08 July 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- MND-B patrol struck by explosively-formed penetrator
- Two Task Force Soldiers killed in IED attack
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers attacked
- July 6 airpower summary: Strike Eagles counter anti-coalition forces AFPN 08 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations July 6, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- July 7 airpower summary: Compass Call directs electronic warfare AFPN 08 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations July 7, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Coalition Forces Kill, Detain Terrorists; Find, Destroy Weapons Caches AFPS 08 Jul 2007 -- Iraqi security forces and coalition troops have killed four terrorists, detained 21 suspected terrorists and uncovered bomb-making materials and weapons caches during the past three days, military officials reported.
- 13th MEU finds more than 17 metric tons of explosives MNF-I 08 Jul 2007 -- Marines from Weapons Company, Battalion Landing Team 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, discovered more than 17,000 kilograms of explosives in a series of weapons cache finds northeast of Thar Thar Dam July 4-6.
- "Big E" Deploys Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2007 -- The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 departed Naval Station Norfolk for a regularly scheduled deployment July 7 in support of the global war on terrorism.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Detain Militants, Thwart Ambush AFPS 08 Jul 2007 -- Afghan and coalition forces detained six suspected militants today during an operation designed to disrupt the facilitation of insurgent attacks against the Afghan government, military officials said.
- AFGHANISTAN: Insecurity deprives thousands of students of food aid IRIN 08 Jul 2007 -- Thousands of students attending 40 schools in Afghanistan's central Ghazni Province have not received food assistance from the World Food Programme (WFP) for over a month due to insecurity in the area, local officials told IRIN.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Oak Hill Returns to Homeport Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2007 -- The dock landing ship USS Oak Hill (LSD 51) returned home July 3 to Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek.
- YEMEN: Despite ban on arms, activists warn of increasing violence IRIN 08 Jul 2007 -- Following a 2 July suicide car bombing that killed seven Spanish tourists and two Yemenis in Marib, the government and activists are stepping up efforts to rid the country of weapons.
- Sri Lankan navy confronts with Sea Tigers in Trincomalee seas IRNA 08 Jul 2007 -- Sri Lankan navy and the Sea Tigers clashed in the eastern Trincomalee district late last night, with the navy claiming that it had repulsed a two-pronged rebel attack both on land and sea.
- Israel Approves Release of 250 Palestinian Prisoners VOA 08 Jul 2007 -- Israel has decided to release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in a bid to revive the peace process
- Israeli Foreign Minister Meets With New Palestinian PM VOA 08 Jul 2007 -- Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni held talks Sunday in Jerusalem with Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad - their first meeting since the new Palestinian government was formed last month.
- Pakistan Mosque Leader Vows to Continue Standoff VOA 08 Jul 2007 -- Pakistani commandos blasted new holes in the walls around an Islamabad mosque where armed militants are reportedly holding hundreds of women and children hostage
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|