07 January 2013 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Jan 2013 [PDF]
- Afghan President Heads to Washington for Talks VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai is on his way to the United States for talks focused on Afghanistan's future after U.S. combat forces complete their withdrawal next year.
- Combined Force Detains Taliban Leader in Ghazni Province AFPS 07 Jan 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader, and detained a suspected insurgent in the Andar district of Afghanistan's Ghazni province today, military officials reported.
- AF legal team advises Afghans AFNS 07 Jan 2013 -- Members of the 451st Air Expeditionary Wing here are helping the Afghan air force Kandahar air wing leadership and legal office implement military justice and hold the wing's servicemembers accountable to military standards.
- US drone strikes kill 17 in NW Pakistan IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- At least 17 persons were killed in US drone strikes in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region on Sunday, regional tribesmen said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by the President in Nomination of Secretary of Defense and CIA Director The White House 07 Jan 2013
- Obama Nominates New Defense, Spy Chiefs VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- President Barack Obama on Monday nominated former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel to be his new secretary of defense. Obama also chose counterterrorism adviser John Brennan to head the CIA.
- Statement by Secretary Panetta on the Nomination of Chuck Hagel DoD 07 Jan 2013
- Obama Announces Nominees for Next Defense Secretary, CIA Director AFPS 07 Jan 2013 -- President Barack Obama today announced his nominations to serve as the next leaders of the Defense Department and Central Intelligence Agency.
- Panetta Lauds Nominees for Defense Secretary, CIA Director AFPS 07 Jan 2013 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today endorsed President Barack Obama's nominee to succeed him at the helm of the Pentagon.
- Obama Nominates New Chiefs for Pentagon, CIA RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2013 -- US President Barack Obama on Monday nominated former US Sen. Chuck Hagel as his next secretary of defense and John Brennan, a White House counterterrorism adviser, as the new head of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
- Obama Nominates New Defense, Spy Chiefs VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is putting the finishing touches on his national security team for his second term, announcing two controversial choices to head the Defense Department and the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Secretary Leon Panetta Congratulates New Japan Defense Minister Itsumori Onodera DoD 07 Jan 2013
- Army assesses electromagnetic vulnerabilities Army News 07 Jan 2013 -- The U.S. Army Research Laboratory, Survivability/Lethality Analysis Directorate's state-of-the-art Electromagnetic Vulnerability Assessment Facility here is used to conduct experiments that address the electromagnetic vulnerability requirements of the U.S. Army Weapon and Communication-Electronics Systems.
- Driver Training Revamped Army News 07 Jan 2013 -- Vehicle rollovers remain a serious concern for units deployed overseas. According to statistics compiled by U.S. Central Command, there were 618 tactical vehicle rollovers in Afghanistan between January 2009 and July 2012, resulting in 23 fatalities and 501 injuries.
- Army issues Sources Sought Notice to support NIE 14.1 Army News 07 Jan 2013 -- The U.S. Army, through the System of Systems Integration Directorate, announced that it is seeking interested industry and government sources with mature solutions to enhance existing network systems capabilities to participate in the Network Integration Evaluation 14.1 event, scheduled to take place in October/November 2013 at Fort Bliss, Texas, and White Sands Missile Range, N.M.
- Marine Corps radar repairs complete, final testing under way Army News 07 Jan 2013 -- Despite receiving the system weeks later than expected, technicians here recently completed repair of an AN/TPS-59(V)3 Tactical Missile Defense, Early Warning and Situational Awareness Radar System for the Marine Corps. It is now undergoing final testing at the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C. ahead of the scheduled deadline.
- USS Thach Departs San Diego for Deployment NNS 07 Jan 2013 -- Guided-missile frigate USS Thach (FFG 43) will depart San Diego for a scheduled six-month deployment to the 4th Fleet Area of Operations, Jan. 8.
- Maine, Ohio Earn 2012 Battle 'E' Awards NNS 07 Jan 2013 -- Two Commander, Submarine Group 9 submarines, Trident ballistic missile submarine USS Maine (SSBN 741) and guided-missile submarine USS Ohio (SSGN 726), were recognized Jan. 1 by Commander Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet as recipients of the 2012 Battle Efficiency Award (Battle 'E').
- Reservists to get help with travel vouchers AFNS 07 Jan 2013 -- Air Force Reserve Command is adding resources and changing business practices to make travel voucher processing easier for reservists.
- U.S., Canada Think Ahead to 'NORAD Next' AFPS 07 Jan 2013 -- More than a half century since it was established to confront the Cold War threat, North American Aerospace Defense Command is at a new crossroads as officials in the United States and Canada determine the capabilities it will need to confront emerging challenges and threats in the decades ahead.
- Team Battle Axe Welcomes Navy's First Female Air Wing Commander NNS 07 Jan 2013 -- Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3, assigned to the Harry S. Truman Strike Group, welcomed the Navy's first female CVW commander during CVW-3's change of command ceremony Jan 4.
- US Drone Found Floating in Philippines RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2013 -- The Philippine Navy said a US-made BQM-74E drone was found floating off the Ticao island in the eastern Philippines, the Indo-Asian News Service (IANS) reported on Monday.
- Unmanned J-6 fighter jets put on Fujian air base CNA 07 Jan 2013 -- A large number of old J-6 fighter jets that have been converted into unmanned attack aircraft are being stationed at Liancheng Air Base in Fujian province, according to the latest issue of Kanwa Defense Review.
- January 7, 2013 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 07 Jan 2013
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 1/7/2013 The White House 07 Jan 2013
- 7 January 2013 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 Jan 2013
- Iran supports Assad initiative for resolution of Syrian crisis: FM IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- Iran supports Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad's political initiative for the resolution of this country's crisis, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said in a statement released here on Sunday.
- Assad's initiative deserves regional, international support, FM official IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- Foreign Ministry Deputy for Arab and Africa Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian stressed the need to support the Syrian president's initiative, stressing the plan put forward by President Bashar al-Assad deserves regional and international support.
- Iran supports peace plan put forward by Syrian president IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- Iran on Monday backed the peace plan put forward by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to end violence and terrorism in Syria.
- Assad Speech Criticized For 'Empty Commitments' RFE/RL 07 Jan 2013 -- There is criticism in many capitals in response to a speech by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on January 6 in which he outlined a new peace initiative but called his opponents puppets.
- Washington Says Assad's Peace Plan 'Detached from Reality' RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's recently proposed peace plan is far from reality and proves again that he must resign from his post, Victoria Nuland, a spokesperson for the US Department of State, said.
- Iran 'Supports' Assad's Peace Plan RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2013 -- Iran has backed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's new peace initiative, rejected by the Syrian opposition and the West, the Foreign Ministery said on Monday.
- UN Secretary General 'Disappointed' by Assad's Peace Plan RIA Novosti 07 Jan 2013 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is disappointed by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's new peace initiative, rejected by the opposition and the West, his spokesman Martin Nesirky said on Monday.
- Syria: Ban disappointed that President's speech 'does not contribute' to ending suffering UN News Centre 07 Jan 2013 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was disappointed that a speech made by Syria's President Bashar al Assad on Sunday "does not contribute to a solution that could end the terrible suffering of the Syrian people," the UN chief's spokesperson said today.
- US: Assad's Plan 'Detached from Reality' VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- The United States said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's plan for a national reconciliation conference is 'detached from reality' and is an attempt to 'cling to power.'
- FEATURE: Drawing down - the end of a UN peacekeeping mission in Timor-Leste UN News Centre 07 Jan 2013 -- It was September of 1999 and Timor-Leste was convulsing through its latest spasm of violence.
- CAR Prepares for Peace Talks as Rebels Threaten Capital VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- Negotiations are set to open this week in Gabon's capital to try to find a peaceful solution to the month-long rebellion in the Central African Republic. A rebel delegation arrived in Libreville late Monday but the plane scheduled to take government officials, opposition leaders, and civil society members to the Gabonese capital was delayed.
- Draft act defines disputed islands as Taiwan's: foreign minister CNA 07 Jan 2013 -- The Republic of China has clearly defined the Spratly and Paracel islands as its territory in a draft bill, Foreign Minister David Lin said at the Legislative Yuan Monday in response to criticism that the country lacked the tools to stand up for its territory.
- Clash Reported Along Kyrgyz-Uzbek Border RFE/RL 07 Jan 2013 -- Tensions between the main ethnic groups of the Ferghana Valley flared again over the weekend, rekindling memories of clashes in southern Kyrgyzstan between Uzbeks and Kyrgyz in June 2010 that left hundreds dead and injured and caused widespread property damage.
- All Kyrgyz Hostages Released From Uzbek District Following Rioting RFE/RL 07 Jan 2013 -- All of the Kyrgyz citizens being held hostage after a border clash in Uzbekistan's Sokh exclave have been released.
- Google Chief, Former UN Ambassador Arrive In Pyongyang RFE/RL 07 Jan 2013 -- Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and former U.S. Ambassor to the United Nations Bill Richardson have arrived in North Korea on a controversial four-day visit.
- Iran will not let Resistance be weakened, Jazayeri IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- A military commander said Monday that Iran will not let the arrogant powers weaken resistance movement in the region.
- US unable to restrict Iran's soft power: Commander IRNA 07 Jan 2013 -- US is not able to restrict Iran's soft power by spreading Iranophobia, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces for Basij and Defense Culture Brigadier General Massoud Jazzayeri said here on Sunday.
- PAKISTAN: Growing risks for aid workers IRIN 07 Jan 2013 -- There was no warning when gunmen killed seven aid workers with local NGO Support With Working Solution (SWWS) in the Swabi District of Pakistan's Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Province on 1 January.
- Uganda Government Rejects Petition to Recall Parliament VOA 07 Jan 2013 -- A spokesman for Uganda's government has dismissed a petition by legislators to call parliament back into session to discuss tensions between the presidency and the legislature over the death of a lawmaker.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|