09 July 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jul 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Detains Haqqani Leader AFPS 09 Jul 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force detained a Haqqani network leader in the Terayzai district of Afghanistan’s Khost province.
- Afghan and American forces deliver humanitarian aid to Shorabak Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- The 3rd Zone Afghan Border Police, together with units from Combined Task Force Buffalo, successfully cleared and secured 120 kilometers of rugged terrain and unimproved roadways in Shorabak, Afghanistan.
- U.S.-Afghanistan Alliance Important to DOD, Spokesman Says AFPS 09 Jul 2012 -- The U.S. government’s designation of Afghanistan as a major non-NATO ally is “extremely important” to the Defense Department.
- Alleged Taliban Execution Shatters Image Of 'Taliban-Free' Province RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- How did Afghanistan's Parwan Province come to be the target of international condemnation over the public execution of a young woman for adultery?
- Karzai Strongly Condemns Public Execution of Afghan Woman VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the apparent public execution of a young woman by the Taliban, according to Afghan officials.
- Karzai Renews Call for Dialogue with Taliban VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Afghanistan's president Hamid Karzai has renewed his call for talks with the Taliban, one day after international donors pledged $16 billion in aid for the reconstruction of his country.
- Karzai Claims Taliban Willing To Talk To Government RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says the Taliban has for the first time expressed interest in talking with his U.S.-backed government.
- NATO Transit via Russia 'to Begin in August' RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- NATO will start using a Russian air base in the Volga region city of Ulyanovsk on August 1 to transport supplies to and from Afghanistan.
- Belleau Wood Marines conduct historic transfer of authority in Helmand province USMC News 09 Jul 2012 -- In December 2011, Regimental Combat Team 6 arrived in northern Helmand province to support Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Afghan Air Force accepts more operations, maintenance responsibility Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers turned over operations and maintenance responsibilities for 10 more buildings to Afghanistan's 205th Air Wing on Kandahar Airfield, July 7.
- UN Aid Workers Attacked in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Unknown gunmen have attacked a group of United Nations child protection agency workers in northern Afghanistan, injuring one officer.
- Corps of Engineers to improve electrical distribution in Helmand province Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- Two U.S. Army Corps of Engineers districts combined their resources to award a critically important project for providing reliable electric power from the Kajaki Dam power house.
- Gunmen Kill Seven At Pakistani Army Camp RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- The Pakistani military says six soldiers and a police officer have been killed in an attack by gunmen on an army camp near Islamabad.
- Pakistan's Hardline Activists Protest Reopening of NATO Routes VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Thousands of hardline religious activists marched to Pakistan’s capital to protest the government's decision to re-open NATO supply routes into Afghanistan.
- Anti-NATO marchers set to enter Islamabad IRNA 09 Jul 2012 -- Thousands of supporters of Pakistani religious and political parties, protesting restoration of supply line for NATO forces in Afghanistan, are scheduled to enter the capital Islamabad.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putin Worried Over Europe and ‘Anti-Russian’ US Plans RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Russia’s President Vladimir Putin once again voiced his concerns over a U.S. bill penalizing Russian officials for human rights abuses and Washington's plans for a missile defense system based in Europe.
- US Navy Presses Forward with Biofuels VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The U.S. Navy is going ahead with plans to convert much of its fleet to expensive biofuels despite opposition from members of Congress.
- Truman Performs High Speed Rudder Test NNS 09 Jul 2012 -- The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) conducted a full power run and rudder swing checks during sea trials July 8.
- Transportation detachment receives own 'big haze grey ship' Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- The Soldiers of the 163rd Transportation Detachment took responsibility of the Logistical Support Vessel Lt. Gen. William B. Bunker June 29.
- Robotics rodeo showcases new technologies Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- More than 40 vendors and five universities showcased nearly 75 different technologies at Fort Benning's McKenna Urban Operations Complex.
- Computer simulations to train Soldiers on howitzers Army News 09 Jul 2012 -- Two Soldiers and two Marines made their virtual debut last month while helping Picatinny engineers create a computer trainer for the M777A2 Lightweight 155mm Towed Howitzer.
- Arizona Airmen help Japanase rebuild air defense AFNS 09 Jul 2012 -- Japan's airmen look to reconstitute the country's air defenses - learning to fly the F-16 Fighting Falcon here with the Arizona Air National Guard.
- USS Jason Dunham Visits Ukraine, Participates in Sea Breeze 2012 NNS 09 Jul 2012 -- USS Jason Dunham arrived in Odessa, Ukraine to participate in Exercise Sea Breeze 2012, July 7, during the ship's maiden deployment.
- High Speed Vessel Swift Departs Kenya After APS Visit NNS 09 Jul 2012 -- High Speed Vessel Swift hosted training with Kenyan Sailors during a two-day port visit that ended July 7 in support of Africa Partnership Station East 2012.
- Pacific Partnership 2012 Welcomes New Participants NNS 09 Jul 2012 -- Nearly half way through the Pacific Partnership 2012 mission, another wave of participants from various countries and non-governmental organizations joined the ship's team while in port in Subic Bay, Philippines, July 7.
- Hue City Sailors Celebrate Freedom with French Allies During Port Visit NNS 09 Jul 2012 -- USS Hue City departed Cannes, France July 7, after a four-day port visit highlighted by a special ceremony honoring the heroics of World War II U.S. aviators
- 15 years of Distinctive Partnership between NATO and Ukraine NATO 09 Jul 2012 -- Fifteen years ago, on 9 July 1997, the Charter on a Distinctive Partnership between NATO and Ukraine was signed.
- RNAS Culdrose team deploys on counter-piracy operation UK MOD 09 Jul 2012 -- A team from Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose has deployed to the Indian Ocean to join the fight against piracy, people-trafficking and drugs.
- Royal Marines get essential Medical & Dental facilities UK MOD 09 Jul 2012 -- The Defence Infrastructure Organisation has delivered new Medical & Dental facilities for 42 Commando Royal Marines, one of three elite battalion-sized units which make up 3 Commando Brigade.
- Taiwan Navy investigating crashed drone CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- The Navy said that it is investigating a target drone that crashed into the ground in the eastern county of Taitung earlier in the day during a major live-fire missile drill.
- Crashed aircraft believed to be target in military drill CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- A drone that crashed in eastern Taiwan is believed to have been a target in a major military exercise that took place in Pingtung County earlier in the day.
- Most missiles hit targets in live-fire drill, despite drone problems CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- Most of the missiles in a major live-fire military exercise in the southern county of Pingtung were fired successfully to hit the targets.
- Taiwan military holds major live-fire missile exercise CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's military forces held a major live-fire missile exercise in the southern county of Pingtung, as part of efforts to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 7/9/2012 The White House 09 Jul 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, July 9, 2012 US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for July 09, 2012
- Russia Keen to Be Seen on Airshow Radar RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Russia is eager to demonstrate it still produces cutting edge aerospace technology at the Farnborough show, which runs July 9-15.
- Russia, AugustaWestland to Jointly Build Light Helicopter RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Russian Helicopters, which designs and manufactures civil and military rotorcraft, will jointly produce a new light helicopter with Europe's AugustaWestland.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 09 July 2012 United Nations 09 Jul 2012
- DOD Official: Assad Regime Must End ‘Wanton Murder’ AFPS 09 Jul 2012 -- Defense Department officials are closely monitoring events in Syria, including military exercises.
- Annan to arrive in Tehran for consultations on Syria IRNA 09 Jul 2012 -- United Nations special envoy on Syria Kofi Annan will arrive in Tehran later in the day for consultations with senior Iranian officials.
- Annan Heading To Iran After Syria Meetings RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- United Nations-Arab League peace envoy Kofi Annan says he and Syrian President Bashar Assad have agreed on an "approach" to end the violence in Syria.
- Syrian President and UN-Arab League envoy agree on approach to ending violence UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad and the Joint Special Envoy for the United Nations and the League of Arab States for the Syrian Crisis, Kofi Annan, agreed on an approach to ending the violence.
- Annan To Meet Assad Over Peace Plan RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- International envoy Kofi Annan has been holding talks with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad in Damascus.
- Russia to Halt Arms Shipments to Syria VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- A senior Russian defense official said Moscow will no longer sell any weapons to Syria until the situation there calms down.
- No Russian Arms Supplies to Syria ‘Until Stabilization’ RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Russia will not deliver any new types of weapons or sign any military contracts with Syria until the situation there stabilizes.
- Problem of Assad’s Departure 'Secondary' - Opposition Group RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- The issue of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s departure from power is secondary, while the main problem to be addressed at the moment is how to ensure transition from violence to a new, democratic stage in Syria’s development.
- Assad Failed to Listen to Opposition – Syrian Dissident RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Michel Kilo, a Syrian writer and veteran of the opposition scene, said President Bashar al-Assad has failed to take note of opposition demands for more than a decade.
- Cambodia Says ASEAN Ministers Agree to 'Key Elements' of Sea Code VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Cambodia says Southeast Asian foreign ministers have moved closer to agreement on guidelines for preventing territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
- South China Sea High on ASEAN Agenda VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Senior Southeast Asian officials are pursuing a long-term solution to competing claims for the South China Sea this week.
- ECOWAS Technical Team Monitoring Mali Security Crisis VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- An official of the Economic Community of West African states says the group’s technical team is assessing the situation in Mali to help the sub-regional bloc resolve the security crisis in that country.
- Mali Creates 'Elite Force' to Protect Interim Leaders VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Mali's government says it has formed an "elite force" to protect the country's interim leaders, seven weeks after an attack on the interim president.
- Briefing: South Sudan one year on from independence IRIN 09 Jul 2012 -- As South Sudan marks its first year of independence on 9 July, room for optimism looks limited.
- Ban congratulates South Sudan on first anniversary of independence UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon extended his best wishes and congratulated the people of South Sudan on the first anniversary of their country’s independence.
- South Sudan Celebrates First Independence Day VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- People in South Sudan have celebrated in the capital Juba and elsewhere to mark the country's first year as an independent nation.
- Somali Elders Stall Political Transition Over Constitution Concerns VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Time is running out for Somalia to end its long-running political transition and elect a new president in accordance with a U.N.-backed plan.
- With transitional deadline near, UN envoy urges Somalis to focus on their country’s future UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- Top United Nations political official for the East African nation called on all Somalis to help their country on its path to peace and stability.
- UN peacekeeping mission concerned by M23 situation in eastern DR Congo UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo is concerned by the security situation in the country’s east.
- Peacekeepers Vow to Protect Eastern Congo City From Rebels VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The U.N. military mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo says it will use all the means at its disposal to protect the eastern city of Goma and its half-million inhabitants from possible attack by rebels.
- Press Conference by Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Libya Elections, 09 July 2012 United Nations 09 Jul 2012
- UN envoy praises Libyan election UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Libya said the country’s weekend election – its first free poll in almost half a century – was an “extraordinary achievement”.
- UN chief congratulates Libyan people on first free elections in almost five decades UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has congratulated the Libyan people for the national election, the country’s first free poll in almost half a century.
- UN Calls Libyan Election 'Extraordinary Achievement' VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has called Saturday’s election in that country an extraordinary achievement.
- International Monitors Praise Libyan Legislative Elections RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- International officials and election monitors have hailed Libya's July 7 National Assembly elections.
- UN Ready to Cooperate with New Libyan Authorities - Chief RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- The United Nations is ready to cooperate with the new Libyan leadership for the sake of justice and reconciliation of Libyan nationals.
- Staying the course NATO 09 Jul 2012 -- It is not always making headlines, but NATO’s continued role in Kosovo is steadily following its course, out of the lime-light and despite underlying tensions.
- Mladic Genocide Trial Reopens in The Hague VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The war crimes trial of former Bosnian Serb commander Ratko Mladic on Monday heard its first witness - a man who escaped a mass execution in 1992.
- International Criminal Court Set to Issue First Sentence VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The International Criminal Court is set to hand down its first sentence Tuesday, in the case of convicted Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga.
- Egypt's President and Military on Collision Course? VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Egypt's newly elected president Mohamed Morsi appears on a collision course with the country's powerful military generals.
- Top Egyptian Court Upholds Its Decision To Disband Parliament RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- Egypt's Supreme Court has upheld its decision to disband parliament.
- No Appeal On Egyptian Parliament Dissolution – Constitutional Court RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- The Egyptian Constitutional Court said it would not change its ruling on dissolving the country’s parliament.
- Corruption Trial Of Mubarak's Sons Postponed RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- An Egyptian court has postponed hearings of a case against the sons of former strongman Hosni Mubarak until September 8.
- Two Killed After Saudi Shi'ite Cleric Arrested RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- Saudi Arabia has announced the deaths of two men following protests in the eastern Shi'ite region.
- Azerbaijani Ex-President Returns From Exile RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- Azerbaijan's first head of state, Ayaz Mutalibov, has returned to Baku after two decades of exile in Russia.
- Aung San Suu Kyi Makes Debut in Burma's Parliament VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has made her historic debut in parliament.
- Putin Introduces Measures to Curb Political Opposition VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- For months, presidential candidate Vladimir Putin had to put up with protests. Now, President Putin is fighting back.
- Russia’s Highest Court Clears WTO Accession RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- Russia’s Constitutional Court has ruled legitimate the country’s WTO accession protocol following a challenge by the opposition.
- Paris To Resubmit Bill On Armenian Genocide Denial RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- France plans to vote on a new bill that would criminalize denying that the 1915-16 mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks was genocide.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|