29 August 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Aug 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Weapons Supplier AFPS 29 Aug 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban weapons supplier during an operation in the Andar district of Afghanistan’s Ghazni province.
- Op DAAS seizes weapons from insurgent stronghold UK MOD 29 Aug 2012 -- Soldiers from the 12th Mechanized Brigade Reconnaissance Force have plunged deep into insurgent caves in the Upper Gereshk Valley of Afghanistan to locate and remove a large collection of weapons.
- Five Australian Troops Killed In Afghanistan RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has offered condolences to Australia following the deaths of five Australian soldiers in Afghanistan.
- Five Afghan Soldiers Killed In Suicide Attack RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Officials say five Afghan Army soldiers have been killed in an insurgent roadside bombing and suicide attack in eastern Afghanistan.
- Karzai Fires Intelligence Chief RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Officials say Afghan President Hamid Karzai has fired his intelligence chief, Rehmatullah Nabeel.
- Americans, British long-time partners united in Operation Enduring Freedom AFNS 29 Aug 2012 -- The 62nd Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron has a unique role where Airmen from the British Royal Air Force and the US work together to support Operation Enduring Freedom.
- At Least 9 Soldiers Killed In South Waziristan Attack RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- At least nine Pakistani soldiers have been reported killed in an attack by Taliban militants in remote western tribal region on Afghanistan's border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Hails Russia’s Readiness for Nuclear Cuts RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- The United States welcomes Moscow’s willingness to further reduce nuclear weapons.
- Russia Calls on U.S. to Ratify Nuclear Test Ban Treaty RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- US ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty will speed up the document’s entry into force.
- DOD Announces Charges Sworn Against Al Darbi DoD 29 Aug 2012
- Army mobilizes for first financial audit in its history Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- The Army is gearing up for an audit of its "Statement of Budgetary Resources" by 2014 and an audit of all financial statements by 2017.
- Pacom Strives to Strengthen Alliances, Build Partnerships AFPS 29 Aug 2012 -- The commander of U.S. Pacific Command said he’s committed to building on them as he implements the new defense strategy focused on the region.
- Pacific Strykers find versatile place to train in Korea Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- 1-27th Infantr is training at Rodriguez Range with 2nd Infantry Division forces, is part of the greater Stryker force in the Pacific region.
- Peleliu ARG Completes Certification Exercise NNS 29 Aug 2012 -- The Peleliu Amphibious Ready Group and embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit returned to homeport San Diego, after completing certification exercise off the coast of Southern California Aug. 28.
- Military Advisors Reflect on Vietnam War Experiences AFPS 29 Aug 2012 -- Two former military advisors who served with Vietnamese units during the Vietnam War spoke about their experiences in the Pentagon.
- II Marine Expeditionary Force participates in Exercise Atlantic Response USMC News 29 Aug 2012 -- Approximately 100 Marines with II Marine Expeditionary Force participated in Exercise Atlantic Response 12 aboard Auxiliary Landing Field Bogue.
- Blackhawks conduct training as ramp-up to NIE 13.1 Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- 1-1st Cavalry held a company command post exercise at East Fort Bliss' Mission Training Center, from Aug. 21 - Aug. 25, as part of a ramp-up to Network Integration Exercise 13.1.
- Northern Command Assists With Hurricane Isaac Efforts AFPS 29 Aug 2012 -- U.S. Northern Command is coordinating Defense Department support to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and state and local response activities in response to Hurricane Isaac.
- Louisiana Guard responds to Hurricane Isaac landfall Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- The Louisiana National Guard has pre-staged about 680 troops and assets across the New Orleans metropolitan area in order to better protect the community and its citizens as Hurricane Isaac churns across the Gulf coast.
- Hurricane Hunters provide critical data during major storms AFNS 29 Aug 2012 -- The Air Force Reserve's 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, better known as the "Hurricane Hunters," wrap up their mission flying through Hurricane Isaac.
- DOD Bolsters Biosurveillance Diagnostics, Monitoring AFPS 29 Aug 2012 -- Defense Department officials routinely work to protect the nation from terrorist attacks and weapons of mass destruction.
- Fort Bragg research examines value of virtual reality as PTSD treatment Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- Professionals from the departments of Defense and Health and Human Services are conducting a study to see if use of virtual reality therapy will help service members coming home from combat environments combat PTSD.
- Capacity crowd turns out to discuss $7 billion renewable energy contract request for proposals Army News 29 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. Army and Corps of Engineers pre-proposal conference for the $7 billion Renewable and Alternative Energy Power Production for DoD Installations Multiple Award Task Order Contract.
- No Plans to Suspend Mistral Deal over Syria – France RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- France will not use a $1.2 billion contract to build Mistral class amphibious assault ships for the Russian Navy to put pressure on Moscow over the Syrian issue.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, August 29, 2012 US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 29 August 2012 United Nations 29 Aug 2012
- Global ban on nuclear tests vital for achieving more secure world – UN chief UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban stressed the importance of a global ban on nuclear tests to achieve a safer and more secure world.
- UN Security Council to Meet on Syria Crisis VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council will hold a high-level session on Thursday to discuss the humanitarian situation in Syria.
- Syria's Assad: Government Facing 'Global Battle' VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said his government is fighting a "regional and global battle" and that more time is needed to win the conflict against rebels trying to overthrow him.
- Assad Says 'Time Needed To Win' Syrian Fight RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his troops need more time to win the war against opposition forces.
- Debate Continues in Turkey Over Syria, Regional Standing VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Turkey is not sending top officials to this week's Non-Aligned Movement summit conference in Tehran, where Syria's conflict is likely to be a main topic.
- Merkel, Monti Urge Syrian Opposition to Prepare to Take Power RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti called on the Syrian opposition to prepare to take over power in the country.
- Syria's Assad Rules out Buffer Zones RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has dismissed as "unrealistic" Turkey's call for humanitarian buffer zones within Syria to protect refugees.
- Moscow Calls for Probe into 'Terrorist Acts' in Syria RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- Moscow insists that terrorist acts in Syria should be investigated with UN and Arab League representatives.
- Lebanese FM: Contact group formation helpful to solve Syrian crisis IRNA 29 Aug 2012 -- Visiting Foreign Minister of Lebanon Adnan Mansour welcomed a plan by Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi to form a contact group to settle Syrian crisis calling it a helpful move.
- Kidnapped Iranians in Syria, in good health IRNA 29 Aug 2012 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian said all Iranians kidnapped in Syria are in good health according to the reliable sources.
- Analysis: Palestinian refugees from Syria feel abandoned IRIN 29 Aug 2012 -- In Jordan and Lebanon, the UN agency for Palestine refugees has registered nearly 5,000 Palestinian refugees from the 17-month conflict in Syria.
- UN force holds talks with Israeli, Lebanese officials on border issues UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- The head of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon chaired a meeting with senior officials from the Lebanese and Israeli militaries.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Clinton's Travel to the Cook Islands, Indonesia, China, Timor-Leste, Brunei, and Russia US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2012
- Disputed Islands May Dominate Upcoming APEC Summit VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- China and Japan are locked in an increasingly bitter dispute over islands in the East China Sea, a topic bound to dominate this week's trip to Asia by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- Frontier Island Residents Fear Another N. Korean Attack VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- It has been 19 months since North Korea shelled a frontier island, killing four South Koreans.
- Japan, North Korea Meet for First Time in 4 Years VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Japan and North Korea have held their first talks in four years, in an effort to overcome decades of tension and mistrust.
- Taiwan, Japan have dialogue mechanism for Tiaoyutais: minister CNA 29 Aug 2012 -- Foreign Minister Timothy Yang said that Taiwan and Japan already have a mechanism for dialogue on the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea.
- Kenya Lawmaker Displeased With Cleric Death Inquiry VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- A Kenyan legislator says parliamentarians are displeased with the pace of a police investigation into the murder of a Muslim cleric allegedly linked to a Somali militant group, al-Shabab.
- Men Convicted of Beating Mali Leader Sentenced to 6 Months VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Six men convicted of severely beating Mali's interim president have been sentenced to six months in prison for the attack.
- United Nations alarmed over reports of further massacres in eastern DR Congo UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- Two senior United Nations officials spoke out over reports of further massacres of civilians, beginning in early August, in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Resumed Progress toward Camp Ashraf's Peaceful Closure US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2012
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes transfer of Iranian exiles to new refugee camp UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations top envoy in Iraq hailed the relocation of another group of 400 Iranian exiles to a new location.
- Iraqi Attacks Kill General, Four Police RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Iraqi officials say five security officers, including a general, have been killed in a series of attacks.
- Assassination Of Daghestan's Sufi Spiritual Leader Raises Specter Of New Violence RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- As Daghestan's Sufis buried their spiritual leader on August 28, the sea of almost entirely male faces seemed to stretch to the horizon around his grave in the small town of Chirkeisk.
- As Hostage Crisis Unfolds, Saakashvili Pledges To Maintain Georgian Stability RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- President Mikheil Saakashvili has visited the site of the gunfight that officials say has killed at least three members of Georgia's security forces and 11 Islamic militants.
- Georgia Says 11 Militants Killed on Russian Border RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- Eleven militants and three special forces personnel were killed on Wednesday near the Georgian-Russian border.
- Two Groups of Hostages in Georgia Freed RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- Georgian Interior Ministry units continue an operation to free hostages from an armed group that crossed into Georgia from Russia’s Dagestan.
- Amnesty Urges Balkans to Investigate War Missing VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Amnesty International is calling on Balkan governments to investigate the fate of some 14,000 people who are still unaccounted for since the region's conflicts in the 1990s.
- Fresh Call For Probe Of Balkan War Disappearances RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Human rights watchdog Amnesty International has urged authorities in Balkan states to investigate the fate of some 14,000 people still missing from the region's conflicts of the 1990s and to punish those responsible for forced "disappearances."
- Republican Platform Outlines Tough China Stance VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- The Republican party has adopted a platform that is strongly critical of China, even as Chinese state media slammed the party's presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, for having what it termed a "Cold War mentality."
- U.S. presidential candidate supports arm sales, Taiwan Relations Act CNA 29 Aug 2012 -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney supports the Taiwan Relations Act and is opposed to President Barack Obama's stance of not selling Taiwan advanced F-16 C/D jet fighters.
- Republicans Officially Nominate Romney VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney was officially nominated as the Republican Party's presidential candidate Tuesday.
- Republicans Nominate Romney For President RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- Republicans have officially nominated Mitt Romney for president at the party's national convention in Tampa, Florida.
- Secretary-General Ban arrives in Tehran, meets with Iranian leaders UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban finished a series of meetings with Iranian officials, including President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Ahmadinejad issued permission for NAM guests to visit Natanz IRNA 29 Aug 2012 -- FM Salehi: President Ahmadinejad has issued permission for the Non-Aligned Movement meeting guests to visit Natanz nuclear facility.
- Press Statement on Amir Hekmati US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2012
- Egyptian President's Iran Trip Signals New Priorities VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi goes to Iran Thursday, the first visit by an Egyptian leader since Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution.
- Presidential Memorandum - Delegation of Certain Functions and Authority under Section 5(a) of the Tom Lantos Block Burmese Junta's Anti-Democratic Efforts Act of 2008 The White House 29 Aug 2012
- KENYA: Politics, pastureland and conflict IRIN 29 Aug 2012 -- Thousands of people have fled their homes amid renewed clashes between rival communities in Kenya’s North Eastern Province, in which some 17 people were killed, according to officials.
- Welcoming ‘landmark’ events, Security Council urges swift end to Somali transition UN News Centre 29 Aug 2012 -- The Security Council welcomed the recent adoption of Somalia’s provisional constitution and the inaugural meeting of its new parliament and the appointment of that body’s speaker.
- Ghana’s NDC to Nominate President Mahama to Lead Party in December Poll VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Ghana President John Dramani Mahama will be officially nominated as the ruling National Democratic Congress’ presidential candidate in preparation for the December elections.
- Angola's Next Elections Could Be Last for Dos Santos VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Voters in Angola go to the polls Friday to choose the nation's next president.
- GUINEA: Deadlock over parliamentary elections IRIN 29 Aug 2012 -- Political battles have intensified in Guinea after the government thwarted an opposition rally to demand free parliamentary elections, raising fears that a return to stability and development after years of dictatorship and misrule could be in jeopardy.
- Pressure Mounts on Gambia to Stop Executions VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Gambia is coming under more pressure to halt all executions, as fears rise the government could kill dozens of prisoners in coming weeks.
- German Authorities Defend Belarus Police Training RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- A political storm in Berlin over why German police were training Belarusian security forces as late as last year is increasingly turning into a spat between Germany and the EU.
- Ecuador Rejects Extradition Request For Belarusian Political Refugee RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- A judge on Ecuador's highest court has rejected an extradition request from Belarus for a former police investigator who is wanted by Belarus authorities for alleged fraud and extortion.
- Ukraine High Court Denies Tymoshenko Appeal VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Ukraine's high court has rejected former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko's appeal against her conviction on charges of abuse of office.
- Ukrainian High Court Rejects Tymoshenko Appeal RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- The Ukrainian Specialized Supreme Court has rejected former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko's appeal against her abuse-of-office conviction and accompanying seven-year jail sentence.
- Ukrainian Court Rejects Tymoshenko’s Appeal RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2012 -- Ukraine’s High Court upheld on Wednesday the conviction of jailed former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko to seven years in prison for abuse of office.
- Kim Jong Un Pays Tribute to Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il KCNA 29 Aug 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission, visited the statues of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il at the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces to pay tribute to them.
- China Pushes Tibet Tourism in Theme Park Project VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- Just outside Tibet’s capital, Lhasa, the Chinese government is building a $4.7 billion theme park that critics describe as a fairy tale universe that trivializes Tibetan culture and glosses over the nation’s troubles.
- High Gold Prices Bring Chinese into Ghana's Mines VOA 29 Aug 2012 -- A recent influx of Chinese nationals into Ghana’s gold mining sector is raising concerns among policy makers and the country's citizens.
- Arctic Oil Rush Poses Environmental Risks And Challenges RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- As the Arctic ice sheet melts away to a record low level this summer, oil companies are rushing in through newly opened shipping routes to stake claims and explore previously inaccessible areas for new drilling possibilities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|