Rights Group Says NATO Failed To Investigate Libya Civilian Deaths
March 19, 2012
The human rights group Amnesty International is accusing NATO of failing to investigate the deaths of civilians who were killed in the alliance's air strikes campaign last year in Libya.
In a statement, the organization also accuses the trans-Atlantic military alliance of not paying compensation to the families of civilians killed in the air campaign.
Amnesty International said it had documented the cases of 55 civilians, including 16 children and 14 women, who were killed in NATO air strikes in Tripoli, Zliten, Majer, Sirte, and Brega.
The human rights group credited NATO with making "significant efforts" to avoid civilian casualties, but said the alliance had not investigated its role in civilian deaths.
NATO carried out thousands of air strikes during the campaign to help rebels overthrow the regime of veteran Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
With Reuters and AFP reporting
Copyright (c) 2012. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|