19 March 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Mar 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Kills 4 Insurgents AFPS 19 Mar 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed four insurgents March 17 during a search for an insurgent leader of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Faryab province.
- British and Afghan troops launch dawn raid in Helmand UK MOD 19 Mar 2012 -- A dawn raid by British and Afghan troops in Helmand province has struck a blow at the insurgency in Afghanistan.
- US Soldier's Friends Stunned at Afghanistan Rampage Charges VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- An American soldier suspected of killing 16 civilians in Afghanistan, Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales, met with his lawyer at the military detention center at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
- U.S. Soldier Accused Of Afghan Killings To Meet Lawyer RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- The U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians in a shooting spree in southern Afghanistan earlier this month is to meet his lawyer for the first time on March 19.
- 'Ravens' keep air traffic flowing in northern Afghanistan Army News 19 Mar 2012 -- The 1st Air Cavalry Brigade's air traffic control team arrived in theater last June and since then has coordinated more than 100,000 air movements.
- Ulyanovsk Residents Protest NATO Transit Base Plan RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- About 80 people in Russia’s Volga city of Ulyanovsk attended a protest against plans to establish a NATO transit base at Ulyanovsk airport.
- Statement by the President on the Passing of King George Tupou V of Tonga The White House 19 Mar 2012
- Pakistani Lawmakers Set To Debate U.S. Ties RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Pakistani lawmakers are expected to debate new terms of engagement with the United States this week.
- Pakistani Clashes Leave At Least 8 Dead RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- At least eight people have been reported killed in clashes between the Pakistani army and militants in North Waziristan.
- Eight people killed in clashes in Pakistani tribal region IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- At least 8 people were killed and 15 others injured in clashes in northwestern tribal region on Monday, security officials said.
- Presidential Proclamation - National Day of Honor The White House 19 Mar 2012
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force changes name of MC-130J AFNS 19 Mar 2012 -- Officials announced a popular name change for the MC130J here March 9 that honors the Air Commando legacy and capitalizes on the versatility of the aircraft.
- Enterprise Stands Ready to Respond NNS 19 Mar 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) conducted a mass casualty drill March 17, as part of a continued commitment to mission readiness.
- U.S.-Thailand-Singapore Airmen strengthen ties during Cope Tiger 12 AFNS 19 Mar 2012 -- Airmen from the U.S., Thailand, and Singapore are stepping away from flight operations to strengthen relationships here with local Thai communities this week.
- U.S. forces care for thousands during PACANGEL-Philippines AFNS 19 Mar 2012 -- Operation Pacific Angel-Philippines, a joint and combined humanitarian mission, officially wrapped up during a closing ceremony.
- ND-SPS 12 Concludes Colombian Stop NNS 19 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Navy divers, assigned to Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, Company 2-1, concluded a three-week subject matter expert exchange with Colombian Navy divers in Cartagena, March 13.
- APS Medical Staff, Cameroon Military Hospital Collaborate NNS 19 Mar 2012 -- African Partnership Station medical training team members along with medical personnel from the U.S. Naval Hospital in Naples, Italy, traveled to Douala to mentor Cameroon military members at the region two military hospital, March 13-16.
- Royal Navy trials new combat uniform UK MOD 19 Mar 2012 -- A new combat uniform for the Royal Navy is being trialled by HMS Daring while on counter-piracy operations in the Gulf.
- NATO’s Counter Piracy Mission Extended NATO 19 Mar 2012 -- NATO Allies agreed on 19 March to extend the Alliance’s counter piracy naval operation Ocean Shield, which operates off the Horn of Africa to protect merchant traffic from pirate attacks, for a further two years until the end of 2014.
- U.S., Russia Exported Most Arms; India Biggest Importer RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- India is the world's leading importer of weapons, while the United States and Russia are responsible for about half of the globe's arms exports.
- India World’s Top Arms Importer – SIPRI RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- India has topped a rating of the world's largest heavy arms importers.
- IAF lost 33 fighter aircraft in mishaps since 2008 IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Indian Air Force has lost 33 fighter aircraft, including three Sukhoi-30MKI, in mishaps since 2008 and 26 defense personnel were killed in these crashes.
- Taiwan denies report of visits to Europe for submarine development CNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Navy officials said that Taiwan is still seeking to obtain submarines from the United States.
- Humidity blamed for split U.S.-made missile radomes in Taiwan CNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Taiwan's wet climate has been identified as the main cause of splits in the radomes of some of the U.S.-made missiles.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 3/19/12 The White House 19 Mar 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, March 19, 2012 US Dept. of State 19 Mar 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for March 19, 2012
- Northrop Grumman Awarded LITENING Post Production Support Contract Northrop Grumman 19 Mar 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has been awarded a post-production support contract by the U.S. Air Force.
- Raytheon to Continue Supporting US, Coalition Forces' Information-Sharing Computer Network Raytheon 19 Mar 2012 -- Raytheon Company has been awarded a contract by the Defense Information Systems Agency to continue supporting a global research, test and evaluation computer network used by U.S. and coalition forces.
- SAIC Awarded Contract by U.S. Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific SAIC 19 Mar 2012 -- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) announced today it was awarded a prime contract by the U.S. Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific) to provide a full range of systems engineering, software development, test and evaluation, and program management services in support of ocean surveillance systems.
- Northrop Grumman Receives $334 Million Contract for LAIRCM Missile Defense Systems Northrop Grumman 19 Mar 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has been awarded a $334 million firm-fixed-price contract from the U.S. Air Force to provide Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasure (LAIRCM) systems and support.
- SAIC Awarded Contract by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) SAIC 19 Mar 2012 -- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) announced today it was awarded a prime contract by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to provide hazardous materials management and disposal services at all TSA airport operations and facilities.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 19 March 2012 United Nations 19 Mar 2012
- UN peacebuilding body enhancing partnership with African Development Bank UN News Centre 19 Mar 2012 -- The United Nations Peacebuilding Commission and the African Development Bank are strengthening their partnership.
- Heavy Fighting Reported in Syrian Capital VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Syrian security forces have clashed with rebels in an upscale area of Damascus.
- Intense Fighting Rocks Syrian Capital VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Syrian security forces have clashed with rebels in an upscale area of Damascus.
- Heavy Fighting Reported In Damascus RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Fighting between rebels and government forces has been taking place in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- 'Heavy fighting' Erupts in Damascus RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- Heavy fighting has erupted in Syria's capital, Damascus, on Monday between the rebel Free Syrian Army and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
- SYRIA: Aid workers give cautious welcome to start of humanitarian assessment IRIN 19 Mar 2012 -- A government-led assessment of Syrian areas affected by unrest began yesterday with a visit to the restive city of Homs, heavily devastated by nearly a month of shelling.
- As Fighting Rages, Moscow Talks Focus On Syrian Aid RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross was preparing to meet with Russia's foreign minister over ways to get humanitarian aid into Syria.
- Russia Seeks Red Cross Cooperation on Syria RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- Russia seeks further cooperation with the International Red Cross, especially on joint efforts to settle the humanitarian problems in conflict-torn Syria.
- YEMEN: Cramped shelter conditions for Abyan IDPs IRIN 19 Mar 2012 -- Since fleeing their homes in early March after clashes between the Yemeni army and Islamic militants in the southern governorate of Abyan, two families have been living in a 22 square metre classroom.
- Readout of the President’s Call with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas The White House 19 Mar 2012
- Israel Worried Over Syrian Hezbollah Missiles - Haaretz RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- Syria has supplied Lebanon’s Shiite Hezbollah militia with advanced Russian-made anti-aircraft missile systems and is training operators how to use them.
- ISRAEL: Address inequalities facing Arabs, says ICG IRIN 19 Mar 2012 -- Urgent steps should be taken to address the widespread marginalization of Arab minorities in Israel, including Palestinians living in occupied East Jerusalem.
- Seizure of springs by settlers greatly limits Palestinian access to water – UN report UN News Centre 19 Mar 2012 -- Palestinians have increasingly lost access to water sources in the West Bank as a result of the takeover of springs by Israeli settlers.
- 5 Killed in Attack Near Somali Presidential Palace VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- At least five people were killed in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, when insurgents fired mortars at the presidential palace but hit a displaced persons' camp instead.
- ECOWAS Seeks Ceasefire over Mali Tuareg Rebellion VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- The Economic Community of West African States said it is preparing a mediation team to help broker a ceasefire in Mali, following a resurgent Tuareg rebellion ahead of the April 29th presidential election.
- Proxy War Stokes Tension Between Ethiopia, Eritrea VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Ethiopia's military strike against targets in Eritrea last week has opened a new phase on the proxy war the Horn of Africa neighbors have been waging for more than a decade.
- India Signals it Will Back Human Rights Resolution against Sri Lanka VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Under domestic pressure, India's prime minister says the country may back a United Nations resolution this week criticizing Sri Lanka for alleged human rights abuses.
- Rights Group Says NATO Failed To Investigate Libya Civilian Deaths RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- The human rights group Amnesty International is accusing NATO of failing to investigate the deaths of civilians.
- Convicted Khmer Rouge Jailer Testifies Against Former Superiors VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- The former chief jailer of Cambodia's notorious Khmer Rouge has taken the witness stand at the war crimes tribunal trying senior leaders of the former regime.
- UN voices concern as second judge resigns from Cambodia genocide court UN News Centre 19 Mar 2012 -- The United Nations voiced concern as a second judge resigned from the Cambodia genocide tribunal.
- DRC-UGANDA: Congolese refugees hail Lubanga verdict IRIN 19 Mar 2012 -- Congolese refugees in Oruchinga camp, southwestern Uganda, have welcomed the International Criminal Court’s guilty verdict against Thomas Lubanga.
- Serb Army Chief Suing Human-Rights Activist RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Serbia's army chief has sued a prominent human rights activist who had accused him of war crimes during the 1998-99 war in Kosovo.
- Chinese company defying West's unilateral sanctions on Iran IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Managing Director of the Chinese Shipping Development Company Yan Zhichong: Company would continue importing oil from Iran.
- Secretary Clinton Nowruz Message US Dept. of State 19 Mar 2012
- U.S., Israel Send Norouz Greetings To Iranian People RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is marking the start of the Persian New Year this week.
- North Korea Invites IAEA Inspectors To Return RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency said it has received an invitation to send inspectors to North Korea.
- North Korea Launch Plan Raising Regional Tensions VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Pyongyang shows no sign of backing away from plans to conduct what it says would be its third space launch, next month.
- KCNA Blasts Lee Myung Bak's Remarks KCNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak is to talk nonsense about the DPRK's announcement of satellite launch.
- DPRK's Satellite Launch Not Contradictory to DPRK-U.S. Agreement KCNA 19 Mar 2012 -- The south Korean puppet forces are busy with a smear campaign over the issue of DPRK's launch of Kwangmyongsong-3.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean-US Relations KCNA 19 Mar 2012 -- One of the most serious crimes committed by the present ruling quarters in south Korea is that they sold off the destiny and sovereignty of the nation.
- Private Efforts Continue for Inter-Korean Family Reunions VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- North Korea’s announcement that it will soon launch a long-range rocket has raised tensions.
- Pakistani PM refuses to open graft cases against President IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan PM Gilani was adamant not to accept repeated orders by the country's top court for reopening of graft cases against President Zardari.
- Iraqis March On War Anniversary RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Hundreds of thousands of people have marched in southern Iraq, demanding better living conditions.
- Tense Guinea-Bissau Awaits Election Results VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Vote-counting is under way in Guinea-Bissau following Sunday's presidential poll.
- Ghana Confronts Challenges of Biometric Voter Registration VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- Ghana is preparing to begin its first-ever biometric voter registration ahead of December’s general elections.
- Ramos-Horta Concedes Defeat in E. Timor Presidential Election VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- East Timor President Jose Ramos-Horta conceded defeat on Monday in his bid to win a second term in office.
- FROM THE FIELD: Calm in Dili as Timor-Leste votes UN News Centre 19 Mar 2012 -- Patients at Timor-Leste’s national hospital, located in the capital, Dili, had an unusual sighting around 7:30 a.m. on Saturday: mobile voting units.
- Statement from NSC Spokesman Tommy Vietor on the Detention of Members of the Damas de Blanco The White House 19 Mar 2012
- US: Cuba Shows 'Disdain' For Human Rights By Detaining Dissidents VOA 19 Mar 2012 -- The White House says the detention of protestors in Cuba ahead of a papal visit underscores Havana's "disdain" for the universal rights of its people.
- Cuba Releases Activists Ahead Of Papal Visit RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Cuba has released about 70 members of the Damas de Blanco (Women in White) opposition group who were detained on March 18.
- In Wake Of Belarus Executions, Doubts About Judicial Process RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Candles and flowers litter the stairwell outside the apartment of Lyubou Kavalyova, the mother of one of the two men executed.
- West Condems Execution of Minsk Metro Bombers RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- The West condemned the swift execution by Belarus of two men convicted of planting bombs in the Minsk metro.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|