21 June 2010 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 21 June 2010 [PDF]
- Iraqis Arrest 10 Terrorism Suspects AFPS 21 Jun 2010 -- Iraqi security forces arrested 10 terrorism suspects in recent operations in Iraq with US advisors.
- Former Iraqi PM Confirms Assassination Plot Warning VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Iraq's ongoing political vacuum took a twist after Iyad Allawi confirmed that he had been warned of plots to assassinate him.
- Bomb Attack Kills 8 in Northern Iraq VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Iraqi officials say a bomb attack in the northern part of the country has killed eight people, including six police officers.
- 502nd Dental Company Redeploys From Iraq Army News 21 Jun 2010 --Exciting beginning to summer for the Soldiers and Families of the 502nd Dental Company, 1st Medical Brigade, as the unit returned from Iraq.
- Afghan, International Forces Strike Blow in Helmand AFPS 21 Jun 2010 -- Afghan and coalition forces struck a blow against insurgent operations in Helmand province over the weekend.
- 9 NATO Troops Killed in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- NATO says nine of its soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, including four in a helicopter crash in the south.
- Marines establish new contacts in unchartered territory west of Helmand River USMC News 21 Jun 2010 -- Marines from L/3/1st Marines inserted along the unchartered western portion of the Helmand River Valley.
- Marines maintain presence in Marjah USMC News 21 Jun 2010 -- Marines from I/3/6th Marines stepped into the scorching heat of Marjah, Helmand Province, Afghanistan, June 18.
- 'America's Battalion,' Afghan Army complete first task in Operation New Dawn USMC News 21 Jun 2010 -- Marines from L/3/3rd Marines, in partnership with the Afghanistan National Army, successfully completed their first task June 17.
- Marines tackle new mission USMC News 21 Jun 2010 -- The Transition Team Training Cell with II Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, prepares Marines for future deployments to Afghanistan.
- British death toll in Afghanistan reaches 300 IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Britain’s Ministry of Defence announced the death of the 300th UK soldier with the rate of fatalities reaching 13 per 1,000 personnel.
- Afghanistan Releases Taliban Suspects In Peace Bid RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- Afghan officials: Some 20 Taliban suspects have been released as part of efforts to persuade insurgents to lay down their weapons.
- Airmen mentor Afghan porters at Kabul airport AFNS 21 Jun 2010 -- For the Afghan National Army, the aerial port at the Afghan National Army Air Force base at Kabul International Airport is critical to resupplying troops in the field.
- Subsidiary of Former Blackwater Awarded US Security Contract in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The State Department has awarded a $120 million contract to the firm US Training Center.
- 'Negative Narrative' or Real Problems in Afghanistan? VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The Pentagon says reports of violence and corruption are creating an excessively negative impression of the country as a whole.
- UN: Violence Getting Worse in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Violence in Afghanistan has increased significantly compared to previous years and against seasonal trends.
- Corps of Engineers builds Afghanistan National Police Training Center Army News 21 Jun 2010 -- Site of the future training center is teeming with activity as Afghan workers construct concrete walls, grade adjacent land, and weld steel support beams.
- Russian military base in Kyrgyzstan could curb Afghan drug flow RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Russia's drug chief proposed a military base in Kyrgyzstan as part of global efforts to combat Afghan drug trafficking.
- Afghanistan witnessing rise in addiction - UN UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- Afghanistan, the world’s leading producer of opium and hashish, is seeing an increasing number of its own citizens taking drugs.
- UN: Drug Addiction Growing at 'Alarming' Rate in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- A new United Nations study says that Afghanistan, the world's largest opium producer, has become a leading consumer of its own narcotics.
- UN Report Finds Afghan Drug Addiction is Twice Global Average VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The United Nations says roughly eight percent of the Afghan population suffers from drug addiction.
- Security Council arrives in Afghanistan to assess progress, show support UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- Members of the Security Council arrived to review progress made by the Afghan Government.
- Tens of thousands of Afghan refugees go back home with UN support UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- An estimated 70,000 Afghan refugees have returned to their homeland so far this year.
- Car bomb kills soldier, injures 7 in SW Pakistan IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- A Pakistani soldier was killed and seven others were injured in a car bomb blast in Pakistan’s southwestern city of Quetta.
- Turkey Sends Troops To Iraq Border RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- Turkish troops deployed along the Iraqi border today after a raid by separatist Kurdish militants left 12 Turkish soldiers dead on June 19.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD News: Air Force Chooses Bases for MQ-1/9 Ground Control Stations DoD 21 Jun 2010
- Officials choose bases for MQ-1, MQ-9 ground control stations AFNS 21 Jun 2010 -- Air Force officials released their basing decision for the MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Reaper ground control stations June 21.
- Navy Official Discusses Climate Change Investment Strategy AFPS 21 Jun 2010 -- A number of recent strategic Defense Department documents have recognized that the changing climate may affect national security and military operations later in the century.
- Tinker squadron extends service life of first aircraft in Navy E-6 fleet AFNS 21 Jun 2010 -- Airmen from the 566th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron completed work on extending the service life of the first of 16 Navy E-6B Mercury aircraft.
- Truman Carrier Strike Group Transits Suez Canal And Enters U.S. 5th Fleet Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2010 -- Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) entered the 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) June 18 after completing a successful transit through the Suez Canal.
- FGS Hessen Detaches from Truman Carrier Strike Group Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2010 -- German frigate FGS Hessen detached from the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group June 19 following successful operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet Area of Responsibility.
- 1/25th Marines use Mountain Warfare Training Center USMC News 21 Jun 2010 -- Mountain Warfare is a different experience for the Marines who have spent countless hours training for urban and desert combat zones.
- Virtual Squad Training simulates patrolling techniques, tasks Army News 21 Jun 2010 -- Concepcion and his squad training at the Virtual Squad Training Simulation, or VSTS.
- High Tech Demo Army News 21 Jun 2010 -- Soldiers from US Army CASCOM and Tobyhanna Army Depot's Technical Publications and Provisioning Branch, work together to review and verify procedures in the Field Maintenance Manual.
- Albanian Armed Forces NCO Academy Visits USS Taylor Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2010 -- Enlisted members of the Albanian Armed Forces Non-Commissioned Officers Academy visited USS Taylor June 17.
- RED HORSE port team equips New Horizons Panama mission for success AFNS 21 Jun 2010 -- A 12-person logistics support team moved more than 200 pieces of cargo 250 kilometers from the port in Panama City to Meteti for New Horizons Panama 2010.
- Taylor Delivers Project Handclasp Supplies to Albanian Pediatric Clinic Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2010 -- Sailors from USS Taylor (FFG 50) delivered Project Handclasp donations to the Ledi Diana Pediatric Clinic during a port visit to Durres June 16-17.
- EOD Det Defuses World War II Bomb on Naval Base Guam Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2010 -- A four-man team from Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Detachment (Det) Marianas successfully defused a World War II-era 1,000 pound bomb aboard U.S. Naval Base Guam June 19.
- PTC seeks role in adapting Mistral for Russian Navy RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Parametric Tech Corp intends to participate in software development for construction of Mistral carriers if Russia decides to purchase them.
- Russian missile cruiser arrives in San Francisco on friendly visit RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- A task force from the Russian Pacific Fleet led by the missile cruiser Varyag arrived on a friendly visit to the United States.
- Lawmakers divided on whether to withdraw troops from Dongyin CNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Legislators expressed divided views on whether Taiwan should consider withdrawing troops from the outlying island of Dongyin.
- 6.18 Shock Brigade Greets Tenth Birthday KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Ten years has elapsed since the June 18 Shock Brigade started its work in the Mt. Paektu and Samjiyon areas.
- Press Briefing by Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton, 6/21/10 The White House 21 Jun 2010
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing - 21 June 2010 US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2010
- DoD News: Contracts for June 21, 2010
- General Dynamics Awarded $49 Million to Support the U.S. Air Force’s Distributed Common Ground System General Dynamics 21 Jun 2010 -- General Dynamics Information Technology, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a $49 million contract to support the U.S. Air Force’s Distributed Common Ground System (DCGS) and Project Liberty. The contract covers three years if all options are exercised.
- $40 Million Production Order For Nulka BAE Systems 21 Jun 2010 -- The Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) has awarded BAE Systems a 12th successive annual contract to produce additional rounds for the world’s most effective soft kill anti-ship missile defence – Nulka.
- BAE SYSTEMS - NAVISTAR DEFENSE - ARVINMERITOR TEAM DELIVERS AUSTRALIAN JOINT LIGHT TACTICAL VEHICLE PROTOTYPES BAE Systems 21 Jun 2010 -- BAE Systems, through its U.S. Combat Systems business, along with partners Navistar Defense and ArvinMeritor, delivered three right hand drive operation configured Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) prototypes in a ceremony on June 17 in West Point, Mississippi. Each of these prototypes will be sent to Australia for durability testing that mutually supports both U.S. and Australia interests.
- Boeing Begins Flight-testing B-1 with New Link 16 Communications Boeing 21 Jun 2010 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today announced the start of flight tests for a B-1 Lancer bomber upgraded with new digital avionics for the aft cockpit, including a line-of-sight Link 16 data link. The B-1 Fully Integrated Data Link (FIDL) made its first flight test on June 4 at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
- Lockheed Martin Team Completes Requirements Milestone for GPS IIIB Program Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2010 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] announced today that it has successfully completed a key requirements review for the Global Positioning System (GPS) IIIB satellite series under the U.S. Air Force's next generation GPS III Space Segment program.
- Lockheed Martin Receives $44 Million Marine Corps Targeting System Production Contract Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2010 -- The Naval Surface Warfare Center has awarded Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] a $44 million follow-on production contract for the Target Sight System (TSS), the fire control system for the U.S. Marine Corps’ AH-1Z Cobra. The agreement authorizes production of 18 additional units.
- Lockheed Martin’s Scorpion™ Successful In Flight Test Lockheed Martin 21 Jun 2010 -- A Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] Scorpion munition was successfully flight tested June 17 from a C-130 aircraft at Yuma Proving Ground, AZ. Ejected at an altitude of 5,000 feet through a Common Launch Tube on the aircraft, Scorpion successfully deployed its fins and wing, allowing it to precisely glide 1.65 nautical miles to the target.
- Northrop Grumman Successfully Demonstrates Naval S-Band Radar Testbed Northrop Grumman 21 Jun 2010 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has marked a significant milestone in the development of advanced surface warfare radars with the successful live outdoor testing of the company's S-band radar testbed.
- Raytheon BBN Technologies Awarded $17 Million in Defense Funding to Advance Rapid Foreign Language Processing Raytheon 21 Jun 2010 -- Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) BBN Technologies has been awarded an additional $17 million in funding by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in the final year of the five-year Global Autonomous Language Exploitation (GALE) program.
- Thales Alenia Space altimeter chosen for U.S. Navy satellite GFO-2 Thales 21 Jun 2010 -- Thales Alenia Space announced that it has signed a contract with Ball Aerospace covering the preliminary phase for the GFO-2 RA altimeter, which will equip the new-generation Geosat Follow-On 2 (GFO-2) satellite. This phase covers the definition, design and system compatibility aspects; the final contract for the production of the altimeter is expected by the end of 2010.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General - 21 June 2010 United Nations 21 Jun 2010
- Press Conference on Millennium Development Goals - 21 June 2010 United Nations 21 Jun 2010
- UNSC Urged to Properly Know about Truth of "Cheonan" Case KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- South Korea referred the "results of the investigation" into the case of warship "Cheonan" sinking to the UNSC.
- Moves to Revive "Conception of Principal Enemy" KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- South Korea stepping up the moves to revive the "conception of principal enemy."
- Obama, Netanyahu to meet on July 6 RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- US President Obama will meet Israeli premier Netanyahu to discuss "additional steps" to improve the situation in the Gaza Strip.
- US Warns Israel on Jerusalem Housing Demolition VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The United States warned Israel on Monday that a plan by officials in Jerusalem to demolish Palestinian housing to make way for a tourist center risks violence and could upset peace efforts.
- Jerusalem Moves Ahead with Plan to Demolish Palestinian Homes VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Jerusalem's mayor is moving ahead with a controversial plan to build a tourist park in Silwan.
- Jerusalem Mayor Revives E. Jerusalem Housing Plan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Jerusalem's mayor pushed ahead with a construction plan that would involve demolishing about 20 Palestinian homes in E. Jerusalem.
- Russia calls for end to Gaza blockade, easing of humanitarian crisis RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Russia has called on Israel to lift its three-year blockade on Gaza and make steps towards easing the humanitarian situation.
- Merkel deplores Israeli move to deny German minister's entry to Gaza IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- A spokesman for German Chancellor Merkel deplored Israel's decision to block German Development Aid Minister Niebel from visiting Gaza.
- UN and partners welcome Israel's easing of Gaza blockade UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- UN and its partners in the search for Middle East peace welcomed Israel’s decision to allow more civilian goods into the Gaza Strip.
- Three peacekeepers serving with UN-African force killed in ambush in Darfur UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- AU-UN peacekeeping force in Darfur vowed it would not be intimidated from carrying out its work after 3 blue helmets were killed.
- Swedish Oil Company Probed in Sudan Atrocities VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- A prosecutor in Sweden has opened an investigation into whether a Swedish oil company had any role in war crimes committed in Sudan.
- Court Decides in October if Senegal Can Try Chad's Habré VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- West Africa's regional court will decide in October whether Senegal can try former Chadian president Hissène Habré for crimes against humanity.
- Seoul: Pyongyang's 'Fusion Breakthrough' Produces Abnormal Radiation Levels VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- ROK government scientists have revealed that abnormal levels of radiation were detected near the border with DPRK.
- Signature Campaign for Peace on Korean Peninsula Launched in S. Korea KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- The general council of the Christian Presbyterian Church and the Headquarters of the Peace Community Movement of south Korea launched a signature campaign for peace.
- South Korean Christians warn of famine in North RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Representatives of S. Korean Christian churches and communities issued a joint address to the government to lift its blockade of the North.
- S. Korea's Campaign to Suppress Progressive Forces Slammed KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Pusan Police Office together with agents of the National Intelligence Service staged surprise search and seizure operations against the South Side Committee for Implementing the June 15 Joint Declaration.
- FM Urges US to Halt Its Smear Campaign against DPRK KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- The U.S. making much fuss that the DPRK is helping Myanmar in its "nuclear development."
- Feats of Kim Jong Il's Ideo-theoretical Activities Lauded KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il clearly indicated the road to be followed by socialism with his extraordinary wisdom.
- Story of Kim Jong Il KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- One day in April Juche 77 (1988), leader Kim Jong Il received news that a young miner was on the brink of death by accident.
- Iran and Turkey: Friends Today, Rivals Tomorrow? RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- It is the friendship Western policymakers wish they could have prevented: Turkey drawing close to Iran.
- Wait and See Game for Turkey's Enforcement of UN Sanctions on Iran VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- This month, Turkey voted against the United Nations Security Council's fourth round of sanctions against Iran.
- Iran Bars Two UN Nuclear Inspectors RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- A senior Iranian official says Iran will not allow two UN nuclear inspectors to enter the country over what he described as an "untruthful" report by the IAEA.
- Iran bans entry for 2 IAEA experts RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Iran has prohibited two International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) experts from entering its territory.
- 2 UN Inspectors Barred from Entering Iran VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The head of Iran's nuclear energy agency says two United Nations inspectors have been barred from entering Iran.
- Natanz nuclear site one of Iran’s safest facilities IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Natanz uranium enrichment site is one of safest nuclear facilities in Iran.
- U.S. envoy warns Pakistan against Iran gas line IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- US Special envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrookewarned Pakistan against a multi-billion-dollar Iran gas pipeline.
- Pakistan FM defends Iran gas pipeline IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan FM Qureshi defended the $7.5 billion gas pipeline with Iran saying Islamabad would take the project forward despite sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- In wake of crisis in Kyrgyzstan, UN agencies boost aid efforts UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- UN aid agencies and partners are stepping up humanitarian efforts in Kyrgyzstan.
- Is Bakiev Heading Home? RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- Kurmanbek Bakiev, the ousted president of Kyrgyzstan, could be returning to the conflict-torn Kyrgyz city of Osh - if rumors are to be believed.
- Kazakhstan, Turkey to cooperate in Kyrgyz crisis settlement RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Kazakhstan and Turkey will develop a joint plan on resolving the situation in Kyrgyzstan.
- New Kyrgyz constitution to prevent further conflict RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- The forthcoming referendum on the new Kyrgyz constitution may prevent further unrest in Kyrgyzstan.
- Ethnic Uzbeks Accuse Kyrgyz Troops Of Destroying Passports RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- Ethnic Uzbeks in Osh say Kyrgyz government troops raided their neighborhood, beating people with rifle butts and destroying their personal documents.
- Kyrgyz Authorities Raid Uzbek Village in South VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Violence flared again in southern Kyrgyzstan Monday, after authorities raided an Uzbek village, killing at least two people and wounding 23 others.
- Witnesses: Kyrgyz Authorities Conduct Raids on Uzbek Neighborhood VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Witnesses and human rights groups say Kyrgyz authorities have raided an Uzbek village in the south.
- Over 7,000 refugees return to Kyrgyzstan RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Over 7,000 Kyrgyz refugees have returned home from neighboring Uzbekistan.
- Semneby Downplays Fears EU Is Reducing Presence In South Caucasus RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- Peter Semneb is seeking to downplay fears in the region that the EU is looking to reduce its diplomatic presence in the region.
- UN Chief to Name Sri Lanka Rights Panel VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- UN diplomat: Secretary-General Ban expected to name a 3-member panel to advise him on alleged human rights violations during Sri Lankan civil war.
- Thai diplomat chosen as next head of UN Human Rights Council UN News Centre 21 Jun 2010 -- Thailand’s Ambassador to the UN Office in Geneva was named as the newest President of the UN Human Rights Council.
- Nigerian President Faces Re-election Challenges Within Own Party VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- In Nigeria, several prominent northern politicians have made it clear they don’t want President Goodluck Jonathan to run in next year’s elections.
- 'Positive' Campaigning Seen Ahead of Guinea Vote VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- A top official at the Carter Center poll observer team to monitor Guinea’s upcoming election has described as vigorous political campaigning ahead of the scheduled June 27 vote.
- Ethiopian Opposition Figure Appeals for Unity in Future Elections VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- The Vice Chairman of Ethiopia’s opposition Unity for Democracy and Justice has called on other opposition parties to bury their differences and form a coalition to challenge Prime Minister Meles Zenawi’s ruling party in future elections.
- Former defense chief Santos to become Colombia's new president RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Juan Manuel Santos, who pledged to continue policies of the current superpopular head of state, won a landslide victory.
- Poland Prepares for a Run-Off Vote VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Poland's first round of presidential elections resulted in the center-right candidate Komorowski beating the far-right's Jaroslaw Kaczynski by a slim margin.
- Acting Polish president Komorowski has 2% lead in early elections RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- With 15% of the ballots counted, acting Polish president Komorowski has a 2% lead over his closest rival in early elections.
- US Envoy Says China's Yuan Move Will Help Relations VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Top US diplomat in China says Beijing's move to allow a more flexible exchange rate has removed an "irritant" in Sino-US relations.
- Global Markets Rally on Chinese Currency Announcement VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- World markets are extending a rally which began after China announced it would allow its currency to appreciate against the U.S. dollar.
- Asian Markets Surge After China Unpegs Yuan VOA 21 Jun 2010 -- Asian stock markets rose sharply Monday after China said it would allow its currency the yuan to rise and promised more currency flexibility.
- Georgian Opposition Parties Realign In Wake Of Local Election Defeat RFE/RL 21 Jun 2010 -- The poor showing by opposition parties in the May 30 Georgian local elections mark the third failure within three years of an all-out effort to change the balance of power in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|