17 March 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 17 Mar 2009 [PDF]
- Rusafa benefits from Krypton Knight III Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- More than a month has passed since the Iraqi Government held it's Provincial Elections in 14 of its 18 districts nationwide.
- Ironhorse MPs gear up for Iraq Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- Military police began their training on the personal security detachment lanes in Kuwait.
- Ironhorse hits the road with MRAPs Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- Soldiers from the 1st "Ironhorse" Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division started off their new rotation in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-10.
- 'Enormous Progress' Made in Iraq, But More Work Remains, Official Says AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Much progress has been achieved in Iraq, but there’s still work to be done.
- Iran: No Knowledge of US Report of Drone Downing VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Iran's FM spokesman: No information about a U.S. military report that U.S. forces shot down an Iranian drone last month over Iraq.
- U.S. Forces Say They Shot Down Iranian Drone Over Iraq RFE/RL 17 Mar 2009 -- The US has reported shooting down an unmanned Iranian aircraft over Iraq last month, some 100 kilometers north of Baghdad.
- US Lawmakers Caution Obama on Afghanistan VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is asking President Obama to reconsider the deployment of 17,000 additional troops to Afghanistan.
- Coalition, Afghan Forces Kill Seven in Bomb-making Bust AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed seven Taliban militants and detained 3 others during operations.
- Suicide bomber kills 9 in Pakistan IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- A suicide bomber exploded himself up near a bus station in the Pakistani garrison city of Rawalpindi, killing at least nine people, rescue officials said.
- Rescue Airmen support shuttle launch AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- Airmen from Patrick Air Force Base, Fla., supported the successful launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery March 16 from Kennedy Space Center.
- American servicemembers respond to overturned fuel tanker AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- Firefighters, medics and security forces from JTF Bravo provided mutual aid assistance to the Comayagua Fire Department.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Geoff Morrell from the Pentagon DoD 17 Mar 2009 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell
- DoD News Briefing with Kaye Whitley From The Pentagon DoD 17 Mar 2009 -- Presenter: Director DoD Sexual Assualt Prevention and Response Office Kaye Whitley
- Fiscal Year 2008 DoD Sexual Assault Report Released DoD 17 Mar 2009 -- Today the Department of Defense released the "Fiscal 2008 Report on Sexual Assault in the Military."
- Key Resolve and Foal Eagle Joint War Maneuvers in Their Height KCNA 17 Mar 2009 -- The Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises are in their height in the land, seas and air.
- Tankers Top Shopping List, Transportation Commander Says AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Commander of US Transportation Command: Acquiring a new fleet of Air Force tankers is imperative.
- Stratcom Prepares for Future Capabilities, General Says AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Financial crisis, nuclear proliferation and persistent warfare playing a major role in determining future security capabilities.
- Progress Made in Southcom Region, Challenges Remain, Admiral Says AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Top US military officer for Latin America and the Caribbean: Positive developments in the region over the past year.
- Iranian Influence, Terrorist Links, Threaten Latin American Security AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Iran is increasing its presence in Latin America, and Hezbollah is making inroads in drug trafficking in Colombia.
- US Military Commander Warns of Iran-Hezbollah Influence in Latin America VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- SOUTHCOM Commander: Iranian-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah involved in drug trafficking.
- U.S. Africom Promotes Stability, Security on Continent AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Nascent US Africa Command is promoting stability and security on the continent through military-to-military activities.
- US Lawmakers Consider Steps to Curb Mexican Drug Cartel Threat VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Members of the U.S. Congress are concerned that Mexican drug cartels pose a significant threat to the United States.
- Military Speeds Up Help to Mexico, Explores Boosting Border Presence AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- US working to speed up delivery of equipment and training to help Mexico to better confront violent drug cartels.
- Northcom Remains Vigilant Against Threats, Commander Says AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Commander of U.S. Northern Command: Continuing terrorist threat against the U.S. homeland “is real,”.
- Paratroopers validate Quick Reaction Force capabilities Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- The 82nd Airborne Division has always prided itself on having the ability to be a quick reaction force.
- GW Sailors Work to Enhance Radar Capabilities Navy NewsStand 17 Mar 2009 -- USS George Washington (CVN 73) (GW) Sailors are working to add a new capability to the ship's electronic detection systems.
- Air Force officials release F-15 accident report AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- A sequence of flight analysis and assessment errors by the pilot led to an F-15 Eagle overrunning the runway and all paved surfaces Nov. 13.
- Buddy Wing brings Kunsan, South Korean airmen closer AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- US and ROK airmen took part in aerial exercises designed to increase understanding and interoperability between the two forces.
- Hannam Village renovations move forward Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- BThe Hannam Village tower renovations are gaining momentum as demolition works are nearing completion.
- Undersecretary of Defense for Policy provides policy preview to TRADOC senior leaders Army News 17 Mar 2009 -- National security inheritance and key challenges new administration and military face key themes of at US TRADOC conference
- Science, engineering jobs available to transitioning Airmen AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- Air Force science and technology civil service career fields are in need of trained and educated applicants.
- Officials create Air Force Information Protection Directorate AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- Airmen will transfer responsibility for information protection to Information Protection Directorate at Headquarters Air Force.
- AFSO 21 helps ease finance program headache AFNS 17 Mar 2009 -- Experts came together this week to use the Vandenberg AFSO 21 program to overcome obstacles in the Management Internal Control Program.
- Defense Department Releases Sexual Assault Statistics AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- The Defense Department today released a congressional report that examines sexual assault allegations in the military services and sets policies for reducing incidents.
- Britain ready to cut nuclear arsenal, says Brown IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- PM Brown: Britain is prepared to further reduce its arsenal of nuclear weapons as part of a co-ordinated move with other nuclear states.
- Japan's Reckless Military Moves Criticized KCNA 17 Mar 2009 -- The Japanese Ministry of Defense on March 3 decided to dispatch Aegis loaded with SM-3 to the East Sea of Korea allegedly to cope with "threat".
- Japan's Moves for Nuclear Weaponization under Fire KCNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Japan is now very busy shipping a large quantity of nuclear fuel from France.
- French Parliament Votes in Favor of Bigger Role in NATO VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- The French parliament voted Tuesday in favor of rejoining NATO's military command more than 40 years after France pulled out.
- French MPs Set to Vote on Wider Role in NATO VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- French parliament set to vote on President Sarkozy's decision to rejoin the NATO military command.
- Russia to begin large-scale rearmament of Armed Forces in 2011 RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- President Dmitry Medvedev: A comprehensive rearmament of Russia's Armed Forces will begin in 2011.
- Russia Announces Large-Scale Military Rearmament VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- President Medvedev: Russia will increase combat readiness and undergo large-scale rearmament in response to NATO expansion.
- Russia begins mooring trials of Yury Dolgoruky strategic sub RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Russia has started mooring trials of the first Borey class nuclear-powered strategic submarine.
- Russia to put regiment of RS-24 missiles into service in Dec. RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Russia will put a regiment of new-generation intercontinental ballistic missiles into service in December.
- Second S-400 air defense regiment put into service in Russia RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Second regiment equipped with advanced S-400 air defense missile systems has been put into combat service in Russia.
- CSTO rapid-reaction force to hold exercises in Kazakhstan in fall RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Joint rapid-reaction forces of a post-Soviet regional security bloc will hold military exercises in September in Kazakhstan.
- Russian destroyer heads home after Somali anti-piracy mission RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Russia's Admiral Vinogradov destroyer and the Boris Butoma tanker have completed their anti-piracy mission.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 17 Mar 2009
- Briefing by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, 3/17/09 The White House 17 Mar 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for March 17, 2009
- ATK's Successful Long Duration Test Results Enable New Class of Hypersonic Propulsion Systems for Near-Term Flight ATK 17 Mar 2009 -- Alliant Techsystems announced today that it successfully completed testing for a new class of hypersonic propulsion systems that will enable High Speed Strike Weapons and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to travel long distances at velocities more than five times the speed of sound.
- Boeing Unveils New International F-15 Configuration Boeing 17 Mar 2009 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today in St. Louis unveiled the F-15 Silent Eagle (F-15SE), a new F-15 configuration designed to meet the future needs of international customers.
- EADS Defence & Security paves the way to new generation of civil air traffic control EADS 17 Mar 2009 -- EADS Defence & Security (DS) has established the most advanced secondary radar system for air traffic control (ATC) purposes in the Philippines.
- General Dynamics NASSCO Lays Keel of Tenth T-AKE Ship General Dynamics 17 Mar 2009 -- General Dynamics NASSCO, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), today laid the keel for USNS Charles Drew, the tenth dry cargo-ammunition ship in the U.S. Navy’s T-AKE program. Construction of the Charles Drew began in October. The ship is scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in the third quarter of 2010.
- L-3 Selected for U.S. Army STOC II Program L-3 Communications 17 Mar 2009 -- L-3 Communications (NYSE: LLL) announced today that it has been selected as one of multiple awardees for the U.S. Army Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training and Instrumentation Omnibus Contract (STOC II).
- DCNS teams with CPI to win €12 million telemetry contract DCNS 17 Mar 2009 -- DCNS and CPI, a world leader in telemetry antenna systems, have been selected by the French defence procurement agency (DGA) for a seven-year contract worth €12 million to replace and support 19 telemetry antennas at seven DGA sites, including the CELM missile range in southwest France, the CEV flight test centre and aboard the Monge* missile tracking ship.
- Northrop Grumman to Begin Development and Operational Testing of Multi-Role Data Link System for the U.S. Army Northrop Grumman 17 Mar 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has received a contract to developmentally test and operationally test the U.S. Army's Multi-Role Tactical Common Data Link (MR-TCDL). The Defense Micro-Electronics Activity awarded the 30-month, $69 million contract to support the Army's Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC).
- U.S. Air Force Accepts First Delivery of Raytheon Miniature Air Launched Decoy Raytheon 17 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. Air Force accepted delivery of Raytheon Company's first Miniature Air Launched Decoy low rate initial production unit.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 17 Mar 2009
- Olmert Rejects Hamas Proposed Prisoner Swap VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Israel says indirect negotiations with the militant Islamic group Hamas have failed.
- Palestinian, Israeli negotiations end in deadlock RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- After two days of intensive talks with Palestinian militants, Tel Aviv said in a press release that it was back to square one.
- EU reiterates call for end to Israeli settlements IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- EU reaffirmed its call for an end to the construction of Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
- Clinton Says Bashir Will Be Held Responsible for Darfur Deaths VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton: Sudanese President al-Bashir will be held responsible for any deaths caused by his decision to expel foreign aid groups.
- UN condemns fatal ambush of Darfur peacekeepers UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- UNAMID condemned an ambush that led to the death of one blue helmet, the second such attack on peacekeepers in the strife-torn region of Sudan in a week.
- Sri Lankan Government Rejects Rebel Appeal For Truce VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- In Sri Lanka, the government has rejected an appeal by the European Union for a cease-fire with Tamil Tiger rebels.
- UN protests Tamil Tigers recruiting children forcibly in Sri Lanka IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- The UN has protested to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam against the forcible recruitment of staff and their dependent children.
- 40 Tamil Tigers killed in Lanka IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Sri Lankan troops killed about 40 Tamil guerrillas in fierce battles in the last rebel-held area of Puthukudiyiruppu in the northern war zone.
- SOMALIA: Abducted UN staff released unharmed IRIN 17 Mar 2009 -- Four UN staff members abducted by unknown armed men on 16 March in Wajid town have been released unharmed some hours later.
- DR Congo conflicts threaten people's already-shaky living conditions - UN official UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- Although spotlight has been on east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo , violations have been occurring in other parts of the nation.
- UN Security Council Welcomes Military Transfer from EU to UN in Chad/CAR VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- UN Security Council welcomed the successful transfer of authority from European forces to UN peacekeepers in Chad and the Central African Republic.
- Security Council welcomes blue helmets taking over in Chad, Central African Republic UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- Security Council welcomed successful transfer of authority from European forces to UN peacekeepers in Chad and the Central African Republic.
- PHILIPPINES: Fresh appeals to release ICRC hostages IRIN 17 Mar 2009 -- Two days of intense clashes between government troops and Islamic Abu Sayyaf militants left three soldiers dead and more than 13 wounded.
- Indian security on alert in Kashmir IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Following new spurt in militant activities Indian army has launched a massive anti-militant sweep in various frontier areas of Kashmir.
- Abkhazia will remain independent from Russia - Bagapsh RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Abkhazian President Bagapsh: Republic had no plans to become a part of Russia, the Russian daily paper Izvestia reported.
- Russia signs financial aid deals with Abkhazia, South Ossetia RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Russia signed agreements with Abkhazia and S Ossetia on giving the republics financial aid.
- Georgia Will Not Extradite Russian Army Deserter RFE/RL 17 Mar 2009 -- Georgia will not extradite Russian army deserter Sergeant Aleksandr Glukhov, RFE/RL's Russian service reports.
- Russian fugitive soldier in S.Ossetia faces desertion charges RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- A Russian soldier who abandoned his military unit in S Ossetia and crossed the border into Georgia is facing desertion charges.
- Ban urges Madagascar parties to act responsibly following President's resignation UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties in Madagascar to ensure stability and a smooth democratic transition following the resignation of President Marc Ravalomanana.
- Madagascar Opposition Leader to Occupy Presidential Office Tuesday VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Deposed Antananarivo Mayor Andry Rajoelina is expected to occupy the official administrative center of the presidency Tuesday after ordering the arrest of President Marc Ravalomana.
- US Says North Korea Rejects Further Food Aid VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- In the latest of a series of moves toward apparent self-isolation, DPRK has informed the US that it no longer wants American food assistance.
- North Korea demands US stop humanitarian aid supplies RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- US would stop humanitarian aid supplies to N Korea after the state requested Washington discontinue the program.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Promises to Restore Democracy in Key Province VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Pakistani Prime Minster Yousuf Gilani has promised to restore democracy in a politically important province.
- Reinstating judges important step in restoring rule of law in Pakistan - UN official UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- UN human rights chief has welcomed the Pakistani Government’s decision to reinstate judges.
- Pakistani President Signs Order to Reinstate Deposed Supreme Court Chief Justice VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Pakstian's president has signed an order formally reinstating Supreme Court Chief Justice Chaudhry.
- Expectations High for Pakistan's Former Chief Justice VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Pakistan's government has issued notice that paves the way for re-instatement of former chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry.
- Pakistan former PM Nawaz Sharif ends anti-govt long march IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Pakistan's former PM Sharif announced that he has decided to end 'Long March' after the PM reinstated the deposed chief justice.
- New Philippine Border Law Re-ignites Territorial Disputes in South China Sea VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- New Philippine law reasserting claim to disputed islands in the South China Sea has rankled its neighbors.
- Khatami Withdrawal Shakes Up Iran Presidential Race VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Former President Khatami's sudden withdrawal from presidential race has led some to question whether he actually intended to run.
- Majlis speaker denies any dispute among Iran's power branches IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Tuesday there is no political dispute between the IRI power branches.
- Thai court holds hearings on alleged Russian arms dealer RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- A Thai court is holding another round of hearings on extradition of a Russian businessman accused of conspiracy to sell arms to Colombian rebels.
- UN tribunal hands down 20-year sentence to former top Bosnian Serb official UN News Centre 17 Mar 2009 -- The appeals chamber of the United Nations war crimes tribunal set up after the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s today upheld earlier convictions of a former top Bosnian Serb official and sentenced him to 20 years in prison for deportations, forcible transfer and persecution of non-Serb civilians during the conflict in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Malaysia's Ruling Party In Turmoil VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Malaysia's ruling party is in turmoil Tuesday after the party barred one of its senior members from running for a leadership post later this month.
- Successful launch for ESA's GOCE satellite built by Thales Alenia Space Thales 17 Mar 2009 -- The GOCE (Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer) satellite was successfully launched today from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in Northern Russia. Developed and integrated by Thales Alenia Space for the European Space Agency (ESA), GOCE is the most sophisticated mission ever to investigate the Earth's gravitational field and to map the reference shape of our planet - the geoid - with unprecedented resolution and accuracy. It will also provide invaluable insight to better understand our climate and ocean circulation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|