14 January 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- LCS-4 Christened Coronado NNS 14 Jan 2012 -- The fourth littoral combat ship was christened Coronado during a ceremony at Austal USA Shipyard in Mobile, Ala., Jan. 14.
- DESRON 9 Sailors Foster Relationship with Royal Malaysian Navy NNS 14 Jan 2012 -- Fourteen Sailors from guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett (DDG 104) and USS Momsen (DDG 92), ships assigned to Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 9, participated in a soccer game against members of the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) during a recent port visit to Port Klang, Malaysia, Jan. 9.
- Submarine Squadron 2 Disestablishes, Consolidates Four Attack Submarines NNS 14 Jan 2012 -- Groton-based submarine unit, Commander, Submarine Squadron (COMSUBRON) 2 disestablished and consolidated their attack submarines during an official ceremony at Naval Submarine Base New London's Shepherd of the Sea chapel in Groton Jan. 13.
- Commodore of Submarine Squadron 2 Presents USS Providence Battle 'E' NNS 14 Jan 2012 -- The commodore of Submarine Squadron 2 presented USS Providence (SSN 719) leadership and her crew with the Battle Efficiency 'E' during an awards ceremony at Naval Submarine Base New London Jan. 13.
- 607th AOC integrates with 8th Army's Joint Interface Control Center team AFNS 14 Jan 2012 -- Members of 7th Air Force and the 607th Air and Space Operations Center welcomed the 8th Army Joint Interface Control Cell team to the Combat Operations Division here, a historic move that will help resolve issues from working in a joint environment.
- 'Warrior Challenge' tests pillars comprehensive Airman fitness AFNS 14 Jan 2012 -- The 379th Air Expeditionary Wing held an event here Jan. 11 to highlight the importance of Comprehensive Airman Fitness in the Air Force. Ten teams competed in the event, called the 'Warrior Challenge,' which consisted of games, riddles, and obstacles that reflected the four components of Comprehensive Airman Fitness -- physical, social, spiritual and mental fitness.
- Combined War Exercises of S. Korean Forces in Areas along MDL Projected KCNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The 8th corps of thearmy of south Korea announced that it would launch combined military exercises in Kosong County, Kangwon Province of south Korea.
- Pakistan Army chief. President discuss security IRNA 14 Jan 2012 -- Pakistan's Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani met President Asif Ali Zardari Saturday evening amidst deteriorating relations between the civilian government and the military leaders.
- Pakistani President, Army Chief Meet With Aim to Diffuse Rising Tensions VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has met with the country's army chief for talks, amid rising tensions between Pakistan's civilian government and its powerful military that threaten to destablize the country's weak civilian government.
- Qatar Supports Sending Arab Troops to Syria VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- Qatar says it favors sending Arab troops to Syria to stop a crackdown on anti-government protesters that has left thousands of people dead.
- 53 Dead in Attack on Iraqi Shi'ites VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- A suicide-bomber handing out food and pastries blew himself up near a security checkpoint outside the mainly Shi'ite Iraqi port city of Basra, killing at least 53 people and wounding at least 137 others.
- Hezbollah rejects to disarm - Nasrallah RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2012 -- Lebanon's Shiite group Hezbollah will remain faithful to the idea of resistance to Israel and does not intend to disarm, Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said.
- In Lebanon, Ban pays tribute to vital role played by UN peacekeepers UN News Centre 14 Jan 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Saturday paid tribute to the men and women helping to bring peace to southern Lebanon, while stressing the importance of the safety of United Nations personnel serving in one of the most dangerous missions in the world.
- On Arab Spring anniversary, Ban commends Tunisians for progress achieved UN News Centre 14 Jan 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has commended the people of Tunisia for the progress achieved since the start of their revolution one year ago, and pledged the continuing support of the United Nations for their efforts.
- Tunisians Mark First Anniversary of Ben Ali Ouster VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- Arab leaders and top officials are in Tunisia to share in celebrations marking the North African country's one-year anniversary of the ousting of strong-arm President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. Tunisia's revolution sparked popular protests across the Arab world that also toppled leaders in Egypt and Libya.
- Egypt's ElBaradei Pulls Out of Presidential Race VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- Egyptian opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei has announced he is pulling out of the presidential race, saying democracy is yet to take hold in the country.
- FM Spokesman: Ahmadi's assassination case to be investigated IRNA 14 Jan 2012 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Saturday that international communities started investigations of Iranian nuclear scientist's Martyrdom Ahmadi Roshani.
- Mehmanparast: IAEA inspectors to visit Iran IRNA 14 Jan 2012 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Saturday International Atomic Energy Agency's inspectors will visit Iran probably within a month.
- President returns home from Latin America IRNA 14 Jan 2012 -- President Ahmadinejad returned home on Satyurday wrapping up a 6-day visit to four Latin American countries.
- UN secretary general condemns assasination of scientists IRNA 14 Jan 2012 -- United Nations Secretary general Ban Ki-moon said on Friday that any killing like that of an Iranian nuclear scientist in Tehran last Wednesday was to be condemned.
- President Ma elected to second term CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- President Ma Ying-jeou of the Kuomintang (KMT) was elected Saturday to a second term, defeating his Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) challenger Tsai Ing-wen with 51.6 percent of the vote.
- China pledges further peace with Taiwan under '1992 consensus' CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- China will take further steps to promote peace with Taiwan based on both sides' acknowledgment of the '1992 consensus,' a Beijing official said Saturday after President Ma Ying-jeou was elected to a second term.
- No rush for political dialogue with China: President Ma CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- Taiwan is in no rush to begin political dialogue with China as economic issues remain the priority, said President Ma Ying-jeou Saturday at an international media conference shortly after winning re-election.
- 'Mr. Clean' wins re-election in Taiwan CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- Campaigning on a platform of peace, stability and clean government, incumbent President Ma Ying-jeou of the Kuomintang (KMT) emerged as the winner in a keen presidential race, beating his main challenger Tsai Ing-wen by a comfortable margin.
- KMT maintains majority but loses seats in legislative race CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The ruling Kuomintang (KMT) managed to retain its majority in the Legislative Yuan, capturing 64 of the 113 seats up for grabs in Saturday's elections.
- Government formally announces election results CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- President Ma Ying-jeou, presidential candidate of the Kuomintang (KMT), won Taiwan's presidential election Saturday, the chairwoman of the Central Election Commission (CEC) announced.
- KMT retains majority but loses seats in legislative race (roundup) CNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The ruling Kuomintang (KMT) managed to retain its majority in the Legislative Yuan, capturing 64 of the 113 seats up for grabs in Saturday's elections.
- Taiwan Re-Elects President Ma VOA 14 Jan 2012 -- Taiwan's incumbent president, Nationalist Ma Ying-jeou, easily won a second term in elections on Saturday, giving him four more years to improve relations with China. Ma beat opposition leader Tsai Ing-wen by more than five percent. His victory is seen as a mandate to keep peace with Beijing while managing wealth-distribution issues at home.
- KCNA on S. Korean Authorities' Projected Mendicant Diplomacy KCNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The south Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade was reported to have submitted its "working plan for 2012."
- KCNA Commentary on S. Korean Policy KCNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The anti-DPRK smear campaign of south Korea has reached such pass that the service personnel of the KPA and people of the DPRK can no longer tolerate it.
- Threat of terror attack in Bangkok 'real and very credible' – U.S. envoy RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2012 -- A threat of terrorist attack in Bangkok is 'real and very credible,' U.S. Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney warned following the arrest of at least one man suspected of plotting attacks on the Thai capital, local media reported.
- Phobos-Grunt to crash into Pacific Ocean Jan. 15 - Roscosmos RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2012 -- Doomed Russian Phobos-Grunt Mars probe that's been stuck in Earth orbit for two months may finally come crashing down on Jan. 15 over the Pasific Ocean, Russia's space agency Roscosmos said on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|