22 June 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Jun 2012 [PDF]
- Airstrike Kills Taliban Leader in Afghanistan AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition airstrike killed Nabi Rahman, a Taliban leader and explosives expert, during an operation in the Watahpur district of Afghanistan's Kunar province today, military officials reported.
- Officials Condemn Hotel Attack in Afghanistan AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- Defense Department and International Security Assistance Force officials have condemned the brutal attack on the lakeside Spozhmai Hotel west of Kabul in Afghanistan.
- Afghan Forces Defeat Taliban Siege of Hotel VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Afghan-led forces stormed a hotel outside Kabul Friday, rescuing civilians taken hostage by heavily armed Taliban gunmen in an overnight siege.
- Kabul Hotel Siege Comes To An End RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- Afghan authorities say more than 20 people have been killed in a nearly 12-hour assault by Taliban militants on a hotel on the outskirts of Kabul.
- At least 18 Killed in Kabul as Taliban Hotel Siege Ends RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Security forces released dozens of hostages from a lakeside hotel near the Afghan capital, Kabul, captured by Taliban militants, ending a 12-hour siege.
- 5th ANGLICO returns home USMC News 22 Jun 2012 -- More than 70 Marines with 5th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company returned to Camp Hansen from Afghanistan June 11.
- Report: US Diplomats Harassed in Pakistan VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- An internal State Department report says American diplomats in Pakistan are facing "deliberate, willful and systematic" harassment.
- Two bomb blasts kill 4 in Pakistan IRNA 22 Jun 2012 -- Two bomb blasts in Pakistan have killed at least four people and injured dozens others, police and witnesses said.
- U.S. Support Aids Hunt for Central African Rebel Group AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. military is just one part of a larger, multinational effort to help four African partner nations bring rebel leader Joseph Kony and senior members of his brutal Lord’s Resistance Army to justice.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Japanese Officials Discuss Osprey Issues AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- Defense Department officials today held a director-level meeting at the Pentagon with officials from the Japanese Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Foreign Affairs to provide an update on MV-22 and CV-22 Osprey aircraft issues, according to Pentagon Press Secretary George Little.
- 'Big Red One' Soldiers learn to fly Army's smallest unmanned aerial system Army News 22 Jun 2012 -- A mobile training team from Fort Benning, Ga., arrived at Fort Riley, June 7, to teach 15 Fort Riley Soldiers on how to fly one of the smallest unmanned aerial systems used by the U.S. Army - the RQ-11B Raven.
- Dagger Brigade to 'align' with AFRICOM in 2013 Army News 22 Jun 2012 -- As part of an effort to regionally align Army forces with specific unified combatant commands, or COCOM, a brigade will begin serving in March as the go-to force for U.S. Africa Command, or USAFRICOM.
- Odierno addresses Army's future, budget cuts Army News 22 Jun 2012 -- The Army's chief of staff said the force will focus more in the future on supporting combatant commanders around the world, especially in the Pacific.
- Reservists learn to defeat IEDs in Warrior Exercise 2012 at Fort Hunter Liggett Army News 22 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Army Reservists from the 291st Transportation Battalion, 718th Transportation Battalion and 869th Movement Control Team, excelled in counter improvised explosive device training during Warrior Exercise 2012 at Fort Hunter Liggett.
- Panetta Welcomes Senate-confirmed Leaders to Pentagon AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today formally welcomed three recently Senate-confirmed leaders to the Defense Department as undersecretaries of defense during a Pentagon ceremony.
- Seabees build PEB in Preparation for Upcoming Deployment NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Naval Air Station (NAS) Meridian Public Works Officer inspects project completed by Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 74 based in Gulfport, Miss. June 11.
- Mine Countermeasures Squadron 3 Change of Command NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Capt. Steven Mucklow relieved Capt. David Chase as commander, Mine Countermeasures Squadron (MCMRON) 3 at a change of command ceremony, June 16.
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific Hosts NATO Exercise NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific was one of three locations throughout the world to host the Coalition Warrior Interoperability eXploration, eXperimentation, eXamination, (CWIX) Exercise, June 6-20.
- HSL 42 Detachment 7 Begins Final Deployment with SH-60B Seahawk NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Helicopter Anti-submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 42 Detachment 7 'Proud Warriors,' begin its last deployment while embarked aboard guided-missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109), June 22.
- Commander, Navy Installations Command Talks Money, Mission with Naval Station Rota NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- The commander of Navy Installations Command visited Naval Station Rota, Spain, June 22, to look at base operations and check on-the-ground progress toward homeporting four U.S. Navy destroyers here as forward deployed naval forces (FDNF) by 2015.
- USS Pearl Harbor Returns from Deployment NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Amphibious dock landing ship USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52) arrived at its homeport of San Diego June 22 after completing a seven-month deployment.
- USS New Orleans Returns to San Diego Following Deployment NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Amphibious transport dock ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18), and embarked 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), returned to their homeport of San Diego, June 22.
- McHugh discusses Army of today, Army of 2020 Army News 22 Jun 2012 -- The Army's not going anywhere, Secretary of the Army John McHugh reassured Soldiers, Army civilians and their families in a recent interview.
- ‘Dagger Brigade’ to Align with Africom in 2013 AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- As part of an effort to regionally align Army forces with specific unified combatant commands, a Kansas-based brigade will begin serving in March as the go-to force for U.S. Africa Command.
- Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group Returns from Deployment NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- Sailors assigned to the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group returned to their homeport of San Diego June 22 following a seven-month deployment.
- USS Makin Island Returns from Historic Maiden Deployment NNS 22 Jun 2012 -- USS Makin Island returned to its homeport of San Diego June 22 following completion of the ship's historic maiden deployment.
- US, S. Korea Launch Live-Fire Military Drills VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- South Korean and U.S. warplanes fired rockets and dropped bombs on mock targets near the North Korean border.
- Marines convoy to Yausubetsu Maneuver Area USMC News 22 Jun 2012 -- Marines with 3rd Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment, transported 12 105 mm howitzers and more than 100 tactical vehicles from Hanasaki Port to the Yausubetsu Maneuver Area here June 8 in preparation for Artillery Relocation Training Program 12-1.
- Cambodia, US conduct exercise USMC News 22 Jun 2012 -- Members of the Royal Cambodian Navy and Air Force shared medical techniques with sailors of 3rd Medical Battalion at Ream Naval Base here June 5-6.
- Southcom, Partners Prepare to Respond to Natural Disasters AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- US Southern Command has entered this year’s hurricane season ready to provide timely, effective aid should another disaster strike the region.
- Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta at DoD/VA Suicide Prevention Conference DoD 22 Jun 2012
- Army Releases May 2012 Suicide Data DoD 22 Jun 2012
- Panetta Outlines Suicide Prevention Strategy AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta today described a four-part strategy against what he termed “perhaps the most frustrating challenge I’ve come across” as head of the nation’s military forces: service member and veteran suicide.
- VA Boosts Staffing, Programs to Prevent Suicide AFPS 22 Jun 2012 -- The Department of Veterans Affairs is making progress in suicide prevention, adding staff and programs to treat the “invisible scars” carried home from the war by service members and veterans.
- Duma Committee Endorses Deputy FM Grushko as NATO Envoy RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- The Foreign Affairs Committee of the State Duma has approved the appointment of Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko as Russia’s new ambassador to NATO.
- Rogozin Remains Head of Military-Industrial Commission RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has approved the membership of the Military-Industrial Commission, leaving Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin as chairman.
- Paras train with Omani soldiers UK MOD 22 Jun 2012 -- British paratroopers have been training alongside the Royal Army of Oman over the last two weeks to hone the infantry skills of both armies' soldiers.
- Russian-Built Frigate Arrives in India RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- A new stealth frigate built for the Indian navy by Russia arrived in the port of Mumbai.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, June 22, 2012 US Dept. of State 22 Jun 2012
- 22 June 2012 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 22 Jun 2012
- Russia Flexes Diplomatic Muscle on Syria VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Amid reports that Russian Navy ships are preparing to steam to Syria, Russia intensified its diplomacy on Syria.
- Turkish PM: Turkish Warplane Missing Off Syria VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan says a Turkish air force jet has gone down over Syrian waters.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Probing Jet Disappearance; Reports Of Syria Apology RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he cannot confirm a missing Turkish warplane was downed by Syria.
- Turkish PM: No Confirmation Jet Shot down by Syria RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has not confirmed reports that a Turkish air force jet F-4 was shot down by Syrian forces.
- Humanitarian situation in Syria continues to worsen – UN relief agency UN News Centre 22 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations relief coordination agency said that the humanitarian situation in Syria continues to deteriorate.
- Annan: Crisis In Syria Must Be Prevented From Spiraling Out Of Control VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Joint Special Envoy for Syria, Kofi Annan, says he hopes it will be possible to convene a high-level meeting of ministers at the end of the month to try to push the Syrian peace process forward.
- UN-Arab League envoy cites need to raise pressure on Syria UN News Centre 22 Jun 2012 -- The Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations and the League of Arab States on the Syrian Crisis, Kofi Annan, cited the need to increase international pressure on the parties to end the ongoing conflict.
- UN Envoy: 'Raise the Level of Pressure' on Syrian Government, Opposition VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- The U.N. envoy for Syria says it is time for countries to "raise the level of pressure" to end violence in the country.
- Annan Says Time To Raise Pressure On Syria, Rebels RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- The UN-Arab League envoy for Syria says countries with influence should to step up the pressure on Syria and rebel groups to end violence in the country.
- Syria Ready for 'Synchronized Pullout' - Russia RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- The Syrian leadership has told Russia it is ready to withdraw its armed forces from the country's cities in parallel with the forces of the Syrian opposition.
- France Urges Syrian Troops to Defect RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- France urges Syrian military personnel to follow the example of fighter pilot Hassan Hammadeh and defect.
- Iran Must Participate in Syria Talks - Moscow RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Moscow dismissed on Friday U.S. and British objections to Iran’s participation in an international conference on Syria.
- Iran’s participation in Intl. Geneva meeting on Syria a necessity IRNA 22 Jun 2012 -- Deputy Secretary General of Arab League Ahmed Ben Helli said Iran must participate in International Meeting of Syria in Geneva on June 30.
- Russian 'Syria Arms' Ship Docks at Novorossiysk RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- A Russian warship which some media reports claimed was carrying arms destined for Syria has arrived at the Russian Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.
- MALI: Students flee Sharia in northern schools IRIN 22 Jun 2012 -- Strict Sharia, or Islamic religious laws, imposed by the Islamist rebels controlling vast swathes of northern Mali are driving thousands of students out of schools.
- UN warns sectarian attacks in Nigeria could amount to crimes against humanity UN News Centre 22 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations human rights office condemned the repeated attacks on churches in Nigeria by the extremist Islamist group Boko Haram.
- UN agency seeks funds for ‘critical’ refugee situation in South Sudan UN News Centre 22 Jun 2012 -- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is urgently appealing for more funding to scale up its assistance to refugees in South Sudan.
- Sudanese Refugees Fleeing From One Nightmare to Another VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- United Nations refugee agency says the situation for tens of thousands of Sudanese refugees in South Sudan is now among the most critical faced by refugees anywhere in the world.
- UN envoy welcomes agreement on Somalia’s constitution-making process UN News Centre 22 Jun 2012 -- The top United Nations political official for Somalia welcomed the signing of a communiqué agreed on by Somali leaders.
- Somali President Wants Another Tenure VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- A US-based Somali analyst says Somali President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed will have stiff competition in his bid for a second term.
- DRC: Understanding armed group M23 IRIN 22 Jun 2012 -- To the layman the emergence of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo armed group M23 might be seen as of little significance.
- One Militant Killed in Israeli Gaza Strike RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- At least one Palestinian militant was killed and two injured in an Israeli airstrike on Gaza, a spokesperson for the local Health Ministry said.
- Iraq Blasts Kill At Least 13 At Baghdad Market RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- At least 13 people have been reported killed in two roadside bombs explosions at a popular market in the Iraqi capital Baghdad.
- Saddam's Nephew Detained In Austria RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- A man who says he is the nephew of the former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been detained in Austria and taken to a "safe place."
- Amid Burma Reforms, Steps to Resettle Those Displaced by Conflict VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Burma is developing plans, backed by the United Nations, to resettle hundreds of thousands of refugees, many of them internally displaced or living in camps in Thailand.
- Burma's Fleeing Muslim Refugees Recount Ordeal RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- Helicopters opened fire on boats carrying Rohingya Muslims heading to Bangladesh and fleeing sectarian violence in western Burma, according to refugees who survived the sea ordeal.
- Abkhaz Foreign Ministry Complains About Georgian 'Terrorism' RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- Abkhazia's Foreign Ministry has called on the United States, United Nations, and Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe to pressure Georgia into halting what it called "terrorist activities" in a district bordering Georgia.
- Taiwan protests Vietnam's claim to South China Sea islands CNA 22 Jun 2012 -- Taiwan voiced strong concern and protest Friday against Vietnam's inclusion of two island groups in the South China Sea into its territory.
- Liberia to Extradite 41 Ivorians for Involvement in 2011 Conflict VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Liberia says it will extradite 41 Ivorians home to face trial for suspected involvement in last year's post-electoral conflict in Ivory Coast.
- Notice - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Western Balkans The White House 22 Jun 2012
- Letter - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Western Balkans The White House 22 Jun 2012
- In Taylor Trial, Tampering Conviction for Ex-Rebel VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- A Sierra Leone man has been convicted of trying to bribe and influence witnesses in the trial of former Liberian president Charles Taylor.
- Egypt's Military Rulers Blame Candidates for Tensions VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Egypt's ruling military council accused the country's two presidential candidates of raising tensions by prematurely declaring victory.
- Islamists Demonstrate in Cairo over Election Delays RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Thousands of supporters of Egyptian presidential candidate Mohamed Mursi gathered on Tahrir Square in central Cairo demanding that Mursi be declared the winner.
- Pakistani Lawmakers Elect New Prime Minister VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Pakistani lawmakers have elected a new prime minister to replace ousted Yousuf Raza Gilani, in a bid to end the country's political crisis.
- Pakistan Parliament Votes On Prime Minister RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- The Pakistani parliament convenes to pick a replacement for ousted prime minister Yusuf Raza Gilani.
- Pakistani Ruling Coalition Names New Prime Minister RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- The nominee for prime minister from Pakistan's ruling coalition, Raja Pervez Ashraf, has been confirmed.
- Pakistan ruling party names Pervez Ashraf for PM slot IRNA 22 Jun 2012 -- Pakistan’s ruling party on Friday named Raja Pervez Ashraf as its candidate for the slot of Prime Minister.
- US: Tibetan Self-Immolations 'Desperate Acts' of Protest VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. State Department says the spate of self-immolations in Tibetan areas of southwestern China are not the work of outcasts or troublemakers as China contends.
- Phnom Penh Won't Deport Bo Xilai-linked Frenchman VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Cambodia says it will not deport a French architect who once worked closely with a disgraced senior Chinese official at the center of one of modern China's biggest and most public political scandals.
- China-Cambodia Ties Under Scrutiny in Arrest of French Citizen VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- Cambodian authorities are saying little about the case of a French national believed to be connected to disgraced Chinese politician Bo Xilai.
- KENYA: IDP law in the works IRIN 22 Jun 2012 -- Election-related violence and the displacement of people are regular occurrences in Kenya, and thousands of families are affected by it every five years.
- UGANDA: Government plans naturalization of refugees IRIN 22 Jun 2012 -- The Ugandan government says it is in discussions to legalize and grant naturalization to thousands of refugees who fled into the country in the 1960s and 1990s, mainly from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda.
- Azerbaijani President Amnesties 66 Inmates, Including Political Prisoners RFE/RL 22 Jun 2012 -- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has signed a decree pardoning 66 prisoners, including nine men regarded by rights activists as political prisoners.
- Paraguay’s President Facing Impeachment RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Paraguay's parliament has voted to begin impeachment proceedings against leftist President Fernando Lugo for his role in a deadly clash in which seventeen people were killed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|