08 January 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta: 'Sequestration' Would Upend Military Strategy AFPS 08 Jan 2012 -- The Defense Department's new 10-year strategy will go 'out the window' if the federal Budget Control Act's additional spending cuts go into effect next year, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- DOD Leaders: U.S. Will Remain World's Strongest Military AFPS 08 Jan 2012 -- The Defense Department's new, 10-year strategy will ensure the United States remains the world's strongest military power, DOD leaders emphasized in weekend interviews.
- Obama Administration Says No US Military Retreat Despite Defense Cuts VOA 08 Jan 2012 -- The Obama administration says planned cuts in U.S. defense spending will not degrade American military capabilities or the nation's ability to confront threats on the world stage. Nearly half a trillion dollars is expected to be cut from the Pentagon's budget during the next decade.
- Panetta, Dempsey Discuss Iran Situation AFPS 08 Jan 2012 -- Defense Department leaders agree international economic pressure represents a better option than military action in dealing with Iran.
- Russia to put new radar on combat duty near Irkutsk in 2012 RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2012 -- A new radar of the fourth Voronezh class will be put into operation near the Siberian city of Irkutsk by the end of this year as part of Russia's early warning system, a missile defense spokesman said on Sunday.
- Elite Iranian troops start exercise near Afghan border RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2012 -- Ground forces of Iran's elite Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have started military exercises near the border with Afghanistan, Iranian media said.
- Arab League Discusses Syria Mission RFE/RL 08 Jan 2012 -- Foreign ministers of the Arab League member states are meetingin Cairo to assess the performance of the organization's observer mission in Syria.
- Arab League urges end to Syria violence RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2012 -- Arab League ministers meeting in Cairo on Sunday demanded that the Syrian government and armed groups immediately halt all violence.
- Arab League Officials Vow to Continue Syria Mission VOA 08 Jan 2012 -- Arab League officials have demanded Syria abide by its agreement to end violence against civilians and have vowed to carry on with a monitoring mission that many in the Syrian opposition feel is ineffectual.
- Faced With Attacks, Strikes, President Pleads Nigerians For Support VOA 08 Jan 2012 -- In his televised address to the Nigerian people on Saturday, President Goodluck Jonathan appealed for their assistance and cooperation in dealing the country's burgeoning crises. Facing continued Islamist attacks, Christians in the north have started to flee in numbers that might have been greater were it not for the drastic increase in fuel prices last week.
- 'Birthday' documentary hails North Korea's new leader RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2012 -- North Korea's state television aired on Sunday a documentary about the new leader, Kim Jong-un, in which he inspects troops and maneuvers a tank.
- US presence in Persian Gulf unjustified: Defense minister IRNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi says the US presence in the Persian Gulf is not justified.
- Commander: Regional countries should protect security together IRNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Navy commander said regional countries can join Iran in military excercises and stressed that regional security should be protected by all countries of the region.
- Iran hails U.S. rescue of Iranian sailors ISNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast welcomed the U.S. Navy's rescue of 13 Iranian fishermen held by captors, calling for all countries' cooperation to fight piracy.
- Iran stages military drill in eastern border ISNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) ground forces launched military drill in eastern border.
- Iran says nuclear plant to gain full power generation capacity soon ISNA 08 Jan 2012 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Fereydoun Abbasi-Davani said Bushehr nuclear power plant would achieve full power generation capacity early February.
- Iran's New Uranium-Enrichment Site To Be Operational Soon RFE/RL 08 Jan 2012 -- The head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization says the country's underground uranium-enrichment facility "will be operational in the near future."
- Iranian Official: Iran to Start Enrichment at Underground Site This Month VOA 08 Jan 2012 -- A senior Iranian official says Iran will launch a second uranium enrichment facility later this month at an underground site that is well protected from potential air strikes by nations opposed to the Iranian nuclear program.
- Ahmadinejad Begins Visit to Latin America VOA 08 Jan 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad left Sunday on a five-day Latin American tour, which U.S. officials have dubbed as a sign of desperation for the country heavily sanctioned over its controversial nuclear program.
- Spies trying to disrupt Iran's upcoming elections arrested: Moslehi IRNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Intelligence Minister Hojjatoleslam Heydar Moslehi announced the arrest of several spies who, in line with the plots of the US government, wanted to disrupt the upcoming Ninth Majlis (Parliament) elections slated for March 2.
- Former Pakistani President vows to return to country this month IRNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf Sunday announced to end his nearly three-year self-exile and to return to the country between January 27 and January 30.
- Musharraf will be arrested on return: Pakistani minister IRNA 08 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik said that former president Pervez Musharraf will be arrested upon his return to home as arrest warrant has been issued for him.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|