24 December 2011 Military News
- Taliban militants attack Pakistani post, kill soldier IRNA 24 Dec 2011 -- Taliban militants launched a pre-dawn attack on a security check post near the Pakistani tribal region and killed a security personnel, local media reported on Friday.
- Taliban claimed responsibility for attack on Pakistani forces IRNA 24 Dec 2011 -- Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack on a camp of paramilitary troops on Saturday which killed 9 security men
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Texas Returns from Her Maiden Western Pacific Deployment NNS 24 Dec 2011 -- The Virginia-class submarine USS Texas (SSN 775) returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam after completing her maiden Western Pacific (WESTPAC) deployment Friday, Dec. 23.
- Army chief vows support to democratic process IRNA 24 Dec 2011 -- Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has reiterated that the armed forces have and will continue to support democratic process in the Country.
- Pakistan Welcomes Renunciation of Any Coup Plans VOA 24 Dec 2011 -- General Kayani speculation about possible military takeover of civilian government is 'misleading,' pledged army will continue to support democratic process Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani is welcoming comments from his military chief ruling out the possibility of a coup.
- North Korea Hails Late Kim's Son as 'Supreme Commander' VOA 24 Dec 2011 -- North Korea's state media on Saturday hailed Kim Jong Un as 'supreme commander' of the military, in a sign that the Stalinist nation's second generational transition of power is going smoothly.
- Indian Army rejects reports of Chinese army damaging 'wall' IRNA 24 Dec 2011 -- Indian Army rejected media reports on alleged Chinese intrusion at the Tawang sector in Arunachal Pradesh recently.
- Navy starts grand 'Velayat-90' drill IRNA 24 Dec 2011 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy started its grand drill called 'Velayat-90' in the country's southern waters Saturday morning.
- Iran launches navy drill in Strait of Hormuz ISNA 24 Dec 2011 -- Iran's Navy has launched massive drill dubbed 'Velayat 90' on Saturday.
- Russians Attend Mass Protests RFE/RL 24 Dec 2011 -- Tens of thousands have taken to the streets in Moscow and other Russian cities in the largest protest to date against alleged fraud in the December 4 parliamentary elections.
- Tens of thousands mass in fresh Russia vote protest RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2011 -- Tens of thousands of protesters rallied in Moscow Saturday to press demands for new parliamentary elections and wholesale liberalizing reform in Russia, turning the temperature up on Vladimir Putin and his plans to return to the Kremlin.
- Tens of Thousands Protest Alleged Election Fraud, Putin's Rule in Moscow VOA 24 Dec 2011 -- Tens of thousands of Russians have rallied on a Moscow street to protest alleged fraud in a December 4 parliamentary election won by the ruling party of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
- Russian spy chief resigns RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2011 -- The chief of Russia's military intelligence (GRU), Col. Gen. Alexander Shlyakhturov, resigned from his post on Saturday, the Kommersant business daily reported.
- Iran MP says invitation for IAEA inspectors, sign of peaceful N-work ISNA 24 Dec 2011 -- The Head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament Alaeddin Boroujerdi said Iran's invitation for the IAEA inspectors shows the country's nuclear activities are peaceful and are under the framework of the IAEA and NPT regulations.
- US Money Transfers to Somalia at Risk VOA 24 Dec 2011 -- The international aid organization Oxfam says thousands of Somali families could be cut off from much needed aid if a U.S. bank goes through with plans to discontinue its money-wiring services at the end of this month.
- Funeral for Damascus Bombing Victims Turns Into Pro-Assad Rally VOA 24 Dec 2011 -- A mass funeral in Damascus for the victims of a double suicide car bombing on Friday has turned into a strong show of support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, whose government is under pressure from a nine-month opposition uprising.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|