23 April 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 23 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Panetta: U.S.-Afghan Agreement Shows U.S. Commitment AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- U.S. and Afghan officials are studying a tentative agreement on a strategic partnership post-2014, White House and Defense Department officials announced today.
- Combined Force Captures Several Insurgents AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured several insurgents during an operation to capture a senior Haqqani facilitator in the Baraki Barak district of Afghanistan's Logar province today, military officials reported.
- New simulator pushes Afghan pilots' capabilities AFNS 23 Apr 2012 -- Afghan pilots now have a state-of-the-art MI-17 simulator here to hone their aviation skills in a safe environment.
- Afghan Officials Brief Parliament On Strategic Deal With U.S. RFE/RL 23 Apr 2012 -- Senior Afghan officials have briefed lawmakers about a finalized draft agreement between Kabul and Washington covering the future of U.S. assistance to Afghanistan.
- Karzai Blocks U.S. Congressman From Kabul Visit RFE/RL 23 Apr 2012 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2012, through March.
- Taliban bomb-making equipment seized UK MOD 23 Apr 2012 -- Afghan National Army and UK soldiers have seized a substantial amount of explosives and other bomb-making equipment in Afghanistan.
- US to Defend Afghanistan After Troop Withdrawal VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- A top Afghan official says the United States is promising to help defend Afghanistan militarily for at least the next decade after Afghan forces formally take full control of the their country's security in 2014.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama Announces Strategy to Counter Atrocities AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- President Barack Obama today announced a strategy to strengthen the U.S. government’s ability to foresee, prevent, and respond to genocide and mass atrocities, and extended U.S. troops’ efforts to do just that in Central Africa.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency: Mapping Africa one country at a time Army News 23 Apr 2012 -- When the U.S. military wants to head into un-chartered, or minimally chartered territory, they call on the experts of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, or the NGA. By compiling the most current satellite imagery, existing maps, and layers of data like roads, rivers, and towns they are able to create custom maps and imagery for specific locations or events.
- Secretary: U.S., Latin America Face Common Challenges AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- Latin America figures prominently in the Pentagon’s new defense strategy as an increasingly capable region that shares common challenges with the United States, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today.
- Officials Explain New Sexual Assault Policies AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- Senior Defense Department officials today said they hope more service members who are victims of sexual assault report the crimes as a result of a policy change Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta announced last week.
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Panetta and Colombian Minister Pinzon in Tolemaida, Colombia (English language comments only) DoD 23 Apr 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta and Colombian Minister of Defense Juan Camillo Pinzon
- Media Availability with Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta while En Route to Bogota, Colombia DoD 23 Apr 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Readout of Secretary Panetta's call with Japanese Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka DoD 23 Apr 2012
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2012, Through March DoD 23 Apr 2012 -- The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2012, through March.
- Andersen AFB welcomes 69th Exeditionary Bomb Squadron AFNS 23 Apr 2012 -- The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., has arrived to support U.S. Pacific Command's continuous bomber presence here.
- Damaged C-17 move truly a joint effort AFNS 23 Apr 2012 -- When a C-17 Globemaster III, recently landed and overran the runway due to inclement weather, the landing gear and other critical parts were damaged.
- 11 nations share lessons learned at medical symposium AFNS 23 Apr 2012 -- Representatives of the military medical community from 11 Partnership for Peace and NATO countries met to discuss common problems and solutions within the career field here April 18 - 20.
- Panetta Visit to Expand South American Defense Ties AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- During his first visit to South America as defense secretary, which starts today, Leon E. Panetta will meet over the next week with military officials in Brazil, Colombia and Chile, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- ISR chief outlines future programs AFNS 23 Apr 2012 -- While visiting deployed Airmen April 15-18, Brig. Gen. John Horner addressed the future of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission programs.
- Panetta Promises Continued Support to Colombia AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- After a meeting today with Colombian Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzón Bueno, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta promised the U.S. military partner of 60 years continued commitment and assistance.
- President Praises Leaders for New Sexual Assault Policies AFPS 23 Apr 2012 -- President Barack Obama released a statement today praising the Defense Department's senior leaders for issuing new policies designed to combat sexual assault in the military.
- McHugh: Important time for the TRADOC mission Army News 23 Apr 2012 -- Secretary of the Army John McHugh traveled to U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command headquarters to receive briefings from TRADOC leaders on the Army Profession, doctrine, leader development, and training and education, April 20.
- Army leaders discuss S&T strategy, priorities to deliver solutions Army News 23 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Army science and technology leaders need to deepen their relationships with the doctrine and warfighter communities so that together they can better define the Army's science and technology priorities, senior leaders said April 18 during a panel discussion.
- Guides of artillery fire train to perfection for upcoming deployments USMC News 23 Apr 2012 -- Mortar indirect fire, an artillery gun line and close air support all came into play during 3rd Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment's recent Fire Support Team Exercise, also known as a FiSTEX.
- Tactics – a universal language of Marines worldwide USMC News 23 Apr 2012 -- Marines with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit joined the Spanish Marine Corps, the Infanteria DeMarina, for two days of tactics sharing during bi-lateral training, April 16-17.
- 2ND MAW looks for new approach USMC News 23 Apr 2012 -- Numerous units are participating in the first modified WTI, also known as Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course, held aboard Naval Air Facility El Centro, Calif.
- Shadow Warriors shed light on new war fighting techniques USMC News 23 Apr 2012 -- Marines around the world constantly adjust their training to better combat the enemy. One battalion is preparing for the road ahead through hands-on training to make themselves and their Afghan counterparts more lethal.
- EU Nations urged to be forward-looking on security NATO 23 Apr 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmusen, in a speech to the European Parliament on 23 April, called for closer NATO-European Union coordination on security issues and urged the EU to adopt the needed capabilities to take action abroad.
- Enterprise Completes Replenishment-at-Sea NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- Sailors assigned to aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) completed a replenishment-at-sea (RAS) with Military Sealift Command fast combat support ship USNS Supply (T-AOE 6), April 18.
- Michigan Visits Stirling during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- The Ohio-class guided missile submarine USS Michigan (SSGN 727) arrived at HMAS Stirling April 22 for a visit as part of its deployment to the western Pacific.
- US Navy Kicks Off Naval Exchange Activities with Vietnam NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Navy began naval exchange activities with the Vietnamese navy April 23 in various locations throughout Vietnam, continuing a series of naval activities between the U.S. and Vietnam that last occurred in July 2011.
- Sailors Lend a Hand in PraiaSailors Lend a Hand in Praia NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- Sixteen Sailors from USS Simpson (FFG 56), six Cape Verdean Coast Guardsmen and school staff painted classrooms at the Escola Lavadouro School in Praia, Cape Verde, April 20.
- HSV Swift Conducts Port Call in Toulon, France NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- High Speed Vessel Swift (HSV) 2 departed Toulon naval base after a three-day port visit to strengthen relations with the French navy, April 20.
- USS Pearl Harbor Plays Hosts to Members of Australian Parliament NNS 23 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Sailors and Marines assigned to the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) hosted three members of Australia's Parliament for a tour aboard amphibious dock landing ship USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52), April 9.
- Russia 'Years Behind' in Military Electronics RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Russia's defense electronics are up to 12 years behind foreign analogs, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Monday.
- India all set to develop reusable rockets: DRDO chief IRNA 23 Apr 2012 -- After the successful launch of Agni-5 Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), India is all set to develop reusable rockets which will combine the technologies of both ballistic and cruise missiles.
- Trans-regional forces are doomed: Military official IRNA 23 Apr 2012 -- Deputy commander of Army's ground forces for coordinative affairs Brigadier-General Ali Arasteh said on Monday that the trans-regional forces are doomed.
- April 23, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 23 Apr 2012
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 4/23/12 The White House 23 Apr 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for April 23, 2012
- ATK Launch Systems Inc. Settles False Claims Product Substitution Case for Nearly $37 Million US Dept. of Justice 23 Apr 2012 -- ATK Launch Systems Inc. has agreed to a $36,967,160 settlement with the United States to resolve allegations that ATK sold dangerous and defective illumination flares to the Army and the Air Force.
- 23 April 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 23 Apr 2012
- KPA Supreme Command Warns Lee Myung Bak Group of Quick Action KCNA 23 Apr 2012 -- The special operation action group of the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army issued the following notice Monday
- N. Korea Threatens to 'Mercilessly Punish' South RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- North Korea threatened to 'mercilessly punish' South Korean president Lee Myung-bak for his 'hideous provocative' comment targeting the North's excessive spending on centenary celebrations for national founder Kim Il-Sung, North Korea's KCNA said on Sunday.
- N. Korea Threatens South with Special Military Action VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- North Korea is escalating its war of words against the South Korean government over what the North perceives as insults by the South. Pyongyang is now threatening to turn the heated rhetoric into action, threatening to take 'quick action' against South Korea.
- SYRIA: New UN response plan awaits government agreement IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- The UN has presented a multi-million dollar plan to respond to humanitarian needs in Syria, but still lacks government approval to implement it.
- Analysis: Syria's forgotten refugees IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- It was 21 February 2006. The date is etched in Samia's* mind.
- Syria undergoing 'pivotal moment' for its stabilization, says UN-Arab League envoy UN News Centre 23 Apr 2012 -- The Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations and the League of Arab States, Kofi Annan, welcomed the Security Council's decision to authorize a supervision mission in Syria, stressing that this represents a 'pivotal moment' for the stabilization of the country.
- Activists: 9 Killed in Syria as UN Monitors Check Cease-fire VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- Syrian activists say government forces killed at least nine people Monday in a flashpoint city, a day after international observers visited the region.
- Naval Exchange Stirs Troubled Waters in South China Sea VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- Vietnam and the United States on Monday began their annual naval exchange near a former U.S. army base in Danang city amid mounting tensions over competing sovereignty claims in the South China Sea.
- MALI: Rebels and their cause IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- After months of fighting in northern Mali, the Mouvement National de Libération de L'Azawad (MNLA) - National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad - declared an end to military operations. The rebels refer to the regions of Gao, Kidal and Timbuktu in northern Mali as Azawad. However, following international and regional condemnation of the movement's declaration of independence on 6 April, several factions have emerged, exposing deep divisions between Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), Islamist groups, and Tuareg groups.
- UN and AU envoys arrive in Chad to warn of possibility of LRA haven UN News Centre 23 Apr 2012 -- Senior United Nations and African Union officials arrived in Chad this weekend on a joint mission to warn its Government that the country could be the next destination of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).
- SUDAN-SOUTH SUDAN: Southerners in Khartoum increasingly fearful IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- The weekend ransacking of a church compound in Khartoum illustrates the increasing hostility faced by some of the hundreds of thousands of residents of the Sudanese capital whose origins lie in what is now the independent state of South Sudan.
- Sudan's Bashir: No More Talks with South VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir says there will be no further talks with South Sudan, defying international calls for the countries to settle their differences through dialogue.
- UN condemns aerial bombardments in South Sudan's Unity state UN News Centre 23 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) today deplored the continued aerial bombardments in Bentiu town in the country's Unity state, and called on the country and its neighbour, Sudan, to take all measures to ensure the safety of civilians.
- UN official hopes exchange of letters can help advance Israeli-Palestinian dialogue UN News Centre 23 Apr 2012 -- A senior United Nations official today voiced the hope that the recent exchange of letters agreed to by Israeli and Palestinian leaders can provide an opening for further dialogue that will contribute to progress in the Middle East peace process.
- No Decision to Withdraw Transdnestr Ammo – Rogozin RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Russia has not made any decision to withdraw ammunition stockpiles from Moldova's breakaway region of Transdnestr, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Monday.
- EU Suspends Burma Sanctions, Slaps New Ones on Syria VOA 23 Apr 2012 -- The European Union suspended for a year most sanctions against Burma on Monday, while also adopting new ones against the Syrian government.
- Myanmar Parliament Reopens; Suu Kyi Refuses To Take Seat RFE/RL 23 Apr 2012 -- Myanmar's parliament has reconvened following recent elections, but pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her party have refused to take their seats amid a dispute over the parliamentary oath.
- Analysis: Latest coup another setback for Guinea-Bissau IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- Development, democracy and stability gains in Guinea-Bissau have suffered a major setback following the military takeover in Guinea-Bissau on 12 April.
- GUINEA-BISSAU: Chronology of instability IRIN 23 Apr 2012 -- Rather than shoring up democratic institutions, Guinea-Bissau's presidential elections in March widened divisions between civilian and military leaders, culminating in a 12 April coup. It was the fifth successful putsch the country has experienced since independence in 1974.
- Hollande Edges Out Sarkozy In First Round Of French Presidential Election RFE/RL 23 Apr 2012 -- esults from France's presidential election on April 22 show Socialist candidate Francois Hollande and conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy will advance to a runoff vote on May 6.
- Sarkozy Seeks To Win Over Far-Right Voters RFE/RL 23 Apr 2012 -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy was seeking support from far-right voters on April 23 after losing to Socialist Francois Hollande in the first round of a presidential vote that saw record support for the extreme-right National Front.
- People to Land on Mars in 'Next 40 Yrs' - Scientist RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- The world may see a manned spaceflight to Mars in the first half of this century, a prominent Russian academic said on Monday.
- Mars Astronauts Risk DNA Damage – Scientists RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Future astronauts working on the Red Planet's surface risk general changes in health at the DNA level because of increased radiation exposure, a prominent Russian academic said on Monday.
- Ukraine Wants to 'Revitalize' Chernobyl Area RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine is currently working on an expanded governmental program aimed at sprucing up the contaminated territories adjacent to the crippled Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said on Monday.
- UN crime meeting opens with focus on threats posed by transnational organized crime UN News Centre 23 Apr 2012 -- A United Nations meeting on crime prevention today heard how transnational organized crime was a challenge and growing threat to sustainable development and the rule of law.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|