08 February 2009 Military News
- MND-B Soldier dies in non-combat related incident (Baghdad)
- Feb. 7 Airpower Summary: A-10s deter enemy actions AFNS 08 Feb 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations Feb. 7, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Feb. 6 Airpower Summary: F-15Es target enemy positions AFNS 08 Feb 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations Feb. 6, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Afghanistan's Karzai Offers Peace to 'Friendly Taliban' VOA 08 Feb 2009 -- At a high-level security conference in Munich, Germany Afghan President Hamid Karzai defended his country's progress toward peace Sunday and urged reconciliation with members of the Taliban that were not part of al-Qaida.
- U.S. Seeks Allied Help For Afghanistan At Munich Conference RFE/RL 08 Feb 2009 -- US President Barack Obama appears to have downscaled U.S. ambitions in Afghanistan.
- Afghan Police: Bomb Blast Kills 4 in Helmand Province VOA 08 Feb 2009 -- Afghan police say a roadside bomb has exploded in the country's southern province of Helmand, killing four people, including two U.S. nationals.
- Pakistani Taliban Release Beheading Video VOA 08 Feb 2009 -- Taliban militants in Pakistan have released a graphic video that appears to show the beheading of a Polish engineer they kidnapped last September.
- Predator crashes in Afghanistan AFNS 08 Feb 2009 -- An Air Force MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft system crashed in southern Afghanistan on Sunday at approx 11:35 a.m. local time.
- US national security advisor concedes mistakes in Afghanistan IRNA 08 Feb 2009 -- The new US national security advisor James L. Jones acknowledged publicly for the first time that his country had made mistakes in Afghanistan
- German defense minister urges new NATO strategy in Afghanistan IRNA 08 Feb 2009 -- German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung on Sunday called for a new NATO strategy in Afghanistan
- Pakistani FM slams US raids on his country IRNA 08 Feb 2009 -- Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi here on Sunday criticized US military attacks on Taliban and al-Qaeda targets in his country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. and S. Korean Puppet Army's Joint Military Exercises Flailed KCNA 08 Feb 2009 -- The US and South Korean army conducted joint military exercises.
- Munich Through The (Non-American) Looking Glass RFE/RL 08 Feb 2009 -- US Vice President Biden was far and away the greatest attraction at this year's 45th Munich Security Conference.
- Russia to stick to its decision on bases in S.Ossetia, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2009 -- Russia's decision to create military bases in Abkhazia and South Ossetia will not be reviewed, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Sunday.
- Russian frigate returns home after anti-piracy duty off Somalia RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2009 -- The Russian missile frigate Neustrashimy, which took part in the anti-pirate operations in the Gulf of Aden, returned to its home port of Baltiysk on Sunday.
- Russia ready for talks with U.S. on nuclear arms cuts - Ivanov RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2009 -- Russia intends to discuss a new nuclear arms pact with the United States as soon as the U.S. side is ready for that, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Sunday.
- Aero India 2009: Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) to Present its Conformal Airborne Early Warning & Control (CAEW) Aircraft Among Other Advanced Defense Solutions and Homeland Security Systems Israel Aerospace Industries 08 Feb 2009
- Northrop Grumman Partnering With Indian Defense Companies On Manufacture of F-16 Radar Components Northrop Grumman 08 Feb 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) has selected Bangalore-based Bharat Electronics Limited and Dynamatic Technologies Limited to manufacture components of the F-16 APG-68(V)9 fire control radar as part of a broader initiative to engage Indian industry as strategic business partners
- Hamas delegation continues ceasefire talks in Egypt RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2009 -- A delegation from the radical Palestinian movement Hamas is continuing consultations aimed at achieving a long-term ceasefire deal with Israel in the Gaza Strip, a member of the Hamas leadership said on Sunday.
- ISRAEL-OPT: Challenges of getting aid to Gazans IRIN 08 Feb 2009 -- Aid agencies are becoming increasingly frustrated with the difficulties of getting humanitarian supplies into the Gaza Strip.
- Sri Lanka Military: 10,000 Civilians Flee War Zone VOA 08 Feb 2009 -- Sri Lanka's military says more than 10-thousand civilians have fled from the country's northern war zone since Wednesday.
- 41 killed as Lankan army destroys Tiger boats, thwarts infiltration IRNA 08 Feb 2009 -- At least 41 Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) cadres were killed, 34 of them in a fierce clash in Mullaittivu, as the advancing Sri Lankan Army thwarted a major rebel infiltration bid on their defense lines.
- UN: More Civilians Return to Rwanda From Congo VOA 08 Feb 2009 -- The UN refugee agency reports a growing number of Rwandan civilians are emerging from remote areas of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo seeking to repatriate.
- Another Wake-Up Call? Europe Remains Divided Over Energy Security Policy RFE/RL 08 Feb 2009 -- Gas shutoff following a pricing spat between Russia and Ukraine could not have taken Europeans by surprise.
- Georgia Fading On EU, NATO Radar Screens RFE/RL 08 Feb 2009 -- Georgia's relations with the European Union and NATO have come to a near standstill.
- Ban urges restraint as Madagascar protests turn deadly UN News Centre 08 Feb 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties in Madagascar to resolve their differences peacefully, while condemning the violence that erupted in the island nation's capital yesterday reportedly killing at least 25 people and injuring dozens.
- Iran's Reformist Khatami Says He Will Run For President RFE/RL 08 Feb 2009 -- Iran's former reformist president, Mohammad Khatami, has said he intends to run for the presidency again.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|