28 October 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Briefing: Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, Phil Reeker, Andy Passen, Oct. 28, 2007 MNF-I 28 Oct 2007 -- Operational update in Iraq by Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, Phil Reeker and Andy Passen, Oct. 28, 2007
- Oct. 27 airpower summary: Reaper conducts first strike AFPN 28 Oct 2007
- Coalition Forces in Iraq Continue to Disrupt Terrorist Networks AFPS 28 Oct 2007 -- Coalition forces captured two wanted individuals and detained another four suspects early this morning during operations to disrupt al Qaeda networks in central and northern Iraq, and military officials report numerous weapons caches discovered and suspects detained in operations over past several days.
- Dragon Talon II: Troops find cache, detain three MNF-I 28 Oct 2007 -- Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldiers found a rocket rigged as an improvised explosive device and detained three men suspected of insurgent activities during operations in the Rashid District Oct. 26.
- Dragon Talon II: Cache, 13 suspected terrorists seized (Doura) MNF-I 28 Oct 2007 -- Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldiers, acting on tips from residents, found a large weapons cache and detained 13 insurgent suspects during ongoing operations in the Doura area of the Iraqi capital Oct. 25.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Kill Scores of Taliban During Six-Hour Fight AFPS 28 Oct 2007 -- Afghan and coalition forces engaged and killed more than six dozen Taliban fighters near the Musa Qaleh Wadi region of Afghanistan's Helmand province yesterday, officials reported.
- Pakistan Army and militant groups agree ceasefire RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2007 -- Militants and government troops in northwestern Pakistan have agreed a ceasefire in the mountainous region of Swat, where over 50 extremists died over the weekend in clashes, Pakistan TV said Monday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Nimitz Begins its Abbreviated Carrier Incremental Availability Navy NewsStand 28 Oct 2007 -- The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz (CVN 68) became the first carrier in the fleet to experiment with an abbreviated maintenance availability when it officially began its Carrier Incremental Availability (CIA) Oct. 15.
- ETC Sailors Deploy in Support of GFS Navy NewsStand 28 Oct 2007 -- The first group of Sailors attached to Expeditionary Training Command (ETC) boarded USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43), Oct. 24, to participate in a portion of McHenry's seven-month deployment to the Gulf of Guinea and western Africa, the U.S. Naval Forces Europe-led Africa Partnership Station Initiative.
- Erdogan Says Turks, Kurds Should Remain United RFE/RL 28 Oct 2007 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan today called for unity between Turks and Turkish Kurds, and reiterated his government's determination to fight Iraq-based separatist Kurdish rebels.
- Turkish Foreign Minister Says Raid on PKK in Iraq Still an Option VOA 28 Oct 2007 -- Turkey's foreign minister says use of military force against Kurdish rebels in Iraq remains an option
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|