15 March 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 15 Mar 2013 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Facilitator AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban facilitator and detained another insurgent in the Kandahar district of Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
- Afghan Spy Agency Says Huge Truck Bomb Defused In Kabul RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- Afghanistan's intelligence agency says security forces in Kabul have defused a massive truck bomb with nearly eight tons of explosives.
- Afghan security forces foil massive terror attack on Kabul PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Afghan security officials say they have defused a massive truck bomb in the capital city of Kabul, the biggest of its kind discovered in the war-torn country.
- NATO commander slams Afghan president over anti-US comments PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- The commander of NATO’s International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan has lashed out at Afghan president’s recent anti-US remarks.
- US-Afghan row over transfer of Bagram inmates threatens security pact PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Afghan president’s angry reaction to the breach has prompted the top American commander in Afghanistan to beef up security measures.
- UK slyly admits Afghan war unwinnable PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- The British Ministry of Defense has admitted that the Afghan campaign was “unwinnable in military terms” but is trying to justify long-term British presence in the Asian country under the pretext of supporting the Afghan government.
- The life of an SFAAT (Security Force Advisory and Assistance Team) Army News 15 Mar 2013 -- Security Force Advisory and Assistance Teams from 2nd Security Forces Assistance Brigade "Commandos," 10th Mountain Division, have been deployed to Afghanistan's Paktika province for nearly a month.
- Same mission, new name for E-11A unit at Kandahar Airfield AFNS 15 Mar 2013 -- The 451st Tactical Airborne Gateway, the unit here that flys the E-11A, was designated as a squadron during a ceremony on March 13. It is now the 430th Expeditionary Electronic Combat Squadron.
- 63rd Engineers return from nine-month deployment in Afghanistan Army News 15 Mar 2013 -- Nearly 130 Soldiers in the 63rd Engineer Company (Horizontal), 11th Engineer Battalion, returned from Afghanistan March 4.
- International community must heed Pakistan’s concerns over drones UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- The United States’ ongoing drone campaign in Pakistan is a violation of the South Asian nation’s sovereignty.
- UN Blasts US Drone Strikes in Pakistan RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- United States drone attacks are “a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty,” and are being conducted without the consent of Islamabad.
- UN Says U.S. Drones Violate Pakistan's Sovereignty RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- The head of a United Nations team tasked with investigating casualties from U.S. drone strikes has concluded that the attacks violate Pakistan's sovereignty.
- US drones violate Pakistan sovereignty: UN PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- A UN team investigating civilian casualties from US assassination drone attacks in Pakistan has stated that the terror airstrikes violate sovereignty of Pakistan.
- U.S. Says Iran Fighter Approached Drone RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- The Pentagon says an Iranian fighter jet approached a U.S. surveillance drone over the Persian Gulf.
- Iranian fighter jet chases US spy drone over Persian Gulf PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- An Iranian fighter jet has pursued a US surveillance drone over the Persian Gulf, the Pentagon says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD News Briefing on Missile Defense from the Pentagon DoD 15 Mar 2013 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel; James Miller, Undersecretary for Policy, Department Of Defense; Admiral James Winnefeld, Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs Of Staff
- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel: Missile Defense Announcement DoD 15 Mar 2013
- Hagel: U.S. Bolstering Missile Defense AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- The United States will add more ground-based ballistic missile interceptors to its arsenal to guard against increased threats from North Korea and Iran, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced.
- US to Bolster Missile Defense to Counter N. Korea Threat VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has announced plans to counter growing military threats from North Korea with 14 additional ground-based missile interceptors in Alaska.
- Stavridis Spotlights Top National Security Issues AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- Asked by Congress where the United States needs to focus attention to promote its national security interests, the longest-serving U.S. combatant commander cited three areas: cyberspace, trafficking and special operations.
- Stavridis: Europe Remains Strategically Vital to U.S. AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- The top U.S. commander in Europe emphasized the importance of NATO and the United States’ forward presence in Europe, while acknowledging that he continues to prod the allies to meet their financial defense commitments.
- Africom Helps Partner Nations Grow Capability, Ham Says AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- Now in its fifth year, U.S. Africa Command brings “markedly increased” capabilities to its mission of defending U.S. interests and developing regional militaries, the command’s leader told Congress.
- General Discusses Parameters of Quadrennial Defense Review AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- Work has begun on the Quadrennial Defense Review, and Air Force Maj. Gen. Steven L. Kwast believes the review can help leaders understand the security environment and tailor forces to best operate in a new world.
- DOD Official Discusses Brac Issues with Congress AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- The Defense Department has more real estate than it needs in the United States and abroad, a senior DOD official told a House panel.
- Fly-By-Wire F-15SA makes first flight AFNS 15 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. Air Force and its prime contractor Boeing have completed a successful first flight of the new F-15SA advanced fighter aircraft for the Royal Saudi Air Force.
- Director of Navy Staff Talks LCS with Industry Partners NNS 15 Mar 2013 -- The director of the Navy staff talked at the most recent Navy Now Forum March 14 in Washington, D.C., about the future of the program for the littoral combat ship.
- U.S.-Peru Political-Military Dialogue US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2013
- Sky Soldiers conduct mil-to-mil training in Bulgaria Army News 15 Mar 2013 -- Their mission was to instruct soldiers of the 2nd Mechanized Brigade in preparation for their upcoming rotation at the JTMC at Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany, and their deployment to Kandahar, Afghanistan, later this year.
- Saharan Express 2013 Concludes in Senegal NNS 15 Mar 2013 -- The multinational maritime exercise Saharan Express 2013 successfully concluded with post-sail discussions and a press conference, March 14.
- US Cyber Command to Take Offensive VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- The U.S. Department of Defense has made a rare acknowledgement that it is developing offensive cyber capabilities.
- PACANGEL-Philippines team treats nearly 7,000 patients AFNS 15 Mar 2013 -- The Operation Pacific Angel-Philippines medical mission officially ended March 9 here with 6,885 patients treated at two medical sites nearby, far exceeding the projected 4,500 mark.
- Guard/Reserve Veteran Unemployment Rate Decreases AFPS 15 Mar 2013 -- A senior Pentagon official said there’s been progress in reducing the unemployment rate for Guard and Reserve veterans, but also told a House panel that more work needs to be done.
- Pentagon spends USD 1 billion on military unemployment PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- The Pentagon has spent nearly USD 1 billion last year in unemployment benefits for former troops who voluntarily quit despite the country’s budget cuts.
- US Shipyard Worker Sentenced for Nuclear Sub Fire RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- A former naval shipyard worker who confessed to setting a fire aboard a US nuclear submarine causing $450 million in damage was sentenced to 17 years in federal prison in US District Court in Maine.
- Russia to Acquire Standoff Attack Capability by 2020 RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- The Russian Armed Forces should be capable of conducting standoff engagement-based operations to minimize service casualties by 2020.
- $533 Mln Misspent on Russia Defense Deals - Watchdog RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- About 1,500 violations and infractions have been uncovered in Russia's state defense spending in 2012 involving over 16 billion rubles ($533 million).
- Russia to Open Carrier Pilot Training Site by Fall RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- A new Russian carrier-deck pilot training site will be ready for operation by fall, the Federal Agency for Special Construction Work confirmed.
- Russian Frigate Built for India Completes Sea Trials RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- The last in a series of three frigates that Russia is building for India at the Yantar Shipyard in the Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad has completed contractor sea trials.
- Russia to Deliver First 10 Fighter Engines to India by April RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- Russia’s Ufa-based engine maker will deliver the first 10 of 920 AL-31FP engines for the Su-30MKI Flanker-H to India before the end of March.
- Spain and NATO look to the future NATO 15 Mar 2013 -- General Knud Bartels, Chairman of NATO's Military Committee, paid an official visit to Spain, where he discussed NATO defence priorities post-2014, particularly Smart Defence, and the Connected Forces Initiative.
- UK warship joins Pakistan naval exercise UK MOD 15 Mar 2013 -- Royal Navy frigate HMS Northumberland has been involved in a major maritime exercise involving the navies of 27 nations in Karachi.
- Iran Navy to sail Atlantic Ocean soon: Navy cmdr. PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Iran Navy commander says Iranian naval forces will be sailing the Atlantic Ocean after their successful mission in the Pacific Ocean and crossing the Equator.
- Iranian navy to be present in Atlantic Ocean soon: Commander IRNA 15 Mar 2013 -- Navy aims to be present in the Atlantic Ocean in the next Iranian year (starts March 21), Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said.
- Iran launches indigenous Damavand destroyer PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Iran has launched a new indigenous destroyer called Damavand in line with the Islamic Republic's efforts to boast its naval supremacy.
- Iran docks Damavand destroyer for test purposes IRNA 15 Mar 2013 -- Domestically-made Damavand destroyer was docked for test, Commander of the Iranian navy for research and self-sufficiency jihad Rear Admiral Ali Gholamzadeh said.
- March 15, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2013
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest Aboard Air Force One en route Chicago, Illinois, 3/15/2013 The White House 15 Mar 2013
- DoD News: Contracts for March 15, 2013
- The United States Supports the Arms Trade Treaty US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2013
- Optimism Ahead of UN Arms Trade Conference VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- As the Syrian uprising marks its two-year anniversary, the U.N. estimates fighting between government and rebel forces has taken 70,000 lives.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 15 March 2013 United Nations 15 Mar 2013
- Pyongyang test-fires missiles as tensions run high PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has reportedly test-fired short-range missiles.
- North Korea Blames US, South for 'Cyber Attack' VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- After it suffered a two-day outage of all of its websites based in the country, North Korea is accusing the United States and South Korea of conducting a cyber attack against it.
- North Korea accuses US, South of cyber attacks PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- North Korea has accused the United States and South Korea of staging cyber attacks against its official websites after reports of disruptions to its internet servers.
- KCNA Commentary Blasts U.S. and Its Allies' Cyber Attacks KCNA 15 Mar 2013 -- There are very disturbing developments against the backdrop of the ever mounting moves of the U.S. and its allies to stifle the DPRK.
- External aid essential for subsistence of millions in DPR Korea UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- The well-being of millions of people in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea still depends on external assistance.
- EU Delays Decision to Arm Syrian Rebels VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- European Union governments delayed making a decision on a push by Britain and France to arm Syrian rebels against government troops.
- EU Delays Syrian Arms Embargo Decision RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- European Union leaders have put off a decision on whether to begin arming rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
- EU leaders fail to agree on lifting Syria opposition arms embargo PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- EU leaders have failed to reach an agreement to exclude militants fighting against the Damascus government from an arms embargo on Syria despite a strong push from Britain and France.
- Syria: EU To Debate Arming Rebels RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- European Union leaders, at a summit in Brussels, are expected to debate a French call for the lifting of an embargo so weapons can be provided to insurgents fighting the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Turkey hails efforts to lift EU arms embargo on Syria PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Turkey has expressed support for lifting the EU's arms embargo on Syria in order to facilitate the provision of weaponry to the foreign-backed militants fighting against the Syrian government.
- UN concerned over Syrian crisis spillover into Lebanon PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations Security Council has expressed “grave concern” over the spillover of the Syrian crisis into Lebanon following repeated cross-border attacks between the two countries.
- Syria Threatens to Strike Lebanon Militant Bases RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry has threatened to strike militants' bases on Lebanese territory if Beirut fails to beef up security on their common border and prevent infiltration.
- Syria says it may strike at militant positions inside Lebanon PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Syria has warned that it may strike at the positions of foreign-backed militants fighting against the Damascus government in neighboring Lebanon if the Lebanese army fails to act.
- Humanitarian challenges continue to mount as Syrian crisis enters its third year – UN UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- United Nations officials warned that civilian suffering is escalating and humanitarian needs mounting, while funds are rapidly running out.
- UN increasingly worried for civilians as fighting spreads in Central African Republic UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency said that renewed fighting in the Central African Republic is threatening civilians and compromising access to refugees and internally displaced people.
- UN: Civilians at Risk as CAR Rebels Advance VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations says a renewed rebel advance in the Central African Republic is threatening civilians and prompting thousands more to flee the country.
- Malaysia, Philippines Try to Defuse Tensions VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Since the start of the crisis, Malaysia has been calling on followers of the Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo to surrender unconditionally.
- UN voices concern at reports of shooting of Rohingya boat people by Thai Navy UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations human rights office voiced concern at reports that the Thai Navy shot dead at least two Rohingya asylum-seekers who fled northern Myanmar by boat.
- ‘Pakistani police kill militant commander over aid worker’s murder' PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Pakistani police have killed a local militant commander suspected of being behind the murder of a prominent aid worker.
- Iraq: Study Says 120,000 Died During War RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- A new report in “The Lancet” says at least 116,000 Iraqi civilians and more than 4,800 foreign troops died in Iraq between March 2003, and the withdrawal of U.S. forces in 2011.
- UN’s Western Sahara envoy sets out for North Africa next week UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- The United Nations envoy dealing with Western Sahara will travel to North Africa beginning next week.
- Obama in Mideast - Substance and Symbolism VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- As President Barack Obama arrives in Israel on the first leg of his Middle East trip next week, many Israelis are hoping his visit will reaffirm his commitment to Israel.
- Obama pledges more Iran talks, rebuffing Israeli push for military bid PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama has reiterated his pledge to negotiate with Iran on concerns over its nuclear energy program.
- Pakistan’s FM downplays US threats over gas project with Iran PressTV 15 Mar 2013 -- Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has downplayed Washington’s threats of imposing sanctions on Islamabad over a joint gas pipeline project with Iran.
- New Israeli Coalition Government Formed VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Key parties in Israel have reached an agreement with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on forming a governing coalition.
- Blast Kills Three In Karachi RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- Pakistani police say a bomb blast has killed three people and injured several others in Pakistan's biggest city of Karachi.
- Pakistan Parliament Completes Tenure VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Pakistan’s parliament, and federal and provincial governments voted to power in 2008, have completed their five-year constitutional term.
- Security of Christian communities “precarious” in Libya IRIN 15 Mar 2013 -- Various Christian communities in Libya, as well as some Muslim groups, have been feeling increasingly under pressure from hardline Islamist groups since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in October 2011.
- Kenya PM Filing Election Challenge Saturday VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- The runner-up in Kenya’s presidential election is filing a petition with the Supreme Court Saturday challenging the results.
- UN human rights monitoring team praises Kenya for successful election process UN News Centre 15 Mar 2013 -- A United Nations team deployed to monitor human rights issues during the Kenyan elections today praised the African country for its largely peaceful polls earlier this month.
- Zimbabweans Vote on Proposed New Constitution VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Zimbabweans vote Saturday on a new constitution after decades of using a charter given to them by former colonial power Britain.
- Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi Heckled at Mine Protest VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Burma’s Aung San Suu Kyi was heckled by protesters at a controversial copper mine project in Burma’s north this week.
- Presidential Memorandum - Deferred Enforced Departure for Liberians The White House 15 Mar 2013
- Pope Francis Meets with College of Cardinals VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- Pope Francis held an audience Friday with the men who elected him, telling the College of Cardinals not to give way to "pessimism."
- Pope Francis Urges Church To Avoid 'Pessimism' RFE/RL 15 Mar 2013 -- Pope Francis has urged the Roman Catholic Church not to give in to "pessimism" and to find new ways of spreading the faith to counter the declining numbers of worshippers.
- Chavez’s Body on Way to Military Museum RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2013 -- Thousands of Venezuelans lined the streets of Caracas to escort the body of late Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez to the Military Museum.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|