28 September 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- US Empowered Pakistan Spy Agency VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Adm. Mike Mullen set off a firestorm when he bluntly accused Pakistan's ISI of backing militants’ attacks in Afghanistan.
- White House Pressed on Pakistan-Haqqani Links VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- White House officials are facing questions about the top U.S. military officer’s recent controversial remarks on the relationship between Pakistan’s government and an al-Qaida-linked militant group.
- Pakistan Foreign Minister Says Committed To Afghan Peace RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani FM Khar says her country is committed to helping achieve peace in neighboring Afghanistan.
- UN: Violence in Afghanistan Jumps About 40 Percent VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The United Nations says violent incidents in Afghanistan have increased sharply this year.
- UN Report Shows Grim Afghan Situation RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- A United Nations report says Afghanistan is witnessing "considerable political volatility and disconcerting levels of insecurity."
- Forces Make Drug Sweep, Take Out Insurgents in Afghanistan AFPS 28 Sep 2011 -- Combined Afghan and coalition security forces made a major drug sweep and killed numerous insurgent fighters in separate operations in Afghanistan.
- Eight Afghan Policemen Killed in Attack VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Eight Afghan policemen have been killed in an attack by suspected Taliban militants at a checkpoint in the country's south.
- Eight Police Officers Reported Killed In South Afghanistan RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Reports from southern Afghanistan say eight police officers were shot and killed in an attack on a checkpoint in Helmand Province.
- U.S. Condemns Deadly Afghan Bombing RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- The United States has condemned a bomb attack on a bus in Afghanistan that killed 16 Afghan civilians, including 11 children.
- New Zealand SAS Soldier Killed In Afghanistan RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- A New Zealand special forces soldier has been shot dead in Afghanistan while taking part in an operation against insurgents near the capital Kabul.
- Kazakh Officials' Visit To Afghanistan Highlights Growing Ties RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Officials from Afghanistan and Kazakhstan have met in Kabul to discuss expanding economic and political ties.
- Afghanistan Plans To Bring Back Millions Of Refugees RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Afghan officials say an ambitious program is being planned to try and bring back millions of Afghan refugees living in Iran and Pakistan.
- US drone strike kills 2 in Pakistan IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- A US drone aircraft fired missile into Pakistan’s South Waziristan tribal region late Tuesday and killed at least two persons.
- Iraq Makes First Payment for 18 F-16 Fighters AFPS 28 Sep 2011 -- The Iraqi government has transferred its first payment for 18 F-16C fighter aircraft, bringing Iraq closer to independently securing its airspace.
- Laughlin sergeant creates formula, increases dust storm prediction accuracy AFNS 28 Sep 2011 -- The saying "leave it better than when you found it" is constantly used in the military with all the moving and relocating that is done.
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 27 Sep 2011
Defense Policy / Programs
- Daily Press Briefing by the Offices of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General and the Spokesperson for the General Assembly President, 28 September 2011 United Nations 28 Sep 2011
- DOD Announces Charges Referred Against Detainee Al Nashiri DoD 28 Sep 2011
- Pentagon Seeks Death Penalty for USS Cole Plotter VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- A Saudi Arabian man accused of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole will be tried before a military tribunal at Guantanamo Bay.
- Navy to Commission New Guided Missile Destroyer Spruance DoD 28 Sep 2011
- Military Sealift Command Accepts Navy's Newest Ship, USNS William McLean NNS 28 Sep 2011 -- Military Sealift Command accepted delivery of USNS William McLean during a ceremony at the General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard in San Diego Sept. 28.
- EMALS Successfully Launches E-2D Advanced Hawkeye NNS 28 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. Navy's Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System, EMALS, test team launched an E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Sept. 27.
- Wyatt: Air Guard is affordable, operational, accessible AFNS 28 Sep 2011 -- The Air National Guard is the affordable, operational, fully accessible force the Air Force needs during uncertain economic times, the director of the Air National Guard Lt. Gen. Harry Wyatt said.
- Warrior Training Center adds tank instruction Army News 28 Sep 2011 -- The Warrior Training Center has gotten into the tank business.
- 12 NATO nations join Guard for 'Bold Quest' Army News 28 Sep 2011 -- Indiana National Guard Soldiers with the 2nd Battalion, 151st Infantry Regiment, along with 700 foreign troops took part in Bold Quest 2011, a multinational exercise at Camp Atterbury Training Center held Sept. 8-23.
- ARRA Photovoltaic Project on PMRF Kauai Completed NNS 28 Sep 2011 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Hawaii completed its final inspection Sept. 20 for a photovoltaic system at Pacific Missile Range Facility Kauai.
- Fighter upgrade will not weaken Taiwan's air defense CNA 28 Sep 2011 -- The country's air defense capabilities will not suffer as its U.S.-made F-16A/B fleet and locally produced IDF fighters are upgraded.
- Russia's Yars ballistic missile fails test launch RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Space Forces confirmed the failure of a test-firing of a Yars (RS-24) intercontinental ballistic missile.
- Netherlands to join NATO missile defense program RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- The Netherlands will contribute to the NATO missile shield to protect Europe against missile attacks from countries such as Iran.
- India tests nuclear-capable missile IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- India has tested a short-range nuclear-capable missile.
- India, China joint mechanism soon on border issues: Antony IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- India will establish a joint mechanism with China in the next few months to resolve border issues.
- Iran Navy to build aircraft carriers PressTV 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran's Deputy Navy Commander Captain Mansour Maqsoudlou has announced the country's plan to design and manufacture aircraft carriers.
- Iran runs production line of Cruise sea missile ISNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran inaugurated production line of Cruise sea missile dubbed "Qader."
- Iran launches cruise missile “Qader” production line IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi launched the production line of the cruise missile dubbed Qader (the Able).
- Iran Equips Navy With New Cruise Missile RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran says it has equipped its naval forces with a domestically-developed cruise missile designed for sea-based targets and capable of destroying warships.
- Iran's army, navy get new anti-ship cruise missile RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran's Navy and the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have taken delivery of new anti-ship cruise missiles.
- Iran takes back initial payment for S300 air-defense system: Vahidi IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran took back the initial payment it had made for Russian-made S300 air-defense system, Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said.
- Iran rescues Russian ship from pirates ambush in Gulf of Eden IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Navy rescued a Russian ship from the clutches of the pirates in Gulf of Aden, said Navy commander.
- Moldovan Army Chief Sacked RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Moldova has sacked its top army commander Lurie Domenic.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, September 28, 2011 The White House 28 Sep 2011
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, September 28, 2011 US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2011
- DoD News: Contracts for September 28, 2011
- ATK Receives $58.7 Million Award for Continued Production of 20mm PGU Ammunition ATK 28 Sep 2011 -- ATK has received an order valued at more than $58.7 million from the U.S. Army Contracting Command, Direct Fire Munitions Branch, Rock Island Contracting Center (RICC), Rock Island, Ill., to produce multiple variants of 20mm PGU-series ammunition.
- BAE Systems Receives Orders for $63 Million to Deliver Seven Mk 45 Gun System Upgrades to the U.S. Navy BAE Systems 28 Sep 2011 -- BAE Systems recently received four contracts from the U.S. Navy totaling more than $63 million to upgrade seven Mk 45 Gun Systems to the Mod 4 configuration.
- BAE Systems ALE-55 Wins $36M Full Rate Production Contract BAE Systems 28 Sep 2011 -- BAE Systems received its first Full Rate Production contract for its ALE-55 Integrated Defensive Electronic Countermeasures subsystem from U.S. Naval Air Systems Command worth $36.7 million, exercising a contract option modifying its firm fixed price.
- Boeing KC-46 Tanker Program Completes Integrated Baseline Review Boeing 28 Sep 2011 -- The Boeing KC-46 Tanker program successfully completed its Integrated Baseline Review (IBR) with the U.S. Air Force on Aug. 24 at Boeing program headquarters in Mukilteo.
- Boeing P-8I Aircraft Completes 1st Flight Boeing 28 Sep 2011 -- Boeing's first P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy completed its initial flight today, taking off from Renton Field at 12:02 p.m. Pacific time and landing two hours and 31 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers Four C-130J Super Hercules Airlifters To Qatar Lockheed Martin 28 Sep 2011 -- At ceremonies today at the Lockheed Martin facility here, company officials formally delivered four C-130J Super Hercules airlifters to the State of Qatar.
- Security Council refers Palestinian application to UN membership committee UN News Centre 28 Sep 2011 -- The President of the Security Council referred Palestine’s application to become a UN Member State to the committee that deals with the admission of new members.
- Palestinian UN Bid Goes to Committee VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The UN Security Council took its first official step toward considering the Palestinian application for full U.N. membership.
- EU, U.S., China Criticize Israel On New Housing Units In East Jerusalem RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- The European Union and the United States have criticized the approval in Israel of the construction of 1,100 new Jewish housing units in disputed East Jerusalem.
- Russia 'concerned' over Israeli settler homes announcement RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Russia expressed concern on Wednesday at Israeli plans to build 1,100 more homes in an East Jerusalem settlement.
- EU's Ashton 'deplores' Israel's new housing plans in E. Jerusalem IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Tuesday slammed Israel's plan to build hundreds of new homes in the Jewish settlement of Gilo.
- Revoke new settlement plans, UK tells Israel IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Britain's Foreign Secretary William Hague has called on the Zionist regime to reverse its latest illegal settlement plans in Jerusalem.
- Gadhafi May Be Hiding Near Algerian Border VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The military believes former leader Moammar Gadhafi could be hiding in the western town of Ghadamis near the Algerian border.
- MPs to visit Libya to pursue Imam Mousa Sadr's whereabouts IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- A parliamentary team will visit Libya to pursue whereabouts of Imam Mousa Sadr.
- Yemen's President Remains in Office Despite Widespread Opposition VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh has managed to hang on to power despite a popular uprising, regional pressure, military defections and an assassination attempt.
- Yemen rebels 'shoot down' government jet fighter RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Rebel forces in Yemen have shot down a government Su-22 Soviet-built ground-attack aircraft not far from the capital Sanaa.
- World is watching how South Sudan builds new nation, says UN envoy UN News Centre 28 Sep 2011 -- The world will be watching to see that the commitments expressed by South Sudan’s leader last week before the General Assembly are translated into action
- Nigeria Committee Questions Use of Army Against Muslim Terrorists VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- In Nigeria, a presidential committee investigating violence in northern states is questioning the effectiveness of using soldiers to stop a series of bombings by Islamist terrorists.
- Thai Government Shelves Autonomy for Deep South as Violence Continues VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The Thai government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has back-tracked on a campaign pledge to establish a special administration zone in its troubled southern provinces.
- Russia ratifies Abkhazia, S. Ossetia military base deployment RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- The Russian parliament's upper house ratified agreements concluded last year with Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- Serbia, Kosovo Cancel Round Of EU-Mediated Talks RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Serbia and Kosovo have cancelled the seventh round of European Union-mediated talks between the two countries in Brussels.
- Russia 'disappointed' with NATO's reluctance to discuss Kosovo RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Russia is upset by NATO's unwillingness to discuss the situation in Kosovo at NATO-Russia Council sessions.
- Dagestan car bomb toll rises to eight RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- The death toll in a car bomb blast in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Dagestan has climbed to eight.
- Briefing: Six months into the Syrian uprising IRIN 28 Sep 2011 -- Thousands of people in Syria have been killed, injured, displaced or detained in a series of protests against the Syrian government since mid-March.
- UN Security Council to Discuss Future Sanctions Against Syria VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The UN Security Council is expected to meet to discuss a new draft resolution that threatens future sanctions.
- European States Drop Sanctions In New Draft UN Syria Resolution RFE/RL 28 Sep 2011 -- Calls for immediate sanctions dropped against Syria in a bid to get Russian and Chinese approval of new UNSC resolution.
- Russia against new draft resolution on Syria RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- Russia is against a new draft resolution on Syria put forward by Britain, France, Germany and Portugal and backed by the United States.
- Bahrain Upholds Life Sentences for Opposition Activists VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- A special court in Bahrain has upheld life sentences for eight Shi'ite opposition activists convicted of plotting to overthrow the government earlier this year.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2011
- Clinton Urges Early End to Emergency Rule in Egypt VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the United States would like to see Egypt’s interim administration end emergency rule as soon as possible.
- Mubarak's information minister jailed RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2011 -- An Egyptian court sentenced Hosni Mubarak's powerful information minister Anas al-Fiqqi to seven years in prison for corruption and misappropriation of public funds charges.
- Beijing Rebuffs US for Meddling in Chinese Affairs VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- China has rebuffed Washington for what it claims is more U.S. meddling in its internal affairs.
- Artist's Wife Asks China to Reject Secret Arrests Bill VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The wife of artist Ai Weiwei is urging Chinese lawmakers to reject legislation that would allow police to hold dissidents in secret locations.
- Iran will reciprocate cyber attack by US: Army commander says IRNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iran will reciprocate cyber attack by the US or its allies, head of the Operations Department of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier-General Ali Shadmani said.
- US nationals arrest not due to political issues: Iran deputy FM ISNA 28 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hassan Qashqavi said arrest of the US nationals had nothing to do with their nationality or political issues.
- KPA Takes Lead in Upholding WPK's Leadership KCNA 28 Sep 2011 -- One year has passed since a historic conference of the Workers' Party of Korea was held in September 2010.
- WPK Conference and Socialist Construction in DPRK KCNA 28 Sep 2011 -- The Conference of the Workers' Party of Korea was held successfully in the capital city of Pyongyang on September 28, Juche 99 (2010).
- Kurdish Politicians End Boycott of Turkish Parliament VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Turkey's main legal Kurdish political party has announced that it will end its boycott of parliament.
- Violence Plagues Civilians in Southwestern Ivory Coast VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Violence continues to plague civilians along Ivory Coast's volatile southwestern border with Liberia.
- Zimbabwe's PM Has 'Headache' Over Indigenization VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Morgan Tsvangirai, the prime minister in Zimbabwe's inclusive government, said Wednesday that what he called the "warped" policy of "indigenization" is frightening off potential investors.
- ICRC Increases Humanitarian Operations in Somalia VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross is ramping up its humanitarian operations in Somalia to meet the critical needs of famine-stricken Somalis struggling to survive.
- US Calls for Calm in Guinea VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- The United States is calling for peace and calm in Guinea, where witnesses report a second day of street violence on what is supposed to be a "day of national reconciliation."
- KENYA: Mau evictees still waiting three years on IRIN 28 Sep 2011 -- Evicted from their homes in 2009 when the government initiated efforts to restore Kenya's largest water tower, the Mau Forest Complex, thousands of the affected families are still without permanent shelter.
- Campaigning Underway for Cameroon Presidential Poll VOA 28 Sep 2011 -- Campaigning for presidential elections set for October 9 is off to a sluggish start in Cameroon.
- Readout of the President’s Call with President Karimov of Uzbekistan The White House 28 Sep 2011
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|