19 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on the Ten Year Anniversary of the Iraq War DoD 19 Mar 2013 -- "This week marks the ten year anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War. "
- Ten Years After - NHB Staff Remembers the War in Iraq NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- Ten years after, there are no Naval Hospital Bremerton personnel deployed to Iraq, but from the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 to the final days of Operation New Dawn in 2011, Naval Hospital Bremerton staff members continually deployed for medical support inside and out of Iraq.
- Afghanistan: Security Council extends mission amid calls for continued UN support UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations mission in Afghanistan for another year, after Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other speakers urged continued UN support to the Government as it assumes full responsibility in most areas by 2014.
- NATO calls Karzai claim of secret US-Taliban talks 'absolutely ridiculous' Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has called Afghan President Hamid Karzai's claim about secret talks between the US and Taliban an 'absolutely ridiculous' accusation.
- Karzai Spokesman Calls NATO War 'Unwise, Aimless' RFE/RL 19 Mar 2013 -- A spokesman for the Afghan presidency has described the NATO-led military mission in the country as 'aimless and unwise.'
- Army and Navy units deploy to Afghanistan UK MOD 19 Mar 2013 -- Soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland are deploying to Afghanistan and 847 Naval Air Squadron is already at work there.
- Kyrgyzstan Gives NATO Ok for Land Transits RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- The government of Kyrgyzstan has approved a bill allowing the transit of NATO military cargo by land to and from Afghanistan, the government's press service said on Tuesday.
- Pakistani Taliban suspend dialogue offer IRNA 19 Mar 2013 -- Pakistani Taliban here Monday suspended their peace talks offer after government ignored their proposal as they had refused to stop attacks.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Training Incident Kills 7 Service Members at Nevada Depot AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- Seven service members were killed and several others were injured last night when an incident occurred during a training exercise at Hawthorne Army Depot, Nev.
- DOD Asks Congress to Aid Efficiency Efforts AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- The Defense Department continues to work to be a good steward of the American people's money, the Pentagon's top financial official told Congress today.
- Southcom Chief Warns Budget Issues Could Affect National Security AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Southern Command's top officer told a Senate panel today he is "gravely concerned" about the effects sequestration and other budget constraints will have on the United States' ability to deter and respond to regional security challenges, and he warned the cuts will damage U.S. leadership, readiness and, consequently, national security.
- Cuts Create 'Difficult, Challenging' Picture, Eucom Commander Says AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- The effects of spending cuts on personnel, force structure and programs reduce morale, efficiency and the ability to support the mission, the commander of U.S. European Command told Congress today.
- Carter: U.S., Philippines Enjoy 'Longstanding' Alliance AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- On the third stop of his weeklong trip to Asia, Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter met today with top officials here and carried greetings from President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to be delivered to President Benigno Aquino III.
- Readout Secretary of Defense Hagel's Call with Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon DoD 19 Mar 2013
- Senior Executive Service Announcements DoD 19 Mar 2013
- Navy Demonstrates Joint Amphibious Operations During Brilliant Scepter NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- Naval Beach Group (NBG) 1, 1st Marine Logistics Group, Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) 1 and USNS Bob Hope (T-AKR 300) collaborated during training exercise Brilliant Scepter March 4-8.
- USS Providence Returned from a Seven-Month Deployment NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- Los Angeles class-attack submarine USS Providence (SSN 719) returned to Naval Submarine Base New London following a seven-month regularly scheduled deployment, March 19.
- VAQ 136 Completes Prowler to Growler Transition, Certified 'Safe for Flight' NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- The 'Gauntlets' of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 136 were certified 'safe for flight' March 12, after completing an 11-month transition from the EA-6B Prowler to the new EA-18G Growler.
- Eucom Chief: NATO, European Partners Remain Critical AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- The commander of U.S. European Command emphasized to Congress today the importance of the region to future U.S. interests.
- USS Ronald Reagan Wraps Up Availability, Heads Back To San Diego NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) wrapped up more than a year's worth of maintenance and overhaul Monday and headed back to her traditional homeport of San Diego.
- Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group Arrives in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) Carrier Strike Group (IKE CSG) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) March 15.
- US to deploy controversial missile system in Romania Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Bucharest says the United States is going ahead with deploying controversial anti-missile interceptors in Romania despite opposition from Russia.
- 25th Marine Regiment executes first UAV practice flights for Reserve operators USMC News 19 Mar 2013 -- A group of unmanned aerial vehicle operators and support personnel from Headquarters Company, 25th Marine Regiment and 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment ventured out into a snowy morning March 9 to conduct practice flights at Devens Reserve Forces Training Area. The flights mark the first time UAVs have been employed by the regiment.
- Unmanned Air System Takes First Flight at Sea NNS 19 Mar 2013 -- San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19) launched a RQ-21A Small Tactical Unmanned Air System (STUAS) recently, for its first flight at sea.
- Northcom Maintains Watch Over Homeland, Commander Says AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- "We have the watch," the commander of U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command told Congress today, emphasizing the dual commands' vigilance in protecting the homeland.
- Missile Defenses Must Evolve With Threat, Northcom Chief Says AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- U.S. defenses are sufficient to stand up to current ballistic missile threats, but must continue to evolve because "the threat of ballistic missiles is not going down," the commander of U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command told Congress today.
- China, Russia to Stand Together on Missile Defense in AsPac RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- Russia and China will coordinate their reactions to US plans to boost its missile defense in the Asia-Pacific region, a senior Chinese diplomat said on Tuesday.
- Stavridis Shares NATO Perspective on Afghanistan, Syria AFPS 19 Mar 2013 -- Afghan security forces are on track to assume complete control of security in the country, and NATO is monitoring the situation in Syria, the top U.S. commander in Europe said here today.
- Russian frigates to get advanced Kalibr missiles Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Russia plans to install multi-role Kalibr (3M-54 Klub) missile systems on three of its Krivak IV-class frigates for use against surface and subsurface naval combatants along with static land targets.
- Russia's 5G Submarine to Feature New Stealth Technology RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- The distinguishing feature of Russia's newest, fifth-generation submarines will be stealth rather than higher speed or greater depth capabilities, Vladimir Dorofeyev, head of the Malakhit Design Bureau, said on Tuesday.
- Russia Reveals Details of Mediterranean Task Force Command RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- Russia's naval task force in the Mediterranean will comprise 25 officers as part of its command and control system, a senior Defense Ministry official said on Tuesday.
- 'British flotilla no more capable of defending Britain' Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- The UK Royal Navy has become too small to implement its duties because of severe cuts to spending as a result of Britain's huge budget deficit, according to a British naval historian.
- New UK Chief of the Defence Staff appointed UK MOD 19 Mar 2013 -- General Sir Nicholas Houghton will succeed General Sir David Richards as the UK's next Chief of the Defence Staff in July 2013.
- India calls off 'Annual Defense Dialogue' with Sri Lanka IRNA 19 Mar 2013 -- Indian Government has called off the annual defense dialogue with Sri Lanka scheduled to start as of March 25.
- March 19, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 19 Mar 2013
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 3/19/2013 The White House 19 Mar 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for March 19, 2013
- Britain fails to make in top 5 arms exporters ranking for first time since 1950 Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Britain has been forced down from the world's top five arms exporters list by China, which has for the first time achieved its highest ranking since the cold war, said a Sweden-based research institute.
- 19 March 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Mar 2013
- UN expands mine action work in Africa and South Asia UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is expanding its operations in Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Libya, Somalia and South Sudan, thanks to a multi-million dollar contribution from the Government of Japan.
- Syrian conflict exacting growing toll on civilians, senior UN humanitarian official says UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- Syrian civilians are increasingly bearing the brunt of the conflict which, as it enters its third year, has led to more than 70,000 people killed and three million displaced, a senior United Nations humanitarian official has said, urging more funding for humanitarian operations.
- Ban reiterates concerns about possible chemical weapons use in Syria UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the head of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) today voiced their deep concern about the alleged use of these deadly weapons in Syria.
- Militants in Syria use chemical weapons: Report Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- The militants fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria have been using chemical weapons, official SANA news agency says, adding that at least 15 people were killed in a chemical attack in the northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Use of chemical weapons, 'first act' by opposition interim government Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi has described militants' use of chemical weapons as the 'first act' by the so-called opposition interim government.
- Militants carried out Aleppo chemical attack: Russia Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Russia says it has information proving that militants fighting against the Syrian government used chemical weapons in the northern city of Aleppo.
- Syrian Government, Rebels Accuse Each Other Of Chemical Attack RFE/RL 19 Mar 2013 -- Syria's government and rebels have accused each other of launching a deadly chemical attack near the northern city of Aleppo.
- Russia Alarmed by Alleged Chemical Weapons Use in Syria RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- Russia sounded the alarm on Tuesday over the alleged use of chemical weapons by Syria's armed opposition, saying that it would lead to an escalation of the conflict.
- Damascus Denies Lebanon Air Strikes RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- Syria denied reports Tuesday that it has launched air assaults on rebel positions in Lebanon, despite having earlier warned it might do so unless Beirut reinforced its border.
- Chemical Weapons Attack Reported in Syria VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- Syria's government and rebels traded accusations Tuesday over reports of the use of a chemical weapon in the northwest of the city of Aleppo that killed more than 20 people and wounded another 80, with each side blaming the other for the attack.
- 50 killed in violence in Baghdad Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Violence in the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad has killed at least 50 people and injured 160 others.
- UN envoy strongly condemns wave of deadly attacks in Baghdad UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations envoy to Iraq today strongly condemned the wave of coordinated car bomb attacks and shooting that killed and injured dozens of civilians in several areas of Baghdad, the capital.
- At Least 50 Killed in Iraq Attacks VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- A series of car bombings in the Iraqi capital has killed more than 50 people and wounded at least 200. The attacks come on the tenth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion that toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein.
- UN welcomes surrender of wanted Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda UN News Centre 19 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today welcomed the surrender of rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Warlord's Surrender Could Herald New Chapter For Congo VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- Accused Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda walked into the U.S. Embassy in Rwanda's capital on Monday and asked to be sent to the International Criminal Court. Despite facing charges of crimes against humanity, Ntaganda apparently assumed he would be safer in The Hague than on the battlefield of eastern Congo.
- Cautious Optimism Over Congolese Warlord's Surrender VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- People in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo say they are glad former warlord Bosco Ntaganda has turned himself in at the U.S. embassy in Rwanda, and say they want him tried by the International Criminal Court. They also say, though, that he is not the only war criminal in Congo who should face justice.
- China's surveillance ships continue patrols near disputed isles Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Chinese naval surveillance vessels have continued regular patrols in waters surrounding a group of islands in the East China Sea disputed by Beijing and Tokyo.
- Al-Shabab Retakes Somali Town After Ethiopian Pullout VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- Militant group al-Shabab has retaken a town in central Somalia after Ethiopian troops unexpectedly pulled out.
- Abandoned munitions endanger lives in Mali IRIN 19 Mar 2013 -- Air and ground battles have left Mali's central and northern regions littered with unexploded ordnance (UXO), seriously endangering the lives of children and the return of displaced people.
- Water scarcity affects Somaliland households IRIN 19 Mar 2013 -- Hundreds of households in the disputed Sool area of the self-declared republic of Somaliland are facing a water shortage following poor rains, say officials.
- 5+1 Group presents nuclear proposals to Iran IRNA 19 Mar 2013 -- The Russian News Agency, RIA Novosti, in a report on the talks between the nuclear experts of Iran and 6 major powers, said the 5+1 group presented a package to the Iranian side which could' remove the two sides' differences on Iran's nuclear programme'.
- Talks between Iran, G5+1 end in Istanbul IRNA 19 Mar 2013 -- Three round of talks between the Islamic Republic of Iran and G5+1 behind closed door in Istanbul concluded Monday night, it was announced on Tuesday.
- Deputy Oil Min: Sanctions made known internal industrial capabilities IRNA 19 Mar 2013 -- Deputy Oil Minister and Managing Director of National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) said here Monday despite entire imposed sanctions against Iran we see numerous appropriate opportunities for manifestation of industrial capabilities.
- 'Iran, P5+1 reviewed proposals put forward in Istanbul meeting' Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Iran says the experts of Iran and the group of six major world powers have reviewed proposals put forward by the both sides in their meeting in the Turkish city of Istanbul.
- P5+1 experts give Iran further details on 'revised proposal': EU official Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- A senior EU official says the experts of the group of six major world powers have presented Iran with further details about their 'revised confidence-building proposal.'
- Anti-US Accusations in Venezuela Seen as Campaign Rhetoric VOA 19 Mar 2013 -- Venezuela's Acting President Nicolas Maduro has been making unsubstantiated accusations against Washington, also accusing the United States of plotting to kill Venezuela's opposition candidate for president. Maduro's allegations are being interpreted as campaign rhetoric for now. But there is growing concern they could incite political violence and further damage relations with the United States.
- Remarks by President Obama in Arrival Ceremony The White House 19 Mar 2013
- Israel to demand spy's release from Obama during his formal visit Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- In his upcoming Israeli trip, the US President Barack Obama will face a new, more rigorous demand by current and former top officials of the regime as well as Zionist activists to set free an Israeli spy from a US prison.
- CIA plotting to kill Venezuelan opposition leader, Maduro says Iran Press TV 19 Mar 2013 -- Venezuela's acting president says the Pentagon and the Central Intelligence Agency have formulated a plot to murder opposition leader Henrique Capriles in order to destabilize the Latin American country ahead of the April 14 presidential election.
- ISS Cosmonauts Model Manually Controlled Landing on Mars RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2013 -- For the first time, two Russian cosmonauts simulated a manually controlled landing from the orbit on Mars after they spent half a year in the space, a deputy head of the Russian Space Training Center said on Monday.
- No. 4 nuclear power plant getting 3-tier safety checks: premier CNA 19 Mar 2013 -- Premier Jiang Yi-huah elaborated Tuesday on the government's conducting of safety tests and checks on the fourth nuclear power plant, an almost-completed facility that is widely seen by some members of the public as a time bomb.
- New Taiwan affairs chief seen as sign of 'comprehensive' development CNA 19 Mar 2013 -- The appointment of Zhang Zhijun as the new director of China's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) signals a shift in China's approach to Taiwan from 'steady' to 'comprehensive' engagement, a former opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmaker said Tuesday.
- Francis Officially Installed As Pope RFE/RL 19 Mar 2013 -- Pope Francis has officially begun his ministry as the Roman Catholic Church's 266th pontiff.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|