12 July 2008 Military News
- July 11 airpower summary: F-15 drops bomb on target AFPN 12 Jul 2008
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Lawmakers Probe Electrocutions of US Troops in Iraq VOA 12 Jul 2008 -- Members of the U.S. Congress are investigating the electrocutions of 12 soldiers in Iraq
- Winston S. Churchill Celebrates While in Halifax Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81), celebrated the 175th anniversary of the U.S. Consulate in Halifax and the United States' Independence Day a day early, July 3.
- Mullen Meets With Pakistani Leaders AFPS 12 Jul 2008 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff met with Pakistan's military and civilian leaders here today to discuss issues concerning Pakistan's lack of pressure toward insurgents flowing from its border into Afghanistan.
- U.S. 4th Fleet Officially Re-established Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead officially re-established U.S. 4th Fleet and named Rear Adm. Joseph D. Kernan as its commander during a ceremony at Naval Station Mayport July 12.
- Center for Security Forces Holds Change of Command Ceremony Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- The Center for Security Forces held a change of command ceremony July 24 at the Snug Harbor Ballroom aboard Naval Amphibious Base in Norfolk.
- Navy Helo Squadron Helps Tame Wildfires Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- The "High Rollers" of Helicopter Sea Support Squadron 85 are currently supporting multiple operations around the globe, but members of the squadron are also working stateside to help tame raging fires in California.
- BHR Participates in Trident Warrior 2008 Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- After weeks of preparation and communication upgrades, Trident Warrior 2008 (TW 08), a multinational communications exercise, went into full swing June 16 aboard the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6)(BHR).
- BHR Takes 16 of 20 Trophies During RIMPAC Outrigger Competition Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6)(BHR) brought two teams and a total of 10 Sailors who gave it their all in the 2008 Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) Outrigger Canoe Competition July 5.
- BHR visits Pearl Harbor Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6)(BHR) pulled into Naval Station Pearl Harbor June 27 for a 14-day port visit.
- EOD Group 2 Changes Command Navy NewsStand 12 Jul 2008 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group (EODGRU) 2 held a change of command ceremony July 11 at its headquarters at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Va.
- Syrian, Lebanese Presidents to Meet in Paris VOA 12 Jul 2008 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is in Paris where he is expected to meet with his Lebanese counterpart, Michel Suleiman, and attend a regional summit.
- Sudan Asks for Arab League Meeting on ICC Indictments VOA 12 Jul 2008 -- The Sudanese government has called for a special meeting of the Arab League group of countries to discuss the International Criminal Court's (ICC) investigation into war crimes in the Darfur region of Sudan
- Russia, China veto sanctions against Zimbabwe regime RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2008 -- Russia and China used their UN Security Council vetoes to block Western nations' proposals for sanctions against the Zimbabwe regime, which has been widely condemned over recent election violence.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|