28 October 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Afghan Uniformed Police assume responsibility for new headquarters Army News 28 Oct 2012 -- Afghan Uniformed Police in Daykundi province assumed responsibility for a newly-constructed headquarters Oct. 20.
- Deadly Bomb Attack Hits Pakistan Shrine RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Four people were reported killed and at least 25 injured by a remote-control bomb that exploded outside a shrine in the city of Nowshera, in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by the President on Hurricane Sandy, 28 October 2012 The White House 28 Oct 2012
- Obama Warns Hurricane 'Serious' As East Coast Braces For 'Sandy' RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has told Americans to take "very seriously" the arrival of Hurricane Sandy, as hundreds of thousands of residents were being evacuated from New York City.
- Panetta Appoints 'Dual' Commanders for Hurricane Relief AFPS 28 Oct 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has appointed “dual status” commanders in preparation for Hurricane Sandy.
- National Guard responds to Hurricane Sandy, monitors tsunami Army News 28 Oct 2012 -- As more governors declared states of emergency in advance of Hurricane Sandy, the National Guard stood ready to respond to the aftermath of the storm.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo Deploys New York National Guard to Respond to Hurricane Sandy Army News 28 Oct 2012 -- The New York Army and Air National Guard began deploying 1,175 Soldiers and Airmen to respond to Hurricane Sandy.
- Eastern US Braces for 'Superstorm' VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- The east coast of the United States is preparing for what weather forecasters expect to be one of the biggest storms ever to hit the mainland.
- Enterprise Completes Final Ammunition Offload Before Inactivation NNS 28 Oct 2012 -- USS Enterprise (CVN 65) Weapons Department completed the historic carrier's final ammunition offload Oct. 24-26.
- U.S. Navy, Marine Corps Civil Affairs Teams Display Solidarity during Mission NNS 28 Oct 2012 -- Navy and Marine Corps civil affairs teams joined forces for the first time while conducting a humanitarian assistance mission in Budaiya and Isa Town, Bahrain, Oct. 18-19.
- Land, sea, air the Army does it all Army News 28 Oct 2012 -- The goals of the exercise were to drive Abrams tanks directly onto the Five Forks and sail around the Persian Gulf while conducting multiple drills and cross-training for the soldiers aboard.
- Russian Military Inspectors Begin Surveillance Flight Over France RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- A group of Russian military observers begin on Sunday a four-day inspection mission in the skies of France under the Open Skies Treaty.
- Hezbollah Drone 'Not Iran's Latest Technology' RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi has said that the drone that was launched from Lebanon by Hezbollah and shot down by Israel earlier this month was not "the latest Iranian technology."
- Iran possesses highly advanced drones: Defense minister IRNA 28 Oct 2012 -- Minister of Defense Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi announced that Iran possesses highly modern drones much more advanced than the one recently flown by the Lebanese Hezbullah over the occupied lands.
- Foreign presence in Persian Gulf destabilizing: President IRNA 28 Oct 2012 -- Foreign presence in the Persian Gulf is a destabilizing factor, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said.
- President praises 15 navy commanders IRNA 28 Oct 2012 -- President Mahmood Ahmadinejad praised Navy commander and 14 other commanders and designers of sophisticated military equipment and arsenals.
- Iran armed forces to hold air mobility operation drill IRNA 28 Oct 2012 -- A senior Iranian Army commander says the country’s Ground Forces will launch an air mobility operation drill codenamed Zolfaghar 91 in the western part of the country.
- Air Strikes, Clashes in Syria After Truce Bid VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Syrian activists say government aircraft pounded opposition strongholds on the outskirts of Damascus and troops clashed with rebel fighters in several other areas of the country.
- Syrian Truce Enters Third Day RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- A truce in Syria between the government and rebels has entered a third day.
- Deadly Explosions in Iraq VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say twin bombings Sunday near Baghdad have killed at least two people and wounded several others, one day after attacks killed more than 30 people.
- Deadly Attacks Rock Iraq RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- About 30 people were killed and some 100 wounded in shootings and bombings near Iraq’s capital Baghdad and elsewhere in the country.
- Retaliatory Rockets Fired from Gaza After Israeli Air Strike VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- An Israeli air strike on the Gaza Strip before dawn Sunday has hit two Palestinian militants, killing one and wounding the other.
- One Palestinian Killed in Israeli Airstrike on Gaza Strip RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- An Israeli airstrike on the south of the Gaza Strip has left at least one Palestinian dead and another wounded.
- Suicide Attack on Nigerian Church Raises Fears of Sectarian Violence VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Nigerian authorities say eight people were killed and 100 more injured when a suicide bomber attacked a Catholic church during morning services.
- Nigerians Rampage After Suicide Bombing Of Church RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Rioters rampaged through the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna following a suicide-bomb attack on a Catholic church that left three people, including the bomber, dead on October 28.
- UN Says 22,000 Displaced in Burma Fighting VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- The top U.N. official in Burma says 22,000 people have been displaced in a week of sectarian fighting between Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in Burma's Rakhine state.
- Azerbaijan, Armenia FMs Discuss Nagorno-Karabakh Settlement RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers Elmar Mammadyarov and Edward Nalbandian and other officials have met in Paris to discuss the conflict over breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Background Briefing En Route to Algiers US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2012
- Chinese Premier’s Family Deny “Hidden Wealth” Report RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- Lawyers for Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao’s family have rejected as untrue reports of the family’s “extraordinary hidden riches.”.
- China Suspends Local Industrial Project After Protests VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Authorities in eastern China have suspended construction at a petrochemical complex after days of protests by residents who fear that it will pollute the region.
- Rodong Sinmun on Psychological Warfare of S. Korea KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- The psychological warfare resorted to south Korea is a revelation of its ambition of "unification of social systems".
- Banquet Given to Mark 60th Anniversary of Kim Il Sung Military University KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- A banquet was given at the People's Palace of Culture on Sunday, the 60th anniversary of Kim Il Sung Military University.
- Kim Il Sung Military University Greets Diamond Jubilee KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- Kim Il Sung Military University greets its 60th birthday Sunday.
- Exit Surveys: Strong Opposition Showing in Ukraine Vote VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Exit surveys of voters in Ukraine’s parliamentary elections indicate that the nation’s three opposition parties performed strongly, winning about half of the seats allotted by party lists.
- Ruling Party Leads in Ukraine Exit Polls VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Early exit polls show that Ukraine's ruling party, Regions Party of President Viktor Yanukovych, leading in Sunday's elections for parliament with the largest share of votes.
- Ukraine’s Ruling Party Leads Parliamentary Elections – Exit Pools RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- The ruling Party of Regions, headed by Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich, is leading in the parliamentary elections in Ukraine according to an exit-poll.
- Polls Close In Eagerly Watched Ukrainian Elections RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Polls have closed in Ukraine in a key electoral test for President Viktor Yanukovych's ruling party, with his allies claiming victory and holding a lead of several percentage points over their opposition challengers.
- Ukraine Tests Young Democracy in Parliamentary Election VOA 28 Oct 2012 -- Ukrainians are voting in parliamentary elections seen as a test of the democratic credentials of a nation that seesaws between European democracy and Russian authoritarianism.
- President Urges 'Stability' As Ukrainians Go To Polls; Cyberattack Claims Arise RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Voters in Ukraine are casting their ballots for a new parliament at the midterm point in President Viktor Yanukovych's presidency.
- Berlusconi Threatens to Bring Down Monti Government RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2012 -- Silvio Berlusconi, Italy’s former prime minister and the leader of the center-right People of Freedom party, the largest in parliament, has threatened to bring down the Mario Monti government.
- New Georgian Leadership To Reopen Investigation Of Former Prime Minister’s Death RFE/RL 28 Oct 2012 -- Justice minister in Bidzina Ivanishvili’s new cabinet, Tea Tsulukiani said the investigations into the deaths of banker Sandro Girgvliani and Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania will be reopened.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|