20 February 2009 Military News
- Feb. 19 airpower summary: F-16s protect coalition forces AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and ISAF troops in Afghanistan during operations.
- U.S. military fields 10,000th MRAP MNF-I 20 Feb 2009 -- The U.S. military fielded its 10,000th mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle in Iraq Feb. 20 during a ceremony on Camp Liberty, just 22 months after it was first introduced into the theater of operations
- Iraqi, U.S. Soldiers Find Bombs in Baghdad AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- Iraqi and U.S. forces found four explosive devices in Baghdad on Feb. 17, military officials reported.
- On the Ground: Meetings Pave Way for Continued Progress in Iraq AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- Key meetings this week helped to pave the way for the Iraqi navy to assume security responsibility for an offshore oil platform.
- Wisconsin Guard Heads for Iraq in Largest Deployment Since WWII AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- 32nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team off to Iraq in the Wisconsin National Guard’s largest deployment since World War II.
- Obama: Bilateral Cooperation Critical to Enduring Mission in Afghanistan AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- President Obama emphasized importance of strong bilateral cooperation to confront global challenges.
- Afghanistan Operations Leave 18 Militants Dead AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- Operations in Afghanistan left up to 18 militants dead and another one captured.
- Kyrgyz government finalizes decision to close Manas AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- The government of the Kyrgyz Republic finalized the decision to close Manas Air Base, Feb. 20, after seven years of support to operations in Afghanistan.
- Italy plans to send more troops to Afghanistan during elections RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- Italy could temporarily increase its military contingent in Afghanistan during August presidential elections.
- NATO Ministers Announce More Aid to Afghanistan, Prep for April Summit AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- NATO nations are coming through with military and civilian commitments to Afghanistan.
- NATO Countries to Boost Presence in Afghanistan VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates: More countries engaged in Afghanistan are increasing military and civilian contributions.
- US Defense Chief Says Obama Will Ask NATO for More Help in Afghanistan VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- US SecDef Gates: 20 countries have decided to boost their contributions to that counterinsurgency effort.
- Fate Of Manas Still To Be Determined, Former Official Says RFE/RL 20 Feb 2009 -- Former Kyrgyz FM: Negotiations between the US and Russia will be the deciding factor in the fate of the Manas air base.
- U.S. Moves Suggest Afghan NATO Supply-Route Talks With Kyrgyzstan RFE/RL 20 Feb 2009 -- Kyrgyzstan's eviction of U.S. forces from an air base was seen as setback for NATO efforts to expand in Afghanistan.
- U.S. may look at Turkey following Kyrgyz base closure RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- Washington may look at setting up a military base in the Black Sea city of Trabzon in Turkey.
- Najjar supports Kyrgyzstan's decision to close US base IRNA 20 Feb 2009 -- Iran's Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar supported Kyrgyzstan's decision to close the US military base.
- U.S. Given Six Months to Vacate Base in Kyrgyzstan, Talks Continue AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- Kyrgyzstan has given US 6 months to leave Manas Air Base.
- Kyrgyz president signs decree on U.S. base withdrawal RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- Kyrgyz President Bakiyev signed decree to close a US airbase used to support operations in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan's regional govt. orders end to NATO transportation station IRNA 20 Feb 2009 -- A regional government in Pakistan ordered closure of a transportation station for NATO forces in Afghanistan.
- Blast in Pakistan Targets Shi'ite Funeral VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Pakistani police: Suicide bomb blast hit the funeral of a slain Shi'ite Muslim leader in a northwestern town, killing at least 28.
- Pakistani Cleric Spearheads Swat Valley Peace Efforts VOA 19 Feb 2009 -- A hard-line Islamic cleric in Pakistan's Swat valley has met with his Taliban son-in-law in an effort to seek peace in the region.
- India voices 'concern' over Pakistan deal with Taliban IRNA 20 Feb 2009 -- India: "The deal has added to India's "worries" over the security scenario in the region."
- Afghans, U.S. Forces Mark 20th Anniversary of Soviet Exit AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- US forces among guests as the governor of Nangarhar province hosted a celebration marking anniversary of Soviet Union’s withdrawal.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Announces New Joint Capability Technology Demonstrations DoD 20 Feb 2009 -- The Department of Defense (DoD) today announced the selection of 15 Joint Capability Technology Demonstrations (JCTD), including seven new starts and five rolling starts for fiscal 2009, as well as three rolling starts that began at the end of fiscal 2008
- Air Guardsmen fly critical equipment to wildlife refuge AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- California Air National Guardsmen from the 129th Rescue Wing assisted U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials Feb. 17 and 18 by transporting critically needed facility batteries to the Farallon National Wildlife Refuge, located approximately 30 miles off the shore of San Francisco in the Pacific ocean
- First time for AFMC at Red Flag exercise AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- The 416th Flight Test Squadron conquered the vast bombing and gunnery ranges of Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., as they participated in Red Flag 09-2, marking the first time an Air Force Materiel Command unit has ever deployed and participated in the exercise.
- DoD Announces New Comparative Testing Office Projects BUG: the source does not exist 20 Feb 2009 -- The Department of Defense (DoD) today announced the selection of 24 new-start projects being funded in fiscal 2009 under the Comparative Testing Office's (CTO) Defense Acquisition Challenge (DAC) and Foreign Comparative Testing (FCT) programs
- i-ENCON Program Realizes Record $48M Fuel Savings Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- Naval Sea Systems Command announced Feb. 18 that Navy ships realized a record of more than $48 million in fuel cost avoidance during the first quarter of fiscal year 2009.
- Navy Controls Burn, Improves Ecosystem Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- Naval Air Station (NAS) Facilities and Environmental Department conducted its controlled burn Feb. 1 to prevent wildfires at the Outlying Field (OLF) White House.
- USS Harry S. Truman Changes Command Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) held a change of command ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station Feb. 18.
- CNO Visits NAVSEA Field Activities in Northwest Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) concluded a three-day trip Feb. 18 to Navy Region Northwest during which he visited Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) field activities.
- Chief of staff sees UAS role expanding AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- The Air Force chief of staff called the buildup of the unmanned aircraft system program "profoundly important" Feb. 19 during a visit with instructor and student aviators here.
- Innovative Research Advances Army Training, Warfighting AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- Virtual humans, autonomous robots and self-healing armor just a few research areas that may advance warfighting.
- U.S. Seeks Successor to Trident Submarine AFPS 20 Feb 2009 -- US Navy has started the process to find a 21st-century successor to the Trident strategic missile submarine.
- NCIS Lends Expertise to Counterpiracy Operations Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- The crime of piracy on the high seas requires a quick, decisive and coordinated response to address this maritime security threat.
- Marine FAST Company Trains Navy Security Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2009 -- Marines attached to 2nd Platoon Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team, Company Europe conducted bi-annual training with Naval Support Activity Naples.
- Essex Deploys LCACs During Cobra Gold Navy NewsStand 19 Feb 2009 -- The Landing Craft, Air Cushion vehicles assigned to USS Essex supporting training off the coast of Thailand as part of exercise Cobra Gold.
- Chairman cites need for more 'dwell time' between deployments AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- The nation's top military officer expressed concern here about servicemembers and their families "toughing it out".
- Air Force efforts put nuclear security back on track AFNS 20 Feb 2009 -- Prioritization and "incredible attention to detail" have restored "nuclear surety" in the Air Force.
- Clinton Urges North Korea To Avoid Provocative Actions VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton warning North Korea to stick to its nuclear pledges and avoid provocative actions.
- NATO says Ukraine, Georgia must work hard to join alliance RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer: Alliance would keep its doors open to Georgia and Ukraine, but both still had much work ahead of them.
- NATO Ministers Seek To Keep Door Open To Ukraine, Georgia RFE/RL 20 Feb 2009 -- Talks by NATO defense ministers have focused on ways to keep alive membership hopes of Ukraine and Georgia.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Feb 2009
- Briefing by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, 2/20/2009 The White House 20 Feb 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for February 20, 2009
- Boeing to Demonstrate Vigilare Air Battle Management System at IDEX 2009 Boeing 20 Feb 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] will demonstrate the Vigilare integrated air battle management command-and-control (C2) system Feb. 22-26 at the International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX) in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 20 Feb 2009
- Belgium takes Senegal to UN court over prosecution of former Chadian president UN News Centre 20 Feb 2009 -- Belgium has instituted proceedings against Senegal, pressing for the prosecution of a former Chadian president accused of mass torture and other human rights abuses, in the United Nations court that adjudicates disputes between States.
- Signs Could Point To New War Despite Russian, Georgian Step Toward Stability RFE/RL 20 Feb 2009 -- Talks this week in Geneva reached a minor milestone with an agreement on "incident prevention" mechanisms.
- Hamas Denies Trying to Give Obama Letter VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- The Palestinian militant group Hamas is denying that it tried to pass on a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama.
- Tamil Tigers Bomb Sri Lankan Capital VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Sri Lankan military officials say Tamil rebels carried out an aerial bombing raid in the capital of Colombo late Friday.
- Sri Lankan troops capture strategic town in last LTTE bastion IRNA 20 Feb 2009 -- Sri Lankan troops on captured strategic town after fierce battles killing 2 senior LTTE commanders.
- SRI LANKA: Displacement to worsen, aid agencies warn IRIN 20 Feb 2009 -- Scores of civilians caught up in the crossfire stand in the midday heat awaiting assistance.
- Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Negotiations between the Congolese government and political wing of National Congress for People's Defense ends Friday.
- Regional action against crime crucial for stability in Haiti, UN mission chief says UN News Centre 20 Feb 2009 -- For lasting stability in Haiti, neighbouring countries must help foil trans-national crime.
- ZIMBABWE: Remittances saved the country from collapse IRIN 20 Feb 2009 -- The official sanctioning of foreign currency as legal tender in Zimbabwe to tackle hyperinflation is bringing into sharp relief how remittances have staved off the country's complete collapse in recent years.
- Netanyahu to Form New Israeli Government VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres Friday asked right-wing leader Benjamin Netanyahu to form Israel's next government.
- Israeli President Asks Netanyahu to Form New Government VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres has asked right-wing leader Benjamin Netanyahu to form the next Israeli government.
- Russia backs current status of UN Security Council RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- Russia supports the current format of having five veto-holding permanent members on the UN Security Council.
- UN Member States Begin Talks on Security Council Reform VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- UN member states met informally on Thursday to begin talks on key issues of reforming the body's powerful Security Council.
- Announcement of new Somalia cabinet welcomed by UN envoy UN News Centre 20 Feb 2009 -- Senior UN official welcomed the announcement of the new Somali cabinet, and the fact that the new Government will return to Mogadishu this weekend.
- Somalia's New Prime Minister to Name Cabinet Ministers Friday VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Somalia's new PM Ali Sharmarke expected to begin naming cabinet ministers, seen as first step in constituting a unity government.
- Madagascar Forces Retake Ministries VOA 20 Feb 2009 -- Madagascar security forces regained control of four government ministry offices early Friday from supporters of opposition leader Andry Rajoelina.
- In Brief: Madagascar security forces regain control of ministry buildings IRIN 20 Feb 2009 -- If only for a brief moment, groups loyal to opposition leader Rajoelina, seized control of 4 ministry buildings.
- Russia not getting ready to recognize Kosovo - Lavrov RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov dismissed claim by Kosovo PM Thaci that Moscow was ready to recognize province as independent state.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|