A new Russian convoy for eastern Ukraine is waiting for a go-ahead to carry humanitarian aid cargo to Luhansk and Donetsk, a deputy chief of the national crisis management center at the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations said on Tuesday.
- Sixth Russian Aid Convoy Ready to Set Out For East Ukraine: Emergency Ministry RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- The Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations has finished loading its sixth convoy of some 20 vehicles that will bring a new batch of humanitarian aid to the stricken east Ukraine regions, a deputy chief of the national crisis management center at the ministry said early Tuesday.
- Middle East: backed by UN-supported plan, Gaza reconstruction effort moves forward UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- The United Nations-backed mechanism designed to provide war-ravaged Gaza with reconstruction materials for urgent shelter repairs has commenced its operations, a senior UN official in the region has announced.
- After 65 years, plight of Palestine refugees must be fully addressed, UN agency chief says UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- Political action on the part of the international community is urgently required to tackle the fundamental issues that would determine the fate and plight of more than 5.1 million Palestinian refugees, the head of the United Nations relief agency tasked with their assistance said today.
- No easy solution for Myanmar's Rakhine crisis IRIN 04 Nov 2014 -- As the number of ethnic Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar hits record levels, the prospects for a lasting settlement of the crisis in Myanmar's Rakhine State look bleak.
- Kenya: UN agency voices alarm over refugee camp safety following deadly clashes UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- Following a spate of deadly violence at the Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) today voiced concern about the security situation in the overcrowded settlement, urging a return to calm for all the communities sheltered there.
- Boko Haram poised to take NE Nigerian states: Official Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- Boko Haram Takfiri militants will bring the northeastern states of Nigeria under their control if the government makes no serious efforts in countering them, an official warns.
- 25 Years Later, Is Germany's Reunification a Model for the Koreas? VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- On Nov. 9, 1989, when residents of East and West Berlin breached the wall that divided their city for three decades, it was an image seen around the globe.
- Burkina Faso: UN-African Union mission encouraged by commitment to restore order UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- Reiterating his great concern for the current crisis in Burkina Faso and its impact on national and regional stability, Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon said the joint United Nations and African diplomatic mission sent to the conflict-ridden country last week has returned to the capital city of Ouagadougou to continue its engagements with all parties, with the objective of reaching an agreement that restores constitutional order through democratic elections.
- Burkina Military Chief Vows to Hand Power to Civilians VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- Burkina Faso's Lieutenant-Colonel Isaac Zida, who took power after the resignation of the country's longtime president Blaise Compaore last week, promised on Tuesday to return the country to civilian rule, a traditional leader said.
- Bangladesh party urges strike over death sentence Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- A prominent religious party in Bangladesh has called on supporters to hold a nationwide strike against the death sentence handed down to its leader.
- Nationalists March In Moscow While Kremlin Celebrates 'Unity Day' RFE/RL 04 Nov 2014 -- Nationalists carried flags and chanted slogans at Russian March parades on November 4, while President Vladimir Putin and his supporters played up patriotism in celebrations of the National Unity Day holiday.
- PLA vice chairman calls for strict management of army People's Daily 04 Nov 2014 -- A high-ranking officer of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) voiced support to President Xi Jinping's instruction of building a strong military in accordance with the law.
- Ebola: UN envoy warns against letting guard down, 'even for a second' UN News Centre 04 Nov 2014 -- The UN envoy coordinating the global response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa said in the Liberian capital today that when national governments, partners and communities work together, "dramatic improvement" can be achieved, but cautioned against "even for a second [thinking] that everything is okay."
- Aid agencies adapt to Ebola challenge IRIN 04 Nov 2014 -- From using Bitcoins to fundraise, to adopting new strategies to prevent malaria victims appearing to be Ebola cases, to working with new partners - aid agencies in West Africa are learning to adapt fast.
- New Ebola Outbreak in Sierra Leone Aggravates Fears of Epidemic RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2014 -- A new Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, West Africa, may intensify the spread of the disease, aggravating fears of the epidemic's rise.
- Amid Stigma, Guinea's Ebola Survivors Pitch In at ETUs VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- Guinean authorities say they are planning to move the country's main Ebola treatment center to a larger site. The center has been overwhelmed by new cases in the past month. VOA toured the center and met with a woman recently cured of Ebola who explained her ordeal.
- Iran defense might non-negotiable: Iran's UN envoy Iran Press TV 04 Nov 2014 -- Iran's envoy to the UN says Tehran will continue to cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), but issues related to the country's defense programs are non-negotiable, Press TV reports.
- DPRK Says No to U.S. Dialogue on Human Rights, Nuclear Dialogue Aimed to Bring down It KCNA 04 Nov 2014 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry Tuesday gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA blasting the U.S. for politicizing its accusation against the DPRK over its human rights issue:
- EU To Provide Armenia With Fresh Aid RFE/RL 04 Nov 2014 -- The European Union has pledged to provide between 140 million and 170 million euros to Armenia for private-sector, public administration, and justice reforms over the next three years.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|