02 August 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 02 Aug 2012 [PDF]
- Alabama Guard Soldiers tackle Afghanistan convoy missions Army News 02 Aug 2012 -- The roads of Afghanistan present many challenges, whether it's driving through a rocky mountainous terrain, a crowded intersection or looking for hidden improvised explosive devices by the roadside.
- Afghan Intelligence Says Foreign Spy Rings Busted In Government RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- The Afghan intelligence service claims to have arrested senior government officials who spied for neighboring countries.
- Combined Force Detains Several Suspected Insurgents AFPS 02 Aug 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force conducted an operation to arrest a Taliban leader in the Andar district of Afghanistan's Ghazni province today, military officials reported.
- Afghan Forces Foil Taliban Attack RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- At least eight Taliban fighters have been killed in a seven-hour gun battle in Kabul launched as the insurgents planned an attack in the capital, Aljazeera said on Thursday, citing Afghan officials.
- Major Differences Persist for Pakistan, US VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- The commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, General John Allen, met Thursday with Pakistan's top military commander General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani. The two countries continue to disagree about how to deal with militants based along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
- Allen Meets With Pakistani Military Chief AFPS 02 Aug 2012 -- Marine Corps Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the International Security Assistance Force, met in Islamabad, Pakistan, today with Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Pakistan's chief of army staff.
- Task Force Stems Chemical Trafficking in Asia-Pacific AFPS 02 Aug 2012 -- A little-known organization with U.S. Pacific Command is bringing together military and law-enforcement capabilities to combat drug-related transnational crime in the Asia-Pacific region that has a direct impact on U.S. security.
Defense Policy / Programs
- President announces nomination for AF under secretary AFNS 02 Aug 2012 -- President Barack Obama announced Aug. 1 that he intends to nominate Eric Fanning to be the next Under Secretary of the Air Force.
- Senate confirms General Welsh as next Air Force chief of staff AFNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Gen. Mark A. Welsh III, a 36-year veteran, will be the twentieth Air Force chief of staff, according to a Senate confirmation vote Aug. 2.
- NAS PAX River Showcases Unmanned Aircraft NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWCAD) highlighted recent progress in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) as part of the Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons program, July 31, at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.
- Hale, Woodson Detail Defense Health Reprogramming Request AFPS 02 Aug 2012 -- The Defense Department’s June 29 request to Congress to move $708 million in excess funds from the military health budget to other budget areas does not shortchange military health programs, Pentagon officials said.
- French, US Marines Head to the Mountains for Training USMC News 02 Aug 2012 -- U.S. Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit stationed at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, and French forces from the 5th Marine Regiment participated in an assault climbers course here July 19 - 30.
- SEWIP Block 1B3 Enters Low Rate Initial Production NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. Navy's Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program (SEWIP) Block 1B3 was approved to enter low-rate initial production, July 23.
- SERMC TSRA Teaming Efforts Optimize Bradley's INSURV Preps NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Personnel from the Navy's Southeast Regional Maintenance Center (SERMC), located in Mayport, Fla., recently teamed with ships force members to perform a Total Ship Readiness Assessment (TSRA) on the USS Robert G. Bradley (FFG 49) in preparation for the ship's Inspection and Survey (INSURV) scheduled for July 30-Aug. 2.
- Cobra Hydrodynamic Bow Bulb Testing Completed at NSWCCD NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Carderock Division researchers completed two weeks of hydrodynamics testing to optimize the size and shape of bow bulbs aboard DDG 51-class ships.
- Navy Consolidates CBR Defense Projects to Achieve Savings NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Two of the Navy's surface warfare centers responsible for chemical, biological and radiological (CBR) warfare agent detection have partnered together in an effort to streamline processes and reduce total ownership costs, Naval Surface Warfare (NSWC) Dahlgren Division officials announced Aug. 2.
- Coastal Riverine Force Establishes Squadron NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Coastal Riverine Squadron (CORIVRON) 4 was established Aug. 1, during a ceremony aboard Joint Expeditionary Base (JEB) Little Creek-Fort Story.
- Luke AFB selected for F-35 pilot training AFNS 02 Aug 2012 -- It's official, the F-35 is coming to Luke.
- Readout of Secretary Panetta's Meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah DoD 02 Aug 2012
- Pittsburgh Small Business to Build New Navy Reserve Building NNS 02 Aug 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Midwest awarded a two-year, $11-million contract to a Pittsburgh, Pa.-based small business joint venture July 31, to build a new training and administrative headquarters for local Navy Reservists.
- Russia Could Deploy Unmanned Bomber After 2040 - Air Force RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- Russia could deploy a 'sixth-generation' pilotless strategic bomber aircraft after 2040, Long-Range Aviation Commander Lt . Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev said on Thursday.
- Air Force to Get 400 Modernized Mi-8 Helicopters by 2020 RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- The Russian Air Force will take delivery of up to 400 modernized Mi-8 battlefield support helicopters by 2020, service spokesman Col.Vladimir Drik said on Thursday.
- Navy receives two minehunters from U.S. CNA 02 Aug 2012 -- Two refitted coastal minehunters purchased from the United States were delivered to Taiwan Thursday, beefing up the country's naval defense capabilities, the Navy said that day.
- Minehunters protect drifting ship in pirate waters UK MOD 02 Aug 2012 -- While Royal Navy warships protect the London Olympics, others have rushed to prevent a pirate attack in the Middle East.
- HMS Chiddingfold ready to go back to work UK MOD 02 Aug 2012 -- Royal Navy minehunter HMS Chiddingfold is back in the water after spending eight months in dry dock for a significant upgrade.
- MOD calls for ideas on IED detection UK MOD 02 Aug 2012 -- Ministry of Defence scientists are inviting UK industry and academia to showcase their innovative ideas for detecting improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
- First Boeing C-17s for IAF to touch down in India by mid-2013 IRNA 02 Aug 2012 -- The first of India's 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III heavy-lift military aircraft that would add strategic depth to the IAF will arrive in India next year well on time.
- India successfully develops SLBM for 'INS Arihant' IRNA 02 Aug 2012 -- India has successfully developed its first submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) for the indigenous nuclear submarine 'INS Arihant', joining an elite club of nations possessing such weaponry.
- Turkish Army Holds Drills on Syria Border RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- The Turkish army is conducting exercises with ground forces and tanks near its border with Syria, national media reported on Thursday.
- Gaggle aboard Air Force One en route Orlando, FL, 8/2/2012 The White House 02 Aug 2012
- August 2, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2012
- 2 August 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Aug 2012
- 2 August 2012 - Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for August United Nations 02 Aug 2012
- Syria: Kofi Annan resigns as UN-Arab League Joint Special Envoy UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today announced the resignation of the United Nations-League of Arab States Joint Special Envoy for the Syrian crisis, Kofi Annan.
- Syria regrets Kofi Annan's resignation IRNA 02 Aug 2012 -- Syrian Foreign Ministry in a statement issued Thursday night expressed regret over the resignation of Kofi Annan as the special envoy of the United Nations and the Arab League in Syrian affairs.
- Security Council to meet on humanitarian side of Syrian crisis in August UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- With 'military logic winning the day' in Syria and the United Nations observer mission there unlikely to be renewed, the Security Council will consider the plight of the three million Syrians in need of humanitarian aid, the Permanent Representative of France, which hold's the body's rotating presidency for August, said this afternoon.
- Syria: amid increase in violence, UN peacekeeping chief warns of 'main battle' in Aleppo UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping chief today highlighted the ongoing fighting in the city of Aleppo, noting that UN observers continue to try to carry out their work as the 'spiral of violence' throughout Syria increases.
- UN's Annan Draws Sympathy, Criticism as Syria Mission Fails VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- After months of shuttle diplomacy, international envoy Kofi Annan is giving up his bid to resolve Syria's 17-month-long conflict.
- White House Dismisses Reports of Aid to Syrian Rebels VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- White House officials on Thursday dismissed reports that President Barack Obama signed an order to send U.S. aid to Syrian anti-government forces. The administration announced it is sending more humanitarian aid to Syria and neighboring countries.
- Panetta Pledges Help to Jordan for Syrian Refugees AFPS 02 Aug 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today pledged to explore ways to continue U.S. help in providing humanitarian aid to those affected by violence in Syria.
- IRAQ-SYRIA: As Kurds enter the fray, risk of conflict grows IRIN 02 Aug 2012 -- The flag of Kurdistan is draped over the walls of public buildings in Afrin in northern Syria: After the security forces left the small town near the Turkish border two weeks ago, the Syrian banners have all but disappeared.
- Syrian Security Forces Kill At Least 35 In Damascus Suburb Raid RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- Syrian activists say that a raid by government security forces on a Damascus suburb has killed at least 35 people and that some of the victims were tortured and killed execution-style.
- Kofi Annan to Quit as UN-Arab League Envoy to Syria RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- Kofi Annan is quitting his post as the UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Thursday.
- Russia to Oppose UN Assembly Syria Resolution – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- Russia will not support a UN General Assembly draft resolution on Syria proposed by Bahrain, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, as it 'intrudes into the UN Security Council's prerogatives,' the Foreign Ministry said in a statement issued on Thursday, just a day before the vote is scheduled.
- Three million Syrians in need of food, crops and livestock assistance – UN UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- Nearly three million Syrians need food, crops and livestock assistance, according to a recent assessment carried out by the United Nations and the Syrian Government.
- UN Syria Envoy Resigns VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- Kofi Annan is stepping down as U,N.-Arab League peace envoy for Syria, United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon announced Thursday as battles raged throughout Syria.
- Syrian Conflict Creates Food Insecurity for Millions VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- A new report finds the conflict in Syria is having a devastating impact on the country's food, crop and livestock production. A recent assessment by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, the World Food Program and Syria's Ministry of Agriculture notes up to three million people will need assistance during the coming year.
- Al-Qaeda Resurgent In Iraq On The Back Of Syrian Turmoil RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- Al-Qaeda is back in Iraq, a fact underscored by a wave of spectacular attacks this summer.
- Security Council reiterates demand on renegade soldiers to cease hostilities in DR Congo UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- The Security Council today reiterated its demand that the group of renegade soldiers known as the 23 March Movement (M23) immediately cease efforts to destabilize the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and voiced their deep concern at the worsening humanitarian situation in the region.
- International response to Malian refugee crisis severely underfunded – UN top official UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- In the midst of a visit to Burkina Faso, a United Nations top official today urged countries to provide support for the severely under-funded operation for the large number of refugees fleeing Mali.
- UN to air drop food assistance to refugees in South Sudan area with limited access UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today announced it plans to air drop lifesaving assistance to refugees located in parts of South Sudan which have limited infrastructure.
- Over 129,000 Palestinian families to receive food aid from Turkey UN News Centre 02 Aug 2012 -- More than 129,000 families will benefit from an in-kind food donation from the Turkish Government worth $6.6 million, the United Nations agency assisting Palestinian refugees announced today.
- Clinton to Focus on Security in Uganda, S. Sudan VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton begins the East Africa leg of her 10-day tour with visits to South Sudan and Uganda Friday.
- Bangladesh Orders Suspension of Aid to Rohingya Refugees VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- Bangladesh is ordering international humanitarian groups to stop providing aid to ethnic Rohingya refugees who have fled deadly communal violence in neighboring Burma.
- Basij fully prepared to confront enemies: IRGC's chief commander IRNA 02 Aug 2012 -- Commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolution's Guard Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said that a new formation within the Basij (volunteer forces) known as Salehins' circles is a way for all-out confrontation with the enemies of the country.
- Defense Min dismisses US Republican candidate's anti-Iran rhetoric as misleading public opinion IRNA 02 Aug 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Thursday said US Republican Presidential candidate's anti-Iran rhetoric as misleading public opinion from US internal problems.
- U.S. Congress Passes New Sanctions Against Iran RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. Congress nearly unanimously passed on Wedneday a new package of sanctions against Iran punishing insurance and shipping companies and banks which help Iran to export its oil.
- UN Chief Urges Iranian Exiles To Move From Iraqi Camp RFE/RL 02 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations chief has urged 1,200 Iranian exiles to follow an order to leave a camp in northern Iraq and resettle at a new camp near Baghdad.
- Spain Arrests 3 Suspected al-Qaida Members VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- Spain has arrested three alleged members of the al-Qaida terrorist network. Madrid says the suspects may have been plotting an attack in Spain or in another European country.
- Suspected Al-Qaeda Members Arrested in Spain RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- Spanish police arrested three suspected members of the al-Qaeda terrorist group on Wednesday, confiscating explosives and poisonous substances that could be used in terrorist attacks, Spain's Interior Ministry said in a statement on Thursday.
- Egypt Names Cabinet, Keeps Veteran Defense Minister VOA 02 Aug 2012 -- Egypt's incoming Prime Minister Hisham Qandil announced the formation of his 35-member Cabinet Thursday. Veteran defense minister and head of Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, will retain his post in the new government.
- Roscosmos Announces Tender for Moon Rocket Design RIA Novosti 02 Aug 2012 -- The Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) announced a ten-million ruble ($300,000) tender on Thursday to develop a blueprint of a heavy rocket-carrier that would be capable of carrying manned spacecraft to the moon, according to the official website that tracks state purchases.
- SOUTH SUDAN: Preparing for Ebola - or not IRIN 02 Aug 2012 -- South Sudan is worried about the spread of Ebola, an incurable disease which has killed 16 people in neighbouring Uganda over the past few days.
- UGANDA: Containment worries as Ebola numbers rise IRIN 02 Aug 2012 -- Health officials in Uganda's western Kibaale District are struggling to deal with an outbreak of Ebola, as the number of suspected cases stretches local health systems.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|