01 July 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 30 Jun 2011
- NATO tackles threat of attacks in western Libya NATO 01 Jul 2011 -- In recent days, NATO-led Operation Unified Protector has stepped up its military pressure on pro-Qadhafi forces in western Libya, disrupting attempts to increase their attacks on civilians.
- HMS Bangor arrives at Libyan coast UK MOD 01 Jul 2011 -- HMS Bangor has arrived in the Mediterranean where she will serve as part of NATO forces off the coast of Libya.
- UK to give more body armour to Libya rebels IRNA 01 Jul 2011 -- Foreign Secretary, William Hague, has announced that the British government is supplying further body armour and other equipment for use by the Libyan rebels in the latest efforts to overthrow Muammar Gadaffi's regime.
- Combined Security Force Kills Several Insurgents AFPS 01 Jul 2011 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed several insurgents and detained one suspect yesterday during an operation in the Charkh district of Afghanistan's Logar province, military officials reported.
- In Afghanistan, A Week Of Crises Raises Troubling Questions RFE/RL 01 Jul 2011 -- on June 23 -- Afghanistan has been in chaos for the past 30 years, leaving little room for optimism. But the events of this past week have shocked even the most pessimistic observers.
- Ceremony marks the completion of an aviation apron extension Army News 01 Jul 2011 -- The first phase of a three-part upgrade to increase ramp space on Kandahar Airfield was completed recently and celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony on June 26.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Petraeus Confirmed as CIA Director AFPS 01 Jul 2011 -- The Senate yesterday confirmed Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, currently the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, as the next director of the CIA.
- President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Matthew Olsen as Director of the National Counterterrorism Center The White House 01 Jul 2011
- Message to the Department of Defense from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta DoD 01 Jul 2011
- Panetta Pledges 'No Hollow Force' on His Watch AFPS 01 Jul 2011 -- New Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta pledged there will be no hollow force on his watch.
- DoD News: DOD Announces Information Technology Exchange Program Pilot DoD 01 Jul 2011 -- The Department of Defense announced today the availability to participate in a new pilot program that provides an avenue for information technology professionals to exchange best practices with the private sector.
- Education Program Promotes Relationships, Partnerships AFPS 01 Jul 2011 -- Walk into just about any U.S. professional military schoolhouse, and you're likely to see a surprising number of foreign officers and noncommissioned officers mixed among the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps students.
- Army/Boeing unveils new defensive vehicle Army News 01 Jul 2011 -- The future is pointed forward like a laser as researchers find ways to support and defend the fighting men and women of America and its allies.
- Army Reserve, Army National Guard to launch IRR Affiliation Program Army News 01 Jul 2011 -- Beginning July 1, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Soldiers and their Families will be able to tap into a geographically local military network of support to ensure their well-being and readiness.
- 2nd MAW wraps up massive East Coast exercise USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- Friday marked the end of the largest 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing training exercise in more than a decade, when Marines and Sailors up and down the East Coast successfully wrapped up MAILED FIST 1-11, after two weeks of field testing and operations.
- MWSS-374 builds new Osprey helicopter landing pads USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- An installation the size of the Combat Center comes with lots of maintenance, ranging from road repairs and replacing firing targets to building landing pads for the many types of aircraft that fly in to support training.
- New Wing Operations Center offers critical training opportunities USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- The 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing's recent large force exercise, Exercise MAILED FIST 1-11, breathed life into a brand new tool that leaders say will redefine the way 2nd MAW conducts training and local operations.
- Navy Awards Construction Contracts for JHSV 6, 7 NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. Navy awarded contract modifications to Austal USA June 30 to exercise options for the construction of Joint High Speed Vessels (JHSVs) 6 and 7.
- New Operations Facilities to be Built in Hawaii NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Hawaii awarded a $13 million, firm fixed-price task order to Watts-Healy Tibbitts Joint Venture of Honolulu, under a multiple-award construction contract for new operations facilities at Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) June 30.
- F414 Fleet Support PBL 2011 Renewal Contract Awarded NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- Naval Supply Systems (NAVSUP) Weapon Systems Support awarded an F414 fleet support performance-based logistics (PBL) fixed price, $437 million contract to General Electric (GE) Aviation, June 30.
- USS Whidbey Island, 22nd MEU Participate in Spanish PHIBLEX NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- More than 677 Sailors and Marines from amphibious dock landing ship USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41) and embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) participated in a bilateral Spanish Amphibious Landing Exercise (PHIBLEX), 20-29 June.
- Counselor Association Symposium Focuses on Balancing the Force NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- Navy personnel policy leaders kicked off the 23rd annual Navy Counselor Association (NCA) Professional Development and Training Conference in Addison, Texas, June 27 by addressing force shaping policies.
- Swift Brings APS to Ghana; Prepares for MEDFLAG NNS 01 Jul 2011 -- High Speed Vessel Swift (HSV 2) made a brief stop in Ghana to deliver goodwill materials and medical supplies that will be used for the upcoming bilateral medical exercise MEDFLAG 11 in support of Africa Partnership Station (APS) 2011, June 29-30.
- First Airmen graduate from new EOD screening course AFNS 01 Jul 2011 -- Six Airmen graduated from the first explosive ordnance disposal preliminary screening course here June 27. The revised and extended 20-day academic Air Force program gives Airmen a well-rounded vision of their duties while mentally and physically challenging them.
- Marines, Sailors endure heat, smoke during MAILED FIST field ops USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- Common scenes unfold at Marine Corps installations around the world. Marines stand guard around the perimeter, swatting at flies as they keep an eye out for the enemy. Harrier pilots receive their briefs in a hot, stuffy tent lacking air conditioning, then fly off to support troops on the ground. Convoys come and go, delivering the supplies needed to support the several hundred Marines aboard the outpost. The same scene played out recently on Marine Corps Auxiliary Landing Field Bogue in North Carolina.
- Marines learn to call in airstrikes during MAILED FIST USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- It looks like a scene straight out of a movie. Sleek shapes moving fast and low over a blasted landscape. Destroyed tanks and other vehicles litter the ground, many of them having been shot hundreds of times before. Marines on the ground communicate the target information to the helicopters in the air. Once the helicopters are on track, they launch their tube launched, optically tracked, wire guided missiles and pound the targets below. Once out of missiles, they return to Cherry Point.
- 31st MEU Raiders embrace amphibious roots, tactics USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- In the early morning hours of June 28, with darkness still heavy in the air, Marines quietly, stealthily launch the 10 Combat Rubber Raiding Craft into the still, warm waters of Kin Blue beach near Camp Hansen.
- Marines conduct CBRN training during ARTP 11-1 USMC News 01 Jul 2011 -- Marines with 3rd Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment, conducted chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear training at the East Fuji Maneuver Area here June 25 during a simulated radiological hazard scenario.
- Bulava missile to go into serial production - Defense Minister RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia's troubled Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) will go into serial production, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russia to create Arctic troops - defense minister RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia will deploy troops in the north to defend its interests in the Arctic region, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russian Armed Forces to stand at million servicemen RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- The number of personnel in the Russian Armed Forces will stand at one million servicemen and will not be downsized further, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russian experts to study Mistral-class warship maintenance in France RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Some 70 Russian military specialists will learn the operation and maintenance of Mistral-class helicopter carriers in France, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russia to start supplying submarines in Vietnam in 2014 RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia will start supplying Kilo class diesel submarines to Vietnam in 2014, a representative of state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Friday.
- 'With strong military, we can determine our own destiny': president CNA 01 Jul 2011 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said to military cadets Friday that the weak allow others to dominate their fate, and only when a nation is able to defend itself militarily can it determine its own destiny.
- Warmer cross-strait ties help Taiwan's preventive defense: Perry CNA 01 Jul 2011 -- Taiwan has actively improved relations with China over the past three years, a policy that has helped build mutual trust across the Taiwan Strait and is conducive to Taiwan's defense if viewed from a war prevention point of view, former U.S. Defense Secretary William Perry said Thursday.
- Taiwan will not request F-16 C/D quote without U.S. consensus CNA 01 Jul 2011 -- Taiwan will not present a letter of request (LOR) for the procurement and acquisition of any specific items of military hardware without prior consensus with the United States, a Taiwanese official said Thursday.
- July 1, 2011 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 01 Jul 2011
- DoD News: Contracts for July 01, 2011
- DGA orders third Barracuda DCNS 01 Jul 2011 -- Defence procurement agency DGA has placed an order with DCNS for the third Barracuda-type nuclear-powered attack submarine for the French Navy.
- Sea King radar at the heart of anti-insurgent operations Thales 01 Jul 2011 -- Thales UK's Searchwater 2000 airborne early warning (AEW) radar, fitted as part of the Cerberus mission system in the Royal Navy (RN) Sea King Mk7s currently deployed in Afghanistan, has been playing a critical role in helping crews combat Taliban operations with its state-of-the-art surveillance capability.
- Libya: UN team finds deep humanitarian needs in Nafusa mountains UN News Centre 01 Jul 2011 -- Humanitarian needs in the Nafusa mountains in western Libya remain critical, United Nations agencies reported today at the end of their first mission to the area, where they made an assessment of safety and access to civilians who require emergency assistance.
- France says Libya arms deliveries were for 'self-defense' RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- The weapons which France supplied to rebels fighting Libyan embattled leader Muammar Gaddafi were for 'self-defense' in line with the UN resolution, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said on Friday after Russia and others voiced concern.
- Libyan Rebel Strategy Depends on Outside Military Help VOA 01 Jul 2011 -- The admission by French officials that they have supplied weapons to rebels in western Libya could help explain the opposition's recent territorial gain. The advance has been one of the few breakthroughs in the rebels' fight against the government's professional army.
- MYANMAR: War flares in Kachin State, say locals IRIN 01 Jul 2011 -- Thousands of citizens have fled recent fighting between government forces and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) in Kachin State, the northernmost part of the country bordering China, raising concerns among community groups.
- ERITREA-SUDAN: Refugees battling for a better life IRIN 01 Jul 2011 -- The first official Eritrean refugees arrived in Sudan in 1968; today, an estimated 1,600 cross the border every month to seek refuge in Shagarab, a large camp in the east of Sudan.
- Hundreds Of Thousands Protest In Syria As 11 Reportedly Killed RFE/RL 01 Jul 2011 -- In one of the biggest outpourings of anger yet in more than three months of protests, hundreds of thousands took to the streets across Syria today to call for an end to abuses under authoritarian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Syrians Take to Streets as Clinton Warns Assad Regime VOA 01 Jul 2011 -- Activists say at least three people were killed by Syrian forces as tens of thousands took to the streets nationwide in protest of a continuing crackdown by the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Yemen: UN fact-finding mission gaining full access to protesters, opposition figures UN News Centre 01 Jul 2011 -- The United Nations human rights mission to Yemen is gaining access to protesters and opposition leaders, has the cooperation of the Government and is generally 'going well,' the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) reported today.
- Tens of Thousands Stage Opposing Rallies in Yemen's Political Crisis VOA 01 Jul 2011 -- Tens of thousands of Yemenis staged opposing rallies Friday for and against President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who is recovering from injuries suffered during an attack last month.
- Analysis: High hopes - and concerns - for Thai elections IRIN 01 Jul 2011 -- Thai voters go to the polls this weekend in what many see as a decisive step in the country's road to peace and reconciliation.
- Lee professes innocence in state fund embezzlement indictment CNA 01 Jul 2011 -- Former President Lee Teng-hui professed innocence Friday after being indicted a day earlier for allegedly embezzling state funds while in office from 1988-2000.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|