21 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Allen, Karzai Condemn Insurgent Violence AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- The commander of the International Security Assistance Force joined with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in condemning a recent spate of insurgent violence in Afghanistan.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta on the Treatment of Religious Materials at Bagram Airbase DoD 21 Feb 2012
- ISAF Commander Issues Directive on Handling of Religious Materials ISAF 21 Feb 2012
- Panetta, Allen Apologize for Destruction of Religious Materials AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta joined the commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan in apologizing to the Afghan people for the reported inappropriate treatment of religious materials.
- U.S. Commander Apologizes Over Koran Mistreatment RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- The commander of international troops in Afghanistan has confirmed that foreign troops have "improperly" disposed of Islamic religious materials, including Korans.
- UN envoy confident perpetrators will be held accountable for Afghan Koran burning UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations voiced its confidence that the NATO-led military force in Afghanistan will take appropriate action to hold accountable those responsible for the reported burning of copies of the Koran.
- Reports of Quran Desecration Angers Afghans VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- A crowd of at least 2,000 angry protesters gathered outside the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan Tuesday, following reports that foreign troops inside the facility had improperly disposed of copies of the Quran.
- Karzai Invites Taliban Leadership to Direct Talks VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has invited the Taliban leadership to direct talks with his government, while asking Pakistan to "support and facilitate" those negotiations aimed at ending a decade of war.
- Afghanistan Invites Taliban Leadership To Direct Peace Talks RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has invited the Taliban leadership to direct talks with his government, while urging Pakistan to help with negotiations.
- Karzai briefs Pakistan PM on talks with Obama IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai called Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani and ?apprised him about his telephonic conversation with the US President, Barack Obama’, the PM office said.
- Odierno Fleshes Out Pacific Strategy, Afghan Advisory Mission AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- The Army will remain strong in the Pacific to reflect the increased emphasis on the region, the Army chief of staff said.
- Afghan Army, Police team defeat IED in Gardez Army News 21 Feb 2012 -- Signs of progress for the Afghan National Security Forces was made in the icy city of Gardez this week when an improvised explosive device was discovered by Afghan Uniformed Police.
- Remarks by the NATO Deputy Secretary General, Alexander Vershbow at the joint press point with the Ambassador of Japan to Belgium, Jun Yokota NATO 21 Feb 2012
- Officials Say Taliban Behead Four Afghans For Alleged Spying RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Officials in Afghanistan’s southern Helmand Province say Taliban militants have beheaded four Afghan civilians whom they believed had been spying for the Afghan government.
- Soldiers get Afghan pilot program off ground Army News 21 Feb 2012 -- Three Soldiers from the Army Security Assistance Training Management Organization are in place for one year to conduct pilot instruction and logistics for the Rotary Wing Flight Training Program in Afghanistan.
- 246th QM Co. deploys to Afghanistan Army News 21 Feb 2012 -- Troops assigned to the 246th Mortuary Affairs (MA) Company, US Army Reserve-Puerto Rico, departed to a mobilization station in the Continental United States, 29 Jan, as part of their process to mobilize to Afghanistan.
- 'Favored Daughter' Sets Sights On Afghan Presidency RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- 36-year-old Koofi has braved numerous death threats to become a champion of women's rights, a leader in the fight against corruption, and a vocal critic of the possible return of the Taliban.
- US Moves to Restore Pakistan Relationship VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- The United States is moving to restore its relationship with Pakistan, which was severely damaged during the past year by a series of incidents.
- Pakistan To Ask Interpol For Musharraf Arrest Over Bhutto Assassination RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik says the government in Islamabad will ask Interpol to arrest Pervez Musharraf.
- Pakistani FM slams US Congress resolution IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has said that tabling a resolution on Balochistan in the US congress based on mala fide intention.
- US Crew Vigilant as Carrier Sails Through Strait of Hormuz VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- The American aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln, has just finished a mission in the Persian Gulf and sailed through the Strait of Hormuz, not far from the Iranian coast.
- Four Hurlburt Field Airmen die in U-28A crash in Djibouti AFNS 21 Feb 2012 -- A U-28A was involved in an accident near Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, located in the Horn of Africa.
- Pentagon: No Enemy Involvement in Djibouti Air Force Crash AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- Four Air Force special operators were killed Feb. 18 when their single-engine U-28 aircraft crashed in Djibouti on the Horn of Africa, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army to buy radios following Network Integration Evaluation Army News 21 Feb 2012 -- In its first procurement action resulting from the Network Integration Evaluations, or NIEs, and Agile Process, the Army is issuing a "sources sought" notice for a single-channel, vehicle-mounted radio.
- Blue Ridge on Patrol in 7th Fleet NNS 21 Feb 2012 -- U.S. 7th Fleet command ship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) departed from Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka for patrol Feb. 21.
- 15th MEU composites to a full Marine Air Ground Task Force USMC News 21 Feb 2012 -- The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit inherited its necessary major subordinate elements required to composite into a complete Marine Air-Ground Task Force, here Feb. 20.
- War Eagles Build Ties in Thailand NNS 21 Feb 2012 -- Sailors from the "War Eagles" of Patrol Squadron (VP) 16 visited Thailand to build regional cooperation and conduct training, Feb. 6-12.
- Germantown Arrives in Thailand for Port Visit NNS 21 Feb 2012 -- The USS Germantow, with embarked elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), arrived in Port Chabang for a scheduled port visit, Feb. 21, after completing the multinational exercise Cobra Gold 2012.
- 409th CSB supports mission in Horn of Africa Army News 21 Feb 2012 -- Members of the 409th Contracting Support Brigade, based in Kaiserslautern, Germany, regularly find themselves supporting U.S. Africa Command in remote parts of the African continent.
- Defense Health Board Receives Port Mortuary Review Findings AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- The Defense Health Board has received findings and recommendations from an independent review of practices at the Dover Port Mortuary in Delaware.
- High Speed Vessel Swift Arrives in Haiti, Offloads Project Handclasp Supplies NNS 21 Feb 2012 -- High Speed Vessel Swift 2 unloaded approximately $4 billion of Project Handclasp humanitarian supplies in Cap Haiten, Haiti Feb. 16.
- Army Wants to Change to Keep Soldiers ‘Excited’ About Service AFPS 21 Feb 2012 -- Army leaders are aware of the differences between field forces and garrison forces and look to minimize the differences, the Army chief of staff said.
- Navy Announces Changes to Imminent Danger Pay NNS 21 Feb 2012 -- Sailors will now receive imminent danger pay (IDP) only for days they actually spend in IDP areas, according to NAVADMIN 062/12, released Feb. 17.
- Medvedev: Russia Will Counter U.S. Missile Defense RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Russia will continue with the overhaul of its missile defense unless the United States drops its plans or proposes a scheme for a joint effort.
- S-400 Missiles Deployed in W. Russia RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- New S-400 Triumf air defense systems have been delivered to Russia’s Western Military District and will be put on alert duty in a month.
- Russia to Field First Arctic Brigade in 2015 RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- The first motorized rifle arctic brigade will be deployed in 2015.
- Northern Shipyard to Build 13 Warships for Russian Navy RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Russia's Northern Shipyard (Severnaya Verf) has a contract with the Defense Ministry to build a total of 13 warships for the Russian Navy.
- Russian Air Force to Receive New Attack Aircraft by 2020 RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- The deliveries of new close air support aircraft to the Russian Air Force will start by 2020.
- Russian Army to Get Boomerangs in 2013 RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- The Russian Army will take delivery of the first Boomerang armored personnel carriers in 2013.
- India plans to develop next-generation electronic warfare systems IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- India plans to develop new-generation Electronic Warfare systems to be fitted on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, aircraft and satellites.
- Russian Nuclear Sub to Arrive in India on March 30-31 RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine, the K-152 Nerpa, which has been leased to the Indian Navy, will arrive in that country on March 30-31.
- Taiwan MND supports domestic development of submarines CNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense supports Taiwan's domestic development of submarines if relevant expertise can be secured and restrictive factors addressed.
- Iranian Warships Return Through Suez Canal After Stop In Syria RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Two Iranian warships were reported to have passed south through the Suez Canal on February 21 after a stop in the Syrian port of Tartus.
- Two Iranian Naval warships deployed in Mediterranean Sea IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Two Iranian Naval warships have been deployed in the Mediterranean Sea for patrolling the strategic area.
- Iran not to stop naval development: Minister IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said on Tuesday that Iran does not halt its naval development.
- Belarus to Deploy More Russian Missile Defense Systems RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Belarus will equip a second missile battery with Russian Tor-M2 air defense systems before the end of the current year.
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/21/12 The White House 21 Feb 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 21, 2012 US Dept. of State 21 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 21, 2012
- General Dynamics and BAE Systems Demonstrate 81mm Precision Mortar Round General Dynamics 21 Feb 2012 -- General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics, and BAE Systems (LSE: BA) have successfully demonstrated a tactical version of their 81mm Roll Control Guided Mortar (RCGM) at Yuma Proving Grounds, Ariz., in January.
- Longbow LLC Delivers First Production Block III Apache Data Link System to the U.S. Army Lockheed Martin 21 Feb 2012 -- The LONGBOW Limited Liability Company, a joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, recently delivered the first production Unmanned Aerial Systems Tactical Common Data Link Assembly (UTA) to the U.S. Army for the Apache Block III helicopter.
- Northrop Grumman Completes UK E-3D Sentry Repairs in Louisiana Ahead of Schedule Northrop Grumman 21 Feb 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has successfully completed repairs to a wing spar on a U.K. E-3D Sentry Airborne Warning and Control System (UK AWACS) aircraft and delivered it to the Royal Air Force ahead of schedule.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 21 February 2012 United Nations 21 Feb 2012
- Senior UN officials highlight diversity and challenges of peacekeeping UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- The head of the UN peacekeeping operations underlined the challenging diversity of work undertaken by the department’s various field missions.
- U.S. 'May Have To Consider Additional Measures' To End Bloodshed RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- The United States says it will consider taking "additional measures" to end the bloodshed in Syria.
- White House Backs Red Cross Call for Syrian Ceasefires VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- White House officials are supporting a call by the International Committee of the Red Cross for daily ceasefires in Syria.
- Activists: Syrian Forces Kill 63 as Red Cross Seeks Daily Truce VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Syrian security forces killed 63 people in assaults on northern villages and a barrage of heavy shelling in the flashpoint city of Homs.
- Syrian Forces Kill 16 in Homs as Shelling Intensifies VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Syrian security forces heavily shelled rebel-held areas in the flashpoint city of Homs.
- Syrian Forces Fire On Damascus Protesters RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Activists say Syrian security forces have fired on protesters at a night demonstration against President Bashar Assad on the southern edge of Damascus.
- Syria: UN experts condemn arbitrary detentions, possible use of torture UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- A group of independent UN experts condemned the arrest of at least 16 people in Syria, including prominent human rights figures.
- Multilateral Group Meets Friday to Help Assad Opponents VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Foreign ministers from countries opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad plan to gather in Tunisia to help organize greater international support for the uprising against him.
- Russia Refuses To Attend International Meeting On Syria RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Russia says it will not attend a Western-backed international conference in Tunis about Syria's crisis.
- Moscow Declines to Attend Meeting on Syria VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Russia says it will not attend an upcoming international meeting to discuss the ongoing violence in Syria.
- Russia denies intending to participate in Syria friends conference IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Alexander Lukashevich denied some Russian and western reports on Russia’s intention to participate in a conference of Syria's friendly countries to be held in Tunisia.
- Russia Bows out of 'Friends of Syria Group' Meeting – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Russia will not participate in a meeting of Friends of the so-called Syria Group in Tunisia, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said.
- Israel Builds Fence Along Sinai Border VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Israel's concerns about southern border security heightened last summer when gunmen crossed from Egypt and attacked Israeli civilians.
- UN rights expert urges Israel to release Palestinian detainee on hunger strike UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- An independent UN human rights expert renewed his call on Israel to release a Palestinian prisoner who has been on a hunger strike.
- SOMALIA: Could London Conference mark a turning point on road to peace? IRIN 21 Feb 2012 -- Analysts say the London Conference on 23 February could mark a turning point in the country's quest for peace and stability.
- High Hopes, Tempered Expectations for International Somalia Conference VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron is preparing to host 40 world leaders Thursday in London to discuss how best to foster stability in Somalia.
- Rights Group: Protect Somali Civilians, Civil Society, Journalists VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Amnesty International said this week’s international conference on Somalia in London should add human rights abuses to the agenda.
- UN-run camps for Somalia refugees in Kenya enter 20th year of existence UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- The world’s largest refugee camp, the Dadaab settlement in eastern Kenya, was set up to host tens of thousands of people who fled Somalia following the 1991 collapse of the government.
- World’s Biggest Refugee Camp in Kenya Marks 20th Anniversary VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- The World’s biggest refugee camp, Dadaab, in northeastern Kenya marks its 20th anniversary this year.
- Nigerians Face Intimidation From Boko Haram VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- As many as 30 civilians were killed in northern Nigeria Monday when Boko Haram militants attacked a market and then engaged in a gunfight with police.
- Terror Label for Boko Haram Debated VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- A debate is taking place in the United States over whether the radicals should be labeled as a foreign terrorist organization.
- Darfur patrol returns home safely after rebel blockade, UN-AU mission reports UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- A 55-person patrol of the United Nations-African Union peacekeeping force in Darfur returned to its home base after the team had been blockaded for nearly two days.
- South Sudan: Japanese engineers join UN mission to build roads and bridges UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- A Japanese engineering contingent has arrived in South Sudan to join the United Nations peacekeeping mission.
- SRI LANKA: Calls mount for government action on war inquiry IRIN 21 Feb 2012 -- As the government of Sri Lanka comes under increasing international pressure to implement recommendations submitted by a presidentially appointed war commission.
- Azerbaijan Reportedly Arrests Iran-Linked Plotters RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Azerbaijan says it has busted an alleged terrorist group working for Iran's secret services.
- US Shares Israeli Concerns about Potential Iran Nuclear Weapon VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- The White House says talks President Barack Obama's national security advisor had with Israeli leaders underscored that the United States and Israel share the same objective.
- Salehi: Other countries besides Turkey may be ready to host talks with G5+1 IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that Turkey is ready to host talks between Iran and G5+1.
- Salehi says P5+1 talks may not be held in Turkey ISNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said the next round of talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany is likely to be held in a country except Turkey.
- Talks with 5+1 on Iran nuclear program, on agenda: Mehmanparast IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said that Iran’s nuclear program is among the issues to be discussed during upcoming talks with the 5+1.
- UN experts in Iran to discuss concerns of nuclear programme UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- A five-member group of experts from the United Nations atomic energy watchdog is continuing its visit to Iran.
- Iran: UN Team In Tehran For Talks, Not Inspections RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry says United Nations experts on the second day of a visit to Iran have no plans to visit the Islamic republic's nuclear facilities.
- Ex-AEOI official: Making reactor fuel in time of sanctions is positive ISNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The advisor of former Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Reza Khazaneh called making Tehran research reactor's fuel "positive" whereas the country is under sanctions by the West.
- Japan to win exemption from Iran sanctions IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Japan is likely to win an exemption from US sanctions by reducing its imports of crude oil from Iran by at least 11 percent per year.
- Iran to launch Fajr satellite in next Iranian year IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Caretaker of Iran's Aerospace Industries Organization announced Tuesday the domestically-built Fajr satellite would be launched in the early months of next Iranian year.
- Iran receives telemetry images from indigenous satellite ISNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The Head of State Aerospace Organization of Iran Hamid Fazeli said the country has managed to receive telemetry images from home-built Navid-e Elm-o Sanat satellite.
- Candidate List Announced For Iran Elections RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- The powerful Iranian body that vets election hopefuls has approved 3,444 candidates to run in that country's parliamentary polls on March 2.
- Yemenis Take Another Step Forward in Unfinished Revolution VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Yemenis turned out in large numbers to approve a new president, after a popular uprising led to a regionally brokered peace deal providing for Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.
- Yemen Holds Presidential Election RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- People go to the polls in Yemen to elect their president.
- Yemen Holds One-Candidate Presidential Election RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Yemen will hold presidential elections marred by political uncertainty and spreading anarchy in the volatile Arab nation.
- UN provides logistical support for historic elections in Yemen UN News Centre 21 Feb 2012 -- Yemenis vote in elections that will bring to a close more than three decades of President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s rule.
- China Rejects Pleas Not to Repatriate North Koreans VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- China is rejecting South Korean pleas not to repatriate some 30 North Korean refugees who were recently arrested in Chinese territory.
- Rodong Sinmun Dismisses Proposed "Reunion of Separated Families" KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The south Korean authorities recently let the south Korean Red Cross propose a working-level contact for "reunion of separated families."
- Rodong Sinmun on Five-point Policy for Great National Unity KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- It was a great exploit of general secretary Kim Jong Il that he set forth the five-point policy for great national unity.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Unit 842 KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea and people of the DPRK, inspected KPA Unit 842.
- Saudis Name First Iraqi Envoy In Two Decades RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Saudi Arabia has named an ambassador to Iraq for the first time since the former dictator Saddam Hussein's forces invaded neighboring Kuwait in 1990.
- ECOWAS Officials to Meet Senegal Party Representatives VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- An official of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has said the sub-regional bloc’s poll observer mission to Senegal is scheduled to meet stakeholders Wednesday ahead of Sunday’s presidential vote.
- Senegal Protests Dispersed with Tear Gas VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- After what began as peaceful protests, crowds were dispersed by teargas in Dakar’s downtown Tuesday, as opposition forces gathered to continue their demands that Senegal’s President Abdoulaye Wade abandon his run for a third term in Sunday’s presidential elections.
- Maldivian Parliament meets next week, early poll on agenda: Report IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- With the Maldivian Parliament set to meet next week, India hoped some sort of understanding would be made by then among the political parties of that country on the issue of early elections and necessary amendment to the Constitution.
- Mugabe Turns 88, Vows to Stay in Power VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has marked his 88th birthday with a series of interviews in which he insists he will call for elections this year.
- Medvedev Discusses Jackson-Vanik Repeal with U.S. Senator RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev discussed the prospect of repealing the Cold War-era Jackson-Vanik Amendment, a major hurdle in bilateral trade, with Max Baucus, chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance.
- Chavez to Undergo Cancer Surgery Again VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Venezuela's president says he is once again facing surgery to fight off cancer.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|