13 October 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 13 Oct 2009 [PDF]
- Oct. 12 airpower summary: A-10s make strafing runs on enemy position AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- General Links Future Success to Interagency Cooperation AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- Interagency operations are going to increase as the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan transition away from combat and into support and stability ventures.
- Fabrication flight keeps coalition aircraft flying AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- The 379th Expeditionary Maintenace Squadron's fabrication flight doesn't design new aircraft or build new planes for tomorrow.
- Iraqis Arrest Numerous Terrorism Suspects AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- Iraqi security forces, with U.S. advisors, have made numerous arrests of suspected terrorists in recent days.
- Maintaining SoI security north of Baghdad Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- American and Iraqi partners provide Sons of Iraq assistance and support to make sure the SoI have the resources to keep the peace.
- Task Force Wings takes to MND-N skies Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- Multi-National Division-North's combat aviation brigade transferred authority in a short ceremony at Contingency Operating Base Speicher.
- Obama: Afghan Troop Decision in Coming Weeks VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he will decide on whether or not to send more troops to Afghanistan in a matter of weeks.
- Pentagon Denies Report of 'Unannounced' Troops in Afghanistan VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- The Pentagon says story claiming it is making an "unannounced" deployment of 13,000 troops to Afghanistan is inaccurate.
- Afghanistan's Karzai Would Welcome More US Troops VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says he would welcome more American troops in his country.
- Obama Approves 13,000 Support Troops to Afghanistan VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Major US newspaper: President Obama has authorized the deployment of at least 13,000 additional support troops to Afghanistan.
- U.S. to send additional 13,000 troops to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Washington Post: US could send an additional 13,000 troops to Afghanistan.
- Moscow wants to be invited to NATO-Afghanistan talks - Lavrov RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- FM Lavrov: Russia is waiting for an invitation from NATO to take part in talks on Afghanistan.
- Forces Disrupt Terrorist, Drug Havens in Afghanistan AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- Afghan and international security forces have disrupted several terrorist networks in Afghanistan.
- Newly trained counter-IED teams deploy to Afghanistan Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- Servicemembers who participated in the first state-side training program for joint counter-IED teams have just arrived in Afghanistan.
- Marines light it up as sun sets on insurgents USMC News 13 Oct 2009 -- Marines with B/1/5th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 3, were engaged in a firefight.
- Command Opens Assistance Yard to Help Afghans AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- US forces are increasing reconstruction activities and changing the way they interact with the Afghan population.
- Afghan President Questions Vote Fraud Panel VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Afghan President Karzai has expressed concern about the UN-backed panel investigating reports of fraud in August's election.
- US Denies Aid Plan Intrudes on Pakistan's Sovereignty VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Obama administration and Congressional leaders reiterated that aid program for Pakistan would not impinge on that country's sovereignty.
- Pakistani FM in Washington on Aid Deal Concerns VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Pakistan's FM in Washington to convey his country's concerns about a multibillion-dollar US aid bill.
- Pakistani Fighter Jets Bomb Militant Hideouts VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Pakistani fighter jets have bombed militant targets in the South Waziristan region along the Afghan border.
- Suicide Blast Kills 41 in Northwestern Pakistan VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- A suicide bomber targeting a military convoy killed 41 people and wounded 45 others in northwestern Pakistan.
- U.S. Military Airlift Capability Key Following Indonesian Earthquake Navy NewsStand 13 Oct 2009 -- Getting urgently needed supplies to remote mountain villages in Southeast Asia has been a tremendous challenge.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Bill Carr From the Pentagon DoD 13 Oct 2009 -- Presenter: Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Military Personnel Policy Bill Carr
- DoD News: DoD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2009 DoD 13 Oct 2009 -- The Department of Defense announced today its recruiting and retention statistics for active and reserve components for fiscal 2009
- Services Show Record Recruiting Year AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- The military services’ active and reserve components notched record recruiting numbers and signed up the highest-quality recruits ever in fiscal 2009.
- Army, Air Guard Reach Recruiting Goals AFPS 13 Oct 2009 -- Both components of the National Guard reached their end-strength goals for fiscal 2009.
- Air Force meets recruiting goals for tenth year in a row AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- The Air Force met its active-duty enlisted recruiting goal for the 10th year in a row and met its chaplain and Officer Training School accession goals for fiscal year 2009.
- DoD News: USS Freedom To Deploy Early DoD 13 Oct 2009 -- The Navy announced today the decision to deploy the USS Freedom (LCS 1) in early 2010 to the Southern Command and Pacific Command areas ahead of her originally scheduled 2012 maiden deployment
- USS Freedom to Deploy Early Navy NewsStand 13 Oct 2009 -- Navy announced decision to deploy the USS Freedom in early 2010 to the Southern Command and Pacific Command areas.
- First LCS Mission Package Support Facility to Open Navy NewsStand 13 Oct 2009 -- Program Executive Officer, Littoral and Mine Warfare, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Port Hueneme Division and the Littoral Combat Ship Class Squadron will unveil the Navy's first Littoral Combat Ship Mission Package Support Facility Oct. 16.
- DoD News: Senior Executive Service Appointments And Reassignments DoD 13 Oct 2009 -- Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates announced the following Department of Defense Senior Executive Service appointments and reassignments
- The Readiness Core Enterprise - Improving Army Force Generation Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- To advance the enterprise approach, the Army is organizing 4 functionally oriented Core Enterprises.
- Thousands Line the Levees, Salute PCU New York Navy NewsStand 13 Oct 2009 -- Thousands lining up along the banks of the Mississippi River to bid the Pre-Commissioning Unit New York farewell.
- Ion Tiger Fuel Cell Unmanned Air Vehicle Completes 23-Hour Flight Navy NewsStand 13 Oct 2009 -- The Naval Research Laboratory's Ion Tiger flew 23 hours and 17 minutes.
- Air Force officials release results of T-38 accident investigation AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- An Air Force accident investigation board has determined that a failure in the rudder operating mechanism caused the crash of a T-38 aircraft.
- Brigade anticipates move into new building Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- The 470th Military Intelligence (MI) Brigade is relocating its Soldiers and civilians' places of duty on Fort Sam Houston.
- SOCEUR co-hosts multinational training in Croatia Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- Service members assigned to the US Special Operations Command Europe took part in Jackal Stone '09.
- U.S., India to begin Cope India bilateral exercise AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- Members of the U.S. and Indian air forces will train together during exercise Cope India Oct. 15 through 24 at Air Force Station Agra in Uttar Predesh, India.
- First helicopter flights launch in support of Natural Fire 10 Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- Need to inspect growing operations at remote village in northern Uganda relied upon the CH-47 Chinook helicopters from the U.S. Army Reserve's 11th Aviation Command.
- U.S. and African military officers prepare for exercise Natural Fire 10 Army News 13 Oct 2009 -- Soldiers from several East African nations continue to flow into Entebbe, Uganda in anticipation of Natural Fire 10 exercise.
- Air Force officials release fleece wear policy AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- The 98th Air Force Virtual Uniform Board released a policy message here Oct. 9 for wearing the new Air Force sage green fleece as an outer garment for the airman battle uniform.
- Solar array saves Air Force energy, money AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- A solar-energy array at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., is saving money for the Air Force and decreasing the service's reliance on fossil fuels.
- VA officials extend 'Agent Orange' benefits to more veterans AFNS 13 Oct 2009 -- Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki decided to establish a service-connection for Vietnam veterans with three specific illnesses.
- US, Russia Note Progress on Nuclear Arms Treaty VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov: US and Russia have made "considerable" progress on plans to reduce their nuclear arsenals.
- U.S. Secretary of State to focus on Iran, arms reduction in Moscow RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State expected to prioritize Iran's nuclear program and arms reduction during her talks with Russian leadership.
- Clinton, Lavrov optimistic ahead of talks in Moscow RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton: Progress has been made in bilateral ties, and that the sides expect productive talks.
- Russia, U.S. in talks on new missile defense system - Lavrov RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov: Russia and US will continue talks on a new missile defense system.
- France to open talks with Russia on warship contract RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- France has decided to start official negotiations on the sale of a warship to Russia.
- Medvedev to visit Kazakhstan on October 15-16 RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev will arrive in Kazakhstan on Thursday for a two-day working visit.
- Russian Conscript Found Hanged In Khabarovsk RFE/RL 13 Oct 2009 -- A young soldier was found dead in a military unit near Khabarovsk in Russia's Far East.
- Soldiers' Mothers Demand Alternative Service Option For Draftees RFE/RL 13 Oct 2009 -- Nongovernmental organization demanded that officials respect Russian legislation on alternative service for conscripts.
- Estonia urges NATO to hold land-based drills in the Baltic RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Estonian president: NATO should hold large-scale exercises of its Ground Forces in the Baltic region.
- Kazakh Su-24 attack aircraft drops a bomb on residential area RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- An Su-24 Fencer fighter-bomber has accidentally dropped a bomb on a house in southern Kazakhstan.
- 2 Irish pilots confirmed dead in military plane crash RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Irish rescuers have found the bodies of a flight instructor and a trainee pilot who died in a military plane crash.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 13 Oct 2009
- Briefing by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, 10/13/09 The White House 13 Oct 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for October 13, 2009
- Boeing A160T Unmanned Helicopter Flies With Foliage-Penetrating Radar in DARPA Tests Boeing 13 Oct 2009 -- The Boeing [NYSE: BA] A160T Hummingbird unmanned helicopter successfully completed 20 test flights from Aug. 31 to Oct. 8 with the Foliage Penetration Reconnaissance, Surveillance, Tracking and Engagement Radar (FORESTER).
- Boeing Advanced Tactical Laser Strikes Moving Target in Test Boeing 13 Oct 2009 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and the U.S. Air Force on Sept. 19 damaged a moving ground vehicle from the air using the Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL) aircraft, completing ATL's first air-to-ground, high-power laser engagement of a mobile target.
- Lockheed Martin Unveils First New F-16 For Pakistan In Ceremony Attended By Air Force Chiefs Lockheed Martin 13 Oct 2009 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] unveiled the first of 18 new F-16s being produced for Pakistan in ceremonies today at its Fort Worth, Texas, facility. Officials including the Chiefs of Staff of the U.S. and Pakistan Air Forces were on hand to witness the event.
- Northrop Grumman Opens New Facilities for Design and Manufacture of Unmanned Ground Vehicles in Coventry, UK Northrop Grumman 13 Oct 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) yesterday officially opened its newly extended UK facilities for the design, manufacture and technical support of the company's unmanned ground vehicles
- Northrop Grumman Awarded Army Security Assistance Training Contract Northrop Grumman 13 Oct 2009 -- The U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command and the Mission and Installation Contracting Command Center has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) a contract to support the U.S. Army Security Assistance Training Management Organization (USASATMO).
- Raytheon Achieves Site Acceptance Test for Two U.S. Air Force Intelligence Ground Systems Raytheon 13 Oct 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has accomplished two major requirements of the Distributed Common Ground System (DCGS) contract, completing the site acceptance testing of two operational Distributed Ground Systems: DGS-2 at Beale Air Force Base, Calif., and DGS-4 at Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 13 Oct 2009
- UN and national forces investigating reported explosion in southern Lebanon UN News Centre 13 Oct 2009 -- UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon investigating, together with the national armed forces, a reported explosion in town of Tayr Felsay.
- Israel Accuses Hezbollah of Violating Lebanon Truce VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Israel is accusing the Islamic guerrilla group Hezbollah of endangering stability in Lebanon after a mysterious explosion.
- Human Rights Council to discuss recent UN probe into Gaza conflict UN News Centre 13 Oct 2009 -- Human Rights Council announced that it will hold a special sessionto discuss UN report on Gaza conflict.
- Hamas urges probe into Palestinian's death in Egyptian jail RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Hamas accused Egypt of torturing to death in jail the brother of one of the group's senior officials.
- Security Council lengthen mandate of experts monitoring Darfur sanctions UN News Centre 13 Oct 2009 -- Security Council voted unanimously to extend the mandate of the panel of experts monitoring sanctions.
- SPLM Calls for International Pressure on Bashir VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement calling for more international pressure on President Omar Hassan al-Bashir to implement the 2005 CPA.
- Aid Groups Call on UN to Protect Civilians in Congo VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Aid groups said Tuesday that the human cost of a UN-backed military operation in the Democratic Republic of Congo is unacceptable.
- Congo, Burundi Pursue Ways to Protect Refugees Stranded by South Kivu Fighting VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- DRC negotiators have wrapped up what are described as a successful opening round of talks.
- Rebel Attacks Advance Deeper into Senegal VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Rebel attacks in the Casamance region of Senegal are moving deeper into the interior of the country.
- Georgian vice speaker calls Russia's terrorism claim 'absurd' RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Vice speaker of Georgia's parliament dismissed allegation that Georgia has been supporting terrorists in the Caucasus.
- Russia accuses Georgia of supporting terrorism in N.Caucasus RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Russia's security chief accused Georgia on Tuesday of supporting terrorist groups in Russia's North Caucasus.
- FSB Says Organizers Of Attack On Ingush President Killed RFE/RL 13 Oct 2009 -- FSB: Organizers of the June assassination attempt against Ingushetian President Yunus-Bek Yevkurov have been killed.
- Masterminds of attack on Ingush president killed - FSB chief RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Militants who organized an assassination attempt on the president of the North Caucasus Republic of Ingushetia have been killed.
- Turkey: Nagorno-Karabakh Settlement Critical To Yerevan-Ankara Deals RFE/RL 13 Oct 2009 -- Turkish PM Erdogan: His country "cannot adopt a positive attitude" toward Armenia unless it "withdraws from occupied Azerbaijani territories."
- GUINEA: Timeline since independence IRIN 13 Oct 2009 -- Guineans are reeling from a 28 September deadly military crackdown on demonstrators that witnesses call "indescribably brutal".
- West African Leaders Schedule Talks Over Guinea, Niger VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- The Economic Community of West African States has denounced the worsening political situation in Guinea.
- Republika Srpska Leader Calls Bosnia 'Unsustainable' RFE/RL 13 Oct 2009 -- Republika Srpska PM Dodik has called Bosnia-Herzegovina "an unsustainable country."
- Gambia Opposition Rejects Jammeh's Graft Fight VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Gambia's opposition has dismissed President Yahya Jammeh's sacking of the head of the army on suspicion of graft as a propaganda move.
- Court Upholds Bongo Win in Gabon VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Gabon's constitutional court has upheld Ali Ben Bongo's win in the August presidential election.
- 3 Indian States Hold Regional Elections VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- In India, voters in three states cast ballots to choose local governments.
- East Timor Government Survives No-Confidence Vote VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- There still is considerable anger over the prime minister's decision to release a pro-Indonesia militia leader charged with war crimes.
- Cooperation vital in run-up to Ivorian presidential polls - Security Council UN News Centre 13 Oct 2009 -- Security Council called on all parties in Côte d’Ivoire to join forces to complete the remaining tasks ahead of the much-delayed presidential elections.
- Former Ivorian PM Declares Candidacy for President VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- Former Ivorian prime minister Alassane Dramane Ouattara declared his candidacy for the country's long-delayed presidential elections, now scheduled for November.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|