04 January 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 04 Jan 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- Jan. 3 airpower summary: C-17s keep supplies moving AFPN 04 Jan 2008
- Coalition Forces in Iraq Kill 2 Terrorists, Detain 12 Suspects AFPS 04 Jan 2008 -- Coalition forces killed two terrorists and detained 12 suspected insurgents today during operations targeting al Qaeda operatives in central and northern Iraq, military officials said.
- Balad radar air traffic controllers run skies of Iraq AFPN 04 Jan 2008 -- It looks simple in theory. All you have to do is keep little blips on a screen from bumping into each other.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 10,000th VX Rocket Eliminated at PBCDF Army News 04 Jan 2008 -- The Pine Bluff Chemical Agent Disposal Facility eliminated the 10,000th VX nerve-agent filled rocket Jan. 3.
- Court Imposes Restrictions on Navy Sonar Use Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- A federal court has ordered the Navy to take additional mitigating measures when training with mid-frequency active sonar off the California coast.
- Swift Deploys to Join Africa Partnership Station Initiative Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- The High Speed Vessel (HSV) 2 Swift departed Naval Amphibious Base (NAB) Little Creek Jan. 4, headed for the western coast of Africa to join the Navy's Global Fleet Station (GFS), Africa Partnership Station (APS) initiative.
- USS Reuben James Visits Malaysia Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- USS Reuben James (FFG 57) entered port in Penang, Dec. 30, just in time for the crew to ring in the New Year.
- Momsen Completes Supply Certification Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- USS Momsen (DDG 92) completed its 2007 Supply Management Certification (SMC) Nov. 27, demonstrating outstanding programs in retail, general store, hazardous material, postal and food services management.
- Higgins Excels During Sustainment Exercise Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- USS Higgins (DDG 76) completed a sustainment exercise (SUSTEX) with the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Dec. 13, conducting a myriad of exercises to demonstrate sustained proficiency in warfare competencies.
- Search for Missing USS Hopper Sailor Concludes Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- The search to locate a Sailor discovered missing from USS Hopper (DDG 70) was called off at 2:05 p.m. local time after 30 hours of extensive searching.
- USS Hopper Experiences Culture of Malaysia Navy NewsStand 04 Jan 2008 -- The Pearl Harbor-based Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Hopper (DDG 70) spent Christmas in port in Penang.
- First phase of legal complex nears completion AFPN 04 Jan 2008 -- The first phase of a $10.2 million project to construct the expeditionary legal complex here inches closer to completion as Air Guard civil engineers put their finishing touches on its various structures.
- Reserve Command Recruiting Service seeks applicants AFPN 04 Jan 2008 -- The Air Force Reserve Command Recruiting Service is now seeking applicants to fill recruiting positions in locations across the globe.
- Air Force officals announce OTS selections AFPN 04 Jan 2008 -- One hundred seventy one men and women from across America have earned an opportunity to become Air Force leaders following their selection for an officer's commission, officials here announced Jan. 3.
- New Units in Germany Helping Injured Soldiers Army News 04 Jan 2008 -- For wounded Soldiers, there are two new units available in Germany to help them transition back to the military or civilian sector.
- Polish, Czech PMs to discuss U.S. missile shield plans next week RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2008 -- Poland's prime minister, Donald Tusk, will visit the Czech Republic next week to discuss U.S. missile shield plans with his Czech counterpart Mirek TopolÓnek, the Polish government spokeswoman said Friday.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Jan 2008
- Press Briefing by Tony Fratto The White House 05 Jan 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for January 04, 2008
- Chief Of Air Staff Impressed With UK's Future Jet Trainer BAE Systems 04 Jan 2008 -- Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy, Chief of Air Staff, has taken the opportunity to fly one of the Hawk Advanced Jet Trainer (Mk 128) development aircraft from BAE Systems at Warton.
- Northrop Grumman Awarded Planning Contract Option for USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) Work Northrop Grumman 04 Jan 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been awarded a planning contract option from the U.S. Navy for the refueling and complex overhaul of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71).
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 04 Jan 2008
- Serious rights abuses committed during March 2007 clashes in DR Congo - UN UN News Centre 04 Jan 2008 -- An investigation by the United Nations human rights office has found that serious abuses - including the use of excessive force, illegal detentions and summary executions - took place during clashes between Government forces and guards of former Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa last March.
- CHAD: Chronic malnutrition worse in west than in conflict zone IRIN 04 Jan 2008 -- With a massive aid operation under way in the east of Chad, where armed conflict has displaced hundreds of thousands of people, little attention is being paid to the west of the country which has the highest chronic malnutrition levels.
- Middle East to remain 'violent' for 4,000 years - Israeli general IRNA 04 Jan 2008 -- The outgoing commander of the Israeli Army HQ is dismissive of the effects of any Middle East peace deal, insisting that there will always be violent conflict in the region.
- DR Congo: UN-backed campaign urges Kivu armed groups to surrender UN News Centre 04 Jan 2008 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is assisting the Government in a new sensitization campaign encouraging all remaining armed groups in North and South Kivu provinces - where fighting has escalated in recent months leading to a dire humanitarian situation - to surrender.
- UN mission in Central African Republic, Chad launches police training programme UN News Centre 04 Jan 2008 -- The United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT) launched a new programme today to train instructors for Chadian police to help victims in the country's east of the crisis in Sudan's war-wracked Darfur region.
- Mike Huckabee, Barack Obama Win First 2008 Election Races Washington File 04 Jan 2008 -- Nearly a year after the 2008 U.S. presidential race began, Republican Mike Huckabee and Democrat Barack Obama are the first campaign victors after winning the Iowa caucuses January 3.
- Georgia: Opposition 'Godfather' Rattles Presidential Election RFE/RL 04 Jan 2008
- Musharraf rejects intelligence agencies role Benazir's assassination IRNA 04 Jan 2008 -- President Pervez Musharraf on Thursday rejected the impression that Pakistan's military or intelligence agencies were involved in the assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|