08 September 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 08 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 07 Sep 2011
- RAF and Navy take further action against pro-Gaddafi forces UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- The Royal Navy and RAF took further action against pro-Gaddafi forces in Libya under NATO's Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR.
- British Army's crucial role in Libya operation UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- The British Army is playing a vital - if uncelebrated - role supporting NATO's intensifying airborne operation over the troubled country.
- DOD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Jones via Teleconference from Afghanistan DoD 08 Sep 2011
- DOD Identifies Unit for Upcoming Afghanistan Rotation DoD 08 Sep 2011
- Combined Forces Detain Multiple Insurgents AFPS 08 Sep 2011 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained several suspected insurgents and wounded one while searching for a Taliban leader in Nangarhar province.
- 10 Years After 9/11 Afghanistan Remains at War VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Soon after the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, the U.S. and its NATO allies went to war in Afghanistan.
- Program Aims to Reintegrate Former Insurgents in Afghanistan AFPS 08 Sep 2011 -- An Afghan-led program to reintegrate former insurgents is helping to stabilize communities, districts and provinces.
- NATO Incorporates Afghan Ways into Training AFPS 08 Sep 2011 -- As NATO’s Training Mission Afghanistan works to build the country’s army, air force, and police, it is doing so with an emphasis on being “Afghan centric.”.
- NATO: ISAF Soldier Killed BBC Reporter In Afghanistan RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan today said that one of its soldiers shot dead a local journalist working for the BBC in July.
- Senior Afghan Official Denies Prison Torture Claims RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- Afghanistan's deputy justice minister has rejected claims that torture is widespread in the country's prisons.
- Pakistan's Military Pays High Price in War on Terrorism VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- The United States and its NATO allies have been fighting terrorism in Afghanistan since the terror attacks on New York and Washington in 2001.
- Pakistani Police Detain Dozens After Suicide Bombings VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Police say they have detained some 170 suspects in connection with suicide bombings that killed 28 people in Quetta.
- Twin suicide bombings kill 20 people in Pakistan IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Two suicide bombers killed at least 20 people, including security men in Pakistani southwestern city of Quetta.
- US Continues Troop Drawdown in Iraq Despite Dilemma VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Washington and Baghdad grapple with the dilemma of whether a smaller training force should remain in the country past a December deadline.
- Iraq's Kurdish Regional Leader Wants U.S. Forces To Stay RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- The president of Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government says U.S. forces will still be needed in Iraq in 2012.
- Chief of the General Staff responds to Baha Mousa Inquiry Report UK MOD 08 Sep 2011
- Dr Liam Fox responds to High Court endorsement of MOD's approach to investigating Iraq abuse UK MOD 08 Sep 2011
- Army Inspector's report into detainee handling published UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- An independent report into detainee handling by the British Army has been published today, Armed Forces Minister Nick Harvey has announced.
- Publication of the Baha Mousa Inquiry Report UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- Sir William Gage has today, 8 September 2011, published the report of his independent public inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Baha Mousa in Iraq in 2003.
- UK soldiers committed gratuitous violence against Iraqis, inquiry finds IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- British soldiers inflicted an 'appalling episode of serious gratuitous violence' on Iraqi civilians, inquiry into 2003 death found.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD News Briefing with George Little and Capt. Kirby from the Pentagon DoD 08 Sep 2011
- Defense-Intelligence Integration Strongest Since 9/11 AFPS 08 Sep 2011 -- The 9/11 attacks on the U.S. homeland forged a bond between the Defense Department and national-mission intelligence agencies.
- 10 Years After 9/11 Guantanamo Still Open, Still Controversial VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- The US Guantanamo Bay Detention Center gained notoriety after 2002 when images of shackled detainees hit the front pages.
- USS New York Arrives in NYC to Commemorate 9/11 NNS 08 Sep 2011 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced that amphibious transport dock ship USS New York will participate in numerous events honoring the victims and responders from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
- Limited Public Access to Pentagon Memorial DoD 08 Sep 2011
- Dempsey Reflects on Challenges Facing Department, Services AFPS 08 Sep 2011 -- As a new chief of staff of the Army prepares to run the largest of the services, the outgoing Gen. Martin E. Dempsey now prepares for his new role as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Construction Begins on SSN 787, Marking Unprecented Production NNS 08 Sep 2011 -- The Navy began construction of the thirteenth Virginia-class submarine, the as of yet unnamed SSN 787 Sept. 2.
- End of an Era for C-12 Huron in U.S. NNS 08 Sep 2011 -- Sailors at Naval Base Coronado marked the end of an aviation era Sept. 7 with a disestablishment ceremony for the C-12 Huron aircraft.
- Tennessee Goes From Green to Blue & Gold NNS 08 Sep 2011 -- USS Tennessee hosted a crew split and an assumption of command ceremony Sept. 8 at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay.
- Great guns: 100 years of field artillery might Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- Dr. Boyd Dastrup, FA historian, looks at some of the significant artillery pieces of the Army's previous 100 years.
- DTC provides comfort, eases transition for US service members AFNS 08 Sep 2011 -- The Ramstein Deployment Transition Center recently opened its doors to service members from other branches of the U.S. military.
- Silver Eagles land in Iwakuni USMC News 08 Sep 2011 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115 arrived here to begin a six month deployment as part of the Unit Deployment Program Sept. 1.
- USS Carr Completes Visit to Murmansk NNS 08 Sep 2011 -- The guided-missile frigate USS Carr (FFG 52) departed Murmansk, Russia, Sept. 5, after completing its third port visit to Russia since late June.
- Mighty Shrikes shake Kadena USMC News 08 Sep 2011 -- Pilots of Strike Fighter Squadron 94 Mighty Shrikes sent off practice ordnance for training here Aug. 24 as part of Habu Fire II.
- VFA-94 pilots display capacity to defend USMC News 08 Sep 2011 -- Pilots of Strike Fighter Squadron 94, Mighty Shrikes, executed and completed an aerial generator plant scenario during exercise Habu Fire II here Aug. 30.
- Spartan Soldiers become Spartan pilots during UAV training Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- Soldiers from 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division learn to enhance their war fighting capabilities during the brigade's unmanned aerial vehicle training.
- Pinpoint technology: MACS-2 tests future warfighting concepts USMC News 08 Sep 2011 -- Marines from Marine Air Control Squadron 2 assisted Headquarters Marine Corps by testing a new composite tracking network.
- Army researchers support joint experiment to speed communications using open-source technology Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- When the Army, Navy and Air Force maneuver in the same airspace, a straightforward request to engage a target often has to pass through multiple communications systems and manual approvals.
- JTF-HD and the Hawaii National Guard Prepare for a National Special Security Event Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- Preparing for a National Special Security Event is just one of many contingencies that Joint Task Force Homeland Defense and the Hawaii National Guard train for.
- Lessons learned from Exercise Atlas Drop '11 impacts relief aid in Africa Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- Utah's National Guard 197th Special Troops Company (A) hosted U.S. Army personnel along with counterparts from the Uganda People's Defence Force
- 2nd MAW to support Belize Defense Force USMC News 08 Sep 2011 -- Belize citizens will have a unique opportunity to see the United States Marine Corps’ newest combat utility aircraft in action in September.
- 408th CSB supports Steppe Eagle 2011 exercise Army News 08 Sep 2011 -- Personnel assigned to a contracting support brigade can expect to deploy in support of contingency operations any-where in the world, even under some very austere conditions.
- Iran-Russia Arms Dispute Damages Relations VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Iran's decision to sue Russia in the International Court of Justice to try to force the sale of an air defense system deepens crisis in relationship.
- CIS air defense units hold joint exercises in Russia RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- Units from a joint air defense system of the Commonwealth of Independent States are conducting exercises with live firing drills.
- 3rd War Games of IRI Air Force begins in Iran’s northwest region IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- The 3rd Great War Game of Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force, titled “Devotees of Realm of Vicegerency” began.
- Taiwan to produce potent new missile system CNA 08 Sep 2011 -- The Taiwan Ministry of National Defense will bring forward production of a new missile system capable of hitting airports and harbors along China's southeastern coast.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, September 8, 2011 US Dept. of State 08 Sep 2011
- DoD News: Contracts for September 08, 2011
- ATK to Relocate Corporate Headquarters to Northern Virginia ATK 08 Sep 2011 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK) announced today that it will relocate its corporate headquarters as of October 1, 2011 to Arlington, Virginia, where the company will expand its existing office space. The company will continue to maintain a strong presence in Minnesota, including approximately 210 Minnesota-based corporate employees.
- ATK Awarded $12.6 Million in New Medium Caliber Cannon Orders ATK 08 Sep 2011 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK) announced today a total of $12.6 million in new medium caliber cannon contracts. These awards will expand the company's production of its battle-proven 25mm M242 Bushmaster® and 30/40mm Mk44 Bushmaster® Automatic Cannon systems.
- Body Wearable Antennas To Help Lighten The Load For Soldiers BAE Systems 08 Sep 2011 -- BAE Systems has developed a series of Body Wearable Antennas which will reduce the load that soldiers have to carry whilst providing them with a high level of battlefield information and connectivity.
- BAE Systems to Showcase BLAST Helicopter Landing System for Degraded Visual Environment Operations at DSEi Exhibition BAE Systems 08 Sep 2011 -- During the Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEi) exhibition in London, BAE Systems will showcase its Brownout Landing Aid System Technology (BLAST), a situational awareness solution that helps helicopter pilots see in degraded visual environments (DVE).
- WORLD-CLASS PERISCOPE FOR SUBMARINES MANUFACTURED BY LOCAL COMPANY Denel 08 Sep 2011 -- South Africa is one of a select few countries in the world with the know-how and advanced manufacturing capacity to produce high-quality periscopes for modern submarines.
- ATK Conducts Third Successful Test of Next-Generation Solid Rocket Motor ATK 08 Sep 2011 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK) today conducted a third successful ground test of the next-generation solid rocket motor. The successful test, known as Development Motor (DM-3), is an important milestone in further validating the rocket's potential use in heavy lift and commercial launch vehicles.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers Another Super Hercules To Dyess Lockheed Martin 08 Sep 2011 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] delivered the sixth C-130J Super Hercules to crews at Dyess Air Force Base (AFB), Texas, today.
- SAIC Awarded $35 Million Task Order by U.S. Special Operations Command SAIC 08 Sep 2011 -- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) (NYSE: SAI) announced today it was awarded a task order by the U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) to provide enterprise-wide mission critical information technology (IT) services in support of command, control, communications and computer (C4) mission needs of the Special Operations Command, Pacific (SOCPAC) and the Joint Special Operations Task Force, Philippines (JSOTF-P).
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 8 September 2011 United Nations 08 Sep 2011
- Press Conference by President of Sixty-fifth Session of General Assembly, 8 September 2011 United Nations 08 Sep 2011
- More Libya Rebels Converge On Qaddafi Stronghold RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- Libya's interim rulers are reported to have sent more fighters toward one of Muammar Qaddafi's last strongholds, Bani Walid.
- Libya's De Facto Premier Warns Toughest Battles Still Ahead RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- Libya's new de-facto prime minister has warned that liberation was not yet finished, and the hardest challenges were yet to come.
- Gadhafi Says He's Still in Libya VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Ousted Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi is urging his remaining supporters to rise up against the new powers in Libya.
- Libyan rebel council vows fair trial for Gaddafi RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- Deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gadaffi will face trial on charges of crimes against humanity if he is captured alive.
- NATO has no information of Gaddafi whereabouts - Rasmussen RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- NATO has no information on where the ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi took refuge.
- Russian Official; Revolutionary forces: Gaddafi is still in Libya IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- A high ranking Russian official announced Wednesday that the ousted Libyan dictator Moammar Gaddafi is still in Libya.
- Libya will not buy Russian weapons - interim govt. RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- The new Libyan authorities are not planning to buy Russian military equipment, National Transitional Council chairman Mustafa Abdel Jalil said.
- Yemen's Ruling Party Agrees to Power Transfer VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Yemen's governing party has agreed on a proposal that, if adopted, would give President Ali Abdullah Saleh more time to relinquish power.
- Press Conference by Father of Captive Israeli Soldier Gilad Shalit, 8 September 2011 United Nations 08 Sep 2011
- Palestinians and UN – Statehood or Stalemate? VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Frustrated with the deadlocked negotiations with Israel, Palestinians are seeking a United Nations resolution that would recognize a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders.
- US Confirms Palestinian Statehood Veto Threat VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- The United States on Thursday confirmed it will veto any bid by the Palestinians to seek statehood recognition in the U.N. Security Council.
- Palestinians Launch Public Relations Offensive for UN Membership Bid VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- The Palestinians are hoping to seize the spotlight at the annual meeting of the United Nations later this month.
- Turkish Official Says All Not Lost With Israel VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- A Turkish ruling party official says Ankara has not eliminated all options with Israel despite imposing sanctions on the Jewish state.
- PM Erdogan: Turkey determined to implement punishments approved against Israel IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Turkish Prime Minister stressed announced punishments against the Zionist regime are just and authentic.
- Somalia Asks Neighbors For Security Help at Regional Summit VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Delegates from around the world met Thursday in Nairobi for the start of a two-day summit on confronting the drought crisis in the Horn of Africa.
- Somali Soldier Shoots 5 at Food-Aid Site VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Witnesses say a Somali government soldier has shot and killed at least five people Thursday at a food-aid distribution site in the capital, Mogadishu.
- MAC calls for China to give up use of force against Taiwan CNA 08 Sep 2011 -- The Cabinet-level Mainland Affairs Council called for mainland China to give up its use of force against Taiwan.
- 7th high-level cross-strait meeting may take place Sept. 28 CNA 08 Sep 2011 -- The seventh institutionalized high-level conference between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait may take place Sept.28 or Sept. 29.
- UN Chief: Syria Ignores Repeated Calls to End Violence VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- UN Secretary-General Ban: violence against Syrians has continued despite his repeated calls for President al-Assad to halt actions.
- Iran President Urges Restraint Of Syria's Assad RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has urged his Syrian counterpart, Bashar al-Assad, to back away from his crackdown.
- Syrian Forces Raid Northwestern Village VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Syrian security forces have pushed into the northwestern village of Ibleen as the government continues its crackdown on dissent.
- In Sudan, Calls to Overthrow Bashir VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- The party of former rebels in Sudan is calling for the overthrow of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.
- Egyptian Officer Says Police Used Weapons to Kill Protesters VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- An Egyptian security officer has testified that police and security forces used their weapons to wound and kill protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square.
- Egypt's Mubarak in Court Again After Judge Summons Top Officials VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was in court again Thursday, a day after an Egyptian judge summoned high-ranking officials to testify.
- Mubarak trial conducted under heavy security measures IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Hosni Mubarak, accused of order massacre of demonstrators in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, was brought to court on Tuesday and Wednesday for 3rd and 4th times.
- North Korean Power Struggle Options Discussed VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- North Korea watchers have gathered in Seoul to discuss the likelihood of various scenarios that could lead to a collapse of the reclusive state.
- After Seven Months' House Arrest, Iran's Musavi Visits Family RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- Iranian opposition leader Mir Hossein Musavi and his wife have visited their children for the first time after seven months of house arrest.
- Op-ed by Vice President Biden in The New York Times: China’s Rise Isn’t Our Demise The White House 08 Sep 2011
- Iran Accused Of Sanctions Violations RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- At the United Nations, the United States, Britain, France and Germany have accused Iran of violating UN sanctions.
- Bushehr Nuclear Plant operational by Sept 12 IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- Russian FM Spokesman Lukashevich announced that Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant will become fully operational and inaugurated on September 12.
- Russian ministry confirms Bushehr launch ceremony RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2011 -- The opening ceremony for Iran's first nuclear power plant, Bushehr, is scheduled for September 12.
- Venezuelan President to Continue Cancer Treatments VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez says he will continue his cancer treatments through at least November.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|