22 May 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 May 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Leader in Helmand Province AFPS 22 May 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader and four other insurgents in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Afghanistan's Helmand province today, military officials reported.
- Afghanistan's Helmand Province Sees Fresh Clashes, Conflicting Claims VOA 22 May 2013 -- Fighting between Taliban militants and Afghan government forces has erupted in a highly-volatile corner of Helmand province.
- Royal Navy Lynx crews leave Helmand for last time UK MOD 22 May 2013 -- The final tour of duty in Afghanistan of the Commando Helicopter Force fliers of 847 Naval Air Squadron (847 NAS) has ended today, 22 May.
- U.S. Northcom Aids Oklahoma Tornado Disaster Relief Efforts AFPS 22 May 2013 -- U.S. Northern Command is coordinating Department of Defense-provided support to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and state and local response activities in response to tornado-devastated areas in Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma Guard Soldiers Aid Responders in Tornado's Wake AFPS 22 May 2013 -- Oklahoma National Guard soldiers are assisting law enforcement officials and other responders in the wake of a deadly tornado that killed 24 people and flattened part of this Oklahoma City suburb May 20.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama Speech Attempts to Fulfill Pledges For More Transparency VOA 22 May 2013 -- The Obama administration on Wednesday formally acknowledged the killing of four Americans in drone strikes. This came on the eve of a speech by President Barack Obama about the legal principles, since 2009, supporting use of drones against terrorist suspects, and about detention policies.
- Experts Weigh In on Challenges of Closing Guantanamo Prison VOA 22 May 2013 -- The Obama administration is asking Congress for more than $450 million to maintain and upgrade the Guantanamo Bay terrorist prison even as the president is searching for ways to close the 11-year-old facility on a U.S. Navy base in Cuba.
- KC-46A training, operational bases, alternatives selected AFNS 22 May 2013 -- Air Force officials announced today Altus Air Force Base, Okla., as the preferred alternative for the KC-46A formal training unit (FTU).
- Air Force Announces KC-46A Preferred and Reasonable Alternatives DoD 22 May 2013-- Air Force officials announced today the preferred and reasonable alternatives for the first KC-46A Tanker aircraft training and main operating bases.
- Tinker AFB aircraft return to Oklahoma after diverting to Arizona AFNS 22 May 2013 -- Six Air Force E-3 Sentries and two Navy E-6B Mercuries returned to Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., May 21 after diverting here in advance of severe weather in Oklahoma.
- Hagel Hails Netherlands as Strong U.S., NATO Partner AFPS 22 May 2013 -- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel hosted the Netherlands' Minister of Defense Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert at the Pentagon today, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Calls Grow For An End to Sexual Assaults in US Military VOA 22 May 2013 -- A recent Pentagon report says the number of sexual assaults among people in the military continues to grow. The estimated number of incidents, ranging from groping to rape, increased by 37 percent last year. Both men and women were victims. This is prompting them, and activists, to push for deep changes in the US military.
- EXFOR plays key role in shaping future technologies Army News 22 May 2013 -- Maj. Roberto Herrera, commander of A Company, 1st Battalion, 29th Infantry Regiment, relinquished his command of the company last week during a change of command ceremony that saw Capt. Joel Meredith assume command.
- Army releases 2012 Net Zero Progress Report Army News 22 May 2013 -- The Army has released the Net Zero Pilot Installation Initiative Progress Report for 2012 containing information useful to implementing Net Zero. The Army now plans to issue a policy this year that will expand the Net Zero Initiative to all permanent Army installations.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Meeting with the Netherlands' Minister of Defence Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert DoD 22 May 2013
- Remarks Following a Roundtable Discussion on the Veterans Affairs Claims Backlog with the Senate Appropriations Committee DoD 22 May 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel; Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki; Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski, D-MD.; Sen. Mark S. Kirk, R-Ill.; Acting Commissioner of Social Security Carolyn Colvin
- DOD Briefing by Under Secretary Kendall on the Electronic Health Record Modernization and Healthcare Management Software from the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 22 May 2013 -- Presenter: Under Secretary for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall
- Remarks by Secretary Hagel at a Roundtable Discussion on the Veterans Affairs Claims Backlog with the Senate Appropriations Committee DoD 22 May 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel
- Southern Partnership Station 13 Mission Concludes NNS 22 May 2013 -- Military Sealift Command-charted vessel HSV Swift (HSV 2) arrived to Mayport, Fla., May 23 to officially mark the completion of the Southern Partnership Station (SPS) 2013 mission.
- Navy Triton Unmanned Aircraft System Completes First Flight NNS 22 May 2013 -- The Navy's newest unmanned Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft platform, the MQ-4C Triton Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS), completed its first flight from Palmdale, Calif. May 22, marking the start of tests which will validate the Northrop Grumman-built system for future fleet operations.
- Pacific Commander: U.S., China Can Build on Common Ground AFPS 22 May 2013 -- The United States and China, by increasing their dialogue and engagement, can build a foundation of trust while fostering regional security and prosperity, the top U.S. commander in the region said yesterday.
- McRaven Sets Future Course for Special Ops Command AFPS 22 May 2013 -- After 12 years of unprecedented demand for special operations forces capability worldwide, the commander of U.S Special Operations Command is shaping his forces for the future based on his "SOF 2020" vision.
- Electronic Health Records and Healthcare Management Software DoD 22 May 2013 -- Last month, Secretary Hagel ordered an extensive 30-day review of the Department of Defense's efforts to achieve the president's goal of creating a seamless health record that integrates Veterans Affairs and DoD data and modernizes the software supporting DoD clinicians and patients.
- U.S. and Egyptian Navies Increase Interoperability with PASSEX NNS 22 May 2013 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Gravely (DDG 107) participated in a combined passing exercise (PASSEX) with the Egyptian Navy Ship Toushka (FFG-906), May 20.
- Minuteman III test missile launches from Vandenberg AFB AFNS 22 May 2013 -- Airmen launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile here during an operational test at 6:27 a.m. PST, today.
- Spending Cuts Devastate Cocaine Interdiction, Admiral Says AFPS 22 May 2013 -- Sequestration spending cuts are letting 38 more metric tons of cocaine into the United States, the director of the Joint Interagency Task Force South said here today.
- Biden: Coast Guard Has Growing Role in Nation's Security AFPS 22 May 2013 -- Vice President Joe Biden told the U.S. Coast Guard Academy's graduating class today they are entering a world of new threats, some that didn't even exist when they were born, and that the service's changing mission means they are not joining "your father's Coast Guard."
- India Test-Fires BrahMos Missile from Ship RIA Novosti 22 May 2013 -- India test-launched a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the Russian-built guided missile frigate Tarkash off the coast of Goa on Wednesday, a defense ministry source told RIA Novosti.
- Russian Premier Calls For Better Weapons RIA Novosti 22 May 2013 -- Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev called on the country's defense industry on Wednesday to provide the military with state-of-the-art weapons superior to their Western analogs.
- Five Iranian Navy fleet deployed from N. Indian Ocean to Bab ul-Mandab, Red Sea IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Navy Commander of the Islamic Republic Army Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Wednesday that five Iranian Navy fleet are deployed in an area stretching from north Indian Ocean to Bab ul-Mandab and Red Sea.
- Iran unveils new military garb, gear, ammunition Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran has officially unveiled newly-developed sophisticated weapons, ammunition and military camouflage outfit.
- Defense minister unveils five new achievements IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi here Wednesday unveiled five new achievements gained by his ministry.
- May 22, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 May 2013
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 5/22/13 The White House 22 May 2013
- 22 May 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 May 2013
- Turkey seals border crossing with Syria after deadly bomb attacks Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Turkey has closed a border gate with Syria following two deadly bomb attacks in Turkey's southern province of Hatay.
- Syrian Opposition's Stance 'Not Reassuring' - Lavrov RIA Novosti 22 May 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday described the results of the recent meeting of Syrian opposition groups in Madrid as "not reassuring," and expressed hope that "constructive feedback" will follow.
- UN emergency fund provides $9.8 million to assist Syrian refugees in Jordan UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- The United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) has provided $9.8 million to support the establishment of a new camp for Syrian refugees in Jordan and to help meet the growing needs of those fleeing the ongoing conflict.
- Qusair Fighting Drives More Syrians Into Lebanon VOA 22 May 2013 -- The battle between Syrian government forces, supported by Lebanese Hezbollah fighters, and Syrian rebels in Qusair north of Damascus is sending waves of traumatized refugees into neighboring Lebanon.
- Kerry Calls on Syrian Government to Make Peace VOA 22 May 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Syrian President Bashar al-Assad risks increasing international support for his opponents if he does not agree to take part in peace talks. In Amman, Kerry criticized Iran for 'making the problem worse' in Syria.
- Taiwan's demands to Philippines remain unchanged: MOFA CNA 22 May 2013 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) insisted Wednesday that the Philippines must fulfill four demands over the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman by a Philippine government vessel earlier this month.
- President welcomes Philippines' interest in fishery talks CNA 22 May 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Wednesday he welcomed the Philippines' interest in holding talks on a fishery agreement with Taiwan.
- Fishery talks dependent on Manila apology, compensation CNA 22 May 2013 -- Taiwan's top fishery official reiterated Wednesday that previously demanded fishery talks with the Philippines will be held only after Manila offers a formal apology, brings to justice the killers of the Taiwanese fisherman shot by the Philippine coast guard May 9 and compensates the victim's family.
- President promises regular coastguard patrols to protect fishermen CNA 22 May 2013 -- Taiwan's Coast Guard will conduct routine patrols to protect the country's fishermen, President Ma Ying-jeou said Wednesday, vowing to prevent any recurrence of a May 9 incident in which a local fisherman was shot dead by Philippines maritime patrol personnel.
- Philippines' one-China policy no excuse for lack of apology: president CNA 22 May 2013 -- The Philippines government has to apologize for the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman and should not use its 'one-China policy' as an excuse to evade an official apology, President Ma Ying-jeou said Wednesday.
- Analysis: Nigerians on the run as military combat Boko Haram IRIN 22 May 2013 -- Tens of thousands of residents of northeastern Nigeria's Borno State have fled their homes - thousands of them into neighbouring Niger and Cameroon - following airstrikes by Nigerian fighter jets on Boko Haram (BH) camps from 15 May.
- Boko Haram's Funding Remains 'Elusive' VOA 22 May 2013 -- Nigerian militants known as Boko Haram are well-armed and presumably well-funded. But as thousands of Nigerian troops battle the Islamist group, analysts say the actual source of the funding is as elusive as the militants themselves. The question is: who or what might be paying for the militancy.
- On joint visit to DR Congo, UN and World Bank chiefs voice support for latest peace effort UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- In the first visit of its kind, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and World Bank President Jim Yong Kim are in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to support a recent peace deal and promote economic development in the long-troubled region.
- More Fighting in DRC City Ahead of Ban's Arrival VOA 22 May 2013 -- Rebels and army troops have clashed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a day before U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is due to arrive in the area.
- Guinea: UN official initiates consultations between Government, opposition leaders UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- A United Nations envoy today convened a consultative meeting in the Guinean capital, Conakry, between the Prime Minister and opposition leaders, pressing ahead with UN efforts to assist the parties in resolving differences over preparations for stalled legislative elections and other contentious issues through peaceful means.
- Security Council extends UN political mission in Guinea-Bissau UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- The United Nations Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations political mission in Guinea-Bissau to assist in finding solutions to the political and economic crisis being exacerbated by additional challenges posed by transnational crime, in particular drug trafficking and money laundering.
- Stuck In The Middle: Abkhazia's Ethnic Georgians Feel The Squeeze RFE/RL 22 May 2013 -- For residents of the Gali district, the southeastern-most tip of Georgia's breakaway region of Abkhazia, going to school, getting to a hospital, or collecting a pension payment can be a very tricky endeavor.
- UN expanding mine action work in Mali UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) today announced plans to expand its humanitarian activities in Mali, bolster preparations for full deployment of an African-led support mission and help displaced persons return safely to their homes following months of strife in the West African country.
- International community must help Darfur become self-sufficient – UN official UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- The United Nations humanitarian chief today stressed the international community must do more to ensure the people of Sudan's Darfur region can better provide for themselves.
- Amid turmoil in Mideast, UN envoy urges 'concerted action' to resume Israeli-Palestinian talks UN News Centre 22 May 2013 -- While international attention is understandably on the tragedy that continues to unfold in Syria, it is equally important to ensure the resumption of negotiations aimed at resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, a senior United Nations envoy stressed to the Security Council today.
- Amano new report on Iran published IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano published his new report on Iran's nuclear activity.
- Biography of Iran's top nuclear negotiator IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Saeed Jalili is a politician and the present Secretary of Iranˈs Supreme National Security Council (SNSC).
- Biography of Velayati IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Ali Akbar Velayati, born on June 25, 1945, is an Iranian politician, academic and diplomat.
- Biography of former Majlis speaker IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Gholam-Ali Haddad-Adel, born in 1945 in Tehran, is a philosopher and politician.
- Biography of Tehran Mayor IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, is the 54th and current mayor of Tehran.
- Biography of Mohsen Rezaei IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Mohsen Rezaei Mirqa'ed was born on September 9, 1954 in Masjed Soleyman, southwestern province of Khuzestan.
- Biography of Mohammad Gharzai IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Mohammad Gharazi is one of the eight candidates of Iran's 11th presidential election whose qualification was confirmed by the Guardian Council.
- Biography of Mohammad-Reza Aref IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Mohammad-Reza Aref is one of the candidates of the 11th presidential election. He was born in 1951 in Yazd, central Iran.
- Biography of Hassan Rowhani IRNA 22 May 2013 -- Hassan Rowhani, born on November 12, 1948, is an Iranian politician and Shia Mujtahid.
- Iran's Interior Ministry releases official list of approved presidential hopefuls Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Iran's Interior Ministry has published the list of the hopefuls approved to run as official candidates for president in the country's eleventh presidential election slated for June 14, Press TV reports.
- Rafsanjani calls on supporters to refrain from political libeling Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has, in a statement released prior to the official announcement of the approved presidential candidates for Iran's June 14 election, called on his supporters to refrain from engaging in any smear campaigns against others.
- Ahmadinejad officially reacts to Mashaei's disapproval Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has pledged to follow up on the Guardian Council (GC) disapproval of his top aide, Esfandiyar Rahim Mashaei.
- Iran candidates urged to respect law Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Iran Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani has called on unsuccessful presidential hopefuls and those approved to stand in the race to respect the law and the Constitution in the wake of next month's vote.
- Iran's Shortlisted Presidential Candidates RFE/RL 22 May 2013 -- Iran's Interior Ministry has announced the official shortlist of candidates that will be vying to succeed President Mahmud Ahmadinejad in that country's June 14 election. Eight men passed the vetting process overseen by the powerful Guardians Council, which is dominated by conservatives loyal to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
- Ahmadinejad Denounces Ally's Disqualification From Presidential Race RFE/RL 22 May 2013 -- Outgoing Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has vowed to reverse a decision to disqualify his top aide from the June 14 presidential election.
- Khomeini's Daughter Calls On Supreme Leader To Reinstate Rafsanjani RFE/RL 22 May 2013 -- The daughter of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of Iran's Islamic republic, has emerged among those stunned and angered by the exclusion of former Iranian President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani from next month's presidential race.
- First Light Angara Rocket Ready for Launch - Maker RIA Novosti 22 May 2013 -- Russia's first light-class modification Angara 1.2PP carrier rocket is ready for its maiden launch, its manufacturer Khrunichev Center said on Wednesday.
- Russian Satellite a 'Success' Despite Animal Deaths – Official RIA Novosti 22 May 2013 -- Russia's Bion-M1 biological research satellite, which recently carried rodents, microorganisms and plants on a month-long space flight, successfully accomplished its mission, an official said on Wednesday, despite the death of most of the animals on board.
- Iran dismisses Saudi Arabia's false spy link allegations Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman has dismissed Saudi Arabia's false allegations that the Islamic Republic has links to a spy cell recently arrested in the Kingdom.
- Deep British involvement in CIA secret detention operations revealed Iran Press TV 22 May 2013 -- A new study has shed more lights on the UK government's involvement in the U.S. spying agency CIA's rendition flights.
- Somalia, beyond the famine IRIN 22 May 2013 -- Over one million people in Somalia are currently food insecure, according to a May report by the Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWSNET). This number is a significant drop from the 3.7 million considered food insecure in mid-2011.
- Kenya Truth Commission Report Links Leaders to Abuses VOA 22 May 2013 -- A long-awaited report from Kenya's Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission (TJRC) has linked several of Kenya's leaders, including current President Uhuru Kenyatta, to abuses committed throughout the country's history. The commission has called for further investigation of those responsible for these crimes in an effort to bring closure.
- Mugabe Signs New Zimbabwe Constitution Into Law VOA 22 May 2013 -- Zimbabwe moved a step closer Wednesday to holding new elections, after President Robert Mugabe signed a new constitution into law. The 89-year-old president said Zimbabweans had proved that they can manage their affairs without external assistance or interference.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|