14 June 2014 Military News
- Afghan forces foil 473 terror bid on election day Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- Afghanistan's national security forces have reportedly foiled at least 473 major terrorist attack plots during the nation's presidential election day.
- Afghans Vote In Presidential Runoff RFE/RL 14 Jun 2014 -- Polls have closed in Afghanistan and the tallying has begun in the second round of a presidential vote to pick a successor to Hamid Karzai.
- Senior UN officials congratulate Afghans on presidential election run-off UN News Centre 14 Jun 2014 -- Today's second round of the presidential election in Afghanistan is a "major achievement in the country's historic democratic transition", the top United Nations official in the country said, congratulating the voters and the national security forces who kept them safe.
- Afghans Tally Votes in Landmark Run-off VOA 14 Jun 2014 -- Saturday was the second time in just over two months that millions of Afghans defied constant Taliban threats and headed to the polls to cast a vote in run-off between the two former government ministers, Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani.
- ISAF Congratulates Afghan People, Forces for Historic Election AFPS 14 Jun 2014 -- Millions of Afghan men and women went to the polls to choose their new president today, and officials of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force congratulated them in a statement released from the command's headquarters in the Afghan capital of Kabul.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby on the Afghan Elections DoD 14 Jun 2014
- NATO Secretary General congratulates Afghan people on elections NATO 14 Jun 2014 -- Today is another historic day for Afghanistan. I congratulate the millions of Afghans from across the country who cast their votes in the final round of presidential elections.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hagel Orders Carrier USS George H.W. Bush Into Persian Gulf AFPS 14 Jun 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush to move today from the North Arabian Sea into the Arabian Gulf, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said.
- Chinese navy fleet ends visit to Namibia People's Daily 14 Jun 2014 -- A Chinese navy fleet concluded its three-day visit to Namibia Friday afternoon, leaving the Port of Walvis Bay for South Africa's Cape Town, the final stop of its African tour.
- US Orders USS George H.W. Bush to Gulf VOA 14 Jun 2014 -- The United States has ordered an aircraft carrier into the Gulf in response to the crisis in Iraq.
- President says Iraqi nation capable of defending itself IRNA 14 Jun 2014 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that Iraqi nation is capable of defending itself.
- Iraq armed forces regain control of several towns Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- Iraq's army has regained control over a number of towns in Salahuddin and Diyala provinces that Takfiri militants had overrun a few days ago.
- Iraq set to launch offensive against ISIL terrorists Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi forces prepare to carry out a counter-offensive against the terrorist group, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), in north of the capital, Baghdad.
- Iraq's Maliki Vows to Defeat Militants VOA 14 Jun 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki vowed again Saturday to defeat Sunni militants who have captured large chunks of territory north and west of the capital, Baghdad.
- Convoy attack kills 8 guards in Iraq - senior Shiite cleric VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Gunmen attacked the convoy of the deputy head of Iraq's Shiite religious endowment on Saturday, killing eight of his guards, the senior cleric said. Sheikh Sami al-Massudi said his convoy was ambushed near Ishaqi, a town north of Baghdad that was retaken from militants on Saturday, sparking hours-long clashes in which 10 guards were also wounded.
- Iran considers cooperating with US in fighting Sunni extremist fighters in Iraq VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Iran may consider cooperating with the United States in fighting Sunni extremist fighters in Iraq if Washington acts against them, President Hassan Rouhani told journalists Saturday. He was responding to questions of whether mutual interests in fighting terrorism could possibly bring together Tehran and Washington - traditional foes that have had no diplomatic relations in more than three decades.
- China refutes Vietnam's accusations, citing historical facts People's Daily 14 Jun 2014 -- China on Friday rebutted Vietnam's accusations and urged the Vietnamese side to immediately stop all forms of disruptions of China's operations.
- The truth about the sea dispute People's Daily 14 Jun 2014 -- Vietnam says it has evidence to prove its claim in South China Sea but is ignoring own historical documents that vindicate China's position
- Israel Lawmakers Spar Over Future Borders VOA 14 Jun 2014 -- A controversial plan by an Israeli political leader to annex parts of the occupied West Bank has triggered an angry debate in Israel, exposing serious divisions in the coalition government over the future of the peace process with the Palestinians.
- NATO Releases Imagery: Raises Questions on Russia's Role in Providing Tanks to Ukraine NATO ACO 14 Jun 2014 -- NATO is providing a series of images (see below) to the public in order to inform debate regarding recent events in the border region of Russia and Ukraine.
- US must press Ukraine to end offensive: Russia FM Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- Russia's foreign minister has demanded the United States put pressure on Ukrainian officials to immediately stop their military operations against protesters in eastern and southern provinces.
- 49 aboard Ukrainian army plane killed Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- Forty nine Ukrainian troops have been killed as their military plane was shot down by pro-Russia forces in Ukraine's eastern city of Luhansk.
- Ukraine Mourns 49 Troops Killed When Rebels Down Army Plane RFE/RL 14 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has declared a day of mourning for those killed in the deadliest attack on national troops since the pro-Russian uprising began in the country's south and east.
- UN chief condemns shooting of Ukrainian plane, 49 aboard killed UN News Centre 14 Jun 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today condemned in the strongest terms the downing of a Ukrainian military airplane today in the eastern city of Lugansk, killing all 49 people aboard.
- Kyiv Vows 'Adequate Response' to Downed Plane VOA 14 Jun 2014 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko summoned his defense and security chiefs for consultations Saturday after pro-Russian separatists shot down a military transport plane, killing all 49 people on board.
- Lugansk: local self-defense forces launch counteroffensive VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Local defenders in the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic launched a counteroffensive to free the town of Schastye earlier seized by Ukrainian forces, press service of the republic said on Saturday. According to earlier reports, a column of armored vehicles of the Ukrainian Armed Forces was moving toward Lugansk from Schastye. 'Preparations are underway to defend the city,' one of the republic's leaders said. There was no information about the strength of the Ukrainian force that was on the way to Lugansk.
- US must urge Ukraine to end military campaign - Lavrov VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Russia's foreign minister urged US Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday to use his influence over Ukraine's leaders to convince them to suspend a military offensive in the separatist east. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov 'urged the United States to use its influence with the Kiev authorities to nudge them toward a more realistic assessment of the situation, making them realize the hopelessness of using force to resolve a domestic conflict,' the Russian foreign ministry said after the two diplomats spoke by telephone.
- Russia's FM warns Ukraine against state border violations VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has expressed serious concern about 'the significant aggravation in recent times of the situation on several sections of the Russian-Ukrainian state border resulting from the provocative actions of the Ukrainian side.' The ministry issued a statement saying that on June 5 a Ukrainian Su-27 aircraft penetrated the Russian air space to the depth of 1.5 kilometers in the area of Kuibyshevo, according to Interfax.
- Russia demands reports of prohibited weapons use by Kiev to be thoroughly studied VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry urges that 'the reports on the use by Ukraine of types of weapons prohibited by international law need to be studied thoroughly.'
- Ukrainian Su-24 military aircraft shot down in Donetsk region by local militia VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- The self-defense forces of Gorlovka, Donetsk region, have reported that the Ukrainian Su-24 plane that bombed the building of a local police station at 4:30 a.m. Kiev time has been shot down.
- 49 troops aboard plane shot down in Ukraine's Lugansk confirmed dead VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- The Ukrainian prosecutor's office has confirmed that 49 servicemen died when a military transport plane was shot down at Lugansk airport. 'About 01:10 local time on June 14, 2014, when landing at Lugansk airport, an Il-76 military transport plane of the Ukrainian Armed Forces was downed by a shot from an antiaircraft missile system. On board the plane, aside from nine crewmembers, were 40 servicemen. All died,' the press service of the prosecutor's office said.
- 49 people reportedly killed as Lugansk self-defense forces down Ukrainian military plane VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- There is information that 49 Ukrainian troops could have been killed in attack by insurgents on a Ukrainian military-transport plane Il-76, which occurred when the plane was landing in Luhansk, Vladislav Seleznyov, the head of the group in charge of reporting on the military operation, said. 'The lists are now being checked. Precise information will be available after the search and rescue group completes its work. Fifty-nine people are feared dead,' he told Interfax on Saturday morning.
- Russia proposes UN Security Council to condemn attack on Russian Embassy VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Russia has proposed to UN Security Council a draft of a statement with condemnation of the attack on the Russian Embassy in Kiev, said in a draft received at the disposal of journalists. 'The members of the UN Security Council strongly condemned the mob attack on June 14, 2014 on the Russian Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine, causing damage of construction and property of the Embassy, jeopardizing the lives of its staff,' - draft document said.
- Rouhani rejects reports on meeting American priest ISNA 14 Jun 2014 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani rejected reports that he had a meeting with an American priest carrying a a message from Obama.
- Iran naval fleet heads to Cape Town port in S Africa Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- The 30th Fleet of the Iranian Navy is heading to South Africa in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in international waters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|