21 June 2014 Military News
- 100s of Afghans protest alleged presidential vote fraud Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Supporters of Afghanistan presidential candidate, Abdullah Abdullah, have staged street protests over alleged vote fraud in the country's runoff presidential election a week ago.
- UN mission strongly condemns attack on head of Afghan peace council UN News Centre 21 Jun 2014 -- The United Nations mission in Afghanistan strongly condemned today's targeted attack on Masoom Stanekzai, a government minister and the Head of the Secretariat of the country's High Peace Council.
- Over 300,000 flee Pakistan's tribal areas: Official Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- The number of people who have escaped Pakistan's tribal areas bordering Afghanistan has increased to more than 300,000 amid an army operation against pro-Taliban militants in the region, a government official says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Future USS Tripoli (LHA 7) Keel Authenticated NNS 21 Jun 2014 -- The keel laying and authentication ceremony for the amphibious assault ship, the future USS Tripoli (LHA 7) was held at the Huntington Ingalls Industries Pascagoula shipyard June 20.
- HSC-23 Embarks on Landmark Deployment in 4th Fleet Area of Responsibility NNS 21 Jun 2014 -- For the 'Wildcards' of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) TWO THREE, Detachment 3, currently stationed on board the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate USS McClusky (FFG 41), their departure on April 10 was to be one for the history books.
- Hundreds of US drones crashed since 2001 causing millions of dollars of damage VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- More than 400 large American drones have crashed since 2001, each accident causing from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in damage, according to the findings of new research by the Washington Post after examining more than 50,000 pages of federal and military records.
- President Putin orders Russian forces on 'full combat alert' Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered military forces in central Russia on "full combat alert" for snap drill, Russia's defense minister says.
- 30 new warships to be delivered to Russia's Black Sea Fleet in next 6 years VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- Russia's Black Sea Fleet will get about 30 new warships in the next six years, Navy Commander-in-Chief Viktor Chirkov said on Saturday, June 21. 'The Black Sea Fleet will receive six Project 636 submarines by 2016 and the first of the six Project 1135.6 escort ships in 2015. The Fleet will also get six Project 22160 patrol boats for patrolling territorial waters and the 200-mile exclusive economic zone, escorting ships at sea and protecting naval bases and water areas to warn about enemy attacks,' he said.
- Background Briefing En Route to Cairo, Egypt US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2014
- Shi'ites Gird for Battle as ISIL Rebels Make Gains VOA 21 Jun 2014 -- Sunni fighters have seized an Iraqi town that borders Syria, allowing the militants to pass freely along with their weapons between the two countries, security officials said Saturday.
- Thousands of Iraqis parade in Baghdad showing readiness to fight Sunni militants VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- Hundreds of thousands of Shiites paraded in Baghdad and several other Shiites cities in Iraq on Saturday, in a show of force to display their readiness to fight Sunni extremists who have taken control of key areas in northern and western Iraq.
- ISIL militants seize Iraqi-Syrian border point VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- Sunni militants led by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant took control of an Iraq-Syria border crossing after Syrian rebels withdrew overnight, security officers and witnesses said. The sources said insurgents took control of the Al-Qaim border crossing, one of three official border points between Iraq and Syria, after gunmen linked to the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and Al-Qaeda-affiliated Al-Nusra Front left.
- Zarif: ISIL poses serious threat to entire world IRNA 21 Jun 2014 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned that terrorists of the Takfiri Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) pose a threat to the entirety of the world.
- Takfiri ISIL militants threaten to attack Kurds Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Militants from the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have threatened to launch an attack on Kurds in Syria.
- ISIL poses threat to whole world: Iran FM Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Iran's foreign minister has warned that terrorists of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) pose a threat to the whole world.
- Parade held in Baghdad in support of Iraqi army Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Thousands of supporters of the Iraqi Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr have paraded in Baghdad in solidarity with the army which is engaged in heavy fighting against Takfiri militants.
- Separatists Reject Ukraine Cease-Fire VOA 21 Jun 2014 -- Pro-Russian separatists rejected a unilateral cease-fire declared by Ukraine's newly inaugurated president, casting doubt on the new effort to end the conflict in the country's east that has killed hundreds.
- Fighting continues in eastern Ukraine despite ceasefire - DPR leadership VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- The fighting continues in eastern Ukraine despite the temporary ceasefire declared by Ukrainian president Petr Poroshenko, the prime minister of the unilaterally proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic said on Saturday.
- Ukrainian army to retaliate if federalization supporters break ceasefire - Poroshenko VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petr Poroshenko on Saturday threatened retaliation if the anti-government militia groups in eastern Ukraine breach the terms of the week-long unilateral ceasefire that he declared on Friday as part of his peace plan. Poroshenko issued the warning during a visit to Ukraine's chief military hospital in Kiev, where servicemen wounded in battle in the east of the country are being treated, the president's office said in a statement.
- Ukrainian army shell military unit near Donetsk, destroy radar stations VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- Radar stations were destroyed as a result of shelling of an air defence unit, located in Avdeevka, near Donetsk, the Donetsk Vesti newspaper reports with reference to a source in the military unit. According to the newspaper, Saturday morning, at 5 a.m. local time (2 am GMT), militiamen attacked the air defense unit located in Avdeevka.
- Ukraine forces step up attacks in east: Lavrov Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says Moscow is concerned about Ukrainian forces' intensified military operations in the country's eastern regions.
- Egyptian Court Upholds Mass Death Sentences VOA 21 Jun 2014 -- An Egyptian court confirmed death sentences for 183 people Saturday, in a case involving rioting last August in the town of Minya, south of Cairo. Convictions against 496 others were thrown out, while four were given life sentences. Lawyers for those condemned to death say that they will appeal.
- Second wave of Ebola virus outbreak registered in West Africa VoR 21 Jun 2014 -- West Africa is experiencing the second wave of Ebola outbreak. According to the data of the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 330 people died in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia since the disease sprang up in Africa at the beginning of this year.
- Prolonged Drought in DPRK KCNA 21 Jun 2014 -- A spell of dry weather continues in the DPRK. There have been sporadic rainfalls in most areas of the county from 00:00 Tuesday to 10:00 Saturday, which were not enough to overcome the damage from drought.
- Final nuclear deal achievable if P5+1 shows goodwill: Official Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says a final deal on Tehran's nuclear energy program is achievable if the six countries of P5+1 group show "goodwill" and political determination.
- IAEA confirms Iran's commitment to interim nuclear deal Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has issued a new report, confirming Iran's commitment to an interim nuclear deal it signed with six world powers last year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|