22 July 2014 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Parliamentary System A Risky Solution For Afghanistan RFE/RL 22 Jul 2014 -- For years, Hamid Karzai has wielded tremendous power as the president of Afghanistan -- all while heading off discontent by doling out government positions to prominent members of long-warring ethnic groups and factions.
- 38 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Afghan forces have killed at least 38 Taliban militants during operations in different parts of Afghanistan during the past 24 hours.
- Guardsmen Help to Battle Northwest Blazes AFPS 22 Jul 2014 -- Aircrews from the Wyoming Air National Guard's 153rd Airlift Wing, who fly C-130 Hercules aircraft equipped with the Modular Airborne Firefighting System, are among the latest National Guard members to join in the response to wildfires in Oregon and Washington state.
Defense Policy / Programs
- America Marines Help Combat Colombia IED Threat NNS 22 Jul 2014 -- Sailors and Marines assigned to the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force (SPMAGTF) South debarked the future USS America (LHA 6) to begin a three-day bilateral exercise with Colombian Marines, at the International Center for Amphibious Training located in Covenas, Colombia July 16.
- Multinational Exercise to Test Special Operations Forces AFPS 22 Jul 2014 -- Security forces from 21 countries will participate in Fuerzas Comando 2014 in Colombia tomorrow through Aug. 1, Defense Department officials announced today.
- Roosevelt Completes Replenishment-at-Sea NNS 22 Jul 2014 -- Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG 80), successfully completed a replenishment-at-sea (RAS) with the Military Sealift Command USNS Richard E. Byrd (T-AKE 4) the afternoon of July 20.
- Royal New Zealand Navy Midshipman Experiences Carrier Operations Aboard USS George Washington NNS 22 Jul 2014 -- The U.S. Navy's forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) hosted a Royal New Zealand navy Midshipman, July 19-20.
- US, ROK Build Relationships to Increase Allied Interoperability NNS 22 Jul 2014 -- The Arleigh-Burke class guided-missile destroyer USS Kidd (DDG 100), in cooperation with members of the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, participated in a bilateral exercise with the Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy, July 15-19.
- USS Gary Demonstrates Capabilities during RIMPAC 2014 NNS 22 Jul 2014 -- Working alongside multinational naval forces during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) Exercise 2014, the Oliver Hazard Perry-Class guided-missile frigate USS Gary (FFG 51) demonstrated her proficiency in gunnery, maritime interdiction operations, helicopter operations, small boat operations, navigation, communication, and ship handling.
- GSSAP and ANGELS contribute to space neighborhood watch AFNS 22 Jul 2014 -- The Air Force plans to launch two operational satellites and one experimental satellite into near-geosynchronous Earth orbit July 23.
- Light Dragoons deploy to Bosnia ahead of autumn elections UK MOD 22 Jul 2014 -- Nearly 100 UK soldiers have travelled to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) to help maintain stability ahead of the October elections.
- Russia to Respond Adequately to NATO Expansion - Putin RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Moscow will respond adequately and equitably if NATO continues its military presence expansion closer to the Russian borders, President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday.
- Russia Must Boost Defense Timely as NATO Stepping Up Military Presence - Putin RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Russia must complete boosting its defense capabilities timely and in full amid the increased NATO military presence near Russian borders, President Vladimir Putin Tuesday.
- France Must Adhere to Mistral Contract Instead of Blackmailing Moscow - Russian Lawmaker RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Paris has to comply with its obligations under the Mistral helicopter carrier contract, signed with Russia, instead of blackmailing Moscow with sanctions and actions for nondelivery, Adm. Vladimir Komoedov, chairman of the defense committee of the State Duma, Russia's lower house of parliament, said on Tuesday.
- Chinese pilots in Russia for air force competition People's Daily 22 Jul 2014 -- Pilots from China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force have arrived in Russia for the Aviadarts-2014 air force competition.
- Over 200 Tajik troops to participate in SCO military exercises People's Daily 22 Jul 2014 -- More than 200 Tajik troops will participate in a joint anti-terrorism drill with the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in China next month, the Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
- July 22, 2014 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2014
- Daily Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 07/22/14 The White House 22 Jul 2014
- 22 July 2014 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Jul 2014
- Conflicts Increase Emergency Food Airlifts VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- The World Food Program reports increasing conflicts in the first half of this year have created a huge surge in emergency airlifts and airdrops of food to people caught in hard-to-reach areas. The air service run by WFP says it has had to deliver 50 times more food by air this year compared to the same period last year to tackle multiple global emergencies.
- On visit to Israel and West Bank, Ban calls for end to current fighting, return to dialogue UN News Centre 22 Jul 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on Israelis and Palestinians to stop the fighting that has been raging for the past two weeks and return to dialogue with the aim of addressing the underlying causes of the cycles of violence that continue to plague them.
- Israel/Gaza – how does it end? IRIN 22 Jul 2014 -- The latest round of violence between Israel and Hamas militants in Gaza is now two weeks old, with nearly 600 Palestinians and 29 Israelis – all but two of them active duty soldiers - dead. A ceasefire deal proposed by Egypt last week collapsed after Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, said they had not been consulted. Since then, Israel has rapidly expanded its operations, with a ground invasion leading to over 100,000 people fleeing their homes.
- More rockets continue to penetrate Israel's Iron Dome Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- The Israeli regime's US-funded missile system has once again proved quite permeable as more Palestinian rockets penetrate the Israeli skies without being intercepted by the so-called Iron Dome.
- Death toll from Israeli attacks on Gaza hits 624 Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- The death toll from the Israeli regime's military strikes against Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip has exceeded 600.
- Israel cities hit by Palestinian retaliatory rockets Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Palestinian resistance fighters have rained retaliatory rockets onto several areas in Israel, including Tel Aviv, as the regime intensifies its fatal assaults on the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Missing soldier presumed dead: Israel Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- The Israeli army says one of its soldiers has been lost in combat with Hamas forces in the blockaded Gaza Strip and is presumed dead.
- Israel warplanes hit over 70 sites in Gaza Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Israeli warplanes pounded tens of sites inside the Gaza Strip overnight as Tel Aviv keeps up its onslaught against the Palestinians in the besieged coastal enclave.
- Two Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Two more Israeli soldiers have been killed in combat in the Gaza Strip, raising the number of the troops killed in the 15-day Israeli offensive against the blockaded Palestinian sliver to 27.
- As US, UN Pursue Gaza Cease-fire, Fighting Rages VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- Diplomatic efforts to mediate a cease-fire in Gaza intensified Tuesday, as Israeli warplanes continued to bombard Hamas targets, militants responded with more rockets, and Israeli military officials confirmed the identity of a missing soldier presumed dead.
- Kerry: 'Hamas Has a Fundamental Choice' VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- With Israel pressing its military offensive in the Gaza Strip, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the humanitarian crisis in Gaza is growing worse by the day, but it is up to Hamas to stop that suffering by agreeing to an Egyptian-led cease-fire.
- Ukraine: MH17 Crash Victims' Remains Being Processed VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- The head of Ukraine's investigation into last week's downing of Malaysia Airlines flight 17 says the bodies of at least 282 of the 298 victims are being processed in the government-controlled city of Kharkiv. After security screenings, they are to be flown to Amsterdam
- Kremlin Official Calls Ukraine Authorities 'West's Henchmen' VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- A Kremlin official has accused Ukrainian authorities in Kyiv of being "henchmen," acting on orders from the West.
- Russian Involvement Undeniable in MH17 Tragedy MDAA 22 Jul 2014 -- Based on analysis of the available evidence and on typical operating procedures of air defense systems such as the Russian SA-11 Buk, MDAA Chairman Riki Ellison concluded that Russian complicity in the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 is highly likely.
- Russia urges probes of EU mercenaries in Ukraine Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry has demanded a number of European countries to conduct a thorough investigation into alleged participation by their citizens as mercenary fighters in eastern Ukraine.
- OSCE Publishes Spot Report on Monitoring Mission's Visit to Malaysian Boeing Crash Site RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- OSCE has published a report on the visit of its Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) and the Dutch experts to the site of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash.
- Russia Urges End to Military Action in MH17 Crash Area RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday it believed that an end to military hostilities around the crash site of the Malaysian airliner in eastern Ukraine would prevent such tragedies from happening in the future.
- Ukraine Ruled By Western 'Puppets' - Russian Security Council RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine is ruled by the leaders, who lack the ability to act independently and simply follow orders from the West, Secretary of the Russian Security Council Nikolai Patrushev said on Tuesday.
- Self-Defense Forces Stop Kiev Army Attack on Donetsk - Militia RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) militia have secured the Donetsk Airport and stopped Ukrainian Army's attack on the city, representatives of the self-proclaimed state said Tuesday.
- West Should Demand Both Sides to Obey Ceasefire - Putin RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Monday that the West should address its calls for a ceasefire not only to eastern Ukraine independence supporters, but to the Kiev government as well.
- OSCE Extends Mandate of Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine by 6 Months RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) extended Tuesday the mandate of its Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine by six months, the organization said.
- Kiev Unaware of Ukrainian Air Force Striking City in Ceasefire Zone RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council neither confirms, nor denies the reports of a Ukrainian Air Force jet striking a city located in eastern Ukraine's ceasefire zone.
- Ukrainian Parliament Approves Decree on Limited Mobilization RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine's parliament approved a presidential decree on limited mobilization at a parliamentary session of 232 lawmakers, meeting the required minimum of 226 votes.
- Ukrainian Air Force Strikes City Located in Ceasefire Zone Surrounding Plane Crash Site RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- A Ukrainian Sukhoi fighter jet delivered a rocket near the city of Shakhtarsk, located within the 40-kilometer ceasefire zone around the site of the downed Malaysia Airlines passenger jet, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Tuesday.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Praises UN Security Council Resolution on MH17 Crash RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has given a high assessment to the UN Security Council's resolution on the Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine and believes the call for all warring sides to halt military activity an important point in the resolution.
- Russia's UN Envoy Says Ukraine Spreading Fabricated Fakes RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Russia's envoy to the United Nations has accused the Kiev regime of spreading falsified evidence related to the crash of a Malaysian passenger plane in the country's east.
- Kiev Says Needs Almost $780 Mln to Continue Special Operation RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Ukraine's Finance Ministry has asked the parliament to earmark 9.1 billion hryvnia ($780 million) to finance the special operation against independence supporters in the country's east, the ministry's press service said.
- US Dismisses Russia's 'Proof' on Kiev's Role in Boeing Crash RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- The US Department of State has dismissed Russia's sensational claims suggesting that a Ukrainian fighter plane or missile systems could have been involved in the July 17 crash of a Malaysian passenger plane in eastern Ukraine.
- Moscow Warns UN Against Hasty Conclusions on Boeing Crash in Ukraine - Churkin RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Russia has called on the UN Security Council to abstain from making hasty conclusions until the investigation into the crash of a Malaysian passenger plane in eastern Ukraine ends, the country's envoy to the UN said.
- ISIS Militants Persecuting Christians in North-West Iraq – Russian Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Moscow is concerned over persecutions of Christians living in the north-west of Iraq by the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), Russia's Foreign Ministry said in a statement Tuesday.
- Security Council denounces persecution of minorities in northern Iraq UN News Centre 22 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations Security Council has denounced the persecution of Christians and other minority groups in northern Iraq, which used to be home to minority communities that had lived together for hundreds of years before coming under direct attack by the group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and its allies.
- Clashes in Libya's Benghazi kill 16, injure 81 Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2014 -- Clashes between Libyan army troops and anti-government militia groups in the eastern city of Benghazi have left 16 people dead and 81 injured.
- UN agency renews call on donors to support Central African Republic refugees UN News Centre 22 Jul 2014 -- The United Nations refugee agency today called on donors to increase funding for programmes in neighbouring countries hosting refugees from the Central African Republic (CAR).
- US Terrorism Prosecutions Rife With Abuse - Report RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Human rights abuses have been documented at every stage of federal terrorism investigations in the United States, Andrea Prasow, deputy Washington director at Human Rights Watch and one of the authors of a report on human rights abuse in terrorism prosecutions, told RIA Novosti Tuesday.
- Al-Qaida Wing Announces Plans for Islamic Emirate in Yemen VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- Yemen's al-Qaida wing is declaring plans to establish an Islamic emirate in the remote eastern Hadramout province.
- Russia to Solve Problems Through Dialogue Despite Sanctions, Ultimatums - Putin RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Moscow hears the language of sanctions and ultimatums more and more often, however Russia strongly believes that the problems should be solved through dialogue, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.
- Putin Warns Against Attempts to Destabilize Russia From Within RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that attempts were underway to make the country collapse from within, adding this wouldn't work with Russians.
- EU Toughens Russia Sanctions Over Airliner Downing VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- The European Union moved Tuesday to toughen and widen sanctions against Russia amid anger over the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane in rebel-held eastern Ukraine.
- Widodo Wins Indonesia Presidential Election, Rival Alleges Fraud VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- After a drawn-out election process and dual claims to the presidency, Indonesia has officially announced Joko Widodo, widely known as Jokowi, as the country's next president.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|