14 October 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army UH-1H finds new home with Air Force AFNS 14 Oct 2012 -- The Inter-American Air Forces Academy at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland recently landed a new training tool that upgrades the helicopter maintenance courses it offers to students from Latin American partner nations.
- USS Porter Rejoins Enterprise Carrier Strike Group NNS 14 Oct 2012 -- When guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) and the rest of the Enterprise Carrier Strike Group departed Norfolk, Va., March 11, the crew was prepared for their deployment.
- USS Montpelier and USS San Jacinto Pierside NNS 14 Oct 2012 -- The U.S Navy submarine and Aegis cruiser that collided off the East Coast October 13, arrived in port Oct. 14.
- No Injuries as Two U.S. Navy Vessels Collide Off Eastern US Coast NNS 14 Oct 2012 -- There were no injuries as a U.S. Navy submarine and an Aegis cruiser collided off the coast of the Eastern United States earlier this afternoon.
- 7ID chaplain assumes stole, vows to 'elevate religious support' within BDEs Army News 14 Oct 2012 -- Surrounded by family, friends and fellow chaplains, Chaplain Lt. Col. Darryl Hollowell was bestowed great spiritual responsibility as the 7th Infantry Division's chaplain's stole was placed onto his shoulders.
- Turkey Bans Syrian Flights From Airspace, After Syrian Ban RFE/RL 14 Oct 2012 -- over their refusal to support firm UN action on the Syrian crisis.
- Syrian Troops Kill Saudi Officer in Mop-Up Operation RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2012 -- Syria's government troops have killed a Saudi military officer in a mop-up operation in the northwestern province of Idlib, Press TV reported on Sunday, citing Syrian media.
- Turkey Dismisses Security Dialog with Syria RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2012 -- Turkey's Foreign Minister has called on Syria to resolve its internal problems before any further dialog on security issues with Ankara is considered.
- UN-Arab League envoy holds talks on Syrian crisis with Turkish officials UN News Centre 14 Oct 2012 -- The Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States on the Syrian crisis, Lakhdar Brahimi, has just concluded a visit to Turkey where he discussed the continuing violence in Syria with President Abdullah Gul and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
- Turkey Bans Syrian Passenger Planes From Its Airspace VOA 14 Oct 2012 -- Turkey says it has banned Syrian passenger planes from Turkish airspace in the latest sign of growing confrontation between the two neighbors.
- Taiwan-Japan fishery talks to highlight fishing rights CNA 14 Oct 2012 -- The Fisheries Agency under the Council of Agriculture said Sunday that it will protect the fishing rights and traditional fishing grounds of local fishermen at fishery talks with Japan that could be resumed in November, despite the ongoing territorial dispute over the Diaoyutai Islands.
- UN envoy alarmed by reports of Israeli settlers attacking Palestinian farmers UN News Centre 14 Oct 2012 -- A top United Nations envoy today said he was alarmed at recent reports that Israeli settlers have repeatedly attacked Palestinian farmers in the West Bank, destroying hundreds of olive trees at the height of the harvest season.
- Hu Jintao likely to quit as head of China's military: analysts CNA 14 Oct 2012 -- Analysts in Taiwan and Hong Kong said it is possible that Chinese President Hu Jintao will step down from the chairmanship of the Central Military Commission, which controls the People's Liberation Army (PLA), in the upcoming once-in-a-decade leadership transition in Beijing.
- FM spokesman: Iran's nuclear stance irrevocable IRNA 14 Oct 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Sunday stressed that Iran's stance on its absolute nuclear rights is irrevocable.
- Supreme Leader: Not following western models prerequisite for formation of Islamic life style IRNA 14 Oct 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that having faith and restraining from imitating western life style would help establish and promote Islamic life style.
- Former Cambodian King Norodom Sihanouk Dies VOA 14 Oct 2012 -- Chinese state media reports that Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanouk, one of Southeast Asia's defining leaders, has died in Beijing. He was 89. King Sihanouk led Cambodia to independence, but war and his role in the murderous reign of the Khmer Rouge marred his life and times.
- Russia Launches US Telecoms Satellite RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2012 -- Russia's Proton-M carrier rocket with a US telecoms satellite, Intelsat-23, blasted off on Sunday from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, a Russian Federal Space Agency spokesman said.
- Austrian Makes Recordbreaking Skydive RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2012 -- Austrian Felix Baumgartner has completed a record-breaking skydive, jumping from a helium balloon 39 kilometers above the Earth.
- Skydiver Breaks Record for Highest Jump VOA 14 Oct 2012 -- Austrian Felix Baumgartner has become the first skydiver to break the speed of sound.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|