29 November 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Nov 2012 [PDF]
- Panetta Calls for Substantial Post-2014 Presence In Afghanistan VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Defense officials say they have not decided how many troops to maintain in Afghanistan after a general pullout in 2014, but Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the remaining presence should be substantial.
- Transcom Addresses Afghanistan Redeployment Challenges AFPS 29 Nov 2012 -- After redeploying 33,000 surge forces and their equipment from Afghanistan nine days ahead of the presidentially mandated deadline, U.S. Transportation Command is assessing the lessons learned to improve its processes for ongoing drawdown operations.
- Panetta Outlines Objectives For Troops in Post-2014 Afghanistan AFPS 29 Nov 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today laid out three missions for the post-2014 troop presence in Afghanistan, and also made it clear the U.S. is not arming rebels fighting to topple the Assad regime in Syria.
- Return to Marjah: Marines work with much improved ANSF USMC News 29 Nov 2012 -- Marines with 3rd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 7, recently returned to southern Afghanistan, two years after their deployment to the Marjah area.
- UN relief official calls for boost in humanitarian support for Afghanistan UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- A senior United Nations official today called on the international community to step up its humanitarian support for Afghanistan to sustain the progress made so far in the country where thousands have suffered through 34 years of conflict and poverty.
- Combined Force Arrests District-level Taliban Leader AFPS 29 Nov 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a district-level Taliban leader in Afghanistan's Kandahar province today, military officials reported.
- Pakistan offers reward for info on Taliban spokesman IRNA 28 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has announced a reward for anyone who provides information about the Taliban spokesman.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta, Barak Discuss Iron Dome Success, Israeli Defenses AFPS 29 Nov 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak praised the performance of the Iron Dome air defense system during a press conference here today.
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Panetta and Minister Barak in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 29 Nov 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta, Israeli Minister of Defense Ehud Barak
- 2-13th Aviation Regiment QRC departs for OEF Army News 29 Nov 2012 -- Seventeen members of the 1st Aviation Brigade, 2-13th Aviation Regiment said goodbye to families and friends on Tuesday morning before departing for Fort Campbell, Ky., from Libby Army Airfield. The men will be gone for just over nine months in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, or OEF. Before their departure, Col. Brian Bennett, 1st Avn. Bde. commander, addressed the group, bidding them farewell and a safe, successful mission.
- 75th Fires Brigade leads combined arms exercise Army News 29 Nov 2012
- MEADS successfully intercepts air-breathing target at White Sands Missile Range Army News 29 Nov 2012 -- The Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS) detected, tracked, intercepted and destroyed an air-breathing target in its first-ever intercept flight test today at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. The test achieved all criteria for success.
- Eyes in the sky: HMLA-269 provides air support for MARSOC USMC News 29 Nov 2012 -- Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 269 provided aerial gun support for Marine Special Operations Command during a training exercise at Piney Island, N.C., Nov. 28.
- Remarks by Deputy Secretary Carter at the Von der Heyden Fellows Program Endowment Fund Lecture Series at Duke University, Durham, N.C. DoD 29 Nov 2012-- Presenter: Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter
- First X-47B UCAS Catapult Launch Makes Naval Aviation History NNS 29 Nov 2012 -- The X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator successfully completed its inaugural land-based catapult launch here Nov. 29, marking the start of a new era for naval aviation.
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard Improves Firefighting Plan NNS 29 Nov 2012 -- Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY) and the crew of USS Newport News (SSN 750) improved the ship's firefighting plan while the submarine is in dry dock at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, NAVSEA announced Nov. 29.
- Center for Security Forces to Host Review for SERE Training NNS 29 Nov 2012 -- The Center for Security Forces will host a Human Performance Requirements Review (HPPR) Dec. 4-5 for the Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) course of instruction.
- 'Fighting Tigers' Home From Dual-Site Deployment NNS 29 Nov 2012 -- The 'Fighting Tigers' of Patrol Squadron EIGHT (VP-8) began returning home, Nov. 27 following a six-month deployment to the U.S. Pacific Command and U.S. Southern Command areas of responsibility (AOR).
- The Future Looks Bright: ONR, Marines Eye Solar Energy NNS 29 Nov 2012 -- The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is looking to the sun for energy in an effort to help Marines do away with diesel-guzzling generators now used in combat outposts, officials announced Nov. 29.
- SECURITY: Landmine casualty rate dropping IRIN 29 Nov 2012 -- Amid the odd relapse, progress towards a world free of antipersonnel mines is inching forward. A decade ago, the weapon was responsible for at least 32 casualties daily; by 2011, the casualty rate had dropped to about 12 per day, the Landmine and Cluster Munitions Monitor (LCMM) said in its 2012 report, published on the 29 November.
- Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Three Russian warships entered Mumbai on Wednesday to hold joint naval exercises, code-named 'INDRA', with the Indian Navy from December 2.
- Navy, highly capable of providing national security: Defense minister IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Iranian Navy is highly capable of providing national security and defend its territorial waters, Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said here Thursday.
- Basij official: Weakening national economy in enemy's agenda IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Deputy Mobilization Basij Militia Force Commander in Cultural and Social Affairs said here Wednesday evening intensification of sanctions aimed at weakening our national economy is enemy's agenda.
- Navy commander: Iran sets new record in production of naval defensive equipment IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Navy commander Admiral Habibollah Sayari said on Thursday that the Islamic Republic of Iran has set a new record in mass production of naval defensive equipment.
- November 29, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 29 Nov 2012
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 11/29/2012 The White House 29 Nov 2012
- 29 November 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Nov 2012
- Ban urges increased support for UN fund helping countries emerging from conflict UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on Member States to increase their support to the United Nations Peacebuilding Fund, which provides financing for activities aiming to secure a lasting peace in countries emerging from conflict.
- UN chief and General Assembly President call on Israel and Palestinians to resume talks UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon today called on Israel and the Palestinians to find the 'political will and courage' to move ahead with talks aimed at establishing a lasting peace between them through Palestinian statehood and security for Israel.
- Palestinians Achieve 'State' Status at UN VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- The U.N. General Assembly has overwhelmingly endorsed a Palestinian Authority bid to upgrade its status to a 'non-member observer state.' The Palestinians sought the upgrade, despite stiff opposition and possible negative repercussions from Israel and the United States.
- Full text of Amb. Ron Prosor's speech to the U.N General Assembly VOA 29 Nov 2012
- On Day of Solidarity with Palestinians, Ban stresses urgency of reaching two-state solution UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today stressed the urgency of stepping up efforts to get the Middle East peace process back on track, and urged Israelis and Palestinians to show courageous leadership to reach a two-State solution.
- Analysis: Politics and humanitarianism in Israel-oPt IRIN 29 Nov 2012 -- 'We do aid not politics', has been the traditional mantra of the mainstream humanitarian community.
- Palestinian Statehood Bid Has Strong UN Support VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations General Assembly is expected to decide late Thursday whether to upgrade the status of the Palestinian Authority at the world body from an entity to a non-member state.
- Vote Due At UN On Palestinian Status RFE/RL 29 Nov 2012 -- The UN General Assembly is scheduled to vote on November 29 on a Palestinian resolution to upgrade their status at the world body.
- PA Optimistic About UN Status Upgrade Vote RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2012 -- The Palestinian Authority is convinced that the majority of UN member states will support the Palestinian bid to upgrade its UN status, the Palestinian ambassador to Moscow said on Thursday.
- Peacekeeper convoy from Golan fired upon in Syria, leaves four wounded – UN spokesperson UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- A United Nations convoy today came under fire close to the Damascus International Airport in Syria wounding at least four people, according to a UN spokesperson.
- Security Council must come together to solve crisis in Syria – UN-Arab League envoy UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- The Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States for the crisis in Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, today called on the Security Council to come together to adopt a plan that will constitute the basis of a political process in the Middle Eastern country, which has been wracked by violence for 21 months now.
- Government Cuts Internet Access Across Syria VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- The Syrian government imposed a wholescale Internet blackout Thursday along with severing phone service, leaving Syrians largely cut off from contact with the outside world.
- Russia Pressuring Assad for End to Violence – Syrian Opposition Group RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2012 -- Russia's leadership is pushing Damascus to stop military operations against the country's insurgency in order to enable a political solution to the standoff in Syria, a representative of a moderate Syrian opposition group said Thursday.
- Syria Launches Offensive Near Airport, Cuts Internet Access VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- Syrian forces launched a major offensive in Damascus near the country's international airport Thursday, and the government shut down Internet access across the country and slashed cell phone services in selected areas.
- 29 November 2012 - Press Conference by Deputy Special Representative, United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in Democratic Republic of Congo United Nations 29 Nov 2012
- Humanitarian needs could rise if situation in eastern DR Congo remains unresolved – UN UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- While immediate humanitarian needs for civilians displaced by the latest fighting in and around the city of Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) are under control, there are serious concerns for the long term, particularly if there is further violence and additional displacement, a senior United Nations official said today.
- As Rebels Exit Goma, New Concerns Arise Over Insecurity VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- As M23 rebels begin to withdraw from the city of Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, there are fears their exit will leave behind a security vacuum.
- DRC Rebels Looting Before Goma Withdrawal VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- Residents of the town of Sake in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo say M23 rebel soldiers have been looting homes and extorting money from businesses as they prepare to withdraw from the area.
- UN Court Acquits Former Kosovar Prime Minister, Two Others RFE/RL 29 Nov 2012 -- Former Kosovar Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj has returned to Kosovo after the UN war crimes court acquitted him of war crimes charges during the 1998-1999 conflict.
- UN Tribunal Clears Kosovo's ex-PM of War Crimes VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- A U.N. tribunal for the former Yugoslavia has cleared Kosovo's former prime minister, Ramush Haradinaj, of war crimes, following a second trial in The Hague.
- Iraq: UN envoy flags improved Kuwait links, with progress depending on 'restoration of confidence' UN News Centre 29 Nov 2012 -- Highlighting improvements in relations between Iraq and Kuwait, the United Nations top official in Iraq today said that progress will 'depend on the restoration of confidence between both sides' and encouraged further momentum from the two countries.
- NIGERIA: Failure to prosecute IRIN 29 Nov 2012 -- The major atrocities in northern Nigeria's violent insurgency have been widely reported: church bombings, including an attack on Christmas Day; attacks on government buildings, newspaper offices, and the UN building in the capital, Abuja. But these reports hardly do justice to the relentless daily toll of violence over the past two years.
- US Lawmakers Continue to Probe Benghazi Attack VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- U.S. lawmakers investigating the September terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya said they are troubled by inadequate security measures at the consulate as well as the lack of U.S. military intervention during the assault that killed four Americans. The Senate's Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs received a four-hour classified briefing from federal officials on Thursday.
- Obama's Possible Choice For Secretary Of State Fights For Senate Support RFE/RL 29 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice spent a second day on November 28 trying to win the support of Republican senators who have threatened to block her confirmation if President Barack Obama nominates her to succeed retiring Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- Egypt's Draft Constitution to Retain Islamic Law VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- A conservative-dominated panel writing Egypt's new constitution has retained the principles of Islamic law as the main source of legislation, hastily rushing through the approval process despite an opposition boycott and a deepening political crisis.
- Election Observers Readying Report on Somaliland VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- International election observers are gathering data following Wednesday's municipal elections in Somaliland. They hope to present their preliminary findings to the National Electoral Commission (NEC) on Monday. The observers were stationed at about 20 percent of the polling stations.
- Dy IRGC Chief: Resistance Economy best way to pass thru sanctions intact IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Deputy Commander in Chief of Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said here Wednesday paying due attention to resistance economy norms is the best strategy and work plan for annulment of effects of sanctions and passing thru them intact.
- Iran's strategy based on rational interaction with world: Larijani IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- Iran's human rights strategy is based on rational and wise interaction with the world, Mohammad Javad Larijani,Secretary General of the High Council for Human Rights Coucil of Judiciary Force said here Wednesday night.
- Amano: IAEA ready to reach agreement with Iran on new modality IRNA 29 Nov 2012 -- IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said on Thursday that IAEA expects to reach an agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran on the new modality plan proposed by the country to help resolve nuclear dispute.
- IAEA Chief Hopes Tehran Meeting Will Aid Diplomatic Efforts RFE/RL 29 Nov 2012 -- The UN's nuclear watchdog agency says it hopes a meeting in Tehran next month with Iranian officials will strengthen diplomatic efforts to end the nuclear crisis.
- Burma's Suu Kyi Offers to Mediate Mine Dispute VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has offered to mediate a dispute involving villagers and monks opposed to the expansion of a Chinese-backed copper mine in the country's northwest.
- Rights Group Criticizes S. Korean Security Law VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- The human rights group Amnesty International says a South Korean law that is meant to stop the spread of pro North Korean propaganda, limits freedom of speech. Thursday, the rights group released a report condemning the long-standing National Security Law and urging Korean politicians to abolish it. But, South Korea's next president will be unlikely to do so.
- S. Korea Carrier Rocket Launch Canceled RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2012 -- South Korea canceled the launch of its KSLV-1 carrier rocket on Thursday due to problems in its second stage, the Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said.
- New Crew of Space Station to Perform Two Spacewalks RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2012 -- International Space Station Expedition 34, which is to take off from the Baikonur Space Center in December, will perform two spacewalks under the Russian and US space programs.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|