20 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Dec 2012 [PDF]
- Concluding 2012, Afghanistan's Neighbors Gird for 2014 VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- The Afghan army has been preparing to take over the country's security as NATO's 2014 deadline to withdraw all combat troops moves to within a year.
- Combined Force Arrests 15 Insurgents in Afghanistan AFPS 20 Dec 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested 15 insurgents in the Bati Kot district of Afghanistan's Nangarhar province during a search for a Taliban facilitator today, military officials reported.
- AFGHANISTAN: Power shortages hamper development IRIN 20 Dec 2012 -- A lack of regular electricity in Nangahar Province in eastern Afghanistan is undermining reconstruction efforts and pushing families back into poverty, say business leaders in the provincial capital, Jalalabad.
- U.S., NATO Forces Maintain Vigil in Kosovo AFPS 20 Dec 2012 -- Returned this week from a trip to Kosovo, the commander of NATO and U.S. European Command recognized the 5,000 NATO forces that continue to preserve the peace there and said he hopes to reduce their numbers in 2013 if the situation allows.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iwo Jima ARG, 24 MEU Return from Deployment NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- More than 4,000 Sailors and Marines from the Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) completed an eight-and-a-half-month deployment when the ships arrived at Norfolk Naval Station and Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Va., Dec 18-20.
- USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, USS Hue City, Carrier Air Wing-7 Return Home NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- More than 4,300 Sailors serving in the Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (IKECSG) returned to their homeports in Norfolk and Mayport, Fla., Dec. 19, following six months of operations in the U.S. 5th and 6th Fleet areas of responsibility.
- Stennis Supports Evaluation of New Materials for Flight Deck Jerseys NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- Sailors aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) were selected to participate in a four-month evaluation of the new design for flight deck working uniform shirts, or 'jerseys,' in an effort to meet the long term needs of personnel who work on and around the flight deck.
- USS Topeka Arrives at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- Attack submarine USS Topeka (SSN 754) and her crew of 13 officers and 120 enlisted personnel arrived Dec. 16 at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.
- NAVFAC Southwest Breaks Ground for $49.67 Million Rotary Aircraft Depot NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Southwest, Fleet Readiness Center (FRC) Southwest, and Naval Base Coronado community broke ground Dec. 10 for a rotary aircraft depot maintenance facility at Naval Air Station North Island.
- Panetta Memo Describes Possible Sequestration Effects AFPS 20 Dec 2012 -- While many remain hopeful that Congress and the administration will reach a deal that avoids sequestration, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has issued a memo describing the potential implications of going over the fiscal cliff.
- VMGR-252 Marines return home USMC News 20 Dec 2012 -- A detachment of more than 30 Marines with Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 252 returned to Cherry Point Saturday from a seven-month deployment with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
- MALS-40 activates for Afghanistan USMC News 20 Dec 2012 -- Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 40, commanded by Lt. Col. Ryan G. Goulette, was activated during a ceremony at Miller's Landing Wednesday.
- Navy Delivers Offshore Support Vessels to Iraqi Navy NNS 20 Dec 2012 -- The Iraqi navy and the U.S. Navy's Naval Sea Systems Command marked the delivery of two 60-meter Offshore Support Vessels (OSV 1/ OSV 2) to the Iraqi navy in a ceremony at the Umm Qasr naval facility, Dec. 19.
- MOD awards £258 million Sea King helicopter support contract UK MOD 20 Dec 2012 -- The MOD has agreed a £258 million contract to support Sea King helicopters, which will sustain 500 jobs across the UK.
- MOD launches new Skynet satellite UK MOD 20 Dec 2012 -- A new satellite which will provide secure military communications for UK Armed Forces has been successfully launched into space.
- India successfully test-fired N-capable Prithvi-II Missile IRNA 20 Dec 2012 -- Indian Army's Strategic Forces Command (SFC) successfully test-fired the Prithvi-II missile from the DRDO range facility at Chandipur off the Odisha coast Thursday.
- Putin Vows Unbiased Probe in Defense Corruption Case RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin expects an unbiased investigation into allegedly fraudulent deals on state property managed by Oboronservis, a company controlled by the Defense Ministry.
- Congress urges U.S. president to address Taiwan's F-16 shortfall CNA 20 Dec 2012 -- The U.S. Congress has been pushing President Barack Obama's administration again to help address Taiwan's shortfall in fighter aircraft.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 12/20/2012 The White House 20 Dec 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for December 20, 2012
- Indonesia to Get $400 Mln Arms Credit from Russia RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- Russia's Vnesheconombank (VEB) will provide Indonesia with a total of $399.5 million in credit to finance purchases of aircraft and related equipment from Russia's state-run arms export company Rosoboronexport.
- 20 December 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Dec 2012
- Despite progress of UN peacebuilding agenda, challenges remain, Security Council told UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations has made progress in its efforts to assist countries during the critical period after a conflict has ended, but challenges remain, as witnessed by the number of countries that have relapses in recent years, the Security Council was told today.
- 20 December 2012 - Press Conference by Secretary-General's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict United Nations 20 Dec 2012
- UN's Ban Sees No Sign Of End To Syrian War; Condemns Pakistan Killings RFE/RL 20 Dec 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says there doesn't seem to be any prospect for peace any time soon in the Syrian conflict.
- Syrian Opposition Denies Targeting Russians RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- Syria's opposition coalition on Thursday denied it has declared "open season" on Russian nationals.
- Moscow Urges UN Security Council to Protect Foreigners in Syria RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- A Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman called on the UN Security Council on Thursday to ensure the protection of foreign civilians in Syria.
- In latest update, UN independent panel finds more breaches of human rights law by parties to Syrian conflict UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- A United Nations independent panel investigating human rights violations in Syria has released a new update on the situation in the Middle Eastern nation, noting that violations continue unabated and reiterating the need for a political solution to the conflict there.
- Syrian Violence Becoming 'Overly Sectarian', Report Finds VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations is highlighting the civilian toll in the nearly two-year conflict in Syria, saying thousands have died in a crisis that has become increasingly sectarian in nature.
- Syrian Minister Hospitalized in Lebanon VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- Lebanese officials say a key aide to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is in the Lebanese capital to receive medical treatment for wounds suffered in a Damascus bomb attack last week.
- Could an Alawite State in Syria Prevent Post-Assad Reprisals? VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- A new report by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights offers disturbing evidence that the civil war in Syria is turning into a sectarian battle between the country's majority Sunni and minority Alawite Muslim communities.
- UN Security Council authorizes African-led intervention force in Mali UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- The Security Council today authorized the deployment of an African-led International Support Mission in Mali, to be known as AFISMA, for an initial period of one year to assist the authorities in recovering rebel-held regions in the north and restoring the unity of the country.
- UN Security Council Authorizes Foreign Troops to Mali VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council has authorized the deployment of foreign troops to help reunite Mali, but is demanding efforts toward political reconciliation, elections and the training of the army.
- At UN Rwanda genocide tribunal, former government minister sentenced to 35 years in jail UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- A trial chamber of the United Nations war crimes tribunal set up in the wake of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda today sentenced a former government minister, Augustin Ngirabatware, to 35 years imprisonment for genocide, direct and public incitement to commit genocide and rape as a crime against humanity.
- Malawi, Tanzania Seek Mediation Over Border Dispute VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- Tanzania and Malawi plan to seek mediation from former heads of state in Southern Africa to help resolve a long-running border dispute over Lake Malawi. The lake is believed to have rich oil and gas reserves.
- South Sudan: UN peacekeepers continue protecting civilians amid tense situation in town of Wau UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping operation in South Sudan reports that the situation in the town of Wau remains tense, following the arrival of some 5,000 people seeking safety at a UN base there yesterday, a spokesperson for the world body said today.
- On Myanmar visit, UN envoy meets civilians uprooted by Rakhine violence UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- A United Nations envoy, Vijay Nambiar, has wrapped up a visit to Myanmar during which he was able to meet with people displaced by the inter-communal violence this year in Rakhine state, as well as discuss with the Government how to address the problems facing the communities there.
- UN refugee agency cautions against stigmatizing refugees in wake of violence in Kenya UN News Centre 20 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency spoke out today against public statements in Kenya linking the presence of refugees in that country to recent violence – which the agency equally condemned.
- Security Council Condemns CAR Rebel Attacks VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- A rebel alliance in the Central African Republic has taken control of another town in Central African Republic.
- Analysis: Côte d'Ivoire needs top-down reconciliation IRIN 20 Dec 2012 -- Responsibility for reconciling Côte d'Ivoire's divided society after years of conflict, rebellion and instability rests largely with its leaders, but long-running political rivalries and mutual suspicion are raising tensions and blocking efforts to heal rifts, say analysts.
- Four US State Dept. Officials Out Over Benghazi Attack RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- The US State Department's diplomatic security chief has resigned and three other officials were removed from their posts in the wake of a withering report on the Sept. 11 attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that left the US ambassador to the country dead.
- Republican Senators Criticize Benghazi Embassy Security VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- Opposition lawmakers are criticizing the Obama administration for sending diplomats to the Libyan city of Benghazi without enough security. It follows an independent report into the September attack on the U.S. mission there that killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.
- Kerry: Congress Shares Blame for Benghazi Security Failure VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- The chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations committee says Congress bears some responsibility for the mistakes leading to the deadly September 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- US Hopes to Resolve Iran Nuclear Standoff in 2013 VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- Resolving Iran's nuclear standoff with the West is one of the major foreign policy challenges facing the second Obama administration. Sanctions imposed by the United States and European Union have hit the Iranian economy hard enough to possibly push Iran toward a diplomatic solution.
- Pres: Full implementing of subsidies law only way out of sanctions IRNA 20 Dec 2012 -- IRI President emphasizing only way for intact passage thru sanctions is full implementing of subsidies law said here Wednesday, 'There's nothing wrong with paying cash to people money earned from cut subsidies of fuel to manage their expenses themselves.'
- Nation will change enemy pressures to opportunities: President IRNA 20 Dec 2012 -- Nation is committed to change enemy's pressures and limitations to opportunities, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said here on Thursday.
- Explainer: Why Polio Remains Endemic In Afghanistan, Pakistan, And Nigeria RFE/RL 20 Dec 2012 -- A global multibillion dollar immunization campaign over the past few decades has made most of the world polio-free. But in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Nigeria the crippling disease remains endemic.
- Pakistani Clerics Condemn Attacks on Polio Workers VOA 20 Dec 2012 -- An alliance of Pakistani clerics on Thursday condemned the attacks on U.N.-backed anti-polio teams in Pakistan, as the death toll from the violence rose to nine.
- Iraqi President Arrives In Germany For Treatment RFE/RL 20 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi President Jalal Talabani has arrived in Germany for further treatment after suffering a stroke.
- Ariane-5 Rocket Puts Two Telecoms Satellites into Orbit RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2012 -- The Ariane-5 carrier rocket put Skynet 5D and Mexsat Bicentenario telecommunications satellites into orbit on Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|