25 August 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Aug 2014 [PDF]
- US: Military Force Not Only Tool to Confront Islamic State VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has not yet made a decision to pursue military options in Syria against Islamic State extremists.
- Dempsey says no strikes on ISIL in Syria yet Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- General Martin Dempsey says he would not recommend US airstrikes against the ISIL terrorist group within Syria after raising the specter of such military action.
- Pentagon Plans For Quick Afghan Exit If Election Dispute Continues RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- The U.S. military's top officer says the Pentagon has plans that would allow U.S. forces to stay in Afghanistan for a short time beyond 2014 if Afghanistan’s contested presidential election stalemate continues and prevents the signing of a security agreement.
- Afghan Election Crisis Reaches New, Critical Stage VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Afghanistan's election crisis entered a risky new stage Monday as officials began invalidating fraudulent votes in a process likely to bring to a head the dispute raging between presidential candidates Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah.
- Future of Afghanistan’s political transition ‘hangs in balance’ of vote recount – UN UN News Centre 25 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations has welcomed today’s announcement by the country’s electoral authorities of the first official decisions on the findings from the 100 per cent audit of the June 14 Presidential run-off election.
- Afghan Election Officials Begin To 'Invalidate' Fraudulent Votes RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission (IEC) has begun invalidating fraudulent votes cast in the June 14 presidential runoff.
- End of an era: AF EOD mission wraps up in Afghanistan AFNS 25 Aug 2014 -- There have been 20 rotations of more than 600 explosive ordnance disposal technicians who have left their mark in the history of Operation Enduring Freedom since the 2004 inception of the 466th EOD Operating Location Bravo Flight here.
- Pakistani militants attack NATO fuel tankers Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Militants in northwest Pakistan have attacked a convoy of NATO tankers carrying fuel for US-led forces in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Advanced Hypersonic Weapon Test Conducted DoD 25 Aug 2014
- Reconnaissance damages trust People's Daily 25 Aug 2014 -- Again it was a near thing according to the narrative of the US military: a Chinese jet fighter made "dangerous" passes at a US navy plane.
- DPRK Has Also Right to Make Preemptive Strike: Minju Joson KCNA 25 Aug 2014 -- The U.S. and south Korean warmongers are staging madcap north-targeted joint military exercises Ulji Freedom Guardian across south Korea with huge armed forces and civilians involved.
- Ellsworth and Minot aircrews participate in inaugural aerial exercise AFNS 25 Aug 2014 -- Aircrews from the 23rd Bomb Squadron, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota and the 34th Bomb Squadron participated in the inaugural integrated standoff weapons exercise.
- America Visits Valparaiso on Maiden Transit NNS 25 Aug 2014 -- The future amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) arrived to Valparaiso, Chile for a scheduled port visit, Aug. 24.
- USNS Henson Supports 7th Fleet in Warfighting Readiness NNS 25 Aug 2014 -- Military Sealift Command oceanographic survey ship USNS Henson (T-AGS 63) collects and analyzes oceanographic data that is used to support U.S. Navy warfighters.
- Joint Statement by the Ministry of National Defense of Chile and the United States Department of the Navy NNS 25 Aug 2014 -- Joint Statement by the Ministry of National Defense of Chile and the United States Department of the Navy on the Research, Development and Use of Alternative Fuels
- Hurricane Hunters fly into 'Cristobal' AFNS 25 Aug 2014 -- Aircrews with the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron have been flying data-gathering missions into Tropical Storm Cristobal out of the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, since Aug. 21.
- All Clear Issued in 'Active Shooter' Alert at US Army Base VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- The all clear has been give at an army base in the southern U.S. state of Virginia after reports of an "active shooter."
- Russian Troops Hit Targets With Precision Missiles During Peace Mission-2014 in China RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Artillery units from Russia’s Eastern Military District have held their first live-fire training drills with the use of Krasnopol laser-guided projectiles during the Peace Mission 2014 exercise in China.
- Indian Troops Arrive in Russia for Air Force Drills RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Indian troops have arrived in Russia’s Lipetsk to take part in the joint Air Force exercise Aviaindra 2014, held August 25 to September 5.
- Russia Prepares to Launch Third Varshavyanka-Class Submarine RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Another Varshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarine, built for the Crimea-based Black Sea Fleet, will be launched on Thursday.
- Russian Eastern Military District Troops Pass Unannounced Inspection RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- The unannounced inspection of the combat readiness of Russia’s Eastern Military District was successful.
- Russian Western Military District Troops Learning to Destroy Enemy Drones RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Man-portable air-defense systems radar units in Russia’s Western Military District have started practicing on low-flying targets at the Kapustin Yar testing range.
- Russia Not Planning to Participate in Wales NATO Summit – Permanent Mission RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Russia has no plans to participate in any activities during the NATO summit in Wales.
- Economic Benefits of Faslane Nuclear Base in Scotland “Overplayed” - Official RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Claims that Scottish independence and the subsequent removal of Trident would lead to “economic devastation” for the local community have been “overplayed,” an elected official told RIA Novosti.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 8/25/2014 The White House 25 Aug 2014
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, 25 August 2014 US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2014
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 25 August 2014 United Nations 25 Aug 2014
- Wave Of Bombings Hits Baghdad, Southern Iraq RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- A wave of bombings has struck Baghdad and southern Iraq, killing at least 43 people amid heightened sectarian tensions.
- Terrorist attacks kill 43 across Iraq Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- A wave of attacks targeting several Iraqi cities including the capital Baghdad has left a total of 43 people dead.
- Iraqi civilians suffering ‘horrific’ persecution, ethnic cleansing – UN rights chief UN News Centre 25 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations human rights chief today condemned the appalling and horrific crimes against humanity being committed daily in Iraq by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and associated armed groups.
- Syria Urges International Help in Fighting Islamic State VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem is urging the international community to cooperate with his government and demanding that neighboring states stop their alleged support for the jihadist group.
- Syria warns US against unilateral airstrikes on ISIL Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem has warned the United States against carrying out airstrikes on the Takfiri ISIL terrorists inside Syria without Damascus’ consent.
- Germany Not Planning to Supply Syria With Arms to Fight Islamists – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Germany has no plans to supply arms to fight Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, a spokesman for the German Foreign Ministry, Martin Schaefer said.
- Over 500 killed in Syria air base fighting Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Some 350 ISIL militants and more than 170 Syrian army soldiers have been killed after Takfiri militants seized an air base in northeast Syria following days of fierce clashes.
- IS Joins List of Militant Groups With Reported Drone Capabilities RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic State (IS) militant group appears to have drone capabilities as is evidenced by a recent IS propaganda video containing surveillance footage of a Syrian military base.
- US Journalist's Release Reveals Divisions Among Al-Qaida Offshoots VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- The release of American freelance journalist Peter Theo Curtis reveals growing divisions between the different offshoots of the terrorist al-Qaida group fighting for power in Syria, analysts say.
- NATO Plots Defense Against Russia VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- The 28 NATO members are preparing for their summit meeting in Wales in early September. The main topic of discussion: the notion of collective defense in light of Russia’s recent actions against Ukraine.
- DoD: Russian Movements Further Increasing Tensions AFPS 25 Aug 2014 -- Despite Russian claims of de-escalating tensions with Ukraine, their actions, including movement of heavy equipment across the border continues to increase tension.
- Kyiv Confronts 'Russian' Armor As Moscow Announces New Aid Convoy RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- Ukraine says border guards have attacked a column of armored vehicles it says entered its territory from Russia, as Moscow announced its intention to send a second aid convoy into the country.
- Ukraine Says Russian Convoy Has Entered Southeast VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has dissolved parliament and called for early elections, one month after his ruling coalition government collapsed.
- Ukraine troops, pro-Russians clash near border Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Fresh clashes have broken out between Ukrainian army troops and pro-Russia fighters escorting a convoy of vehicles near the border with Russia, Ukraine's military says.
- Russia plans fresh aid convoy to east Ukraine Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Russia intends to send a second humanitarian aid convoy to eastern Ukraine in the near future, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says.
- Ballistic Missile Falls on Donetsk for First Time RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- A Tochka-U ballistic missile landed on the outskirts of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine for the first time since the conflict broke out.
- US, Norway to Inspect Russia's Air Space RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- A group of US and Norwegian aviation inspectors plan to fly over Russia's and Belarus' territory this week under The Treaty on Open Skies.
- Israeli Missiles Strike Gaza Apartment and Office Tower VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Israeli missiles hit one of the tallest buildings in Gaza early Tuesday, wounding at least 20 Palestinians.
- Gaza Fighting Rages but Egypt Pushing New Cease-fire VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Fighting raged in Gaza again Monday, even as Egypt pressured Israel and the Palestinians to agree to a new cease-fire that could last at least a month.
- Israeli drone captured in Gaza: Hamas Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- The Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas, has seized an Israeli reconnaissance drone in Gaza Strip’s Shejaiya district.
- UN Rights Council appoints final member on panel to investigate purported Gaza violations UN News Centre 25 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations Human Rights Council announced today the appointment of the last of three members of its probe to investigate purported violations of international humanitarian and human rights laws in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and particularly in the Gaza Strip since the conflict began on 13 June.
- Nigeria Military Launches ‘Operation’ Against Boko Haram VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Nigeria’s military spokesman says the national army launched an “operation” against the violent Islamist militant group Boko Haram in Gwoza, a town in the country’s northwest the militants claimed they captured.
- Islamic State Declaration Spreads to Nigeria VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Boko Haram’s declaration of a caliphate and an Islamic state in Nigeria yesterday mirrors the declaration made three months ago by the leader of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2014
- Libyan Turmoil: 2 Assemblies, 2 Premiers VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Libya's political and military conflict heated up Monday after the Islamist coalition which controls the capital, Tripoli, appointed a new prime minister and declared the newly-elected parliament null and void.
- Moscow Blames Political Chaos in Libya on Forceful Democratization by US, NATO RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- The United States and its NATO allies caused the current political chaos in Libya by their attempts “to forcefully democratize the country.”
- South Sudan rivals sign ceasefire agreement Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Rival leaders in South Sudan's conflict have signed a ceasefire deal, pledging to put an end to the civil war, which has plagued the world’s youngest nation for more than 8 months.
- South Sudan: UN mission condemns detention of ceasefire monitors in Unity state UN News Centre 25 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has condemned the detention of a team of six ceasefire monitors and three aircrew in Bouth, Unity state.
- South Sudan Ceasefire Monitor Dies VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) said Monday that one of its ceasefire monitors has died in Bentiu after being detained by opposition forces.
- Iran releases pictures of downed Israeli ‘Hermes’ drone Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- The Israeli spy drone shot down by Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is an Israeli-made Hermes drone, says an Iranian commander.
- Some in East colluding with West in Iran nuclear sabotage: AEOI Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran says some Eastern governments have been in league with the West in its acts of sabotage against Iran’s nuclear industry.
- Vietnam to Send Envoy to China to Smooth Tensions VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Vietnam is sending a special envoy to China to try to rebuild relations badly strained by conflict over Beijing's decision to deploy an oil rig in waters also claimed by Hanoi.
- Pakistani Cleric 'Ready To Die' If Prime Minister Doesn't Resign RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- A Pakistani cleric who is leading an antigovernment protest in Islamabad says he is prepared to die if Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif does not resign within 48 hours.
- Turkey's Erdogan, Gul Face Political Showdown VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Outgoing Turkish president Abdullah Gul has made it clear that he intends to stay in politics.
- Thailand Army Chief Now Prime Minister VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- The army general who led the May 22 coup in Thailand officially assumed the post as the kingdom’s prime minister Monday.
- Thai king endorses junta leader as new prime minister Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Thailand’s king has officially endorsed junta leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha, who seized power in a military coup three months ago, as the country’s 29th prime minister.
- UN adviser calls for taking ‘leap of faith’ to ensure peaceful, unified Myanmar UN News Centre 25 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations Special Adviser for Myanmar today wrapped up a visit to the country during which he visited Rakhine state to see first-hand the progress made to provide aid to local communities, as well as actions being taken to address underlying causes of recent violence.
- French Prime Minister Dissolves Government RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- French Prime Minister Manuel Valls told President Francois Hollande that the government has been dissolved, Agence France-Presse reported Monday.
- Effectiveness of Fukushima Ice Wall Unclear to Experts RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- The effectiveness of Tokyo Electric Power Company’s (TEPCO) plan to create an “ice wall” to contain the waste water used to cool the failed reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is so far unclear to experts.
- Mozambique Government, Former Rebels Sign Peace Pact VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Mozambique's government and the former rebel Renamo movement have signed an accord to end two years of low-level fighting.
- Khajimba Wins Abkhazia's Presidential Election RFE/RL 25 Aug 2014 -- Raul Khajimba has won Abkhazia's presidential election in the first round.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|