05 May 2013 Military News
- Eight NATO Troops Killed In Afghanistan RFE/RL 05 May 2013 -- Eight NATO soldiers, including seven Americans and one German, have been killed in three separate incidents in one of the deadliest days for Western troops in Afghanistan for months.
- California Air National Guard successfully completes rescue off San Diego Coast AFNS 05 May 2013 -- A team of California Air National Guardsmen from the 129th Rescue Wing (RQW) aboard a HH-60G Pave Hawk rescue helicopter and a MC-130P Combat Shadow refueling airplane, successfully completed a complex overwater rescue mission, extracting an injured cruise ship passenger more than 300 miles off the coast of San Diego this afternoon.
Defense Policy / Programs
- French M51 ballistic missile self-destructs during test Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- A ballistic missile test in France has failed after the missile was self-destroyed following launch off the northwestern coast of Brittany, officials say.
- IRGC ready to counter threats of all kind: IRGC cmdr. Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- An Iranian commander says Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is ready to counter all enemy threats and defend the country against them.
- Iranian Army's Ground Forces unveil indigenous helicopter simulator Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- The Iranian Army's Ground Forces have unveiled a new indigenous simulator for Bell 214 helicopter, presenting the forces' latest achievement in the simulation field.
- US military data hacked for three years: Report Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- A report says military technology data and classified documents at a high-profile US military contractor had been compromised for three years, while the company failed to take heed of security breach signs.
- Gaggle by Josh Earnest en route Columbus, OH The White House 05 May 2013
- Iran ready to train Syrian army: Iran cmdr. Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan says Iran is ready to train the Syrian army should Damascus require assistance.
- Iran raps Israeli aggression on Syria, urges united stand against Tel Aviv Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has condemned the Israeli military aggression against Syria, urging regional countries to stand up against Tel Aviv.
- US lawmakers call on Obama to provide training for anti-Damascus militants Iran Press TV 05 May 2013 -- US lawmakers have urged President Barack Obama to provide the foreign-sponsored militants fighting against the Syrian government with intelligence and training through Arab states to incite a regime change in Syria.
- Syria Accuses Israel Of Rocket Attack RFE/RL 05 May 2013 -- Syrian state-run media have accused Israel of carrying out a rocket attack on a military research center in the capital, Damascus.
- Syria Blames Israel For Missile Strike on Military Facility RIA Novosti 05 May 2013 -- Israel carried out early on Sunday a missile attack on a military research center outside the Syrian capital, Damascus, the official Syrian news agency SANA reported.
- Iran Condemns Israeli Airstrike on Syria RIA Novosti 05 May 2013 -- Iran condemned on Sunday the recent Israeli airstrikes on Syria and urged regional countries to resist such acts of 'aggression,' Fars news agency reported, referring to Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast.
- Syria Accuses Israel of Supporting 'Terrorists' with Airstrikes RIA Novosti 05 May 2013 -- Syria condemned on Sunday Israel over airstrikes against targets around Damascus, saying the attacks aim 'to give direct military support to terrorist groups' fighting the government, the Associated Press reported.
- UN chief calls for maximum calm and restraint after reported Israeli air strikes in Syria UN News Centre 05 May 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is gravely concerned about reports of air strikes in Syria by the Israeli Air Force, according to a statement from his spokesperson, which stressed that the United Nations does not have details of the reported incidents nor is in a position to independently verify that they took place.
- Israeli Air Strikes Prompt Debate on Possible US Action in Syria VOA 05 May 2013 -- Some U.S. lawmakers say Israeli airstrikes in Syria demonstrate that the United States could take action to protect Syrian civilians from horrific carnage and hasten the fall of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Israel Targets Iranian Missiles in Syria Air Strike VOA 05 May 2013 -- Israel has attacked targets in Syria for the second time in three days.
- Ban 'strongly condemns' killings of top tribal chief, UN peacekeeper in Abyei UN News Centre 05 May 2013 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for calm in Abyei, an area contested by Sudan and South Sudan, following the killing of a top tribal chief and a UN peacekeeper from the UN Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), as tensions in the area reportedly remain high today.
- Somalia: UN political office reiterates support for Government after deadly attack UN News Centre 05 May 2013 -- The United Nations political office for Somalia today strongly condemned a deadly suicide bombing at Kilometer 4 (K4) junction in the capital Mogadishu, and reiterated the UN's continued support for the Government ahead of next week's international conference in the United Kingdom.
- Car Bomb Attack Hits Somali Capital VOA 05 May 2013 -- At least eight people were killed and several others wounded in a car bomb attack Sunday in the Somali capital, Mogadishu. The attack occurred two days before a conference in London to rally international support for Somalia.
- S. Korean Police Thwart Anti-North Leaflet Launch VOA 04 May 2013 -- Police in South Korea prevented defectors from North Korea from launching balloons near the demilitarized zone Saturday. North Korea, as it has in the past, threatened to retaliate if balloons floated across the border. The provocative action would have coincided with the eve of South Korean President Park Geun-hye's first official visit to the United States.
- North Korea Sets Conditions for Reopening Kaesong VOA 05 May 2013 -- North Korea has set conditions for the revival of the jointly-run Kaesong industrial park, which has suspended operations amid escalating tensions.
- North Korea: Will Not Use American Prisoner as 'Bargaining Chip' VOA 05 May 2013 -- North Korea says it will not invite any prominent U.S. figure to seek the release of an imprisoned American, and will not use him as a bargaining chip in any political negotiations.
- FM spokesman: People's high turnout in upcoming presidential elections will foil enemies plots IRNA 05 May 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Sunday underlined people's massive turnout in the June presidential election, saying it will neutralize enemies' plots.
- Iran's nuclear program on right track: AEOI chief IRNA 05 May 2013 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), Fereidoun Abbasi said on Sunday that Iran's nuclear program is on the right track.
- Thousands Rally In Russia For 'Bolotnaya' Prisoners RFE/RL 05 May 2013 -- Thousands of people attended an opposition rally in Moscow's Bolotnaya Square.
- Libya MPs Pass Law Barring Gadhafi-Era Officials VOA 05 May 2013 -- Libya was thrown into greater political turmoil Sunday when the country's congress gave in to the demands of revolutionary militiamen and voted to remove former Gadhafi-era officials from office - even if they had contributed to the downfall of the late dictator.
- H7N9 cases in China rise to 128 CNA 05 May 2013 -- China has reported a further case of H7N9 infection in Fujian Province, bringing the total number in China to 128, Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday.
- Long-Ruling Malaysian Coalition Extends Rule VOA 05 May 2013 -- Malaysia's long-governing coalition has won national elections to extend its 56 years of unbroken rule, fending off the strongest opposition it has ever faced.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|