25 June 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Jun 2012 [PDF]
- Corps of Engineers to improve access to water, power in southern Afghanistan Army News 25 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. military and its coalition partners may be drawing down their combat missions in Afghanistan, but the next two years will continue to be busy for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Afghanistan Engineer District-South.
- 'Dragon' Brigade's female engagement teams stays busy in Paktika Province Army News 25 Jun 2012 -- The 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, hasn't been in Afghanistan for long, but its female engagement team, or FET, is already busy at work.
- Combined Force Detains Taliban Explosives Expert AFPS 25 Jun 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force detained a Taliban explosives expert in the Gardez district of Afghanistan's Paktia province yesterday, military officials reported.
- RAF protecting Camp Bastion UK MOD 25 Jun 2012 -- Personnel from Number 5 RAF Force Protection Wing, based at RAF Lossiemouth, have now been deployed at Camp Bastion for two months where they have responsibility for providing security at the main British base in Helmand province.
- Colorado reserve unit called in to fight wildland fires AFNS 25 Jun 2012 -- The Air Force Reserve Command's 302nd Airlift Wing here received word June 24 that it was tasked to provide Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System, or MAFFS, support to the ongoing Colorado wildland fires.
- Guard Wing Activates to Aid Firefighting Effort AFPS 25 Jun 2012 -- Two Wyoming Air National Guard C-130s and crews equipped with the U.S. Forest Service's Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System will arrive at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo., today to support wildland firefighting efforts in the Rocky Mountain region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Carr Conducts Underway Replenishment with USNS Sacagawea NNS 25 Jun 2012 -- USS Carr (FFG 52) conducted an underway replenishment (UNREP) with USNS Sacagawea (T-AKE 2) June 23, while deployed to the Caribbean Sea.
- NAVFAC Southwest Awards $100 Million Contract for Facilities Support Services NNS 25 Jun 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Southwest awarded a $100 million contract June 19 to five contractors for operation, maintenance and repair of facilities at locations within the NAVFAC Southwest area of responsibility (AOR).
- NAVFAC Southwest Awards $12.3 Million Contract For Vehicle Maintenance Covers NNS 25 Jun 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southwest awarded Allen Engineering Contractor Inc. of San Bernardino, Calif. a $12.3 million contract June 15 for the design and construction of tracked vehicle maintenance covers at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms.
- Africom Commander Details Current, Emerging Threats AFPS 25 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Africa Command's top military officer today detailed existing and emerging threats from extremist organizations on the continent in a speech at the African Center for Strategic Studies here.
- US Military Expands Presence in Africa VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- The commander of U.S. forces for Africa, Army General Carter Ham, said Monday that the U.S. military is increasing its operations on the continent as terrorist groups begin to work closer together to carry out attacks in the region.
- Air Force awards $960 million in small business IT contracts AFNS 25 Jun 2012 -- The Air Force is announcing the award of 12 contracts worth up to $960 million that will make it quicker and easier for the warfighter to obtain innovative information technology services and capabilities covering the full spectrum of operations and missions.
- Panetta Commends Egyptian Military for Supporting Elections AFPS 25 Jun 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta commends Egyptian Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi, the country's top military officer, and his staff for supporting a secure, free and fair election in Egypt, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said today.
- Army chief talks Warfighter, future force during Fort Hood visit Army News 25 Jun 2012 -- The future Army force must be able to respond to complex missions quickly with flexibility and adaptability in all formations, explained Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Ray Odierno, June 22, at Fort Hood.
- TRADOC commander outlines transition to Army of 2020 Army News 25 Jun 2012 -- literally -- kids would graduate from basic training, go right into the 3rd (Infantry Division) and deploy,' Cone said. 'We are returning now -- across the board -- to a more balanced approach of maintaining a warrior ethos, maintaining the lessons of the last 10 years -- but at the same time, changing the curriculum.'
- Remarks by Defense Secretary Panetta at the Defense Department and U.S. Olympic Committee Warrior Recognition Ceremony DoD 25 Jun 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- 'New AFNIC' offers cyber advantage AFNS 25 Jun 2012 -- 'Cyber Innovation. Mission Success.' This is how the 'New' Air Force Network Integration Center officials sum up what their organization provides to the Air Force and other mission partners.
- Destroyer Squadron 50 Changes Command NNS 25 Jun 2012 -- Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 50 held a change of command ceremony, on board Naval Support Activity, Bahrain, June 20.
- NATO to Hold Urgent Meeting on Syria VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Turkey is asking its NATO allies for a tough response to Syria's downing of one of its aircraft on Friday. Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Arinc says that at a hastily-arranged NATO meeting Tuesday, his country will ask that the shootdown be considered an attack on the entire alliance. That conclusion could trigger a joint military response. But experts do not expect Tuesday's meeting to actually lead to war.
- Indian Navy to get third indigenous stealth frigate INS Sahyadri IRNA 25 Jun 2012 -- The Indian Navy will add teeth to its surface combatants' fleet with the induction of the indigenous stealth frigate INS Sahyadri on July 21 in Mumbai.
- Russia Reflags Syria Arms Ship RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- A Russian ship purportedly carrying helicopter gunships to Syria, which was forced to return to port, will now operate under a Russian flag, the ship's owner, Femco, said on Monday.
- Russian Navy Holds on to Its Syria Base RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- Russia has no plans to abandon its naval base in Tartus, Syria, Navy chief Vice Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Monday.
- Bulava 'De Facto' Enters Service – Navy Chief RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- The Bulava sea-based ballistic missile has de facto entered service, Navy chief Vice Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Monday.
- Russia's Coast Guard to Get New Patrol Ship RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- Russia's coast guard will receive the first serial Project 22460 new-generation patrol ship on Tuesday, the vessel's manufacturer said.
- Taiwan reviewing U.S. proposal for F-16 A/Bs upgrade CNA 25 Jun 2012 -- Taiwan is reviewing a proposal submitted by the United States for the retrofit of Taiwan's F-16 A/B jet fighters, military officials said Monday.
- IRGC commander: Enemies frightened by IRGC missiles IRNA 25 Jun 2012 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Monday that enemies are frightened by missiles of the IRGC.
- Rafsanjani: Iran is not after nuclear arms IRNA 25 Jun 2012 -- Chairman of Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Monday Iran is not after nuclear arms under any circumstances.
- Army Commander: Sanctions ineffective on IR Iran IRNA 25 Jun 2012 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said that imposition of sanctions by the global arrogance has made more talents to flourish in Iran.
- June 25, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2012
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney en route New Hampshire, 6/25/12 The White House 25 Jun 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for June 25, 2012
- Sukhoi Aircraft Maker Posts Record Revenues RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- Sukhoi, Russia's leading producer of civilian and military aircraft, posted revenues of 47.8 billion rubles ($1.45 billion) in 2011 a record figure since the company's establishment, according to Sukhoi's financial statements posted on its website on Monday.
- 25 June 2012 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 25 Jun 2012
- At Security Council meeting, UN officials highlight key role in protection of civilians UN News Centre 25 Jun 2012 -- Highlighting the growing number of incidents where civilians are targeted in armed conflict, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today drew attention to the key role of the Security Council in dealing with the issue, while urging new approaches to be considered.
- Turkey Toughens Response to Syria's Downing of Military Jet VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Turkey has toughened its response to Syria's downing of a Turkish military jet last week, saying it will ask fellow NATO members to consider the incident a Syrian attack on the whole alliance.
- Turkish Fighter Shootdown Concerns Panetta, Press Secretary Says AFPS 25 Jun 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta shares the State Department's deep concern over the June 22 shootdown by Syrian forces of a Turkish F-4 fighter and two Turkish pilots, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said today.
- EU Imposes New Syria Sanctions RFE/RL 25 Jun 2012 -- The European Union has imposed fresh sanctions on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime over its 15-month-long crackdown on the opposition.
- EU Condemns Syria's Downing of Turkish Jet, Urges Probe RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- The foreign ministers of 27 EU members states condemned on Monday Syria's shooting down of a Turkish military plane and urged a thorough investigation into the incident.
- Over 30 Syrian Army Defectors Escape to Turkey RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- Thirty-three Syrian army defectors have fled into Turkey overnight, the Turkish state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Monday, quoting officials.
- Turkish Cabinet to Discuss Syrian Attack Against Jet VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Turkey's Cabinet is to discuss the downing of a Turkish military jet last week by Syria, while Western diplomats continue their condemnation of the attack.
- EU Warns Against Military Escalation in Syria VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- The European Union is warning against a military escalation in Syria, even as it condemns the country for shooting down a Turkish military jet in international airspace last week.
- ICRC Asks Syrian Government for Access to Homs VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- The president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Jakob Kellenberger, says the ICRC renewed its appeal to the Syrian government Monday for access to the besieged city of Homs to evacuate the wounded and sick. He says the ICRC also needs agreement from opposition groups for the life-saving mission to go forward. The humanitarian group released a new report on its global work.
- Boat Ramming Incident Reported in South China Sea VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- The Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary said Monday there are no Philippine or Chinese vessels inside Scarborough Shoal, which has been the site of a months-long standoff between the two countries that each claim the area. However authorities are still closely monitoring the region and investigating a still unexplained deadly ramming of a Philippine fishing boat.
- UN calls on South Sudan to develop broad plan to curb inter-communal violence UN News Centre 25 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations today called on South Sudan to develop a comprehensive plan for curbing violence in Jonglei state, as it released the findings of an investigation into inter-communal attacks that claimed hundreds of lives there in 2011 and early 2012.
- UN Report Says South Sudan Tribal Violence Intensifying VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) says inter-communal violence in Jonglei state beginning last year was perpetuated, in part, by hate speech and the proliferation of weapons. A new UNMISS human rights report says the government failed to act fast enough to stop the violence.
- Press Conference by Rwanda's Foreign Minister United Nations 25 Jun 2012
- DRC: North Kivu displaced need more help IRIN 25 Jun 2012 -- Humanitarians are struggling to meet the basic needs of over 200,000 people recently displaced by clashes in North Kivu Province, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Access has been limited by the mountainous and volcanic terrain coupled with widespread, shifting insecurity.
- MYANMAR: Uneasy calm in Rakhine IRIN 25 Jun 2012 -- An uneasy calm prevails in Sittwe, the capital of Myanmar's northern Rakhine State, following weeks of communal violence between Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims.
- UN tribunal transfers case of former Rwandan mayor to national authorities UN News Centre 25 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations tribunal trying key suspects implicated in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda today transferred to Rwandan authorities the case of Aloys Ndimbati, a former local government official charged with crimes against humanity.
- Briefing: The Egyptian revolution undone? IRIN 25 Jun 2012 -- Mohamad Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) has been declared the official winner of the first free Egyptian presidential elections.
- Morsi says he is president of all Egyptians IRNA 25 Jun 2012 -- Mohamed Morsi, the first democratically elected Egyptian president over the past 60 years of military rule, said on Sunday night that he will be a president 'for all Egyptians'.
- Egyptian President-Elect Morsi Plans to Resume Ties with Iran RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- Egyptian President-elect Mohamed Morsi plans to resume normal relations with Iran to ensure strategic balance in the region.
- Egypt's President-Elect Morsi Starts to Form Government VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Egypt's president-elect Mohamed Morsi has started forming what he pledges will be an inclusive government, one day after becoming the country's first democratically elected civilian president.
- Mumbai Attack Suspect Arrested in India VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Indian officials say police have arrested a suspect involved in coordinating the 2008 terrorist attacks on the city of Mumbai that killed 166 people.
- Nigerian President Seeks 'New Tactics' Against Boko Haram VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan says the government needs 'new tactics' against militant Islamist sect Boko Haram, which he accuses of trying to destabilize Nigeria.
- Estonia to Study Russian Spies RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2012 -- The Estonian government commissioned two studies into the operations of Russian foreign intelligence services from 1930s to the present day, local news website Rus.err.ee reported.
- Analysis: Bound by conflict, the Syrian-Lebanon crisis IRIN 25 Jun 2012 -- For more than a generation, the northern Lebanese town of Tripoli has been a divided city, home to most of Lebanon's Shia Alawi community, but also a stronghold of Sunni conservatism.
- Israel Deporting 150 Migrants to South Sudan VOA 25 Jun 2012 -- Israel is deporting a second planeload of African migrants as it continues a crackdown on what officials have described as 'infiltrators.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|